main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What felt like the most near-universe-breaking things in both Legends and New EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I'm going to push back on this one a little; I think Ahsoka is unusually young to become a Padawan, given that the show makes a point of calling her a "Youngling" in her first few appearances.

2. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Could be. Though in Legends, the standard age for younglings to become Padawans was 13-14 and Dave Filoni knows a lot about the EU, not to mention TCW was made before the Disney retcon, so I think the old EU played its influence when they were deciding Ahsoka's age.

3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The EU had it that humans had to become padawans before 13 or be sent to the Agri Corps. Obi-Wan almost suffered this fate. Ahsoka being young at 14 was stated at the time to be due to different Togruta maturity rates from humans.

Now, Disney canon has Depa telling 14 year old human Kanan he's too young to be a padawan in the Kanan comic, so the old "become a padawan before 13" rules of the EU have been eliminated for good (and likely never existed in the universe of Disney canon).

However this ignores the fact that the old EU established those rules of young padawans before 13 to explain why Anakin immediately became a padawan at 9 and not a youngling. Disney canon has yet to give an explanation.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    MrDarth0 likes this.
  4. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    What were they gonna do, shove him in a clan with a bunch of three years olds? Or worse, shove him into a clan with a bunch of nine year olds who have six more years of training than him? They didn't even want to train him in the first place.

MrDarth0 and Outsourced like this.
  5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Actually yeah (class of 9 year olds). Learning to work with beings from all walks of life is part of the Jedi way after all. Obi-Wan could have helped him with catch-up work.

6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    So... he'd basically be Obi-Wan's padawan anyways?

Jedi Princess likes this.
  7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I was thinking possible padawan. Basically Anakin is thrown in with the class and if he makes the grade then he gets to really be Obi-Wan's padawan. Obi-Wan helps him out in any way he can legally (because Anakin is a late newcomer), but no preferential treatment

Having been in graduate school, it would be like first year grad student getting mentorship from a professor who isn't your advisor yet, but with the understanding that if you pass quals s/he will be.