main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What do you think of TLJ 6 years later?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RedeemBenSolo, Jun 22, 2021.

1. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Pretty much all not confirmed information. Like I said, we learn more in the OT. Instead of this where moreso we get vague pieces of info. Also pretty funny considering how Kylo is used in the ST is arguably meant to be more personally prominent, and somehow gets either vaguely a similar amount of information, or less, explored about him.

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    There is very little about Vader explored. Beyond Palpatine you don't know why he turned. Which meant for years people created their own head canon to explain it. And many didnt like how that turned out because as many said... who wants to see Vader as a child? Or a teenager? Although did many of them forget he wasn't always Vader? That there is more beyond what they knew? I guess so. Limited imagination? Who knows.

In the long run if you cant read between the obvious lines and need someone to state Ben was a good person before he turned to the dark side. Which i guess people struggled with that when the PT came out too, then i dunno.

And yes i was probably one of those people who was arguing with people about anakin being different to Vader also. I do rememeber that.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    With all this talk of "too much Vader in him", "Snoke had already turned his heart" and "I have been every voice you have ever heard inside your head", it's almost like they were going for a backstory where Ben never really got the chance to be the good person he could have been. At least as an adult/teenager.
    I could have been on board with that idea if they had really committed to it and fleshed it out. Here we have a Skywalker kid, son of Leia and Han, nephew of Luke. A hero in the making! And right under their noses, despite their best efforts to raise Ben into a fine human being, Sidious and Snoke manipulate him with visions of grandfather Vader and promises of greatness. Subtly at first, so he'll think it's just his own silly fantasies, then gradually more palpable. By the time he realizes that people are actually talking to him, he's already decided to keep it all to himself - because he's bought into their lies. Before he reaches adulthood, his heart is turned, his ambitions twisted. His whole upbringing has been turned into a tragedy.

I'll tell you, that could've been a story worthy of a few sobs. But they would've had to actually tell it.

4. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    True, but he's already in a position of power as the child of a senator and war hero, and Jedi in the making. That's the problem for me with the whole "Snoke seduced him" stuff - with what? It's not like he's Broom Boy.

Also, the idea that Palpatine destroyed all of the heroes and then basically wins because his granddaughter is now a Skywalker hero is so bananas.

5. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    What is actually said in the OT is Anakin was a good friend, a good pilot, fought in the clone wars, was a jedi knight, had much anger in him, and turned to the dark side. All definitive statements about the life of this person. Not vague speaking about "too much Vader" "Snoke turned his heart" "there's still light in him".

I didn't say anything about the goodness or not of Kylo before he turns to the dark side. I'm saying that I think we either learn a similar, but more vague, amount about him as we do Vader, or we learn less about him as we do Vader, and Kylo is arguably presented as far more personally prominent than Vader is in the OT, I think that's fairly weak writing in comparison.
    Palpatine doesn't win. He doesn't care about his grandaughter succeeding or getting anything. It's Palpatine. He lost because he was killed, and didn't get what he wanted.

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Good point. I imagine, though, that someone in Ben's position can be taught to feel that he deserves more. As a Skywalker and maybe more importantly as the grandson of Darth Vader, he could've had the entire galaxy in his grasp. Ruled as he saw fit. He may have grown to resent his parents, uncle and their friends for robbing him of that birthright. If they had joined Vader instead, they could've had it all.

People with power do tend to crave more.

7. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    How is that Vague though? Really that says more than it needs too. its just whether you are willing to read into the meaning of the Dialogue or block it out

In a way i do think this is overthinking, because his motives before turning may not even match his motives after turning to the dark side. Whether he resented his family or not, after he turns to the dark side he is more likely to resent his family even if he didn't before. The more anger and rage you have, the stronger it makes you.

Its like the logic with Luke in ROTJ was obviously that if he gave into his anger, he would be taken by the dark side and go all the way. We can stretch that logic however he want but that is ultimately the idea. Basically becoming a darker version of himself. Now that dark version probably would become resentful of Han and Leia. Especially if Leia wouldn't turn to the dark side also. Luke wouldn't be a nice person anymore. He would become selfish, willing to do what he must, and any conflicting feelings he would have for them he would likely be fighting against. Which is what makes the dark side something to want to be avoided.

Its a bit like Anakin also. it could be argued he had no issue with Obi Wan. they left off previously in a good place in episode 3 before he left to fight grevious. Then on Mustafar Anakin is clearly resentful towards him. Because anakin now thinks of himself as better than Obi Wan. And that Obi Wan is just trying to push anakin down, when really thats not whats happening.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  8. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    Too much Vader in him isn't a statement of personality. And Snoke turned his heart offers isn't an explanation of motive for why Kylo did anything. Like I said, either vague similar amount that we learn about Vader, or less than.

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Same reason why wealthy spoiled rich kids want more power and money than they already have. Ben strikes me as a kid who thinks he deserves everything. And nothing was ever enough. He probably harbored resentment against his weak father, which made him insecure about himself not being all powerful. I'm betting Snokelitine didn't have to do much arm twisting.

And yeah, Palpatine outliving the OT heroes so that his clone-daughter saves the day and then takes their name after they all died is beyond insane.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think I'd judge it like this:

- Anakin *does* have a bit more clear background filled in than Ben form their past, especially in regards to Obi-Wan giving his rose-tinted "true from a certain point of view" POV and then even after confessing to his deception still endorsing that Anakin *was* the man he described before falling to the dark side.
    - Ben *does* still get some development almost entirely only in regards to his parents, and then with Luke, but the two stories don't really align in a helpful way for figuring out what Ben was like, because of how differently Abrams and Johnson view Kylo and his context.
    - The biggest issue, though, is that Vader being revealed as Anakin radically changes Luke's relationship to both personas, creating Luke's actions and behavior towards Anakin/Vader as an ex-hero, current monster, and fallen father... but Rey's relationship to Kylo receives no change from Kylo being Ben, as she neither knows ben nor even gets an overview of his personality, and thus only ever experiences the monster that is Kylo before TROS pulls the obligatory redemption.

It's the third point that badly damages TLJ, and that made the character of Kylo become a bit of a cancer towards the characters and conflicts around him - without any possible explanation for why Rey wants to "pull an ROTJ Luke" towards Kylo, the entire premise that Ben Solo is worth fighting for becomes tainted and defined by ignorance, prejudice, elitism, and crippling shallowness... and since the story can't reject that definition of him just being "entitled" to a favorable view, it becomes a constant problem for all the characters and conflicts.

And a lot of that again comes down to totally different interpretations of Kylo and his context between Abrams and Johnson:
    What we knew about the character from TFA painted a fairly binary picture: either Kylo was the product of brainwashing-induced insanity in a tragic, horrifying way like Bucky in the MCU, or he was a horrifyingly self-centered, coldy sadistic monster akin to Palpatine. The character did too much cruelty too casually and towards both those weaker than him and a clearly loving father to be treated as a bad boy, and Driver's acting deliberately tried to make the character uncharismatic and uncomplicated in his cruelty towards others - the character was a insecure sadist or delusional and lost in unreality.

I'm inclined to think the idea was that he was delusional in TFA, based off Driver's performance, the dialogue with Vader's helmet, and the film generally portraying him as disturbed; being portrayed as "rational" was the worst thing that could happen to the character.

...And the two-part problem of TLJ was that it tried to portray him as rational, and yet had everyone treat him like a mere "bad boy." Driver's skill as a performer arguably increased the issue - he approached the character with the same cruelty, self-centeredness, and banal evil as he had in TFA, and unlike with other characters or actors, I don't think we've heard anything of Johnson directing him to change the way he played the character... but now without TFA's suggestion of insanity, he's just a murderous, heartless monster.

...And if you have characters treat a heartless monster like he'd be a near-saint if he just got more coddled, that's going to make everyone seem like an enabler for a serial killer. Han and Leia having horrified heartache over their son in TFA and TROS is perfectly fine; but having Luke favor Ben over his other students, best friend, sister and the Galaxy is a load of croc, and Rey just can't be soft towards Kylo without basically ceasing to be a character and just becoming the writer's tool for Kylo glorification.

11. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Brainwashing would have been interesting and consistent with how the FO programmed Finn and other kidnapped soldiers.

But the ST was not interested in that story, outside of one single line of dialog. It never even informed Finn's character beyond it.

Which is a shame. For both characters.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “That lightsaber—it belongs to me!” came across as a line from an entitled brat who thought the world was owed to him.

With Anakin, we knew in the OT that he had fallen in love and gotten married prior to turning to the Dark Side, and had been good friends with Obi-Wan Kenobi, and that was enough to make some of us who liked Obi-Wan and Luke, want Vader to be redeemed as soon as we learned that Luke was his son. I wanted to see Luke get his father back (or get to know him in the first place). Then in the PT we learned exactly why he wanted that power in the first place, and the story was a sad one, with slavery, kidnapping and murder.

With Kylo, if Leia could have redeemed him, that would have been easier to root for, but there was no reason to root for his redemption for Rey’s benefit. It’s not as if she had known him as a good person and lost him, or had a connection to the good person he once was.

All this.

13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Yeah I never understood this rhetoric. I do not know anyone who hated TLJ and is somehow celebrating TROS. Did I enjoy a "small victory" when Force Ghost Luke essentially told Rian Johnson that his Jake Skywalker was written badly? Yes, but that enjoyment lasted a total of about 20 seconds at most. And there's nothing substantial or noteworthy in any kind of petty enjoyment, it's just a nice little moment where I got to think "heh JJ is actually telling RJ that he messed up, nice". Suitable for a TikTok video for teenagers maybe, and nothing more. The big picture is that both movies are depressingly bad in my opinion, and dilute the Star Wars poison that was there prior to them. They lessen the gravity of Star Wars, and they turned it into another space opera franchise like many others.
    Everyone lost, including Palpatine, the Skywalkers, the Chosen one and his legacy, Luke, Leia, Han, the Republic, and the audience. The only character that "won" is Rey, stealing other people's accomplishments, heritage and legacy with little to no contribution. And she won so bad, that we will probably never even see future stories with her. And if so, they will be widely ignored. Let alone the social media hate that will come with that, oh boy.

The ending of TROS felt.... grim. Jeez. Instead of hopeful and full of optimism.

14. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Regarding the notion of who Ben “truly” is, and that Rey shouldn’t be able to have any sort of attraction to him, etc…

Rey *was* in Ben’s head for a few seconds during her interrogation in TFA. “You’re afraid…”, resulting with the look of a stunned, frightened boy; maybe the issue isn’t so much that Ben didn’t get the overt character treatment necessary for Rey’s mixed feelings toward him, it’s that Rey simply knows more than anyone else; certainly more than the viewer.

Essentially, perhaps it’s less about artificially propping Ben up as a potential good guy, and more about giving Rey credit for next-level empathy (whether Ben deserves it or not), and us needing to be okay being saddled with “You don’t know what you don’t know”. (Unless you’re one of those “If it’s not on-screen, it’s not of merit” or whatever; which is fine). Over many years of SW frustration, I’ve tried to spin more positive twists to justify these sorts of inconsistencies / incongruencies (of which there will always be plenty).

Call it “reaching”, whatever. :)

As always, IMHO.

15. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Rey is our protagonist. Our proxy into this world. We should be feeling everything she's experiencing and going through. We should be relating to what she feels at all times (even if we disagree with it). If Rey knows something we don't know, that is a major problem with the writing. Because whatever she knows about Ben, that she isn't telling us, because we don't see those dreams or whatever, means we can't make the jump to share her empathy for Ben.

That this happens repeatedly in the ST, means that the writers never really considered Rey to be the protagonist of the ST. We're not following her journey, as she experiences, with her. She keeps things from the audience. Ina addition to the writers keeping her last name from the audience as well.

In the end, it means we never really get to know who Rey even is.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Right. I don’t need to see everything on screen, what I mentioned earlier about Anakin having a wife before he turned, was not on screen in ROTJ but in the novelization and heavily implied.

But I am definitely not OK with being told to sympathize with a character I find abhorrent, and just accept that Rey sympathizes with him, because ‘we said so Ok? You lowly audience humans could not possibly be privy to the empathy found through wobble lips and puppy eyes the Force.’

My reaction to the “You’re afraid” comment was Why the hell should she care?

17. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Imagine if in the OT Luke has his dream, but never shares with us (and Yoda) what he sees. Gone is the pain, the emotions, the fear, the motivation to save them. Instead he just rushes off, after telling Yoda he's got to save his friends.

Imagine in the PT, Anakin doesn't tell Obi-wan about his dreams about his wife dying. Never mentions it to him. The audience doesn't see the dream either. Keeps it to himself. All the motivation and anguish and eventual seduction to the dark side is totally removed.

That's what the ST did with Rey. (And Ben)

18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the issue that really “destabilizes” my ability to trust Rey’s “empathy” for Kylo is sort of weird - it’s that I’ve seen Rey as a highly empathetic character before in TFA, and whether someone thinks her empathy was portrayed well in TFA or not, it’s still clearly both objectively better than in TLJ… and highlights how she’s really not empathetic in TLJ, instead merely reflecting the film’s bias towards Kylo at everyone else’s expense.

Rey in TFA may just be going through “Conventional Compassionate Hero 101” when she acts on empathy towards BB-8, Finn, and Han, but she still makes clear, understandable connections with them throughout, and even seems to have a clear ability to prioritize which of their feelings are more “moving;” she reacts to BB-8’s justified fear of Teedo, then shifts to a different, more reluctant, but still ultimately helpful reaction to his loneliness, and likewise she picks up on a difference in Finn’s feelings during his confessions scene. It also follows through in her horror and anger at Kylo - she totally empathizes with his victims, because of course she does.

Plus… she already has a moment of “empathy” with Kylo in TFA when she lashes back against his violation of her mind… and I think Daisy Ridley deserves some serious credit for the nuanced look of comprehension turning to recognition turning to disgust when she realizes Kylo is afraid he won’t be as powerful as Darth Vader, since that’s a messed up fear to have.

In contrast, in TLJ, she seem utterly incapable of empathizing with any of Kylo’s victims, completely forgetting what he did to Finn, completely ignoring what he did to her herself, and having a weirdly abstract and emotionally cold recollection of what he did to Han that she lets him brush off with a downright psychopathic answer - and that!s before we consider that Kylo’s other victims include a school full of students he and Luke seem to agree he slaughtered.

In fact, I’d argue the slaughtered kids being ignored really undermines Rey having empathy at all, because their deaths are far more horrifying then Ben being scared of his uncle for a second, and because their deaths should act as an empathetic catalyst for Rey sort of taking the side of Past Luke.

…But the fact that Luke himself doesn’t really seem to care about his dead students except in the abstract (much like Rey’s treatment of Han in TLJ) just highlights that it’s not really about Rey showing empathy, but rather *everyone* in the film reflecting Johnson’s favoritism towards Kylo.

19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    We’re closing in on 5 Years of TLJ.

Dies this thread get renamed or locked when the 4 years is up????

20. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Kinda feels like we’re in TLJ Groundhog Day.

It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.

2Cleva and PendragonM like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Renamed.

22. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Five years, eh? Still the best movie to come out of Disney-era Lucasfilm thus far.

Who knows, maybe Dial of Destiny might give it a run for its money!

23. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    Debatable.

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    FOR FUTURE HISTORIANS WHICH STUBLE UP THIS THREAD KNOW THAT BEFORE THIS POST ARE VIEWS MADE FOUR YEARS AFTER TLJ.

AFTER THIS POST ARE VIEWS MADE FIVE YEARS AFTER TLJ.

PLEASE DO NOT LET HISTORY JUDGE TO SEVERELY. REMEMBER THIS IS A PRIMITIVE TIME WITH PRIMITIVE IDEAS BEFORE THE MANDALORIAN WAS COMPLETED, BEFORE THE ADVENTURES OF GROGU, BEFORE THE SEQUEL TRILOGY TO THE SEQUEL TRILOGY AND BEFORE THE PREQUEL TRILOGY TO THE SEQUEL TRILOGY.

MY PEOPLE STILL FEAR A RIAN JOHNSTON TRILOGY SPENDING MUCH EFFORT SAYING IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN BUT IT IF DOES HAPPEN THEY WILL REFUSE TO SEE IT.

THESE PEOPLE CALL ROGUE ONE ROUGE ONE.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah. Rogue One is definitely Rogue One, the artist also known as the Best Disney LFL Movie.