main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What do you think of the fact that Han and Leia were no longer together in the Sequel Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Feb 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Believe me when I say that I am a Han fan. I was always Han Solo when we played Star Wars as kids, and I have more Han Solo merch and figures here among my vintage and Black Series collection than any other, but I didn't mind that he died.

Big Han and Little Han
    [​IMG]

2. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Yes, absolutely. I'm perfectly willing to admit to that. Why would I want characters I enjoyed who previously had a happy ending to have that ripped away from them? The Bad Guys are the ones who are supposed to get their comeuppance, not the Good Guys. It's cathartic. I hated what they did to Admiral Ackbar and allegedly Nien Nunb, for the same reason. Nothing was gained narratively by bringing them back just to kill them off unceremoniously. It's not that surprising that writers would waste minor characters without much of a second thought though. It is hard to fathom why the main characters of a $4 Billion franchise were treated more like a threat than an asset. There are people who didn't mind what happened to them but who's benefit was it really for? If they had been in regular mentor roles would anybody have complained? Just from a pure business sense I don't understand it the decision to undercut them so thoroughly. For example, I thought Han's interactions with Rey and Finn worked really well, and nothing about those scenes required his marriage to be falling apart.

TLDR:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think I've explicitly stated something like this numerous times.:p

Though for a more nuanced explanation, I always felt that their ending had to be "satisfactory" rather than happy - ROTJ *does* contain some bittersweet elements itself, and I felt it could stand a little bit more, but I always felt like there should be a reward for having invested in their stories beyond the "mythically tragic" aspect that others can enjoy.

I was, for instance, fine with TFA at first, because I felt that Rey and Finn were being integrated into Han's legacy and would enjoy yet greater ties to it later - a lot of which was tied to my speculation at where the "naturally rewarding" story arcs would go, which it shouldn't be surprising was predicated a lot on Rey being a Skywalker/Solo.

For me, that would make Finn's time with Han a symbolic "passing of the Torch" from one "Normie Romantic Lead to a Skywalker" to another - because I felt that was by far the best direction for the characters, tied Finn into the legacy via a romance with Rey, but managed to be somewhat different thanks to Finn's background. Similarly, Kylo would be freed up form carrying the entire weight of his family legacy, which would make the films less likely to focus on him at Rey's expense... thus opening up a dramatic reason to let him survive the films, whether redeemed or not (though leaning towards redeemed.) And of course, I felt that a Rey Skywalker/Solo provided a strong foundation for her character, made her part of the grander legacy the main films were (and still are, really) defined by, with the possibility of a more combative relationship with Luke opening up the doorway as well for Leia to be her mentor as well as Ben's eventual lifeline.

And in *that* scenario... you could still easily have Han and Luke die without me feeling their story is one of depressing failure, and *maybe* Leia as well. The main reason is obvious, of course - the new characters become their legacy, and very directly carry on the fight while also becoming personal victories for those characters even as they die. That is an entirely different POV than watching them all die because their only new child was a turd and Luke couldn't train any other Jedi.

But on the simplest level... well, there's a reason why most Robin Hood stories end on "He and Maid Marian lived happily ever after" while his famous death scenes from legend has only showed up in one movie - people find happier endings more rewarding.

Sarge, Jedi Ben, AusStig and 4 others like this.
  4. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I don't even think I'd want everything happy/fortunate/fairytale/hunky-dory. I just don't like that it was all sad/misfortunate/deconstructed-fairytale. There is a middle ground.

Sarge, Jedi Ben, AusStig and 7 others like this.
  5. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    If I wanted to watch movies or shows where happy endings were scoffed at and divorces are expected, common place occurrences I'd choose any number of current tv series' or cynical movies. Star Wars has been an escapist good vs evil story and not real world nihilistic commentary.

I wasn't expecting a full blown catch up of Han and Leia's trials and tribulations since ROTJ and I can reasonably understand not everything would have gone hunky dorey for them since ROTJ but it was just unnecessary to undo everything about the previous films. Not one single upbeat moment was spared.

6. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    This is not what I am talking about. What I am saying is this: It doesn't matter if (in the world of make believe in between ROTJ and TFA) Han and Leia aren't together. Not really. I don't need them to exist forever as a married couple or "together" offscreen in my head cannon. There was no guarantee at the end of ROTJ that they'd even get married and have kids. That's EU stuff. Question: were Han and Leia even living together in ROTJ? Seems like they were still in the newish phase of a relationship considering Han just found out Luke wasn't a factor/romatic competitor at the end of the film.

In any event: It is very apparent in TFA that they are still in love, and the spark that they shared in the OT is still up there on the screen for me to witness/enjoy. That's all I care about. That's the story.

I cannot speak for what you would/wouldn't expect.

Personally, I wouldn't expect Han, Luke, and Leia to return to ROTJ "happily ever after" status quo for a few reasons:

1. There is no drama in continuing the story (having sequels) if our legacy characters are "untouchable." Having threats/foes/challenges that have no real stakes makes for a dull story.

2. Another guaranteed happy ending for Han/Luke/Leia doesn't really fit the Star Wars pattern. Consider Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi dies in the sequels to his trilogy. Yoda does too. Han, Luke, and Leia, are retroactively fulfilling a similar mentor/torch passing role as Yoda and Obi-Wan. The mentors die in these kinds of stories so the new protagonists can live/survive/attain (mostly) on their own.

3. Another guaranteed happy ending for Han/Luke/Leia doesn't fit classical hero/myth patterns: Han, Luke, Leia ARE not primarily comic book characters. They age. They evolve. They raise/assist the next generation. They die. The OT3 are not in the mold of Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman. They are much closer to the classical myths and heroes of old. King Arthur dies. Robin Hood dies. Hercules dies. Achilles dies.

4. Considering the pattern of Star Wars storytelling and classical hero stories, I don't think the fates of Han, Luke, Leia were all that sad or unexpected. Luke and Leia as Force spirits gazing at Rey was a genuinely touching moment. I was bummed about Han dying, yet his scene with Ben/Ren in TROS offered a lot of redemption and, more importantly, purpose to his death scene. If not for Han's (and Leia's) sacrifice, Ben Solo would not have returned. It was bittersweet and well done.

Nothing was "shredded." ROTJ still occurs. You wanted that one, pristine, shining moment by the Ewok fire to essentially last forever? What saga/movie series does that?

Consider the Rocky franchise: Rocky Balboa doesn't have Adrian forever. The love of his life dies (offscreen no less). Rocky he doesn't stay the champion, Rocky doesn't remain rich, Rocky's friends and family all die, Drago returns, Rocky is even estranged from his son. Does that "shred" Rocky's accomplishments or his happy ever afters from the previous films/conflicts? Do movies Rocky I-VI suddenly get tarnished or "shredded" by the events in Creed I and II?

I am trying to explain to you why I am happy with it, and since you brought it up, it does feel like you are gatekeeping many facets of the Sequel Trilogy and the enjoyment of them by fans.

7. LedReader

Oct 24, 2019
    As @godisawesome alluded to even ROTJ itself combined a joyous celebration with Luke holding his father's funeral for its ending and it worked fine.

8. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    This is an interesting point. I often wonder whether the reaction to Obi-Wan Kenobi's and Yoda's deaths (and even exiles) would have been one of displeasure had the movies released in chronological order, following audience investment in their prequel adventures.

9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I looked in on that universe. The reaction was displeasure similar to what we have with the ST.

jaimestarr and Lobot's Wig like this.
  10. LedReader

Oct 24, 2019
    That's the key. It doesn't matter to you. That's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own wants/needs/priorities/tastes. I'm certainly not trying to change your mind. But, as I think you've already found, for a lot of people it does matter, and I think that's a perfectly normal reaction that the studios could have seen coming.

11. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I think a lot of the issues with Yoda going into exile are only issues from the PT and not the OT. In the OT, when we meet Yoda, he is almost 9 centuries old and ends up being one year away from death. No one pictured Yoda (back in 1980) as some Jedi that could hop around like a frog and lightsaber duel. So, had the PT existed before the OT, I think tons of people would have had an issue with a completely competent and healthy Jedi Master just hiding on a swamp planet for two decades while the Empire grows in strength.

As far as Obi-Wan, I think people would ask why he waited so long to train Luke if the PT existed before.

AND AS FAR AS THE TOPIC AT HAND IS CONCERNED. I totally buy Leia and Han reverting back to what is comfortable to them as a coping mechanism for what happened to Kylo. My issue is, if that was the decision they were going to make story wise, then they should have touched more on it. Without reading supplementary material, we don't even know what the timeline is for FO appearing, Ben going to Luke, Ben falling to the dark, Han and Leia splitting, etc. I can't really respect any choice that was made concerning the OT3 because I have no way of putting it in context for the larger story without reading a bunch of books. And no, you're not gonna charge me the full price of admission and then state, "If you want the full story, give more money to Disney."

Sarge, Jedi Ben, jaimestarr and 4 others like this.
  12. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Because you care about "Ben Solo." I wanted Kylo Ren to die in a hole and stay there. So I don't find Luke, Han and Leia's sacrifice bittersweet, well done, or warranted. I think it's cynical and a slap in the face. To have those three heroes, characters who started it all, sacrificed on the altar of the Emo Prince, conjured up to to be the Loki/Snape, Draco/Edward the Vampire of Star Wars so his fans could spend years telling us that those characters were bad parents, wrong about poor privileged Kylo, who is better than them all and deserved a happy ending, is not at all what I expected when I sat down to watch TFA. I should have known better from JJ and Kasdan, or Kennedy and Abrams singing the praises of Driver. I just never thought that they would so cavalierly rewrite what made Star Wars what it was to begin with.

I'll say it again, I need to set up one of those poll things because I would bet that the vast majority of the people who are happy with Luke, Han and Leia's fates and the ST as a whole like "Ben Solo." Those of us who aren't happy don't.

It's not their story any more, as you all keep telling us, so the ST is a weird hybrid of "love these new characters while we kill your favorites."

And Collective You keep telling those of us who are unhappy that we're watching the movies wrong and what did we expect would happen to Luke, Han and Leia (and Lando, Chewie, the droids). I can say "not that." I was not remotely expecting that. We keep being told that us expecting anything else was unreasonable. It's not. There's also a lot worse that's been aimed at everyone unhappy with the ST but at least it's not on these boards.

13. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    A lot of times I hear people defend Kylo because he has Palpatine whispering in his ear since before he was even born. But if that's the case then why bother to throw the OT3 under the bus in the first place? If you want a brainwashed character that the characters have to slowly bring back over the course of three films, then do that. Have the heroes go to Jonestown and try to free poor brainwashed Ben. But don't also make his family a bunch of people who failed him. That's just adding insult to injury. It makes it seem like, even if Ben hadn't been brainwashed, he still would have fallen to the dark.

I feel like Ben Solo was written for the PT fans who think Anakin only went to the dark side because of how the Jedi Council treated him. Ben is written for people who don't want their characters to have any personal responsibility. The deck was stacked against him, woe is Kylo.

14. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    That whole interpretation of Palps whispering at him in the womb was proven to just be fan misinterpretation of one of the Aftermath books. The films gave no explanation/reason that doesn't throw Luke or his parents under the bus so Palps whispering sweet nothings was piled on to in order to defend poor Benny/compare him to Anakin from the get go. But that only works for those who think Anakin can blame his behavior on Palps too.

I feel like he was written for the PT haters who just wanted him to be evil from the get go because Anakin wasn't.

15. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Who hated the PT because Anakin wasn't evil from the "get go"?

16. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Gees, you expect me to remember names and dates? I've seen many times where people will complain that he was a kid, he was too emotional, he's wasn't enough of a bad ass, he wasn't evil enough etc.

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    and he said yippee. That was probably me :p

18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m not going to go full @PendragonM here... but I *do* think that the greater investment some audience members had in Ben Solo, even if just as a concept, fueled a much greater chance they enjoyed the film.

Which is good for them!

But it does create a situation where Rey and Finn fans feel left hanging in the wind, and if Kylo’s murder of Han caused an emotional distancing between the audience and Kylo (like what Anakin had when he killed the young lungs, but arguably worse because he was never a real protagonist in the first place like Anakin was)... then the Han and Leia fans are going to feel dejected as well.

And of course, though I know and respect where we disagree here, Luke’s arguably in an equally suboptimal place if his brief hologram performance doesn’t make up for seeing him as a failure as a teacher or hero.

Still, the overall argument that if you focus on Ben, you have a greater reason to enjoy the ST gradually trying to make its emotional high point focus more on him, and if you didn’t, well, you don’t.
    To point this out (similar to my comment on Kylo being a supporting character above) Yoda and Obi-Wna aren’t the main protagonists...

...But they also were the main focal mentor characters actually training Luke in their films, and at no point did the films ever try and make their family story a part of the narrative - even Obi-Wan’s love interest with Satine in TCW is restricted to that show and just the two of them.

The Lucas films asked you to care about Obi-Wan and Yoda entirely for their own sake... or for what they contributed to the Skywalker family story... whereas eventually, Anakin, Padme, Han, Leia, and Luke were *ALL* pooled into a single story where you care about each individual member and the group in a kind of reciprocating investment...

Which again, might help some people if they find Ben Solo adequate for their investment in TROS, but would hurt people for whom he’s discredited.

19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
  20. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Were those complaints aimed at him not being evil from the onset of TPM though? It sounds like those are completely different criticisms. Before this goes on any further, my point is that the only time I ever heard anyone state that Anakin should have just started off, from the onset of Episode I as an evil person, was Lucas himself, when he created a strawman as for why people didn't like his movies. I've never heard anyone ever claim that they wanted Episode I to begin with Darth Vader killing people so I was asking if you had actually run across anyone making that specific criticism. It doesn't seem like you have.

21. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I don't know about from the get go. But I do think a large number of people thought we'd be getting 2.5 movies of Darth Vader before the suit, and then Darth Vader with the suit. That his slide from Anakin would be quicker, and we'd get a lot more Vader hunting Jedi scenes.

Sarge, PendragonM and wobbits like this.
  22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    This. ROTJ is actually on the verge of a very sad ending with the Luke fire scene until Luke is pulled back by his friends "into the light." as the book says. It is bittersweet before the end Ewok scene. the fireworks in the sky with the Vader pyre is a nice contrast.

23. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I believe Lucas says himself, that those around him were pushing for a dark ending. Maybe even Hamill was interested in it. And that he was adamant about a happy ending. It is a fairy tale after all. The bittersweet ending is perfect.

24. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Clearly this is what we are talking about here. It all boils down to personal taste. I am not attempting to speak for ALL Star Wars fans. I am simply offering up my thoughts as a fan who cares about and loves the characters of Han and Leia very much. I don't begrudge anyone who dislikes it, but this it's worth pointing out that, like mine, yours is just one viewpoint of millions and not a collective representation of all. Is it?

This seems to be a bit off topic, but sure....set up a poll. I mean, if you fundamentally don't like the ST story, I don't know what to tell you. I am not trying to convince you that "you don't get it" or "you are watching it wrong." I am simply telling you what I like about Star Wars. You are the one hanging out in a forum devoted to movies you dislike.

You put quotes around this, but I never said what you typed. That's your phrasing.

Questions:

-What do I keeping tell you/us?
    -Who is the "us" you are speaking for?

Nope. I never said you were wrong, etc.

I suggested that maybe you if you were wanting what Stan Lee calls "The Illusion of change" where the protagonists (despite challenges/obstacles/conflicts) basically remain at status quo. Like events in comic books. I am not saying that's "wrong." I never said that.

I am just saying that's not what I expected given this pattern/history of the saga and the classic hero stories/myths that inspired Star Wars....ergo, I am very satisfied with Star Wars. Again, I am sorry you are not.

25. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    One thing I still have difficulty understanding is the contrast between the respective reactions to Marvel and Star Wars. You look at Avengers Endgame, critics lauded it as a love letter to the fans. Wandavision has tons of Easter eggs and callbacks that people love. Yet with the ST, every horrible thing that happens is described as bold, risk taking, or realistic. You wanted Luke to restart the Jedi Order? Wow, why would you expect that, that's not realistic, it's the legacy of the Jedi to fail. You expected Han and Leia to be together? Look at divorce rates, c'mon, they were never gonna make it. It's just odd to me that every decision is defended as though our reality somehow equates to a fictional galaxy of "space wizards" and 2km space slugs.