main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What does the ST add to the saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Whilliam, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    To me, only thing the sequel trilogy does is simply extend the saga. We won’t know completely until episode 9 comes out. If it somehow manages to tie everything together then it could potentially add a lot as far as the legacy of the Jedi but as it stands now, I find the sequel trilogy actually TAKES AWAY from the saga because the story has been so terrible up to this point. I like TFA but TLJ craps all over the story. Fingers crossed that they turn this train wreck around.

2. libraryMom1

libraryMom1 Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2019
    Imagine you have 3 delicious scoops of blue ice cream. A delicious sundae. No need to add anything. Everyone loves it. That’s the OT. Let’s throw some sprinkles on it. While the sprinkles are not necessary to the sundae and it would be weird to like on their own but still can enhance the sundae for some. That is the PT. And now let’s finish it with a cherry on top. Wait, not everyone likes cherries! It’s a fruit, so different from the other sugary components of the sundae. But you know what, some people do find a place for the cherry. It’s different sure and doesn’t fit as well as the sprinkles but hey it’s still sweet. That sweet cherry enhances the sundae for some but others would rather be without feeling it to be unnecessary. The cherry is obviously the ST. So what I’m ultimately getting at is that the ST is a fine addition to a collection of movies but for some just isn’t necessary. I’d also like to point out that no matter how much you despise cherries on your sundae you cannot deny their inherent sweetness. For individuals who do not feel the ST enhances or contributes to the saga take it for what it is, fan fiction with a huge budget, and I’m sure you can enjoy something from it as it’s own separate entity.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    To me that analogy would work better if instead of cherry it was some kind of plastic replica of a sundae, that would more accurately reflect my thoughts on the ST.

A cheap, soulless, hugely flawed imitation.

Sith Lord 2015 and Deliveranze like this.
  4. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Pain...suffering...death.

The sequels feel more like an unnecessary epilogue than a true sequel story to me.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Legacy is big theme in the ST, while also as the OT characters are fixing the mistakes of the PT characters, which happens in the ST too. But the burden of Legacy, living up to it, becoming it, is probably a big theme. "This is the Millennium Falcon? You're Han Solo?" "I used to be!" "And so I became a legend."

6. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    For me they add nothing of relevance, since I have my own canon and EU/Legends stuff is just better.
    Maybe they should have made a clean start and setting the sequels 100 or even 1000 years after ROTJ.

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'm hoping that the TROS will make it clear to me what the Sequels add to the saga and that if they do it will somehow pertain to balancing the Force with Rey as an embodiment of the Light Side and Kylo as an embodiment of the Dark Side. It's the only way I can see to effectively connect all three trilogies and would make sense of some of the yin-yang symbolism we got in TLJ.

BigAl6ft6 and christophero30 like this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the ST adds more into the Force in a big with both TFA and TLJ, TROS might too. IT adds to the tradegy of the Skywalker clan, with chosing between the dark and the light. IT also adds you don't have to a sith nor a jedi to be a powerfull force user. IT adds on the legacy of the Empire and Palpatine's legacy. I think it's a fine add on to Lucas films. Something from TLJ is not far from what he would have done.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  9. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Probably too early to jump to conclusions with the ST not even complete. We are likely still missing over 33% of the puzzle.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  10. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Agree with @Darth Buzz.

As of right now, it adds a continuation of the saga for those who want one. In 2012, I was beyond excited for a new trilogy, but I became more wary as 2015 approached (having gone through a few pivotal years during that time), hoping the ROTJ ending wouldn't be ruined.

I have mixed feelings about the trilogy we've gotten so far, but IX will give me a final, definitive opinion, like @devilinthedetails said. I like the idea of passing down the torch, but I want it done right.

The good things about ROTJ's finality is that it can be considered the very end for those who prefer it that way. This also was the case when the Legends EU was publishing, although I personally followed it and chose to take it into account. There have always been people selective of what they consider "real" Star Wars, and I think that's totally fine. The ST's existence doesn't change that.

I may end up in the "selective" category myself if I am disappointed by TROS, but I'll have to wait and see. I also probably won't have a definitive answer upon my first viewing, which has been the case for every Star Wars film so far.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  11. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
  12. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    If we consider SW to be a single story (and therefore, each trilogy should add to that story), the first chapter establishes Anakin as the main hero and Palpatine as the main villain. The end of Ep.3 passed the torch to a new generation, so that the transition to the CT would work. ROTJ ends the story of Anakin and Palpatine, making any other chapter unnecessary. Furthermore, there was no "passing the torch" in that episode that would naturally lead to a new chapter.
    So far, the ST hasn't even tried to be part of the same story. They are closer to spin-offs/remakes than actual sequels. Now, it is possible (and likely) that with the return of Palpatine, they will try to make it fit with the rest of the saga. It will depend on the importance of Palpatine, and also if Anakin/Vader has any significant role.
    In any case, I don't think they can make the whole ST feel a natural continuation of the Saga, no matter how hard they try with the final chapter. ROTJ feels like a full ending, and TFA doesn't even try to extend the story, naturally or otherwise. There is no conection betwen both trilogies.