main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ON What do you think of a Relaxicon?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Woofer, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Despite my work schedule keeping me really busy I keep toying with the idea of running a small relaxicon someplace down in Niagara perhaps.

If you don't know, a relaxicon is basically a very small convention. No guests, some panels, maybe a small costume contest, art room, filking etc run from a hotel.

Think of it as a weekend-long party with friends.

Toronto Trek 1 (which I was at) was a relaxicon. Look what happened to that!

If the Niagara relaxicon is success, it could even become a yearly thing.

If you are interested, make your voice heard. I figure what we'd need is about 6 dedicated people to organize everything. We'd need a chairperson, hotel liasion, membership co-ordinator, publicity person, media person (to arrange a video room), and someone to run the costume contest.

Probably we can hook up with some of the Con staff from Toronto Trek etc for advice, or get them to help with the costume contest, or art room.

The cost per person should be minimal (say $10-20 for the whole weekend) plus the cost of the room, and it should have a membership cap. Probably around 100 people max. Anything larger will be difficult to get space for and to maintain as a first time convention.

Of course it could have a Star Wars theme, but even a generic SF/media theme will do. Heck it doesn't even have to be in Niagara, maybe Hamilton/Burlington will give us a better selection of hotels.

As you can see, I have a buch of ideas right now. I'd be interested to see how much interest there is to actually do it now.
    So whaddya say?

2. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Han_YoungJediNiagara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2001
    Go for it! Sounds like a nice alternative tho the huge expenses of a normal Con.

3. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    That does sound cool. We were discussing that at a past YJN meeting, but he haven't gone any further than that.

4. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    I'm for it, I might even consider helping organize it, just don't know how.

5. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I've posted a poll to get a better idea of what kind of event people would most like to attend. Please vote and add your comments there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.