main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What do you think of the fact that Han and Leia were no longer together in the Sequel Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Feb 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I was kind of sad that they were separated, but their reunion was the most touching scene of TFA for me. "You changed your hair." "Same old jacket." They did a great job of playing people who still care and are very carefully trying to find their way back to familiar ground.

2. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    It would have felt quite cheesy to me for them to be a married couple still. Their separation felt more genuine I thought, and seemed right. Glad that they were amicable though.

3. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    So happiness and a strong relationship is cheesy?

4. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I just love how some conclusions are drawn on this forum. If I said that I liked dogs, no doubt somebody would jump in and say “Whut? So you hate cats then do you?” :D

I didn’t say happiness and a strong relationship are cheesy, I said that, for me, it would have felt cheesy for Han Solo and Princess Leia to still be a married couple in Episode 7. What they did with them felt more genuine.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I have to admit that I find the different POVs on their separation/capacity to still be together interesting; some of it, at least, is a reflection of the way that modern times have exposed how many relationship ultimately don’t last (as a history geek, I think the idea that relationships were more successful in the past is a bit naive - there were simply other times where concealing a dead relationship was more socially prudent).

I would argue that it’s no more cheesy to picture them still being married than it is cynically pretentious to argue they wouldn’t realistically stay together - rather, it reflects some of the different attitudes and interpretations people had of both the characters and the franchise as a whole, and wha5 makes it emotionally rewarding.

I know that part of the reason I was okay with it in TFA was because I saw it not as the result of Han and Leia’s perosnalitiy’s, but rather exclusively of Ben’s failures as a human being, and that the film around it made me interpret it less as an actual break-up or divorce, and more as a pained estrangement from two people still in a practical sense married but temporarily separated. They felt to me more like a pair of workaholics so disturbed by their son’s actions and mutual feelings of personal guilt that they both went into a kind of personal “penance”... that TFA then effectively ends just in time for Han to tragically die, emotionally reconciled with Leia.

But that was strictly my interpretation.

And it’s interesting to see people who out of hand reject the idea of them having the likely capacity to stay together, because I think it feeds right into a more cynical read of the characters... one that I tend to find (not always, though) coincides with thinking that they were less than stellar parents to Ben, or that Luke’s breakdown makes sense for him, or that Finn really was still selfish at the end of TFA in spite of the contradicting evidence.

In a way, the view someone has to Han and Leia’s estrangement acts like a weather vane as to how much they’re likely to accept or not accept TLJ’s more cynical storytelling. People who reject it outright tend to already have signifcant issues with TFA that TLJ isn’t going to overcome and may exacerbate, people who see it as acceptable but exclusively as the result of Ben’s extreme misbehavior tend to like TFA and reject TLJ as myopic and badly biased, and people who think it’s a natural output of Han and Leis’s stories are more likely to groove with TLJ overall.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    What a wasted opportunity. It was bad. Han and Leia separated but neither was seeing other people. That romance we saw in the OT was totally squandered. Two old singles out among the stars

They should have taken it much further. Like Han and Rey should have been a romantic thing. It’d be like Indy and Henry with Elsa, only Kylo and Han with Rey. @};- Two starships passing in the night. That would have made things real interesting when Leia meets Rey. [face_pumpkin] Ford is a leading man. Inappropriate age differences are a tradition in Hollywood as old as subtitles for other languages. Give kids something to strive for.

As for Leia. Disney would never have the cahonas to pull this off, but G.Lucas wouldn’t pull any punches. Leia would be dating the king of the robots. They say it’s for political alliances but you know behind closed blast doors sparks fly. That would make things real interesting when C-3PO is around. :c3po:

And then there is Admiral Holdo. I still want her to be part of the resistance but tensions mount and things get weird for Leia when Holdo insists on making a fur coat out of 1+138 Ewok pelts. She’s obsessed with it. [face_monkey]

AusStig likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I would assume so.

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I assumed drunk. But sarcasm works too.

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
  11. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    "Happy Birthday Honey"
    "What, not even a car? What kind of sugar daddy are you?"
    [​IMG]

"I'll leave him if you promise to buy me a horse"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Yes. 200% sarcastic.

Not drunk at all. [face_coffee] Definitely sleepy. I-)

13. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    I thought it was realistic and made sense.

Why?

Because I always questioned the stability of the relationship in the first place. It was a time of war when they met, a nearly 15 year age difference between them,not to mention their stations in life. There was always an attraction there - he being the bad boy that was never allowed in her circle , she being the preppy princess that was considered out of his league. And war has a way of throwing people together, along with their adrenaline,fear, and intense feelings, and leading to passion between 2 people who otherwise couldn't stand each other. But what happens when the war is over,and you have to try and settle into an actual relationship : without the constant adrenaline, without the rush, without the intensity? Folding clothes is a far cry from running down a hallway with blasters blazing. While they both claimed love for each other, those utterances were in heat of the moment situations where both believed death was a very real possibility. When everything settled down, and domesticity reared it's head, I could easily see it being 2 people who had nothing in common outside the war,with 2 conflicting personalities, and 2 agendas in mind on what their future should be.

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I agree with you. I like that with all that against them it sounds like Han and Leia kept it together until Ben Solo turned to the Dark Side or at the earliest Ben was sent away from them. And then we learn in The Rise of Skywalker that Palpatine was out there working against everyone. I get the feeling Palpatine for all his huge ambitions to rule the galaxy for all time is also extremely petty and needed to personally get revenge on everyone who defeated him in Return of the Jedi. And part of that revenge included breaking up Han and Leia. Like chance would anyone have with the devil working against their marriage.

Lobot's Wig likes this.
  15. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Divorce rate is at 50 percent or was last time I checked. so of course there are reasons for them breaking up. But there are also reasons for them staying together. Why always the most negative outcome for the ST?

Jedi Ben, PendragonM, wobbits and 8 others like this.
  16. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm not opposed to the idea in and of itself. It's just when taken together with everything else, with all the other failures in the ST, it all becomes so much.

If Leia and Han being separated were the only thing that had failed ... I think less people would ultimately have a problem with it and would be open to the idea. But we have Luke, basically reduced to a huge failure and isolated. Ben Solo is a dark sider, a failure, isolated from his family. Han is back to pirating, and living with the dog. Leia is running the Resistance, who's job it is, is to resist/fight her own son. There's no NR, well there is, but that failed too. There's no New Jedi Order cuz that failed and was destroyed off screen. R2 is in a coma.

It's just a huge series of failures. One after the other. And while I get that Ben failing to the dark side is the linch pin in all of it...it's still quite a bit to ... I dunno..be happily entertained about.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    The Last Failure. [face_laugh]

DarthFixxxer, AusStig and PendragonM like this.
  18. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I completely agree. I did not find TLJ entertaining at all!! In fact watching that film was a HORRIBLE experience that I never plan to repeat. TFA was a tad more “entertaining”, but it started a whole lot of terrible ideas, including no new Jedi order; Han’s death; another Skywalker family member lost to darkness; the destruction of the New republic; and only a minute cameo of Luke; yet another empire versus rebellion kind of conflict; with little in the way of creativity and those stupid mystery boxes that went nowhere. I never did go to see TROS, and from what I have been hearing about it, it sounds like I made a great choice. In my opinion, TLJ broke SW. What used to be a fun and entertaining franchise became a nightmare.

Jedi Ben, AusStig, PendragonM and 3 others like this.
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Because Darth Sidious is pulling the stings unseen behind the scenes to make our heroes lives miserable in as many was as possible. Han and Leia’s marriage didn’t just fail. It was attacked and made to fail by the greatest evil in the galaxy. I sort of love Palpatine plotting his evil on such a small personal level because he is so petty.

At the same time scattering the people who already defeated him once so they are no longer united to go against him again is also a sound strategy,

20. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah. Palpatine is plotting to overtake the galaxy but first....he must make Han and Leia get divorced. It’s pivotal to the whole thing.

Palpatine isn’t a god. And this sounds like a cheesy sitcom.

PendragonM, wobbits, mtt02263 and 7 others like this.
  21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Of course he’s not a god. A god wouldn’t be that hateful and petty. The Sith want their revenge. Palpatine wants his enemies defeated and alone. It sounds like a genius character trait for an evil megalomaniac who stops at nothing to survive and rule.

22. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Darth Sidious... the alternative marriage guidance counsellor... [face_laugh]

23. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I found it contrived. We were told about their breakup, but never shown it. And when we saw them together on the screen in "TFA", they behaved as if they had never divorced in the first place.

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Did they divorce? I got the feeling they were still committed to each other. They just took off in different directions. Neither was moving on or seeing other people.

Sarge likes this.
  25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    There are ... bad... gods too. Satan is basically a demi-god. There are plenty of evil gods in mythology. Gods are just beings with the following:
    • Omnipotence - Deities have the power to do almost anything.
    • Immortality - Deities are not subject to age, disease, time and death. ...
    • Invulnerability - They are invulnerable, to a degree, to physical attack. ...
    • Magic: Gods are known to have an innate ability to perform magic.
    Saying that Palpatine orchestrated Leia and Han's separation is putting him on god level. The Jedi and Sith have one of these; Magic. The Jedi can retain their identity after death, but that doesn't make them immortal. Palpatine probably wants to be a god. He wants unlimited power. He wants to immortality. He wants to be invulnerable. And he's got plenty of magic.

But that doesn't mean the story should make him one. It doesn't mean he should be puppet-mastering every single event in the galaxy, even while he's basically dead and supposedly so weak he needs a dyad to get his powers back, all the way down to separating character's marriage, as part of his come-back plan.