main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What do you think of TLJ 6 years later?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RedeemBenSolo, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    And I think this might've been partially in response to TLJ, even before the film was released. TLJ gives Kylo Ren an "out", but he ultimately doubles down on being a villain. Rey literally and metaphorically closes a door on him following this.

I think the idea of "some people refuse to be redeemed" really didn't sit well with LFL. It's not really a happy, feel-good theme.

Sure. There were a lot of things. I was pretty involved in the Star Wars fandom back then, so I remember a lot of the loudest criticisms of TLJ basically by heart, and what TROS did to "address" them:
    • Some fans were very upset that Rey was a nobody who didn't have a special bloodline. Come TROS, Rey is suddenly a Palpatine. This is one of the movie's clearest retcons. I don't think it's a coincidence that this had been a popular fan theory. Lucasfilm and JJ Abrams were clearly aware of the discussions that had been happening in the fandom.
    • Some fans hated Rose as a character. Rose gets shunted aside and has a bit role in TROS, with Finn even being given a new companion character in Jannah. This can be partly ascribed to Abrams wanting to focus on the characters he had a hand in writing, as well as the already large nature of the cast. But considering the huge volume of bile (which really is the right word to use, unfortunately) directed at both Rose as a character and Kelly Marie Tran, it's hard to shake the perception that this might've been a response to that hate. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    • In TLJ, Luke's reluctance to train Rey is because he has become disillusioned with himself and through this, the Jedi religion as a whole. Luke's characterization in general was one of the most hated aspects of TLJ among its opponents (though Luke's disillusionment actually originated in TFA; TLJ just explored the concept in more depth). This is given a partial retcon in TROS. Luke states that one of the reasons he was reluctant to train Rey is because of her bloodline. It is a partial retcon, because it doesn't change Luke's motivations for going into exile, but it feels like a clear attempt, IMO, to "soften the blow" of one of TLJ's most divisive story beats.
    • Finn and Poe's characterization does seem like a partial response to TLJ, to me at least. Just an unsuccessful one. A lot of Finn and Poe fans specifically got mad because they screwed up pretty terribly in the movie (though basically every character did, tying into the film's theme of failure). Finn and Poe fans were also angry that their plots being ultimately mostly irrelevant to the overall plot progression of the film (though they were thematically very important). In TROS, Finn and Poe are more competent (which, to be fair, is a natural progression of TLJ), and the main trio go on the big adventure together, keeping their plots tied together. Again, though, I think this was unsuccessful, because Finn in particular winds up with not a lot to do. Poe at least gets some agency and an arc, but TROS's writing isn't strong enough to give Finn his own role while he's tied at the hip to two other characters.
    • There's some smaller dialogue that is clearly in response to criticism of TLJ. For example, a lot of fans became hyper-focused (haha) on the scene of Holdo ramming the Supremacy at hyperspeed, with some even saying it ruined the franchise (not exaggerating, those exact words were used). So there's a line in TROS handwaving it for people who were obviously incapable of doing that in their own heads. This isn't the only example, but it's the one that most clearly sticks out to me.
    Obviously, not every problem with TROS is the result of it retconning TLJ, but there are enough cases where it does so for there to be a clear pattern to me. It's also worth noting that different fans had mutually conflicting criticisms of TLJ, so it's inevitable some TLJ opponents would feel like TROS didn't try to address any problems with TLJ.

2. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    And it's not one even RJ's perspective aligns with, because, if I remember correctly, he said that Kylo could still be.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can’t say RJ thinking Kylo was an irredeemable villain while at the same time saying that “we” could all relate to him and saying that it makes best sense for Rey to view him as a potential romantic partner, unless RJ views Rey as dumb as the rocks she was lifting, and unless he has the most cynical and demeaning view of all of us—we’re all irredeemable villains I guess.

4. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Well, frankly, the minute he killed Han, Kylo shouldn't have been redeemed but his biggest fan Kennedy and the noisy Reylos were on about redeeming Kylo. So we got it, for good or ill. Frankly, I'm glad he's dead, not a Force ghost and I think it's freakin' hilarious every time I see certain Reylos complain on social media with their "save Ben Solo" hashtags. Now that it's their ox that's gored and dead, it's wrong. Yeah, tough.

I well remember a week of "Reylo is hot" articles, along with the weeks of "Luke is perfectly in character, you olds just don't want to admit that he was always a failure" and "TLJ is the most progressive SW film ever and if you don't like it, you are bad and wrong" and "George always meant for the ST to happen this way" - after two years of "we threw out his treatments." Did I miss anything....oh, wait, I did! "TLJ would never live up to your headcanon," "your Snoke theory is wrong," and the ever popular "you shouldn't have spent two years going on about Rey's parentage!" Y'know, after LFL spent two years hyping it up.

I am so tired of "TROS was awful because you rotten fans complained so JJ had to make it that way!" when, if you've ever seen another JJ movie, you know that is a load of dingoes' kidneys. He didn't have to cast his pal Keri Russell in the movie to stop Finn/Poe. Or drag Finn through nonsense again. Or add space horses or Palpatine or put Lando in his costume from Solo and have his life ruined too. Or that endless space knife to ROTJ sequence. He made his usual JJ movie. Saying that it's the fault of fans who complained about TLJ so that we got TROS is yet another attempt to blame the fans because a set of critics thought TLJ was the best thing since sliced bread and many fans did not. I have not seen any studio go to the lengths that LFL did to browbeat fans into thinking their way.

5. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Preach, sister!

2Cleva and PendragonM like this.
  6. Jozgar

Dec 20, 2015
    If you have bitter memories about the discussion surrounding TLJ, I’m sure you know the feeling is absolutely mutual.

A torrent of hate was directed at the actors and filmmakers for the crime of making a film people didn’t like. Racism and misogyny that poured out of sectors of the fandom towards certain characters and their actors. I was frustrated by how other critical sectors of the fandom carried water for the racists and misogynists by claiming it “wasn’t really a big part of the backlash”, or that the whole thing was a smear to discredit legitimate criticism. There were tons of criticisms that were either bad faith (outright disregarding what the movie actually showed) or disproportionate (blowing small problems up into franchise-ruining disasters), and these critiques were often louder and more widespread than the legitimate, constructive ones.

So you’re not alone. People who liked TLJ also have very negative memories of the discussion surrounding the film. I’m not going to argue here about who is more aggrieved (partly because I find it silly that people on both sides took discussion of the movie so personally). But I am going to oppose a one sided narrative that the critics of TLJ were unilaterally mistreated.

I’m not saying that all of TROS’s objective problems, much less all the problems one might subjectively have with the movie, are the result of retconning TLJ, or trying to appease people who hated it. I’m saying a lot of my problems with TROS stem from that.

I’m also not “blaming fans”. Don’t take my criticisms as a personal attack. I’m blaming LFL and JJ Abrams for their creative decisions, which I think were bad. I’m also acknowledging that those decisions weren’t made in a vacuum, it’s very obvious they were keyed in to the discussions going on in the fandom and were influenced by them.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    Watcherwithin likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have made a point of only participating in Star Wars discussions here and on my personal social media pages, which are not open to public comment, but I have not seen anyone in either of those places sending personal hate towards Johnson or Abrams for making a film they did not like—in fact we have rules here against that.

I recall Reylos hurling vile racism directed at John Boyega. In fact that happened to some extent here.

Again I have not seen anyone critical of the ST ‘carrying water’ for racists and misogynists directing hate at the directors or Kelly Marie Tran, in fact the discussion here even among those who did not like the ST was in defense of Tran against that ridiculousness.

What I did see were posters here claiming that Boyega should just shut up and be grateful that he got to be in Star Wars, and that he was in the wrong for filming himself doing martial arts moves on some of the more vile tweets directed at him (including ‘jealous of Adam Driver’—that was one of the milder ones)

…yeah, about that. There was quite a bit of gaslighting going on with the claims that what we saw directly on screen in the movie was not actually there and that we should just all watch the movie again and watch it ‘correctly’.

I won’t argue that people who liked TLJ do not have negative memories.

Setting aside for a minute the racism against Boyega, which was the worst of the backlash against anyone who did not like Reylo—there were also the arguments that anyone who disliked TLJ was just not sophisticated enough for Rian Johnson or just wanted a “safe” movie, or that having expectations for the eighth film in a saga is somehow wrong and it is our own fault if we disliked the movie.

Abrams being willing to put that Reylo kiss there indicates to me that he was not actually responding to TLJ criticisms—Kylo dying afterwards does not rectify that at all.

If Abrams were responding to criticisms, he responded to the wrong ones, like the racism against KMT by reducing her role in the film.

EHT, Jedi_Fenrir767, wobbits and 4 others like this.
  8. Jozgar

Dec 20, 2015
    @anakinfansince1983 I am not going to debate the apologia you're offering for each of the toxic negative reactions I mentioned, because that wasn't the point of my post and I'm not interested in digging up all the examples of bile to show that yes, it really was that bad.

All I will say is that a person's views are shaped by their experiences, and I don't think you had the same experience I did witnessing how toxic TLJ-critical fans could be (and in fact, many of them still are). Maybe the discussion circles you were in really were more civil. But I remember a lot of really nasty stuff being said on these forums, too. In my experience, the toxicity of the discussion around the film was not proportionate. There was some on both sides, but it was much, much worse on the side of people criticizing the film. Again, maybe you had a different experience, or maybe we're remembering it differently.

Either way, I don't think it's going to be a productive thing to discuss. Arguing over who's more aggrieved by the discussion around a sci-fi movie is silly.

This is overly reductionist. Analogy: Let's say I'm having a friend look over my essay for my comparative politics class. They give ten criticisms. In the final draft I address eight of them. It would be very silly to claim I didn't respond to their criticisms, just because I didn't take every single one of them to heart. Very few things are done in totality like that. No writer or artist is going to agree with every bit of criticism they receive.

This is even more true because, as I stated, critics of TLJ were not united in there criticism, and some of them even contradicted each other. I know you really hate Reylo (I'm not a fan of the ship either). You've made that clear in many different posts over the years. It seems like TLJ lending some credence to this ship was a big issue with the film for you. But that wasn't a huge issue for every person who disliked TLJ.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You don’t have to “debate the apologia that I offered” because I offered none. I was very specific in calling out the attacks on Rian Johnson as a person as well as the racism against KMT, adding that we have rules here against such a thing, so how that got twisted into “apologia” is not something I am going to play along with, as such a statement comes across as passive-aggressive.

I’m not going to speak for the issues with TLJ that anyone had if they liked Reylo, because I can’t. I might have liked TLJ much better if Reylo had not been such a big part of it and if Johnson had not demanded such a benevolent view of Kylo Ren.

10. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    I do think a lot of online critics of TLJ in places other than this forum (eg, YouTube and Reddit, where there are plenty of examples of people spewing forth quite vile screeds against the film) went way too far into personal attacks on Rian Johnson and new cast members like Kelly Marie Tran. And this was quite frankly sometimes motivated by racism and misogyny.

I also think TLJ is a horrible, awful, stupid, overly self-satisfied, incoherent mess of a film that doesn't understand the personality of Luke Skywalker, makes all the new characters into complete morons, is afraid of letting Oscar Isaac and John Boyega's characters be likeable, and has a bizarre insistence on making Rey fall for the leader of a group of space fascists, whom it insists is Just Misunderstood Really despite all that murdering he does.

A lot of the criticism was mean-spirited, full of ad hominem attacks, and done in bad faith - but by no means all. And it's not like the film doesn't deserve to be criticized as a film. I think there's plenty to criticize there, while still maintaining standards of personal decency.

It seems to me that Lucasfilm opted for the worst of both worlds: they were contemptuous of everybody who didn't like TLJ, lumping them all together with the worst of the lot - and yet they also were fine with TROS trying to appease those "ugly fans" by doing things like sidelining Kelly Marie Tran.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  11. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Both having bitter memories doesn't make the critical consensus attitude pro TLJ or against others more justified, against those who may have had real criticisms of it.

wobbits and PendragonM like this.
  12. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    When did “lucasfilm” lump all the critics of TLJ in with the worst. Lucasfilm never told anyone they were wrong for not liking TLJ

it was the worst of the critics who claimed this due to persecution complex

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    “Persecution complex” is a good example of the gaslighting—it feeds into the narrative that ‘there must be something wrong with you personally if you dislike this film, either you have a persecution complex or you are too stupid to know what the film was saying/understand Johnson’s art’.

If you want to tell people why they are wrong to dislike a film/wrong about their criticisms, maybe do so without insulting their intelligence or mental capacities?

14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Johnson made a movie that burned the OT ideals to the ground. And then mocked the people who did not like his awful, depressing take on SW.

15. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    TLJ is exactly the sort of cynical, amoral, elevating-hopelessness-as-a-virtue film that was so ubiquitous in the 1970s and that the original SW was rebelling against. But at the very end it has an absurdly tacked-on happy ending that feels just as perfunctory and out of place as the scenes where the police finally catch the lawbreakers in the last five minutes of a Hays Code-era gangster film. You can tell who Rian Johnson is rooting for... and it's not the people fighting the baddies.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    When you make the 'good' side have authoritarian 'leaders', who punish anyone who doesn't conform, who knowingly purchase weapons from the same people as the 'bad' side, and ignore all the evil going on in the galaxy. you have no idea who to even root for anymore.

But that was the point. Everyone is bad except Kylo. His badness is society's fault. Poor, poor Kylo.

17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Personally, I think Kylo’s actions, portrayal, and “intended fate” in TLJ kind of epitomizes one of the things that I think makes TLJ very difficult to follow-up, nigh on impossible, given the contradictory nature of all three.

His actions are still rigidly indefensible, evil, and sociopathic - just as they were in TFA. In fact, I’d argue this is a major part of the problem - what he does and why he does it is consistent in both films, but only in TFA were we supposed to use those to judge him.

His portrayal, in contrast, is a twistedly sympathetic one in TLJ, where his feelings, desires, and “suffering” is given far more weight than that of our heroes, supporting cast, and even off-screen background characters slaughtered by him; the film says and acts as though he deserves our sympathy, empathy, and even much of our POV investment at a much greater rate than it does for the heroes and his victims. And I think this seriously clouds how we’re supposed to take the ending of the story - it’s impossible to tell apart misdirection from artistic intention with regards to Johnson’s thoughts on Kylo, because he expects and demands too much positive desires and readings on Kylo.

And thus his “intended fate” becomes even further clouded, when it’s already got the massive “albatross” of being the last Skywalker - which I'm willing to bet we could both agree was likely the central conceptual reason they freaked out at TLJ “setting up” Kylo as an irredeemable villain.
    That follows.

…But I’d argue that TLJ arguably made some kind of special bloodline reveal “necessary,” because of how horrifically sabotaging of the “nobody hero” TLJ is.

Finn was the nobody hero everyone loved and didn’t have to speculate about any cool past for… and Rian Johnson wanted him minimized, shoved in the background, saddled with a deeply problematic “flaw,” and replaced with either Kylo or Luke. Rey was in effect a nobody hero in TFA who had a clear, prioritized POV and arc,with only hints she could be related to someone else, and a context of the story focusing on the Ksywalker family drama again… and Rian Johnson decided to make “no one important” correlate very clearly with “her POV only matters when it reflects my opinions of Kylo and Luke, both of whom should have more import to the story than she does.”

Should Abrams have made LFL bite the bullet and make her a Skywalker if he was going to give her a history? Undoubtedly… and the franchise and story would be better for it. The Palpatine reveal only functions to make sure that Rey can stand equal to Kylo/Ben in the story’s import once LFL refused to let him be the main villain and Palpatine became the only acceptable alternative.

But any Skywalker retcon likely would have inflamed TLJ fans even more because it would pretty much expose how much of TLJ meant nothing for Rey as a character… and removed Ben Solo’s monopoly on the family drama, when that’s about the only actual story reason he”s given special treatment.

I see that, and I agree… albeit I think it’s because it didn’t react hard enough against TLJ to matter, leaving the characters still screwed over by TLJ’s bias and prejudice against them, especially regarding LFL clearly having Rian Johnson’s paranoia about Finn outshining Ben Solo in any kind of “fair game.”

Part of the reason these boards have talked about Boyega’s defending Abrams while lambasting LFL for his treatment is because Finn being sidelined clearly didn’t start with Abrams, and there’s plenty of BTS evidence and even textual evidence that Finn in TROS was intended for greater things, and LFL has a track record of neutering him.

I know we likely disagree on that, which is why I think this part is a fascinating, if contentious, debate:
    …because, yes, I would argue the core reasoning for TLJ’s plot lines relies on a certain amount of sexism and racism itself, making the reaction for and against the film more the result of a “no man’s land” of storytelling decisions in the story.

Like Abrams in TFA, Johnson increased representation on the cast… but he also made sure, likely for other storytelling reasons on a conscious level, that unless the character was white or a dude, they were going to suddenly pull new, problematically keyed flaws that made them helpless to impact the conflict arcs, while Luke and Kylo are both portrayed as privileged to have fairly easy ways they could save the day, with accompanying privileged internal conflicts that the film pushes over much greater internal struggles the other women and non-white men *should* have.

It creates this horrible no-win scenario for fans who want more representation but want it to be good - you have to think that it makes sense for a toughened, hardened woman to stupidly over-invest in the first world problems of the slave-master man who violated her and maimed or murdered her friends, to engage with the main female character, or to judge that the black guy was “too focused” on the white girl when he was saving the entire freakin’ Galaxy and that he couldn’t possibly have had a wider view before hand, or that the Latino military officer and trusted subordinate was actually a hotheaded and insubordinate loose cannon, or that the new Asian mechanic was going to just make things worse alongside the other non-white dudes, or that the other Award-winning Latino actor didn’t have to have his character have a name and could just be an obviously untrustworthy scumbag…

…And in exchange, the expectation was that the two white guys being self-centered and angsty would justify how the story says the young mass murderer and slave master could save the day if he just listened to his abused girlfriend, but isn’t supposed to make us angry when he says no, and that the hero we all know and love needed to go through a selfish, disenchanted hipster period before he could also get off his duff for five minutes and save the Galaxy by doing almost nothing while someone else did actual work.

So in a weird way, it’s like the regular racists and sexists who could stop TFA from breaking records were still stupidly incensed that the cats had non-white dudes in it, while TLJ critics hated TLJ because it was racist and sexist to most of its cast.

LFL undoubtedly had a POV of TLJ that was unusually bad - they liked only the problematic aspects!

18. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    The interpretation that the film wanted you to “give more weight” to Kylo then anyone else was not what most critics of TLJ were talking about.

I don’t think anything in the film objectively gives the viewer that impression. I never saw any of the “problematic” treatment do the characters that way and neither do most of the audience. I think it’s not cool to say Rian hated Finn without evidence just cause you think his story was lame. Or to say that Rose, who’s intended to be the heart of the movie is just making things worse. The notion that DJ was somehow racist cause he didn’t have name is kinda absurd

In the mainstream discussion, The film was only hated because of what it did to Luke.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    jaimestarr likes this.
  19. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017

The resistance did not “punish anyone who didn’t conform”. They punished desertion like any military body.

I have some criticisms, I’m not sure what Rian’s point was with the weapon buying, because if he thinks that’s supposed to lessen our view of the resistance it doesn’t really make sense. Of course they have to buy weapons from somewhere

however I don’t understand where you get the idea that they’re ignoring the evil in the galaxy. The move tells us their the only ones not ignoring it

jaimestarr and Sarge like this.
  20. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Nonconformity is not allowed in the Resistance. Unless you’re a leader. Then you can wear balletic outfits and luxurious jewelry, flirt with subordinates, etc. Those at the bottom, ie everyone else, are punished, physically, slapped or tasered, or otherwise, when they don’t toe that strict hierarchical line.

This is in the movie. On screen. I wish it wasn’t. But that’s what we got.

21. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    That’s your wild unfounded interpretation. Nothing in the movie indicates that the lower ranks of the resistance are punished wrongfully for wearing jewellery or flirting or anything.. In fact, Rose has a piece of jewelry and flirts with Finn.

you’re offended by minor things like characters slapping each other and think it means the movie is “condoning abuse”

bad faith reads like yours are typical of the criticism on this forum. You intentionally try to find the worst light to portray Johnson’s creative decisions even when it makes no sense

jaimestarr likes this.
  22. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Someone who is a General, a Princess and in overall and awesome leader shouldn't be slapping a subordinate. It's ridiculous and unprofessional and a throw back to bad gender stereotypes. TLJ is filled with nonsense like this yet gets a pass for some reason..

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    TLJ is filled with bad gender stereotypes. Every woman in the film is there to flirt with men or slap men. There is no room for a woman to just be a leader in resistance to fascism. If a woman character exists alongside men, there must be flirtation or violence (or both).

Very personal and intentionally demeaning comments like this which are persistent among many TLJ fans in this forum make the idea that TLJ fans are somehow more victimized here to be laughable.

Anyone who dislikes TLJ must be too stupid or uncultured to interpret it “correctly”—that is your take it seems.

Why is Johnson owed having his creative intentions only viewed in the best possible light?

24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The real problem with the Resistance's authoritarianism really stems from the terrible framing of the space chase scenario. Holdo provides such opaque leadership that Poe feels the need to go behind her back and later incite a mutiny do how he perceives her ability, but is then punished for stepping out of line. Finn wants to leave on an escape pod because he wants to go his own way, and because of how incompetent the Resistance is portrayed the scene feels much less like 'coward fleeing from the noble fight' and more 'getting out of this useless deathtrap'. Then he and Rose casually leave the whole chase in a ship and the entire scenario falls apart, revealed for the flimsy shell of drama that it is. Then it gets even worse when Holdo lets her entire fleet go up in smoke. Why not let Finn leave in an escape pod she was going to blow up in her Holdo maneuverer later on? If Rey can go off and do whatever she effing wants with Luke and Kylo, why does Finn get so harshly tased?

Why are Poe and Finn's self-sacrificial missions bad but Holdo and Luke's good? How can a space chase function if participants can escape and then come back? What's the value of Resistance equipment and lives if Holdo can throw them away and not inspire a single bit of morale? If two TIE Fighters can cripple a fleet why bother with the chase at all?

The whole thing is a utter sham of morals and logistics.

25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Nothing? We literally see it on screen. Rose is the one ordered to do the punishing. Before she tasered Finn, unconscious, who's not even a member of the Resistance, who knows what she did to the others before him that morning.

But how convenient that as soon as she decides it's okay to leave, she can leave. She's an authoritarian as well. She supports that kind of system and she benefits from it. Apparently. Rose wears a family medalion that she shared with her sister. That's not luxurious. Or flaunting. But Rose is still wearing piss colored fatigue's while her cherished leaders flaunt their wealth in front of them, all on a desperate life or death escape.

And yes. Leaders using physical punishment in order to get their subordinates to follow them means they're crappy leaders. Leia isn't inspirational. She's a bully. Poe follows because he'll get slapped around, or tasered. RJ shows us that the Resistance is no better than the FO, who's own leaders also use the same form of punishment on their lower crew members.

And thanks once again for making this personal. Always a key quality of those defending the film it seems. They can't just make this about the movie. Nope. Bash the people who are critical of the movie in personal ways.