main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What Do You Think Of The Dyad?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ScorpioGirl, Sep 20, 2020.

?

What do you think of the Dyad?

1. I like the idea

39 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. Hate the idea and hope they never bring it up again

54 vote(s)
    47.0%
  3. Neutral

22 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes... what you're describing is a plot device, designed by Abrams, to explain why Rey and Kylo are attracted to each other. It's a conceit born out of necessity... as Abrams and Johnson never give the plot/characters enough time to establish (organically) why they would be attracted to each other. So the path of least resistance is to establish that they are bonded through some unfathomable force connection... but then Abrams doesn't give the plot device (the dyad) the establishment it needs to suspend disbelief. So we end up with Rey and Kylo being bonded via the dyad because???

2. Force Teleportation is Canon with the New Canon
    the ability to destroy a Planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force

3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Force teleportation is ... dumb. At least, or especially, as it’s used in the ST.

And really that’s basically the only thing the Dyad comes down to power-wise. Well that, and as a means of a sith darksider to rejuvenate themselves.

Everything else presented as the “dyad” is just normal force powers relabeled. Just like everything else in the ST is a relabeling of an OT concept.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    PendragonM likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m glad the OT did not have Force stalking in a pretty package the Dyad.

5. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The quote from Vader is more a quasi-philosophical comment pertaining to the physical and meta-physical world. Force users being able to teleport objects is kind of the opposite. It's a blunt, uncreative and ultimately problematic force power to develop in films.

Watcherwithin and PendragonM like this.
  6. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    There's a little bit of force stalking in ANH. When Vader senses the presence of OWK nearby on the DS, he starts hunting him down. But it's conceptualized appropriately where Vader is more like sniffing him out. As if OWK is leaving a faint trail through the force and Vader is a bloodhound picking up the scent.

Kylo being able to literally know where Rey is at all times, and can reach out his hand to grab her is beyond dumb.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And her being OK with it—ever—is even dumber.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol Kylo doesn't know where Rey is at all times. He spends TLJ having no idea what planet she's on. He also has no idea she's on his ship in TROS until parts of it teleport to his location. Let's try to say things that aren't so obviously incorrect.

I also have to say that destroying a planet is not insignificant next to the ability to teleport a lightsaber a short distance. Teleportation is a common sci-fi technology, so it's possible Star Wars tech could teleport things eventually.

9. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think the issue with that kind of 'feat' as a force power (in a Star Wars film specifically), is that it literally means that force users can alter space and time, and as a consequence, pushes them more into the 'God' like category, which usually undermines drama IMO... Granted, force users have 'super powers', but by and large these were more heightened human skills/senses, rather than the ability to walk on water etc.

Conversely, when something like teleportation is used to denote technological advancement, it then can start to blur the lines between Sci-Fi and Sci-Fantasy. Of course, it wouldn't be unreasonable to believe that in a galaxy where faster than light speed is possible, as well as cloning etc., then teleportation seems like a small step... but I think the OT/PT struck a good balance without the need for some of those other sci-fi tropes.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t think of the dyad.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ That's probably for the best.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    We need a corny little nonsense play on words. "I think it die-adds, amirite?" Something like that.

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You're killin' me, Smalls.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Dyad is just how a Bostonian pronounces Die Hard.

15. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    It was nice to have a Legends idea become canon. Revan and Bastila Shan were a Dyad, and so to have the concept in canon is a nice touch. I think Luke and Leia are sibling dyad.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Dyad is what I used to yell at my screen before ad blockers were invented.

17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I think Rey and Finn could become a potential Dyad, that is if Finn ever gets to telling her what he was trying to tell her in TROS.

18. Artorian_Stormtrooper

Artorian_Stormtrooper Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2019
    The idea that someone could be watching Rey fighting the air and looking like a complete buffoon while random things appear out of thin air is absolutely idiotic. It literally makes no sense. Also, teleportation is better suited for X-Men.

DarkGingerJedi and Darth PJ like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm trying not to, kid. :han:

20. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    If teleportation is a thing that force users can do, then I'd want that to be a BIG deal. Like you'd need a room of Yoda's sitting in a circle and they open a literal portal/wormhole for something to travel through. Hell, that could have been a thing Dead Palpatine needed to like...enter the galaxy again or something.

No ... movie style magic where Rey places the saber behind her back, and it suddenly goes to Kylo because Palpatine can't see it lol.

Darth PJ likes this.
  21. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Teleportation was unusual, as was dueling in the Metaverse?

22. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The concept of a Dyad is whatever. I'm neutral to the idea. But to incorporate that idea so late into the trilogy/saga and so nonchalantly... It just seemed like the movie would have done fine without it.

Snoke took credit for bridging their minds in TLJ, to give Rey bait to the idea that Kylo could be redeemed. And that put a nice little bow on it. But now they're passing stuff back and forth and having telepathic saber battles and Kylo asserts that they are a dyad because.... reasons?

And then Palpatine says it again to say its a power like life itself, which is just a really awkward thing to say for plot convenience of restoring Palpatine. Restoring Palpatine was really the only time that it really added anything to the plot, and I'm sure it was worth adding the concept of a dyas for that.

23. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Well technically TFA and TLJ had the Dyad without the word, Rey and Kylo keep connecting across time and space.

24. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    In TFA they met by circumstance/destiny.

In TLJ their minds are linked for unknown reasons, until Snoke says that he is responsible for doing it. Snoke remarks that she’s his counterpart in the Force, but that is presented just as something natural about that Force, that as Darkness rises, Light will grow to meet it. So they are destined to conflict, the are opposites to counterbalance the other, but there’s no indication that this is anything particularly special. Snoke (and therefore Palpatine?) expected this to occur, while them being a Dyad was unexpected.

In RotS they then went with the angle that there’s some super special connection between, the likes of which hasn’t been witnessed in a long time and whose powers Palpatine can use to go from an animated cadaver to a decrepit wizard, because why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    They have the same connection as any other close force related beings go. There's almost no difference between what they have in TLJ, and what Luke and Vader have in ESB. RJ is clear why he 'invented' this connection, even though he credits ESB for the idea, for one particular reason. To tie up Rey so she goes from hating Ben to loving him, because there was no other way she'd do it on her own.

He then credits the opening or bridging of the connection to Snoke, as a way to test Kylo, and it continues after he dies. Which makes some sense at least.

JJ for some reason, tries to explain it further when he didn't even have to and he makes it make no sense as a result. If Snoke was created or controlled or voiced by Palpatine, which is what we see in TROS, and Snoke took credit for the bridged connection, that means that Palpatine should at least know about the strange connection that either Snoke created or was just lying about...but then by having Palpatine also have no clue about this special connection until Rey and Kylo in the room before him, JJ creates an unforced error for absolutely no reason other than he wasn't really paying attention to RJ or even his own writing.

The Dyad itself is rather stupid and seems to be only very useful for undead Sith Lords who need extra force power to rejuvenate themselves. The power itself offers up almost nothing to the actual people in the dyad, other than teleportation powers, which seems rather specific and non-special at the same time. And when given to a light sider and a dark sider, it's almost of no value whatsoever to the light sider who is now connected to a dark sider who is using the power to try and murder them.

Def Trooper, Darth PJ and TaradosGon like this.