main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What does the ST add to the Saga? What is its story purpose?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Also, Star Wars can't just keep being the OT over and over again. The OT are my favorite films, but they've been made. For Star Wars to survive, it's gotta be able to progress. The ST doesn't progress the story. It repeats the previous story, because "everybody liked that one".

2. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    I, like a host of others, left TFA with such a sense of relief. It did what it needed to do. It was too much of an ANH rehash, but it felt right. The PT absurdity was gone.
    I'll leave my criticism with this - remember obi wan riding a stupid dinosaur? I do. Can't forget it.

They don't need to be the OT. But that is the feel they need to have. I'm not sure Solo had it.
    I can't even know how to respond to 'The ST doesn't progress the story.' I literally don't understand that criticism. The saga films live in the saga. For the saga to continue, progressing out into some completely new conflict isn't an option. The basic story of the rise and fall of the galactic empire is the saga boundary. They did things to allow that to be continued and ultimately finished. Ultimately I see most of the TLJ/ST criticism in this light - people wanted the saga to step outside of the saga while letting the old guys have another on screen adventure. I don't think either of those could happen in a good story. Doesn't mean you have to like what we got, but I think the basics of what a lot of people wanted are dq'd from the inception.

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Personally I rather originality over a rehash of the OT. That's my biggest issue with the ST so far. For the most part, it lacks originality. I also don't feel that they have the same "feeling" as the OT. The OT had a romanticism to it. The ST feels nihilistic to me. The OT wasn't meta narrative in nature. The ST to me feels very meta narrative in nature. The similarities for me between the OT and the ST are mainly in the plot. The area where I would least want repetition and most want originality.

4. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    Call it a rehash if you like. I don't think we'll be saying that in the end. I don't think you can say that about TLJ. It's a fair TFA criticism.

Look I defend the prequels to people that really hate them. But they were just not good. One more shot of that originality would have been the end. Doesn't mean we need a rehash, but we needed the feel to be right, and I'll say the the feel of the PT was drastically wrong.

5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    TLJ is more original than TFA (why I mark it above TFA and rank TFA as the worst Star Wars movie) but still borrows very heavily from ESB and ROTJ. What's the plot? Oh, Rey has to save Kylo. Why? As the meta narrative dialogue tells us, mainly because Luke cared about saving Vader, so perforce Rey must care about saving Kylo. Oh, and she also got a vision that she has to save Kylo's soul just like Luke got a vision that he had to save his friends in ESB. What are Rose and Finn doing? Oh, they're meeting a sketchy gambler on a gambling world who will betray them so it's the Cloud City and Lando plot again although with less nuance. Like most of the ST has less nuance than the OT it copies.

Even if TROS does something original, it still took three movies to get there from my perspective. So two out of three movies were just weaker rehashes of the OT to me, which makes me wonder why I would bother to watch the ST when I can watch the OT? I've seen the OT more times than I can count. The ST? Well, I've seen TFA and TLJ twice each because I don't think either has that much that is original to say. The ST is fun entertainment on first view, but I'm not drawn back to it in the way I'm drawn back to other Star Wars movies.

6. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    Luke didn't care about saving vader in ESB.

7. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    He did in ROTJ. Why I said TLJ borrows heavily from ESB and ROTJ.

8. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    I missed the ROTJ part.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    No problem. I could have been clearer in my writing too. :)

10. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    That was kind. Can we get back to calling eachother stupid now?

11. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    George wanted more to the saga after RotJ, seems the simplest & obvious explanation.

12. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    To be honest, I'm not sure what the point of the ST was (story-wise), even in George's version. It seems like anything more than the original 6 would just be an addendum, rather than an essential part of the story, which is what it should be. I would be interested to see how it would've played out.

As it stands now, it seems kind of unnecessary.

13. The Star Wars Sequels are like Dragon Ball Super unnecessary and disappointed
    Just an easy nostalgic cash grab

14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

15. Internets

Internets Jedi Master star 1

Nov 28, 2008
    Yeah, Obi-Wan Kenobi riding a dinosaur is a thousand times more awesome than anything TFA. That film was such a poor foundation for any future films. It didn't have anything to say and simply ripped off A New Hope without any of the emotional or thematic core. Say what you will about TLJ but at least it was actually about something.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Obi-Wan riding a dinosaur was fantastic. TFA and TLJ were not.

17. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    It's weird to even bring up Obi-on-a-dinosaur in this context imo because the rathtars exist. I mean, if Obi riding a dinosaur is bothersome, I would think Han hauling killer octopuses would also be bothersome. I prefer Obi on the dinosaur myself. In addition to looking cooler, it was interesting world building, which I dig and which the STs lacks.

18. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I guess I'm at a loss as to why Obi-wan riding a veractyl is suddenly bad. Is hating that scene a thing now? I can't keep track of what I'm supposed to hate about the prequels.

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    One time I was watching Star Wars and I saw a stormtrooper sitting on a dinosaur and Sand People riding woolly mammoths.

20. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    All this rehash nonesense...star wars films are meant to rhyme and mirror

fugacity likes this.
  21. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I like both tho the CGI wasn't up to the Job in clones so looks naff. Anakin riding the thing in the field is unforgivably bad which is a shame as I liked the waterfall scene. ST has up to date production values so looks less false. I like it all tho.

22. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Even rhymes are meant to have originality and new meaning when repeated. So far the ST has lacked that for me.

23. Internets

Internets Jedi Master star 1

Nov 28, 2008
    It started with TFA and its decision to mirror Luke's story [arguably] for the third time (if you go by the kid from a dusty planet becoming a Jedi angle, so you'd include Anakin there). What else can you really do if that's what you're working with?

If it was me, I would have used Leia as the template and had Rey be an adopted daughter of a rich family on a peaceful planet. You still have your 'rhyme' if that's part of the remit whilst simultaneously giving us something we haven't seen, but whatever.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  24. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    OT = A hero’s journey
    PT = A hero’s tragedy
    ST = A heroine’s journey

As you can see, the Prequel trilogy and Sequel trilogy, are each variations of the Orginal trilogy by changing one word from the OT description.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  25. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    The heroine's journey could probably have a bit more of her own plot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.