main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What Does Star Wars Mean To You Personally?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darkslayer, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    For a lot of us, films are important things because they capture a moment in time or remind us of specific instance of your life. I thought this would be a fun little exercise because I think along these lines whenever I pop a Star Wars film in, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

What does Star Wars represent in your life, whether its a group of people, a positive experience, or anything else?

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I first saw it in 77 when I was 8. After that my whole world became SW. Action figures, cards, books, models. I had SW sheets and curtains. I dragged my parents to see it at least 6 times. (They loved it too) ESB I somehow loved even more. We saw it as a family at least 8 times. We would go, see it once and just stay in our seats until the next show started coming in. Then we would see it again. Only once were we asked to leave. I took off work to see AOTC about 4 times the first weekend. Ditto ROTS. Me and my dad saw the SEs in the theater. Well we saw ANH and ESB, my parents didn't care much for ROTJ. The Ewoks were divisive in my household lol.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  3. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    In 1998 when I was four, my Dad took me and my sister to Blockbuster (R.I.P) and told us to pick a film each to rent and I selected A New Hope so at that age I probably didn't stand a chance of not becoming SW fan.

I often wonder if I would've got into it the next year when Phantom Menace came out or maybe if I hadn't picked ANH out at random that day I wouldn't be here... [face_thinking]

Star Wars is just where I feel at home; if I'm having a bad day I pop one on and the world makes sense. Me and my mate enjoy regular marathons complete with beer and his little four year old who has already expressed an interest in the saga. :D:D

4. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Star Wars started as salvation at the age of 16 in 1977. I already loved Science Fiction and loved American Graffiti as a 12 year old so I was ripe for Star Wars. The thing about the movie was that the music (I was in band, chorus and played cello and bass) was wonderful and the style of filmmaking was so "casual" that it didn't ever feel like a SCIENCE FICTION movie, it was a great adventure movie where the good guys win with wonderful technology and magic. More like a fairy tale really, plus Harrison Ford <3. It helped me through turbulent teenage years and I've loved some of the subsequent material and some not so much, but even those works grow on me after multiple viewings.

5. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    The Star Wars saga means a lot to me personally I was 4 when I saw Star Wars/A New Hope at the cinema in 77 and am proud to say it remains my favourite film of all time, The other 10 films mean as much as well. I have many happy memories from 77 to the present day collecting the toys as a kid collecting and watching the VHS DVDs and Blurays, looking forward to a visit to the cinema to see the latest film or back in the day a rerealese of the films. At times it would be difficult to imagine for me personally if Star Wars didnt exsist as I would probably not have an interest in films in general, My Nephew is the same age as I was now when I saw Star Wars and his last birthday I bought him a toy lightsaber and I have promised when he is old enough I will pass on my Star Wars stuff to him so he can hopefully full in love with Star Wars like I did all those years ago

Master_Rebado and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  6. Scoffed-Gherkin

Scoffed-Gherkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 11, 2021
    It honestly doesn’t mean that much to me anymore. Maybe it’s the collective disappointment of the prequel and sequel trilogies, but while I still like parts of it, it just really has no special meaning to me anymore. (It also doesn’t help that, while I like The Mandalorian, I never really fell in love with it as everyone else did.)

7. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Star Wars means love, passion, emotions, enjoyment, fun, escape, hobby, collecting, life to me. I've been a SW fan since the SE was released in 1997, I was 10 years old then and grew up with the Prequels. My love and passion for it has ever going stronger. I love the films and shows, I love the comics and novels. Iam just a fan who can escape into this world and have a great time there.

Its a privilege for me that I live in this day and age were SW is so big and powerful and where I can enjoy so much of it. SW is just part of my life as is breathing. It belongs to me, its where I feel home and safe. It gave me values and directions for life and Iam sure I wouldnt be the person Iam today without it.

I love STAR WARS. And I love GL for giving it to me. I appreciate every contribution to it, from him, Filoni, Kennedey, Abrams, Johnson, the authors etc.

What I grew distant of is the fandom. The past 5 years after TLJ have showed the most ugly side of fandom possible and after I experienced how the PT was bashed and how it all came back with TLJ I really grew distant to the fandom and connecting with others. It just doesnt fit into my views and values.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Star Wars is mostly a nostalgia thing for me these days. I like remembering when it was something I was really into. As an ongoing series I still keep an eye on it, but now it's merely one of a multitude of disposable time killing options for me.

Visivious Drakarn and -NaTaLie- like this.
  9. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Man, that’s depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I saw Star Wars in 1977 when my mother took me to the movies. For me it has always been an escape. A story that I could watch and get lost in any time I wanted. The galaxy is home now to familiar places and faces, comfortable old friends.

It represents tradition. My mother introduced me to it and I introduced my own daughter to it. Seeing it in theaters every opening night. It's uplifting and it makes me feel good to be immersed in the galaxy and the family saga. It inspires Star Wars pajamas every Christmas Eve, even for the dog.

The family saga I-VI grabbed my heart and never let go.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    There's no shortage of fiction across a wide range of mediums that I love, but Star Wars has reigned over them as my absolute favourite non-essential "thing" for as long as I can remember. Literally, my very first memory is sitting on my father's lap watching the Special Edition of A New Hope during its theatrical run in 1997, and the moment Darth Vader strode out onto the hallway of the Tantive IV is the moment I fell in love for life. Star Wars has been something I've been able to share with my dad, my brother, my friends, and my girlfriend, who I actually got to show the movies to for the first time.

It'd be asinine to deny that nostalgia isn't a big part of my enduring love for the series, and I have so many fond memories bundled up with the franchise, but there's just something at the core of it that resonates with me whether I'm rewatching A New Hope for the billionth time or watching a new episode of The Mandalorian. None of the magic has been lost for me, either. Even though there's a marked difference between Lucas' Star Wars and the material we've seen under Disney's stewardship, I feel the newer films and TV series have largely kept that core intact (with varying degrees of success, but still).

Recently, it's been a welcome escape, both in the leadup to a new movie or series and while watching whatever it is that's come out. The newer movies came out while I was in undergrad and graduate school, and those fall semesters were a gradual buildup to what felt like a nice little Christmas present, a reward for toughing it through a week of grueling final exams. Then the spring felt like a buildup to Celebration, right before the summer break. It helped punctuate my time in a way that always gave me something to look forward to, something to be excited about... and I don't suspect that's going to change in the years to come.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  12. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    It gives me peace of mind.One day a week i tell my 2 year old son the OT in a simplified childlike manner when i put him to bed.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  13. Space Battles and Jedi Battles

clone commander bossk likes this.
  14. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    A large, cool universe where goofy fun and Shakespeare are combined. I love how connected everything *was*, where the EU continued the story and stuff like Luceno's books made you rethink stuff like midi-chlorians and the Trade Federation. I'm happy SW is alive again, for now.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    For me it is an escape to get over the stresses of the day and emerse myself in the familiarity of star wars

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    To me SW has a sense of uniqueness and epicness that doesn't exist anywhere else. It is so immersive and not like anything else out there, that IMO it's impossible to compare it to something else. It's the amalgamation (sp?) of many different genres, and many different story elements in the perfect way.

I'd say apart from the amazing score and effects, the Jedi, and the cool lightsaber duels, and all the "pewpew pew pewpew" (which I will always enjoy), SW also has a lot of nostalgic value to me. Not just the OT (which I was never old enough to see in theaters) but all of the films, in their own way because of what led up to them, how I handled the anticipation, and where I was at in my life while they were coming out. I'll never forget seeing Yoda duel with a lightsaber for the first time. I've never had a sense of excitement and anticipation for anything in my life the way I did for ROTS. Those are the most meaningful parts for me I think. The film releases are tentpoles that separate and mark certain memories of my life-from childhood all the way to two years ago.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  17. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021
    An overall story.

18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Similar for me. It represents escapism and a love of adventure.

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
  20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Without getting into the psychologic benefits of Star Wars, simply put Star Wars is a great story with multiple characters that I am heavily invested in.