main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What Do You Think Of The Dyad?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ScorpioGirl, Sep 20, 2020.

?

What do you think of the Dyad?

1. I like the idea

39 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. Hate the idea and hope they never bring it up again

54 vote(s)
    47.0%
  3. Neutral

22 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Personally, I kind of like the idea of two Force-users connecting. It definitely came in handy for Rey and Ben.

2. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I love the idea because I think that SW should evolve beyond Jedi/Sith duality and introduce new forms of Force users. And they can always do Jedi/Sith in movies/shows set in timelines before ST one aka past. However, they killed the concept immediately after naming it. It had great potential for action scenes because of dyad's ability to share space in 2 different planets if necessary and pass objects through the Force.

IMO, I would end ST with the dyad staying in the Unknown Regions while the classical Jedi teachings would be thought in the Galaxy Far Far Away (after all, books are with the Resistance). That way, they could, if they needed, make movies and shows set in the future with both Jedi (GFFA) and dyad (UR) so that would keep SW fresh. Oh well.

Darkstrider and Anakin_and_Padme like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think it’s awful. In-universe it’s a means to say that Rey and Kylo have no choice about being together and never have, despite Kylo’s mistreatment of Rey up until the very end of TROS. It is used throughout the movie as a means for him to invade her personal space through the Force Skypes, despite the fact that when she was actually using her brain and when her spine was still intact, she told him that she did not want him there. Out-of-universe it is used as a plot device to explain why they ended up together in the end because there was no other explanation (beyond the most dumb and shallow) that made sense.

George Lucas, even when he did talk about destiny, always included choice as a primary aspect of his characters’ journeys, with the Chosen One and that godawful Mortis arc being the only possible exceptions. The Dyad does not leave room for choice outside of GFFA Stockholm Syndrome.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There is potential in the idea...

...But what it was on screen was a band-aid on an amputated limb that was gushing blood, designed to resolve the fact that there was no real relationship between Rey and Kylo, but LFL demanded there be *something* there anyways,

The Force Skype stuff I like, but that doesn’t exclusively come from the Dyad, nor does high power levels.

If you want characters bonded for a story like that, it’s better to show it actually being built and created by their choice, rather than hammering in a bad version of the soul mates idea.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    As presented on film considering they just name it and don’t actually explain what it is. It’s just about the worst concept ever introduced into Star Wars and is pure nonsense

6. Anakin_and_Padme

Anakin_and_Padme Jedi Master

Nov 27, 2010
    I liked the idea, but it wasn't executed properly. It should've been mentioned way before TROS.

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    It felt like a poorly developed version of Force soulmates and the way it was conveyed to the audience in TROS just felt like an infodump instead of anything meaningful. It really seemed like something just invented for TROS at the eleventh hour to try to explain the connection between Kylo and Rey. If it were better developed in the movies, I might have liked it even though the soulmates trope in general is not a favorite of mine unless there is some twist like reincarnation. Then it can become more complex and interesting. Actually Star Wars with its drawing on Eastern spirituality could have gone with something like reincarnation and it would've been better than what we got with the Force Dyad as explained in TROS. The more I think about it, the more I probably would've found an ST where Kylo and Rey were reincarnated souls compelling.

8. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Absolutely awful. It was, seemingly, just a plot device to enable Palpatine to rejuvinate without rhyme or reason... Abrams is really bad at the quasi-religious/philosophical stuff (primarily because I imagine he has little knowledge of it), which is why the concept is so weak.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  9. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I personally like the idea and hope we look deeper into it in the future. While I personally couldn't stand Rey and Kylo's relationship and how forced (no pun intended) it was, the idea of the force connecting 2 people beyond time and space is so intriguing to me. I just think they did an extremely poor job at explaining the whole dyad thing and that's the main reason so many people hate it.

At the end of the day it's literally just that Palpatine was growing too powerful and no one person could defeat him, so the force needed to bring two together to finish the job. And what better people than the descendants of Anakin and Palpatine himself? All is as the force wills it.

10. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    It was a pretty stupid idea imo.

And then in TROS they could teleport items to each others which made the movie feel like low level fan fiction to me.

Really it annoys me that J J abrams mocked George Lucas ideas("He likes his midichlorians") and yet he ended up introducing this lame idea into Star Wars lore.

11. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I like the idea. I'm not sure I love everything about the way it was used in TROS.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  12. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I hate it (ultimate shocker). Its been done far better with Bastilla and revan, so I actually hated the dyad in the DT as it felt like a plot device instead of a natural story component.

13. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    And there in lies the problem with the approach to the ST... if the force needed to 'bring two together to finish the job', then it by default undermines Anakin's/Luke's part in that overarching story, because they didn't have the capability to finish the job themselves. And if indeed the 'Dyad' is more powerful than the 'Chosen One', it begs the question as to why the force would't have just created the dyad instead of the chosen one in the first instance? =P~

wobbits, dolphin, DarthTalgus and 3 others like this.
  14. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    But the question of why the force didn’t create a chosen one to prevent the rise of the Sith in the first place is already being begged. Or why did the force create a chosen one that would facilitate the rise of the Sith...The force is clearly a step slow.

dolphin, TCF-1138 and Sarge like this.
  15. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    Oh I completely agree with all of that. I was never happy with Palps coming back or the fact that it undermines the whole idea of the chosen one. The sequel trilogy is a mess in that regard. I was just referring to the basic concept of the dyad which I like a lot.

Darth PJ likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The dyad is another case of lost potential. Could have been interesting, but wasn't. It's the ST analog of the PT chosen one prophecy (in the worst ways).

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  17. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The entire PT was built on the concept of a chosen one bringing balance to the force. Hokiness aside, that was a fundamental part of its narrative backdrop. Regardless of whether one likes the quasi-religious/philosophical overtones that Lucas introduced with it, it still allows for there to be an internal logic that gives it, relatively speaking, some narrative thrust. That there would be a 'tipping point' where the force would intervene, when out of balance, seems a reasonable conceit in my opinion. However, it gets much more problematic when the aforementioned 'balance' becomes something less tangible than what was presented in the Lucas era.
    Did the 'Chosen One' facilitate the rise of the Sith (as you suggest), or was Anakin becoming Vader the only way to ensure the end of the Sith (the *end* as we understood it in the Lucas films)??? If Anakin had never been born, Palpatine would have still been elected Supreme Chancellor and Order 66 would have still happened, but would anyone have been able to get as close as Vader/Anakin and kill Palpatine in an act of selflessness? I doubt it. That the ST makes balance and the prophecy seem much more nebulas (not by design but by default IMO), erodes the internal logic surrounding what the force is, and ultimately what it would want for the galaxy. That the dyad is positioned as something that was required to finish off Palpatine, and bring balance, only works to undermine what went before.

18. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    The dyad is called 'prophesized dyad' in the VD. A sith prophecy.

Lucas said Anakin was still the chosen one after he turned, as a sith.

So maybe the prophecy contained truth, seen from the jedi and the sith POV, but not the whole truth. Misread by both sides.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant

And Anakin, I'd say, was still the chosen one after dying. The sith did not know about force ghosts. Palpatine didn't, in any case. Maybe using Vader's stuff, like the helmet, was a bad idea. The guy was still around.

19. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    I think the dyad is fairly dumb in concept. HOWEVER... Rey holding hands and making goo goo eyes at Kylo Ren is 10000 times more idiotic. Therefore, I get why the dyad concept is there. I totally understand the impulse in TROS to try to explain Rey's poor characterization in the previous movie. And quite frankly, well founded story reasons aren't there, so "um, magic, I guess" is what we are stuck with. Force mumbo jumbo is meant to be a better alternative than "our protagonist is a shallow dimwit."

20. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    The concept of the dyad, like the Grandpa Palpatine reveal, doesn’t feel right because it wasn’t properly developed throughout the trilogy. TLJ had Snoke using Force-Skype sessions to manipulate Rey and Kylo. TRoS casually brushes that aside by revealing that the two are so powerfully connected that Kylo can stalk Rey from the other end of the galaxy.

Just like Grandpa Palpatine, this could have been an interesting storyline had it been properly conceived of and developed in TFA and TLJ.

Chancellor Yoda, themoth and Sarge like this.
  21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I'm still not convinced that Rey isn't a shallow dimwit though.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was going to say “why not both?”

23. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Easily the best part of the ST.

dolphin likes this.
  24. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    It doesn't make sense. It leads to nothing except bringing Palpatine to full power, who Rey then takes out 10 minutes later. What other purpose does it serve? Absolutely nothing. It could have been a cool concept, if it went anywhere, but it doesn't do anything. The only thing it does is force Rey and Kylo to interact in TLJ (even though Snoke said he bridged their minds, so... is it the dyad or not? Who knows). To me it's basically made because of this:

Other than bringing Palpatine to full power, it serves no purpose to the story.

25. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Everything you've just applied to the Chosen One logic could be applied to the Dyad in an equally valid way. Maybe the only way to truly end the Sith was for the Force to create a Chosen One and then follow it up with a Dyad when the time was right. That's no less plausible than the Force needing to hold off on creating a Chosen One until the galaxy was already in ruin.