main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What does the ST add to the Saga? What is its story purpose?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    As far as I understand, this is not an anti-sequel forum. It does not exclude fans that like the ST. That there are more posters here whom actively feel less positive about the sequels, IMHO, is reflective of the wider fan community at large... especially now that the trilogy has ended, and that no final film can work to lift the sequels beyond their current state. Fans that find the ST mixed, hugely flawed or just plain bad, are not subject to silence. They can comment and voice an opinion just as others can. That fans of the ST (or those that are unequivocally positive towards them) are increasingly in the minority (certainly on social media/fan sites) is just the reality of the situation. This is not a conspiracy, but it kind of feels like you're on the Titanic trying to sell the virtue of ice to fellow passengers... and I get that.

I too was in a minority when TFA came out... given that I thought it was a really poor film, and that most fans seemed to believe it was a reasonable start to the ST... so I know how it feels to debating with several posters at a time. Such is life...

RetropME, wobbits, mtt02263 and 5 others like this.
  2. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Yep. As my sig says, nobody ever had their mind changed by strangers on the internet. So it's all good, either way.

RetropME likes this.
  3. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    These are discussion forums and yes if someone post something positive they are met with some push back. The exact same thing happens when people post something negative maybe not as much as in the past but it used to all of the time. I think the main reason why some fans of the ST find it hard to discuss topics in here is that on certain subjects they don’t want to really discuss. It’s I want to talk to people that share the same opinion as me and not discuss any negatives or even agree that there are some negatives.

All of the negative comments were in one thread and it was the most active thread on the board so much so that everyone kept coming in to derail it as the rest of the threads were fairly quiet.

I can see the positives and understand why someone may like certain things but I am not going to not discuss the negatives as well especially when this Trilogy has unquestionably damaged the brand. Your not going to be able to limit discussion on a discussion forum.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  4. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Exactly. It's beyond a culture of fair criticism and genuine back and forth. It's a culture that breeds toxicity even amongst the mods, who are supposed to know/do better. There used to be a gushers and bashers thread exactly for this reason.

5. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Ironically, I suspect that they do want to discuss them, but don't bother once they find themselves up against a closed shop of critical contributors who have made these forums their own sounding board, and where any attempt to comment positively about the sequels in whole or part, is met with derision.

You only have to look at who is regularly liking who's posts in this forum and the content of those posts to gauge the atmosphere and culture here.

6. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    There's no closed shop here. There's no one stopping you from voicing the opinion you want to. And there's no one stopping the ST fans from coming here in droves if they wanted to. If you're looking for a safe space, a fan club, where only love and admiration is allowed, this isn't the place for that.

And no one here - on both sides - is breeding toxicity, at least not because "six of seven disgruntled contributors" who want to critique the movie here. This is one of the safest less toxic places on the internet. You want toxic fans? Head over to youtube comments. I do see quite a few fans of the ST who continually make this about 'other posters', though, and try to deride them personally, instead of the actual movie. There is that.

I mean, Lobot you've called me a - what was that insult from a few weeks ago - oh that's right, a "middle-aged malcontent". Instead of rebutting my argument you made it personal. How is that not toxic? Why is that kind of comment okay? But analyzing and critiquing the movie is what's wrong on this forum?

RetropME, wobbits, mtt02263 and 7 others like this.
  7. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Did you take that as an insult? It was a fair observation of the populace here I thought. [face_laugh] (We aren't getting any younger bro)

I'm not talking about it being toxic here, it just feels like it lacks balance because of the most vocal contributors, who are the critics. I don't mind personally but I can see why some fans might have given up and just give the sequel forums a swerve.

Maybe that is the ultimate answer to the thread's question?

Division.

8. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    It doesn't matter how I took it. And it's not a fair observation. Because my age has nothing to do with the ST.

What matters is that you feel you need to make the debate about who's posting here. And making fun of people you don't agree with. As you just did again, with the funny face. And so that contributes to the atmosphere too. In a negative way.

9. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    The smiley / fun face is traditionally used to add levity to the end of a sentence is it not? That wasn't making fun of you, it is just to indicate a friendly tone brother. We're friends, right?

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Everyone stop... this thread has been dragged off-topic for this back-and-forth long enough. While the issue and the reports get looked into, you all would be well advised to discuss the topic or not post in here at all. The forum mods will be dealing with next steps in here.

11. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Apologies if I have stepped over the line in any way. Moderator warning acknowledged.

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I am temporarily closing the thread until the other mods get input on this.

TCF-1138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.