main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What does the ST add to the Saga? What is its story purpose?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I’d imagine Lucasfilm will go for a more subtle approach, if they decide that they don’t want to go for any ST era related stories. However, the world between worlds concept does exist... and it will be interesting to see if they do anything with it....

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's a bs rumor that I believe was started by Mike Zeroh (he "reported" on something very similar a few months ago).
    Not only is it fair to dismiss it outright, it's even recommended to do so.

3. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Iger signed off on Luke and Han dying, greenlit Solo because of “you have no people,” JJ is his buddy, he told George “well, the contract didn’t say,“ and signed off on Galaxy’s Edge being ST - in fact, I seem to recall it was his idea. So it’s perfect he’d throw Kennedy under the bus as one of his last acts because that’s how he got from TV weatherman to CEO anyway. Then he’s going to be a “creative” consultant to Disney. I can hear all of you laughing from here.

They have been saying canon means nothing since 2017 Celebration. The animated short where they remake the scenes on the Death Star so that Luke gets tangled in the rope before they swing across and those of us who objected were misogynists was proof of that. Besides, they can always cite George as they change things and there will be eleventy billion clickbait articles about how right they are to do this.

Then again, I was gobsmacked when I saw an article saying Luke, Han and Leia were a great trio and the ST was a mess on Screenrant...

4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I can't stand that man...

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  5. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    He’s never right on anything but still has an audience, that’s some talent. What kind of talent escapes me.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I would say it's the talent to sound convincing while lying, but he doesn't even do that; he somehow sounds like he's both reading off a teleprompter and making it up as he goes at the same time.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    It is a highly logical and fair assessment to dismiss them entirely as full of ****. You know why? Because every single Star Wars “rumor” they have reported on since I became aware of them (about six years ago) has proven to be false - and in this case, they are once again repeating a rumor from the fabrication machine that is Mike Zeroh. Saying that they should not be dismissed entirely is the same as saying that QAnon should not be dismissed entirely. In the internet age, you need to be able to discern good information from bad. Otherwise you’re lost. Accept this advice and you’ll become a better citizen. ;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  8. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I don't pay any attention to Mike Zeroh on purpose, so I don't know if he started the whole rumor or not. But I really don't see them striking the whole ST trilogy from canon, for whatever reason. Even though they did it to the entire EU when they bought the franchise. I don't think they would decanonize something that they created.

9. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Some fans want two connected things: to believe in something they want to be true and to annoy the giant. The latter is all they can do against DLF, annoy it with relentless rumor mongering aimed at their most powerful players. KK is getting sacked any minute now. ST is getting cancelled (also goes back to KK is getting sacked because cancellation = vote of no confidence). JJ made a great movie but Iger re-wrote it, re-edited it, re-directed it into a mess that TROS ended up being. You can see a clear pattern. It isn't enough to take out any of these players but it's an annoying, constantly negative PR that the big guy cannot silence. And considering that TROS was partly a re-writing of TLJ, it shows that this form of annoyance does get under the biggie's skin and influence some of their decisions.

For these fans, videos by Mike Zeroh and Doomcock, as well as fleaks from WGTC, Moviepilot, Movieweb, CBN, The Express (sourced by Mike) are a gift. They devour it and spread the word.

10. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    @MotivateR5D4

Let's look at this logically. What would be Disney's ultimate reasoning for erasing the ST from canon? I mean, purely from a cynical/money grabbing aspect, how does it make sense? How would this move improve revenue?

Without a doubt, there are people/fans that are upset with the ST. Yet, correct me if I am wrong, each movie in the ST cleared the (holy grail of box office gold standards) the billion dollar mark. Furthermore, the ST was more of a success critically and (even adjusted for inflation) commercially than the PT.

The only Disney era film that could be considered a true under performer or "flop" is Solo. Which is a shame to me because I love that movie.

Considering all the "scuttlebutt" that seems to have occurred behind the scenes on a lot of these films*, I suppose I can buy rumors that Kathleen Kennedy is on the outs Yet, the "banned from the set of The Mandalorian" rumor seems a bit far fetched as she is featured prominently sitting with all of the creators on the roundtable show.

*Do Hollywood bigwigs even care about behind the scenes production drama as long as the movies make $$$$$$?

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm not sure why people follow these youtubers, unless fake rumors interest you.

12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This is all fair enough. Like I said, I wanted to see what people's take on it was. I had wanted to bring it up here back when the reports first started surfacing, but I wanted to wait a bit to see if anything came of it. And then seeing the latest rumors, figured now is as good a time as any, since I haven't really seen any mention of it anywhere on these boards.

For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of Mike Zeroh myself, but I'm not going to focus on one person to dismiss all the others either. It is interesting how polarizing this all still seems to be. Because there are those who do follow these youtubers and believe every thing they say as fact. And then there is the reaction that I'm seeing on these boards that they are complete and utter bull****. Somewhere in between all that, there's definitely room for discussion about it.

I'm just trying to discern the information myself. That way I'll be a better citizen and won't be lost, according to the unsolicited advice of @Bor Mullet. ;)

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    When in doubt, I suggest going with the interpretations of people here. Most here are a) very knowledgeable about SW and b) very good at smelling BS when they come across it (much better at it than the majority of people getting their SW "news" on YouTube, IMO).

14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Nobody here is any more or less knowledgeable or correct in their interpretations than anywhere else, despite what posters here may think of themselves or their views on SW. This is just one of many places to discuss things.

15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    That's true when it comes to theory and interpretations. Other times a fact is a fact.

1+1 = 2

A YouTube video saying 1+1 = 1 doesn't open the original formula up to debate.

Riv_Shiel and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Which is why I wanted to see what people's perspective on it here was. But it does seem to a polar opposite reaction to what I'm seeing there.

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Seeing where?

18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    On the youtube channels and in the discussions about it there.

19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    well, my perception is that the clickbait baseless rumors are exactly that, clickbait baseless rumors

TCF-1138 and EHT like this.
  20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Remember when Pablo Hidalgo used to tell us which rumors were completely bull?

Good times.

21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That's a valid assessment.

22. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    If something is too good to be true than it very likely isn't real. So factor that and whether the rumor sounds like an actual business decision that studios practice or like a wishful thinking by someone who has no clue how business works. And you'll get your validity answer.

23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That's a perfectly reasonable way of looking at it, and I would agree with it.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, so the people peddling BS on YouTube and the people who follow them there are saying it's NOT BS... that checks out.

TCF-1138 and chris hayes like this.
  25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm not sure what you are implying.

It's a large following with a lot of discussion on several different channels that's been going on for a while now. I never said I fully believe everything being said there either. Just that I'm getting another perspective on it. But that the quickness of calling it bs seemed like a knee jerk reaction to it as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.