main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What does the ST add to the Saga? What is its story purpose?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, you're right, I'm just being flippant. It's not like the idea of doing another superweapon has been lampooned (and rightfully so) for years or anything.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I wouldn't say that those are antirequisites for JJ, or anyone, genuinely wanting to make a continuation.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thing is, making fun of superweapons is what we do out of universe in total safety.

One of the things I really like Rogue One for is it showed the reality of the Death Star in a way no prior story did - that, in the galaxy it was created in, it worked. It terrified beings into submission as soon as they heard about it. Scary? Certainly, but it's a perfect portrait of the Empire - what it's all about and where it's going.

Would those guys start building a Starkiller? Of course they would.

4. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I don't know, if that was Rogue One's central purpose, then it really wasn't worth it. It's a weapon that largely speaks for itself. Besides, I was not speaking in-universe. I'm speaking strictly from a narrative perspective. Besides, Starkiller Base doesn't bring anything new. It's just dumb and absurd. It's not necessarily that much bigger of a threat, it destroys an entity that no one in the audience actually cares about because it only existed in the film for its own destruction and the only reason it is made to destroy Hosnian is because it gets rid of the hardest part of a post-ROTJ Star Wars story that needs to be written. On top of that, it did not even necessarily need that much of a greater effort to destroy Starkiller than it did to destroy the first Death Star. A total hack move on all accounts.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That comparison doesn't work. The Death Star could be destroyed from outside, unlike Starkiller Base. As I already explained, you had to land on that planet from hyperspace, which no sane mind would ever attempt. And once landed there, you needed to enter a military base and deactivate the shields there. Then you needed to get inside the thermal oscillator and blow a huge hole in it, so that fighters could enter it and destroy it from the inside. To pretend that this was somehow easy or something anyone could have thought of when planning the defense of the station is disingenuous to say the least.

An insult is an insult. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that the people who did it lacked drive or ambition. And that is the entire problem, you aren't arguing in good faith. You are making assumptions with no proof whatsoever, you pretend to know what other people are doing or feeling, and you insult the people who worked on it because they dared to do something you don't agree with. There is no content in your post, just inane drivel that insults people for the sake of insulting them.

Don't talk about stuff you have no idea about. And you most definately do not have any idea how much ambition and drive existed for the writers. You don't have to like what they came up with, I personally don't find it particularly creative either, but that doesn't give you the right to insult those people, or state that they lacked drive or ambition when you couldn't possibly know that. The amount of time and effort invested into a project has nothing to do with whether everyone will like it or not. You can spend an entire life working on something that someone else doesn't see anything in. Doesn't mean that the person who worked on it lacked drive or ambition, all it means is that you don't like what a person came up with.

6. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Dude, this thing is a military installation that is essentially a planet that was turned into a hollowed-out cannon which houses goodness knows how much of the First Order's own military. This should have been something that took a fleet to destroy. Either that, or they should have come up with a better idea than "lEt'S JusT sPeED THrOuGh tEh sHIeLd aNd HoPE FoR tHE BeSt". It's like they saw the invasion of Iserlohn Fortress from Legend of the Galactic Heroes and said, "Hey, guys, let's just do a really crappy version of this."

How would we not know about it when the final result is clearly representative of everything I've said?

Hmmmm, Jedi_Fenrir767 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  7. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Because the highly absolutist statements of JJ's motivations is based upon something so subjective.

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  8. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    It's good to know I've finally whittled it down to "It's just your opinion, maaaan."

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    That's not my point at all though. Normally I think it's impolite to infer such disparaging motivations based upon the fact you didn't like the film they created.

10. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I mean, it's in poorer faith to insinuate that I'm arguing these things simply because I didn't like the film. It's the particular reasons why I dislike it that I am attributing these motivations to them in the first place.

11. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Which brings me back to what I said. The reasons why you think a = b are highly subjective which is why I don't think it's good form to draw such absolutist statements about someones work based upon them. It'd be different if we had motivations from JJ that alluded to such motivation.

12. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Yes, because people readily admit stuff like that all the time.

13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Okay? Doesn't really change my point.

14. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    No, I'm not trying to change it. I'm acknowledging the unlikelihood of what you're saying. I doubt we'll ever get anything out of Abrams that is along the lines of him admitting his own excruciatingly apparent faults as a storyteller, especially as far as this film is concerned. It will most likely never happen. So saying that we need to wait for him to give credence to my point when his own oeuvre says it all is ridiculous.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The point is that we have no way of knowing the motivations of the filmmakers involved. We can only assess the result. It could be that they were lazy or unmotivated, etc, etc. Or maybe they worked their buts off and just aren't very good storytellers. Sometimes people work hard at something and it still turns out bad. A bad result is not proof of bad intent. Personally, I just don't think JJ is very good, but I'm sure he works hard at it.

EDIT: Obviously the above is only meant as a response to the debate, and not as an objective assessment of JJ as a filmmaker or TFA as a film. So, don't come at me, lovers of all things ST.;)

16. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Someone that possess the fact, please relate whether or not the drafting of the theatrical TFA script took more than 8 weeks. While walking around a city.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I have to say that I wouldn't agree with the idea that people expect a super weapon like the Death Star in every Star Wars movie. Only two of the six Prequels and Originals have a plot centered around a Death Star super weapon. Personally, I think a super weapon like Starkiller Base risks being too derivative of the Death Star which Star Wars fans have already seen twice, but if a super weapon like Starkiller Base was to be used, it could have been used in service of a plot that wasn't borrowed largely from A New Hope. If, for instance, Rey wasn't captive on Starkiller Base (like Leia), Han wasn't killed by Kylo in front of Rey (like Vader kills Obi-Wan in front of Luke), and Starkiller Base wasn't destroyed in basically the same way as the Death Star at the end of the first movie, Starkiller Base would probably feel different enough from the Death Star that it would be acceptable to me. The thing is if you borrow the super weapon idea from A New Hope, don't take a majority of your plot from A New Hope as well. That is the point where it will feel very much like a copy of A New Hope rather than a new movie. At least for me.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For all that the talk was of TFA being an ANH remix, when I finally got around to it I found it to be far more an OT remix entirely. At the time I thought that meant that, having got the OT stuff done and out of its system, TLJ would use the springboard of TFA to do something new and interesting... And there's how that turned out.

19. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    it feels like a copy because it's meant to. It's a soft reboot. This didnt' happen by accident. Remember the world prior to Disney buying star Wars. We had the OT which was loved and the PT which was absolutely hated. Yes back before Disney bought Star Wars the vast majority of fans and the general public hated the PT.

When they made the purchase there was a huge outrcy that Disney was going to ruin Star Wars. So they needed to prove that Disney could make a Star Wars movie.

They also had to introduce a whole new generation to the series. So a soft reboot is what they made and as we can see from the Box office of TFA, DVD sales and so on it worked.

It's stil the highest grossing domestic film of all time.

Now for the next film they let RJ go in a completely different direction and it seems to payed off. We will see what JJ does with the 3rd film

After which I hope to see the next trilogy take us somewhere completely different.

20. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    TLJ felt very derivative of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi for me (I can only be grateful that the throne scene doesn't end with Kylo's redemption a la Vader) so maybe that will mean that Rise of Skywalker will finally be free to tread new narrative ground. That would make me happy, so I live in hope. I think this sequel trilogy has been at its strongest when it does focus on new characters and new storylines instead of the ones we have seen before.

21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I can't really phrase it any differently. The evidence that you're citing is highly subjective. It's therefore probably poor form to use it to draw conclusions on the intent and motivation of a filmmaker. We'll probably just have to agree to disagree.

MarcJordan likes this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think Kylo is also an Anakin remix, and Rey a bit of a Chosen One remix. TFA plays like a "Star Wars Greatest Hits" movie.

23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Pro Scoundrel , I also think that Kylo comes across as being very similar to Anakin while Rey seems to fit into the Chosen One mold of previous Star Wars movies. That's part of the reason why it wouldn't surprise me if the end game of the Sequel Trilogy involved Rey and Kylo balancing the Force somehow.

24. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    This is one of the reasons why I sometimes find myself arguing that, of the two films released thus far, TFA seems to be pulling double duty as both the intro film and as the cliff-hanger heavy second film, which causes some of the dissonance and conflict with TLJ trying to fulfill the latter half while, yes, also trying to do a pastiche of a third film as well. Both are clearly intended as distillations of multiple Star Wars films, but their radically different tones and philosophies is the result of the different priorities of the directors.

I mean, in terms of cliff hangers, lose plot threads, major unanswered questions, and characters in peril, TFA clearly beats TLJ, because I think those elements excite Abrams; not *just* the mystery box, but the hanging-on-the-edge-of-your-seat compulsion to find out “what happens next?!?” That’s why he wound up leaving so many salivating-worthy plot threads for the next movie even when they weren’t tied to a major mystery box - stuff like Snoke saying he was going to complete Kylo’s training, Finn being ina. Coma as Rey promises to see him again, and the way the film shoots and shows Luke at the end f the film to maximize suspense for the next film. Abrams is clearly a guy who’s favorite time was in the speculation and madness of ESB after the Vader reveal and Han’s incapacitation.

In contrast, I think Johnson was most excited by what he saw as the more esoteric and ephemeral elements of the OT... but not necessarily the plot lines. He was trying for what he felt was more spiritually and emotionally impactful, and that’s why his film, even when it directly apes ESB and ROTJ, seems unconcerned with the serialized nature of the product. Where Abrams was viewing Star Wars as one massive story building on top of itself, Johnson was viewing it as a singular whole that could maybe be evolved with the right artistic eye.

And unfrotaunetly for me, that means that I was exactly the kind of guy to find all of TFA’s dangling plot threads super compelling and all of TLJ’s answers incredibly deflating and, to some extent, meaningless. I’m a guy who values characterization and plotting over everything else; you can abandon any major theme or message provided I still think the plot is sharp and characters strong. And that means leading up to an anti-climax that I feel is redundsnt is the kiss of death.

25. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, but the Chosen One is a status. Not a character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.