main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What does the ST add to the Saga? What is its story purpose?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Luke started with 12 students but I’m pretty sure he acquired more.

Also darksiders are not a necessity in stories about the Jedi. Some examples being the legends NJO series, Vong vs Jedi. In canon we have the Nihil in the upcoming High Republic era, where the Sith have yet to reveal themselves to the Jedi.

There are ways in which we could have a dark side threat to Luke’s students before Ben turning evil. Give Snoke an apprentice pre Kylo Ren that causes trouble for the Academy.

Shadao and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  2. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    The way Luke's Jedi Academy is established in the ST is small scale, but it didn't have to be written like that. We're talking about changing aspects of the ST; the number of students he had can be changed as well.

And we're talking about restarting the Jedi in a galaxy filled with people who willingly swallowed Imperial propaganda painting the Jedi as traitors to the Republic. All kinds of interesting stories could have been written... but instead we skipped over all of that potentially interesting stuff so that the ST could be just like the OT.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    AusStig, Shadao, Miles Lodson and 4 others like this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    It's star wars saga, you have to have a darksider who wields a lightsaber.

4. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    That’s a short sighted vision. Star Wars shouldn’t be put in that box for future material. There is room for stories about Jedi vs Sith (or other types of saber users) as well as Jedi vs villains who don’t use lightsabers. Having one does not mean removing the other.

What if the ancient days of the Jedi before lightsabers were invented, were ever explored? Should that never happen simply because Star Wars HAS to have lightsaber wielding villains?

I’m expecting their to eventually be a dark Jedi active in the High Republic era, but it’s not going to happen right away. There will be plenty of stories about the Jedi not encountering a saber using evil doer. Perhaps we will see another story of a evil muggle using a lightsaber.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Star wars movies without lightsabers and the force then it's just another generic space movie.

The Chalk Jedi and tymaux like this.
  6. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I never said without the force.

The force should be in all Star Wars movies.

But if done right, I think a Star Wars film can be well made without lightsabers.

A dawn of the Jedi film (or set after its creation but still early years) could work without lightsabers. We can still see the force at work as well as duels (lightsaber werent the 1st melee weapon Jedi used in their history).

Shadao and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    And they with sticks and swords, not as exciting as a lightsaber.

8. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Your assuming it’s mere swords.

Let’s just wait and see. I’m sure one day the very early days of the Jedi will be explored.

AusStig likes this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Sure it could be some other less lethal weapon. If they go early jedi they almost have to involve mortis.

10. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    So was Han.

Try it after being a 40 year fan.

11. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I really have to wonder why Rian Johnson wanted to write AND direct. He's a fine director; he got great performances out of everyone. His writing choices are just baffling. TFA set up Snoke as the big bad with a mysterious origin, but Rian didn't like it so he killed him off with absolutely no explanation as to where he came from. And then you have the friendship between Finn and Poe from TFA. Rian decides to split them up for almost the entire film. I wish Rian would have directed a script written by someone else because it seems like Rian had no idea what to do with most of the characters.

Plus, the ST feels like a tug of war with JJ going one way and Johnson going the other. And neither of them make any headway. I'm astounded that Kathleen Kennedy still has a job.

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    His real age doesn’t matter. It was never mentioned in the films anyway. He plays a teenager, essentially. And I think that was a mistake.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    His real age absolutely matters, because there is a big difference between a teenager behaving like a teenager, and a 30-year-old behaving like a teenager. The difference is “exhibiting a negative side of teenage behavior which can be annoying but is developmentally on par and understandable” and “being a grown-ass man who deliberately refuses to grow the hell up.”

If he is playing a teenager, and his age is not mentioned in the film, then in the ancillary material, his age should be listed as 17-18. Not 30.

I’m not going to view him as a teenager if he isn’t one. And I’m not going to pretend that a 30-year-old is a teenager when he isn’t, not in a character whose species is human. (Because while you might not do it, I could see someone throwing a Baby Yoda argument out just to be contrarian. :rolleyes: )

AusStig, Shadao, PendragonM and 8 others like this.
  14. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    ...just like his grandfather...

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    To a point. But Anakin wasn’t 30.

Kylo was Anakin at his worst moments, and seven years older.

16. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Kylo Ren just makes me think of this guy...
    [​IMG]

17. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    ^^^ That was supposed to be JP from Grandma's Boy.

18. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Even worse when the actor portraying him is damn-near 40 himself. This whole idea of him being a teenager was just absolutely the wrong angle to take on every level.

19. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I mean sure if you ignore the PT just like JJ Abrams did, then I can see why you would think that.

JJ could have easily taken the overall arc of 1-6, ignored what he didn't like about the PT, and told a really cool story about why the Jedi are needed in the universe. But he went for spaceships instead - ignoring every single mythic thing about the Star Wars saga that Lucas built.

20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Kylo’s age actually matters to the story.

Leia was the first person Luke tried to train right after RotJ, but she had to stop when she became pregnAnt.

21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    If his age actually mattered to the story, then perhaps it would have been mentioned in the seven and a half hours worth of film Kylo was in...Nobody who doesn’t read ancillary material has any idea how old he is. It’s inconsequential.

The point is not that he is actually an adolescent human. It’s that his character was deliberately given the traits of the worst kind of adolescent. And that’s all that matters. The fact that he was a 30-year old with the mentality of an adolescent is just icing on the cake. Either way, he was a ****** human being. And I don’t give actual ****** adolescents a break. ;)

22. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I am.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    The jedi are an jedi order would never been apart of the story of the ST. It would be bout Luke falling to rebuild and young girl finding him on an island and having an adventure together and he trains her and having them go this world where there midi-chlorians are born from or something to that regard. Luke would die in episode 9.

24. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    They should have made Kylo the exact same age as Rey. That way the Dyad thing might have even carried more weight.

Shadao likes this.
  25. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hernalt and Bob Effette like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.