main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What does everyone think of the new "a Celebration every two years" schedule?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by WIERD_GREEN_MAN, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    What is everyone's reaction to a Celebration every other year? I have mixed feelings. Because Celebrations will happen more often, I will have more opportunities to attend, and maybe one will even be near where I live! On the other hand, this new schedule, to me, is making Celebrations less special. Anyone feeling less motivation to attend a Celebration, because another one is just a couple of years away?
    I'm worried that instead of the MEGA-parties of fandom Celebrations have been, Celebrations will become diluted. Instead of pouring a lot into something, Lucasfilm may decrease the amount of new stuff at Celebrations, so that they can inject each one with something new. Will the new schedule of Celebrations mean less at each one because Lucasfilm has to make each one different and will be rationing out their creations? Traditionally, new stuff has been announced/released at Celebrations, and if in the future Celebrations just become redundant, socializing events for fans, they will not be worth the price tag to me. This comparison is not perfect, but: I don't want Celebration status to go from "birthdays" to "weekends".

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    My wallet doesn't like it, and yes Celebrations will feel less special when they become routine. But I go to celebrations because that is my chance to meet a bunch of great people in real life, that I wouldn't have possibility meet otherwise.

3. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    My wife and I are all for a two-year span between Celebrations.

I don't feel like it de-values the experience or the exciting build-up one bit.

Bring it.

4. Zepherous

Zepherous Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2010
    It is a good thing.

5. vswader

vswader Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    The celebrations have provided positive new experiences for myself and my family (new acquaintences, reminiscing with old friends, family bonding, costuming, etc.) so I definitely enjoy them. Personally, I would prefer three years in between. As stated by others, I feel that they may become less special in regards to repeat venues, activities, forums, events, etc.

A convention of this size, I would assume, takes about a year to coordinate behind the scenes before it is even presented to the public. I also would assume it takes a while to recover after the event (up to 6 months) that is associated with the financial aspects. That only leaves 6 months for creative juices, new ideas, products, themes, etc. to be developed and reviewed. It would be very easy to just put out the same venues year after year, but leaving the fan with less desirable output.

The obvious choice would be not to attend and wait for the next one....but...will there be another Celebration? Chances are yes but spanning them farther out allows all fans, from the hardcore to the fair weather, to be able to recuperate financially, emotionally, as well as have time to reminisce and enjoy the previous celebration.

I feel it would have been more rewarding to have completed the Celebration saga in 2013 with the anniversary of ROTJ....and then continue every two years after.

6. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    I see no problem with this. Did they say somewhere that it will always be ever two years now?

Remember, right now we are closer in time to C5 than we are to C6. It's still over a year away. I'd be willing to be that anyone who things that it's too soon between shows will change that tune in about 9 months or so.

As long as they can still get the guests, vendors, etc, what's the harm? Star Wars is moving very fast right now so there's plenty to be able to fill a 4 day show and keep it fresh each time.

No need to slow it down.

7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    As long as it stays as TWO years, I'm good.

8. jedimomtosith

jedimomtosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2009
    CVI will be my 2nd Celebration.
    After CV, I was ready to wait the 3yrs for the next con.
    I had assumed the 3 year wait was to follow in the actual 30th anniversary of the release of each film...
    '77= 2007
    '80= 2010
    '83= 2013
    I agree that if the time in between starts to get shorter, "Celebrations" will turn into regular con events and will lose its flare and its meaning for why we're "celebrating" to begin with...

That said however, I usually go to Comicon in San Diego every July. I still find it as cool as it was the first time I ever went.
    If the time frame is every 2 years, I'm cool with that.
    (I'll just have to start my projects a little eariler...LOL)

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I just want to be clear that I'm glad about the fact that there will be more Celebrations, with more giant fan gatherings of awesomeness. I'll try to attend as many as possible, because it's Star Wars. But I know that when stuff becomes formulaic, its quality and ratings go down. Comic-Con may be unfailingly fresh every year, but that's due to the large, diverse group of franchises there. Celebrations have always had buzzing releases, such as CV's The Force Unleashed II preview event. There will probably be no negative effects on quality at CVI, but in the future? Will Lucasfilm be able to come up with enough big new ideas to fill each of the four days with must-sees?
    I'm still going to want to attend as many Celebrations as I can. This is not true for everybody, but I live with others, that decide what I do, and I have to work very hard if I want to get the trip to CVI. If future Celebrations become formulaic gatherings that are not very unique, with one no more special than another, to me they will not be worth thousands of dollars and my extreme efforts.

10. Vote_Snaplaunce

Vote_Snaplaunce Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2011
    Every 2 years is a good timeframe, I think. Every year would be too soon (and too expensive, at least for me). 3 years is a very long wait. CV was the first one I attended, and I can't wait to go back. Although I do think it's a little dissapointing that ROTJ will miss out on having it's own 30th anniversary celebration in 2013.

11. bstspiritwarrior

bstspiritwarrior Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2006
    I am not sure how I feel about it. I mean on one hand once I got back home from the CV I was looking forward to CVI and am glad that I won't have to wait to long. But then on the other hand finacially it would be better to wait 3 years so that I would have as much time as possible to save up as much money as I can. I have only been to 2 Celebrations (CIV & CV) and the 3 year wait between them for me was fine. I will have to wait and see how I handle the 2 year wait this time.

12. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    It seems that the more frequent schedule of celebrations was written in stone even before C5. I saw a reference to something similar in a news article. (Now, if I could just remember where it was!)

Consider that Reed Exhibitions possibly has a long term contract. And, the main business of ANY business is to make money. Thus, more conventions = more money.

Unfortunately, that would be the equivalent of killing the goose that lays the golden egg. As others have posted, the end result would be like a Comic-con--only MUCH less diverse, and film-related. Since the celebrations would be more frequent, fans would see the same things appearing over and over again. They would lose interest. Then of course, there is a financial factor to remember for each person who attends. As the dedicated fan base drops off, Reed would probably start including extra content with each convention, thus watering it down. Gradually, it would resemble just another convention.

Of course, I want to be WRONG about all of this. Hopefully we, as fans, can take steps to make sure that the celebrations do NOT become extinct.

13. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I love it. And yes, Steve Sansweet said on a Star Wars Action News Podcast, LFL intends on a every other year schedule.

14. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Of course, all that is mentioned above is speculation.

Celebrations is nothing like SDCC or D*C. It is pure Stars Wars.
    I always look at the glass being have full. If there is a market for it, it will happen.
    The big difference here is that Celebrations has the opportunity to host in a different city.
    That alone will keep it fresh for fans.

My first Celebrations was CV. There was so much to see, I have to do a repeat. And being in
    Orlando lock me into returning there once more.

For me personally, REED can do it as often as they want. As long as each Celebration is unique and does not bore the fans.

15. FRAGGLE_ROCKER

FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2010
    I like it the two years in between, but I have a different perspective because Celebration V was my first real convention like that at all. Basically Celebration VI two years after CV is a good thing. I waited three years for the movies to come out. I just want to go to another one as soon as possible.
    Other conventions happen every year, GI Joe's JoeCon and DragonCon.
    I've already written what I think about expecting the next one for Return of the Jedi's anniversary. In short--and this is from a big fan of it, Ewoks and all--ROTJ's place in film history is not as noteworthy as the previous two. There are more reasons to celebrate STAR WARS than just pointing out how old it is...although it will be the 35th anniversary of the first movie. Either way, what occurred at CV wasn't really specifically featuring TESB anyway. Gary Kurtz was there on a panel talking about it and there was the Hoth diorama, and that was really it. There were more ROTJ-related props.

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I liked it every 3 years better, since two years doesn't seem like a long enough time to build up my excitement for a new one.

17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Even if Celebrations become redundant fan parties, they will still be fun to attend-but Celebrations, unlike many other conventions, are kind of expensive. Anyone factoring in cost?

18. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Is that even possible?

Celebrations = budget busters. ;)

19. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    The interesting thing, however, is that the biggest cost for any Con is always travel and hotel. The con tickets are usually one of the smaller fees. What is it this year? $135 for four days? That's a pretty good daily rate for all that you get. The rest of what you spend when you get there (food aside) is up to you and your budget.
    It's the travel and hotel that gets ya.

20. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I will go to a Celebration over a comic con ANYTIME.

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The only worry I have with Celebration being every 2 years is redundancy. I'd just hate to see something special turn stagnant due to it being held too often.

And then of course, there's always the issue of feeling it in the wallet. :p

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  22. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I'd like it every 3 years. I didn't mind 2 years between CIII and CIV, because of the 30th anniversary of ANH. Three years gives more time to save $$$ and make costumes. :D

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I can see myself opting out of going each time every other year. The draw is meeting up with people from the boards, not so much SW anymore and I don't see there being enough new things to see to keep back just for the convention.

24. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Remember, Sansweet said during the SWAN interview that the "plan" was to hold a Celebration every two years.

If attendance numbers dip enough between Celebrations that are 2 years apart, Reed/LFL might decide to return back to the 3 year span between them.

Whichever model brings in the most $$$ is the obvious catalyst.

25. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    But he (Sansweet) also said, that they chose Reed, because Reed have offices in a lot of other countrys, so the next Celebration in 2014 may not be in America - it may be in Europe or Australia... if I understod him correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.