main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What do you think of the idea of Luke and Leia being siblings?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Aug 15, 2019.

Tags:
?

What do you think of the idea of Luke and Leia being siblings?

1. Love the idea

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Hate the idea

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Have mixed feelings on the idea

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. DarthVist

DarthVist Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2019
    I personally love the idea, but that's probably because I watched Return of the Jedi for the first time when I was like 6 years old, and so the idea of them being siblings is just something that I grew up with, and so that's why I love the idea.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. Vader fan 99

Vader fan 99 Jedi Knight star 1

May 6, 2019
    While I don't mind it I don't see how it helped the story of the trilogy or saga

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    If I were watching ROTJ for the first time, I think I would hate it. But since this has been an established fact for so long, and with all of Legends built around it, there's really no way to head-canon it away.

4. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Unless one throws the idea of a single SW "canon" out the window, that is.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  5. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Not even on my radar as a potential issue to argue over on the internets.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  6. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    It's a bit clumsy, and eye-rollingly convenient plot-wise, but it's not a deal-breaker. It didn't add anything though and if there was ever a remake somewhere down the line, I would hope that it wouldn't be included.

Isn't this the same as the other thread?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Actually now that I've thought more about it, maybe the Legends EU could be modified to have Luke and Leia not as siblings. Luke's sister is still out there...maybe Luke finds her eventually, maybe he doesn't. Leia marries Han just as in Legends, but not being related to Luke, she doesn't develop Jedi abilities. Jacen, Jaina and Anakin are Force sensitive children adopted by Han and Leia. Did I miss anything?

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I don't mind except that it makes the love triangle between Luke-Han-Leia awkward and the kiss at the end of ESB kind of uncomfortable in hindsight. It's such an established part of the Star Wars lore, though, that I wouldn't want it to change.

Emperor Ferus and christophero30 like this.
  9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    In 97 in the SE the theater cheered when Luke and Leia kissed. It was pretty funny.

10. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Yes, there is another thread with almost the same topic opened by the same person. Shouldn't the 2 threads be merged?

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We’re going to keep all continuing discussion on the topic here.

As to what I thought of it—I loved it. I hate love triangles and I was glad for a definitive door-closing.

12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    even Jack/Sawyer/Kate from Lost?

13. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Love triangles are great for dramatic tension. Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot is the classic of course.

They should have gone that route with Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padme.

BlackRanger and christophero30 like this.
  14. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    the book kind of did. or at least Palpatine planted the idea in Anakin's head.

Bob Effette likes this.
  15. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Of course Arthur also sleeps with his half-sister Morgause, resulting in the birth of Mordred. Who's portrayed as an albino in TH White's Once and Future King due to his incestuous lineage.

If only there were such a flashing neon sign that might reveal the genesis of Rey in the ST...

16. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    don't think I'd have liked this, but this would make a great discussion in the PT forum! you should make one :)

as for the subject matter neither like it it or dislike it....it is what it is I guess, like Yoda being the colour green is what it is.
    Sorry for the tepid answer :p

BlackRanger and christophero30 like this.
  17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    how dare you sir. how dare you. :p

Dandelo likes this.
  18. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Don't get me started on how the ESB scripts describe Yoda as blue. ;)

Dandelo likes this.
  19. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I am full of HATE for the idea.

20. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Like me you will
    [​IMG]

BlackRanger likes this.
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's bad writing, 101. That's like saying that there was no need to confirm if Vader was Luke's father. Or we never see Han being rescued, he's just forgotten about. It's a giant middle finger to the audience. Any story teller will tell you that you need to resolve dangling plot threads, so that your audience will feel satisfied with the outcome of the story. The only way your argument would work is if Lucas stuck with the original line of, "Now we must find another".

22. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I don't hate it, but it did feel like an overly contrived way to wrap up the Han-Luke-Leia love triangle, and it also just made the galaxy feel that much smaller. Also, the fact that Leia has zero reaction to learning that Vader is her father makes it really feel like an afterthought that was solely done as a plot convenience, and not really explored in any meaningful way.

23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    To me, the love triangle in the OT wasn't so important in the grand scheme of the story, so I didn't mind that it was ended by the sibling reveal.

My only complaint is that Leia being the other hope didn't serve much of a role except enraging Luke during the final duel with Vader when he threatened to convert her.

24. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I wasn't a fan of the love triangle between Han, Luke, and Leia (love triangles aren't my thing, in general), but I do think that it makes it awkward that two of the participants in it turned out to have been long lost siblings, and it feels like a kind of convenient ending to that drama. In my opinion, with the benefit of hindsight, it simply would have been better not to include the love triangle at all.

I do agree that it was disappointing that Leia being the other hope didn't have much of a narrative point or development beyond Luke getting enraged by Vader's threat. That's always something I wished had been developed more.

Emperor Ferus and BlackRanger like this.
  25. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I didn't really like it. I didn't necessarily hate it, but I certainly didn't like it. It doesn't add anything to the saga, and it feels a but unnatural, and I'm not in general a fan of everything (or everyone) being somehow connected or related. The one good thing about it is it settled the question of whether Han or Luke would wind up with Leia. Of course, it was only done in the first place so that Lucas could tie up loose ends, which is probably why it feels unnatural to me.

devilinthedetails likes this.