main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What do you think of TLJ 6 years later?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RedeemBenSolo, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    I like the Rush Hour films and the Tucker/Chan Dynamic but nah man the fifth element wasnt, imo, great.

Crait was good, not the best but a good sequence. Ahch-to was filmed in areal world location with little cgi bar the porgs and the creature that Luke milked which adds to the authenticity.

I hope to visit "Ahch-to" one day.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    CampOfSorgan and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Skellig Michael is great, if the sea cooperates. Highly recommend a trip there. But leave yourself a good number of extra days when booking, or you run the risk of missing the trip to the island if the seas aren’t calm.

3. Darthvader1975

May 2, 2020
    Yes indeed. Id like to tour down there around Kerry. Its been years since I was there so Id incorporate the trip into it. Plus have to make sure we can visit it after the restrictions etc.

godisawesome and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Correct.

Also correct.

3 for 3.

Bor Mullet and 2Cleva like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Do I win something?

6. Darthvader1975

May 2, 2020
    Bor Mullet and godisawesome like this.
  7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I definitely can't say I got a sense of "wonder" seeing Luke do his ''chores''. That milking scene... There's such a thing as being too realistic.

2Cleva, LedReader and mtt02263 like this.
  8. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    For me, it wasn’t “realistic”, it was just completely disgusting and annoying.

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I did like him carrying the huge fish. But that's it. The pole-vaulting, the milking, whatever wasn't really fun or interesting. Felt a little over the top, and shook me out of the film.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m more talking about the look of it all than any perceived points RJ was making. Being shot on location, and featuring some cool alien designs that really fit the scenery (like the milking scene or not, it’s undeniably a great creature design), I found it to feel authentic for the most part.

But this is faint praise, mind you. I found very little authenticity in the broader film.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  11. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't remember much about the setting of where Luke was living. I found it pretty forgettable, aside from the weird Wind in the Willows toad nuns that seemed hilariously out of place.

12. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    The original concepts, that I believe Lucas made for that island, or someone did, showing off some cool weird jedi temple were pretty iconic looking. It's really too bad they scaled that all back to ... just some basic rocks and a ledge.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I've been to that island. The toad nuns make sense in real life.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  14. Darthvader1975

May 2, 2020
    It's a real location.

15. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Some of it was. Some was just a soundstage, and some a huge parking lot set. But still, just because they went all "real location" for parts of it, doesn't mean that they couldn't make it seem more SW-special and less 'we went there and filmed it as is'.

Def Trooper and ChildOfWinds like this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My boring looking house is a real location. Star Wars is invited to film there anytime if they can't come up with more creative ideas.

17. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    If you think the first Jedi temple was something...just wait to you see the suburban Jedi temple. "It's so real".

18. Darthvader1975

May 2, 2020
    Of course but it is a lovely area. It doesn't always have to built from scratch. Hamill loved it except all the steps he had to take.

19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I thought the location was fine, but yeah the actual temple/buildings could’ve been much more interesting

some of the designs in the art books were much better than what we got

20. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    It is a lovely area. But to be used a base to create something more. The rock huts, the steps, the mountain is Earth-real. So I think they could have pushed the temple concept bit to make this real world location look like its set in the GFFA and not just earth.

Def Trooper and ChildOfWinds like this.
  21. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I agree! I was really looking forward to both seeing the first Jedi temple and finding out why Luke went there. Both ended up being so disappointing, annoying, and ‘ meh”. I couldn’t believe that all that these well paid professionals could come up with was a cave or tree or whatever and a mosaic for the Jedi Temple. I mean, talk about underwhelming!!! And having Luke on the island just hiding out, feeling sorry for himself, and doing nothing because he was so stupid as to go into his nephew’s room to read his mind without permission and then ignite a lightsaber over him was downright infuriating and totally out of character.

22. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Yes. I think it's something with the digital processing or something, because while I buy Tatooine, Jakku and AchToo look Earthlike.

I mean, if you're going to do that, come up with a reason why there's no structures. Comment on the fact that there's nothing there but these little huts (the one Luke is in has just...walls and some sort of table? And he was there six years?)

OMG, THAT is what they looked like! I knew they seemed familiar. Thank you.

23. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    That's OK! It was all part of the plan RJ was following!

[​IMG]

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Interesting. That minimalist design of the island is one of my favorite parts of TLJ. It’s really not a temple but a sacred holy site.

From the design it tells me the ancient Jedi were there for the power of that site - not to build their own structures. The small changes the Jedi made are more poignant for how sparse they are.

It’s very different from the Temple on Coruscant.

I thought the books were really cool too. In the prequels we learn how many years it takes to become a Jedi and see the huge library and other information areas in the Jedi Temple. Going back to the roots of the order - all the important information needed to become a Jedi fits on a single shelf.

Too bad the one use for the books in TRoS was an illustrated page about Wayfinders that starts the quest for the movie’s McGuffin. That is an important inciting event. But it’s a much more specific type of information than I expected in the books.

25. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I liked the island’s design. Too bad it had little to do with the actual story.

DrDre and godisawesome like this.