main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends What Good May Come?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth Invictus, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Note: This will be a grim story at times, and I hope I will treat characters fairly, I do not promise happy endings for most of them, only that no one is treated without sincerity, if not kindness. If you are unfamiliar with these characters, the setting, and the context of the story I will do my best to elucidate it for you as the story progresses, I have decided not to do a title crawl or some pretentious, deep(TM) introduction. This is an Invincible AU, with a point of divergence during the Second Battle of Roche. Criticism is welcome as are comments, and without further adiu I present, For What Good May Come.

For What Good May Come?

A Star Wars Invincible AU.

And why not say, “Let us do evil that good may come”? —as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation is just. Romans 3:8

“Uncle Luke says a Jedi must never attack, only defend” “But Jacen, to be a good defender you must be willing to go on the attack” He blocked her strike again, and then countered, nearly splitting her shoulder in two. The cool breeze of Yavin IV circled around them, almost as palpable as the connection between the twins in the force. They may have had different interests, Jaina her piloting and machinery, and Jacen his love of animals, ecoystems, and truth be told all life, but they held an inseparable connection, where one was weak, the other reinforced, where one doubted, the other gave courage, where one was hurt, the other lent power to heal. The twin siblings spun around, in a dance of blades-one purple and one green…the bond they shared could never be destroyed.

The conference room was strewn with bodies, as the sound of residual blaster fire echoed throughout the complex, but for Jaina Solo, vision was not the most reliable of senses. Limbs, heads, and strung out burned bone was all she could see, all the blaster fire being indistinct lights whizzing above her head, as she tried to hold her head, split open with a gaping wound. Her brother was cutting down the remaining Mandalorians who attempted to flee ineffectually from the chamber,

“Sergeant Kevu, order your men to cut them off at the end of the tunnel, and seal off the ventilation hatches and waste disposal, I want all these Mandalorians dead and their bodies tagged.” “Yes sir”, and the senior stormtrooper moved his squadron down the dark halls to fulfill his commander’s order.

Blaster fire, erupted once again in the room, with Caedus’ men firing somewhere in the corner, “Its Luke Skywalker, fire!, fire!, fire!”, an officer bellowed at the top of his lungs, as several of the Moffs crouched on the other side of the room, firing with their hold out blasters and picked up rifles.

Jaina could sense her brother’s fear, his panic. As he turned side to side, and leapt to the corner, and she heard the clashing of blades, as she began to force herself to her feet, and ran hard to the extraction point, as she began to take her stride, her heart beat suddenly stopped.

“Kill her, my uncle isn’t here, it’s a force projection”, as dozens of stormtroopers turned their blasters on her back and let loose a torrent of super-heated red tinted plasma.

Jaina Solo now could only feel brother striding toward her, a malevolent snarl on his face, “Corporal Taran, clean this up and process all KIAs here”.

“The rest of you, out now”. The stormtroopers either carried off the dead and wounded or filed out of the bloodied wreck of a conference hall

Stepping over her, Caedus know knelt in front of her, and held his hand over her back, while lifting her chin on his knee.

“Cunning plan, you had me fooled for a moment, making me think I was fighting Luke, I do regret this sister but I have a war to win”, “We, I, loved you Jacen”. Life was fading, she would have been dead already, if Caedus was not keeping her alive, “I love you too, and I grieve your death, I wish, truly I wish it didn’t have to be this way, I don’t hate you, or mom or dad, or even Uncle Luke, fools and traitors that they are, but what I am doing is necessary. “Necessary!”, “For who!”, “Don’t you see, you’ve become a monster”, Jaina coughed as her lungs struggled to take in their last bursts of air.

“No sister, I am building a new galaxy, a garden where children will grow and play without war, without all this suffering and strife, and I intend to bring it into being, I am pruning all the weeds, so that flowers will bloom”, this Caedus said with absolute sincerity, and a small touch of tenderness, he kissed her split open forehead, tasting her blood on his mouth, “Your loss is a necessary loss, a sacrifice, on top of all the sacrifices I have made”.

“I’m so sorry, mom and dad, I am so so sorry, I failed, I wasn’t the Sword of the Jedi”, all her training, all her preparations, it had all been for not, and all the proclaimed Sword of the Jedi could see was darkness, except for a small light at the end, and with that, Jaina Solo breathed her last and died.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Keep the controls steady, and don’t let those Imperials get a lock on us”, Han shouted, as if Leia was on the other side of the ship, but in reality she was less than five feet away from him, sitting on her swivel chair trying desperately to keep the Millennium Falcon’s speed and torque constant, as they flew above the asteroids that made up the Roche system.

Han thrashed his hands on the trigger, blowing up one updated Tie Defender and blasting another Starhunter to atoms. Imperial Star Destroyers and Galactic Alliance fighter craft exchanged volleys with Daala’s Chimeara and her Maw Star Destroyers, with the flurry of turbolaser batteries, and screaming star fighters. Even as reinforcements of the anti Caedus coalition kept on coming, Leia felt no relief, no rise of hope or exhilaration one might normally expect when a battle seemed to be turning in one’s favor. All Leia could feel was the pounding of her own heart, and the low roar of the Falcon’s engine.

“Han, we need you here!”. A voice hammered from the comm, it was Corran Horn piloting his StealthX Fighter alongside a squadron of ten other Jedi Knights and Masters, “We need the Falcon’s firepower to get through the Relentless’ turret screen, “right on the way”, Han responded, his voice a mixture of chipper battle giddiness and deep seated anxiety. The Falcon began to turn and accelerate as Leia focused the Falcon’s side blasters on another GA X-Wing, destroying it with the press of a button. “Han!” Leia shouted, having gone to man the dorsal cannons on the port side of the Falcon, the ship shaking and turning with blaster fire, “keep them off of me!”, Han shouted as he moved to regroup with the Jedi squadron.

“Mom, Dad I failed”, like a bolder dropping on her chest, Leia could feel it, the weight crushing her alive. Jaina was dead. Her last child was dead. She had failed. Leia had failed, Han had failed, Luke had failed, they had all failed, and her children were dead! They were all dead! Leia began to cry, it was a battle her life was at risk, and she was crying! Tears turned to sobs, and she drove her head into the console, crying, “Leia!, Leia!” Han yelled, as he rushed from the pilot’s chair, “the battle has turned, Caedus’ forces are winning, we have to get out of here”. Leia turned her head to see her husband, and he knew. “Jaina is dead Han, Jace..Caedus killed her”.

At an earlier time, Han would have doubted, he would have asked, if she was sure, but having been married to and around Jedi for most of his life now, he understood not to question the inklings, insights, and information his family of Jedi gained from the force. “We uh, we uh uh we need to go, new base, new hide out” His face turned red as he held back the tears, and she threw herself into his shoulder, as the universe seemed to shatter all around them, as they carried each other back to the pilot’s chamber, their tears overflowing, Han pressed the lever, and the Falcon entered Hyperspace, as their universe had been utterly irrevocably shattered.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Anedon likes this.
  2. Anedon

Anedon Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2016
    A very dark, well written and promising start that makes curious as to where this story will go.

I like this use of a flashback to recall easier times, reminding us just how close the twins where and how things really should have gone the way they went. Also builds up the tension and drama for what is about to come.

Think this really well demonstrates just how much the Legacy of Luke Skywalker has grown up to this point, that people are just flat out terrified at even the prospect of fighting him, even when they vastly outnumber him.

And here it is, the point of divergence, the moment where the plan fails and Caedus realizes whats going on. And now the emperor has no clothes, now its just Jaina outnumbered and outgunned, alone.

This is kinda ironic to see how the in the event of the "evil" twin triumphing over the "good" one their final exchange is more, at least in its attempts, appologetic than the same scene with their fates reveresed.

Defenetly a dark moment, in a sense makes Jaina even more of tragic figure in this, that in her final moments she is haunted by faliure, believing that her fate was in the end about her killing her brother. Shows just what that damned title did to her.

And here it all comes crashing down on the Solo parents, their daughter, their, in their minds, last child has fallen, in that sense they have utterly failed as parents. And so there is little left for them but to cry, also again kind of ironic that this relativley brief scene has them show more grief than they ever did for Jacen in the OTL.

A great and intresting AU idea, curious where this is going. :)

3. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Thanks! Next Chapter will be out sometime this week.

Basically Caedus doesn't lose his nerve over Luke projecting an illusion, and focuses on eliminating Jaina. Being the AU.

And yeah Han and Leia are devastated. Which will have effects later on.

Thanks for the comment! And yes this will be a dark story.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Anedon likes this.
  4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Chapter 2

His arm lay across from him on the table, cleaned of the spilled blood and disinfected thoroughly. It had been only a few days, by his last count since the Battle of Nickel One. Darth Caedus sat up, on his bed as the medical droid, named too-onebee-three, examined his stump. The wardroom in which he sat had only one patient, him. Across the hall of the Anakin Solo's Medical floor, other prisoners lay in their beds, some from the recent battle of Nickel One, GAG soldiers and stormtroopers, as well as a few prisoners-Mandalorians and Verpine, who were of course kept in more confined conditions and whose medical treatment, was both prelude, and part of the interrogation procedure. The droid had informed him his arm could be re-attached if he so desired, and not wishing a prosthetic Caedus had considered the option and had, with some internal debate agreed. However, he had decided, to forego the procedure for the moment, and return to Coruscant, Tahiri had informed him of Ben’s capture, both through a short signal in the force, and through a recorded holo transmission.

I doubt Tahiri, has the necessary patience and ruthlessness to get what I need out of the boy, and to prevent any kriff ups, I will go and deal with the problem myself.”

More concerning and demanding of reflection, was his sister’s attempt on his life, and her death. So much for the Sword of the Jedi prophecy, Caedus had chided to himself.

He had been there, fourteen years ago when Luke Skywalker had apparently in some sort of induced trance, had declared her the Sword of the Jedi, a weapon against darkness, and protector of the weak.

You will know no rest, but you will bring rest to others”, Caedus recalled his uncle proclaiming. Didn’t Yoda always say, in motion the future was?” Strange, Caedus thought. I was fooled. Luke Skywalker cast his form over her, and his illusion trick in the auditorium nearly allowed her to escape. How much else, had Luke Skywalker done? Can I trust my visions? Has my mind been twisted to his purpose? I need to get to Coruscant now, I will be able to reassess the situation safely there and recover without risk of Jedi attack…at least for a while anyway. I miss her, Caedus thought. I grieve for her. She was my sister; we shared a great bond through the force. I need to grieve, I need to mourn her, so as not to lose touch, to lose sight again. I loved her, and I will suffer the pain of her loss, her sacrifice, my sacrifice.

Getting up from his contemplation, Darth Caedus walked slowly and methodically to the door, more than a little disturbed by his previous line of thought. “My Lord, I highly recommend you don’t leave the medical ward, I need to check for any risk of infections or dead tissue."

“Overridden” Caedus said sternly and impatiently, “I can take care of myself.” The medical droid backed away and bent its mechanical head, “As you command, my Lord”.

The automatic door opened for him, and Caedus walked down the corridor, taking time to note the wounded men and women around him, on his left was an injured stormtrooper moaning constantly as medical droids tended to his burned and bleeding organs, to the poor man’s left was a GAG private, who was under sedation, Private Max Akiran, the young man had fought ably and valiantly during the Battle of Nickel One, out of the corner of his eye, Caedus recalled him killing at least three Mandalorians with his blaster rifle, and slaying another in a brawling melee with the Mandalorian’s own beskar knife. He had apparently sustained serious injuries in the process, peering through the curtain, Caedus observed cloth over his left eye, and a multiplicity of needles in his neck, torso, and all his limbs. His face was so purple, as to be almost black, and his stomach was cut wide open, with his sides thrashed terribly.

I will have to give him a commendation, and a promotion I think, once this is all over. His bravery and self-sacrifice will serve as an example in my new empire. Walking further through the corridor, Caedus heard the cries of men and women, as medical droids rushed from room to room, many carrying medicines, or dispensing prescriptions, clanking on the hard-smooth floor as they did.

Making his way at last to the elevator, Caedus hit the button and the door opened promptly, and on the side of the door, Caedus typed in the code for the bridge level, and the elevator shot upwards, The moffs will no doubt, hew and cry like children, given not a few of them are in body bags now. Cowardly men, for all their bluster and bravado, the Moffs were always keen to have someone else do the dying for them, they desired power, prestige, a revived empire, but they as a whole were not willing to fight for it themselves. Still…they were dangerous, and I can not risk any unexpected defections or last moment battle betrayals.

The elevator stopped, with a sudden thud, and he was on the bridge. The automatic durasteel enforced doors opened, and he stepped out with a reserved urgency, noticing the mods standing around the command consoles, and barking insults at the pilots sitting in their chairs.

Moffs Lecersen, Jowar, Rosset, and Rezer turned around, and approached him as a unified front. Stepping in front of his colleagues, Lecerscen spoke, “Lord Caedus, the fleet has sustained heavy damage, but repairs are nearly finished, Admiral Bwua’tu pulled off a master stroke, with his quick thinking and of course his firepower.” The implication of the praise was obvious, Lecerscen was implying Admiral Nek Bwua’tu not him, was responsible for the victory over the enemy at Nickel One. Caedus curled his lips and smiled,

“Admiral Bwua’tu has done a great service for the Galactic Alliance, his patriotism even in the face of homeworld’s treason is most commendable.”

“As it stands, we have to focus on the future, the Jedi and their allies will strike again, and since we do not know their current location, we remain vulnerable so long as we remain here.”

The moffs remained still, but for small flexing of their fingers and twirling eye lids, their gaze straight but arcing downward. “Lost your nerve?” Moff Rezer snarled. The contempt in the man’s voice obvious.

Ignoring the provocation, Caedus continued “Coruscant is well fortified, we will lick our wounds there and assess the situation from a position of strength.”

The Moffs seemed to dither momentarily, unsure whether to suck up to his word, or challenge his mettle. Finally, Lecerscen spoke. “I concur, my Lord we need to return to safer territory.” Again, the implication obvious, and again, Caedus ignored the provocation. “The fleet will be ready to jump to hyperspace in less than five standard hours.”

The trip back to the Jedi caravan at Shedu Maad was a silent one. Leia had cried all her tears for a week, into Han’s shoulder, into the dashboard. Into her bunk.

I lost her, I failed her. Why did I agree to let Luke send her on this damned mission? She had been so…confident, so willing to do what had been unthinkable, but what needed to be done. Han vacillated between a white-hot rage, having crushed at least three buttons on the Falcon’s board, marginal controls thankfully, and a deep silent sadness. His face red with impotent anger and wet with tears. It had been a silent trip, barring a few words, “please”, “thank you”, “Han”, “Leia”.

And now they were docked on the Loyal Dragon. A Hapan battle dragon with the Jedi coalition, loaned from Queen Mother Tenel Ka. The door of the falcon opened, with its characteristic sound of steam and pistons. Leia and Han walked off the falcon, holding each other. Hapan soldiers, Jedi knights, and other personnel looked in their direction, their expressions a mixture of curiosity and concern.

In the distance of the hangar, a figure ran in their direction…hard.

“Han, Leia!” Corran shouted, his face and beard flush with concern.

“Jaina, I felt her passing…” Corran said, Leia nodded, “I felt it, Caedus killed her” “She failed, Corran”. “I don’t know what will happen now.”

Han turned to her, and said, “I know what’s going to happen, Luke is going to hunt down Jacen, he’s going to hunt him down and he’s going to make him pay, he’s going to send him to the nine hells, I should have sent him there myself the day he was born.”

Leia turned and whimpered a bit, she had heard similar harsh remarks from Han regarding their son before, but she could not bring up the will to say anything, even in agreement.

“The rest of the council sensed it as well, Grandmaster Skywalker has not left his meditation, he refuses food, or sleep.” “Do you want to see him?” “Yes.” Leia replied, firmly and simply. The three of them, then went to the elevator on the Loyal Dragon and hit the code to go to the bottom of the ship.

It was a quick trip, and the lower floor was more dimly lit, spacious with rooms separated by wide areas. And a communal area in the center.

Kyp Durron greeted the trio when they left, “his expression was one of immense sadness, his hair was greying all the faster” Leia seemed to notice. He didn’t speak, but Leia could sense through the force he was barely holding himself together, he had forged a bond with her daughter in the darkest days of the Vong War, and had forestalled her descent into the dark side, “He must hurting deeply”,

“Master Skywalker has been informed of your arrival; he will be here soon”. Kyp left the three, and then Corran spoke, “I’m sorry I need to speak to Cilghal”, and excused himself, heading back to the elevator.

At the end of the hall, a figure in dark robes approached “Han, Leia I’m so sorry.” Luke said, he looked like he had aged a decade, and while he was hiding his emotions in the force, Leia could sense a maelstrom, deep despair, an iron resolve, and frighteningly, a nigh implacable hate, that made her very being chill.

“Jaina died, Luke.” “She died on your orders”. “I know Leia, I know.” “I felt her death in the force, her pain, and her confusion.” “You sent all my children to die”, Han said, his fists stiffening, “you killed them all”, “Jacen and Anakin died above Myrkr, and Jaina died fighting the monster in Jacen’s body”.

“All this Jedi business, what has it brought but disaster for my family!” Han was red hot furious now, and Leia had reacted quickly before he said something he regretted, “Han, you’re not thinking straight, go rest now”.

Leia said, infusing her voice with force enhanced persuasion. Stuttering for a moment, Han complied and left, turning chairs over in anger as he did. She didn’t like doing that, using the force to overpower her husband, but it had to be done, it had to be done.

“Thank you, Leia”. Luke said relieved he did not have to face down an angry Han Solo. “Jaina fought him, I projected an illusion of myself over her, and it broke, Caedus knew he was fighting her, so I had to cast an illusion of myself elsewhere, so as to distract him”.

“I hoped his fear of me, would allow her to escape…or strike a killing blow.” “Apparently Darth Caedus did not lose his nerve, like I had foreseen he would.” Luke gritted his teeth, and held back his obvious tears, “the fault lies with me, not Jaina”. “Was, was, she does not ready for this?”

Luke remained silent for a moment, and then responded, “No I think was, Caedus proved less predictable than I had hoped.” “As you know, she had no hope of fighting him on her own, I couldn’t fool Caedus when it was most needed”. “I failed, not her.” Leia breathed in slowly and wiped her face “What will you do now”, she asked her voice forced with to be strong and not to quiver. “I will destroy Darth Caedus, one way or another”.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Anedon likes this.
  5. Anedon

Anedon Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2016
    This is actually a thing I recently noticed gets often forgotten in the EU, that the option of reattachment exsists, the reason Tenel Ka couldn´t go for it was that her saber blew up with her severed hand, yet outside of that people still get a prostetic even if the body part was recovered.

That defently makes sense, Ben is invaluable as a prisoner so its the smartest thing for Jacen to do to deal with him himself.

Kinda ironic Jacen considers this given it was a vision of the future that convinced him to go evil, instead of seeking another way to prevent it. ;)

Intresting thought, he has realized he has been fooled so he wondered if this was the only instance.

Very dark moment, kinda ironic when one considers just how little his family grieved for him when the fates where reversed.

This is another thing SW often tends to ignore, violence in the movies and EU is often kind of "clean" people die directly so we rarely see the injured, wounded or crippled. This entire side of war is rarely brought up. Also kinda shows that Jacen is still somewhere there, as Caedus still shows empathy to his wounded soldiers, just like Jacen would.

Oh the irony here...

This is actually pretty rare to see Han self reflective as this, he tends to be a person seeking blame by anyone but him. Like blaming Anakin for Chewie´s death.

And here we see a pretty natural turn of events, after blaming himself Han is now firmly back to seeking the blame with others to escape the pain. Will say I just find it disgusting how he talks about Jacen here, but also wonder: If Han(and Leia) had been just a bit more intrested in their older son, if they had at least attempted to understand him, instead of brushing of his thoughts with snark, would this have prevent the distance that grew between him and them and with that Caedus from ever coming into exsistance?

First it was himself, then Jacen, now Luke, Han is pretty good at shifting blame isn´t he?

That´s probably true even in the OTL kinda sad if one considers where they came from.

And so its on now, Luke finally resolving to do what he should have done weeks earlier, going himself instead of sending his niece as a patsy.

Great chapter :)

6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Thanks!

Yeah, I get the impression its more time intensive than prosthetics. Given the nerves and what not have to be re-attached where they were. In canon, the option was presented to him but Caedus declined due to time concerns.

Caedus' pov shouldn't be taken as objectively true-he's convinced himself utterly he's in the right. The fact he mourns his sister just serve to reinforce the circle of self righteous denial of doubt. (which it one thing I find interesting in LOTF-jacen's mindset seems to be, "I'm doubting, I'm hurting, therefore I haven't lost my way")

He's definitely concerned, you could say that's the true POD. Caedus catching on Luke was playing mental chess with him.

In Invincible Ben apparently escapes with great ease, I found that stupid, that aside-I think Caedus would want to be there, and not leave the interrogation to someone as unreliable and "soft" as Tahiri.

Its' Leia's POV. But yeah she's embraced a utilitarianism totally here.

Han is angry and grieving, he needs someone to focus his emotion on.

Luke won't go after him just yet, both due to fear of the "taint", he may wait, or he may send another strike team of masters. Luke for fear of falling absolutely wants to forestall a direct confrontation with Caedus, as long as possible.

Anedon likes this.
  7. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I agree with Anedon, this is a painful reminder of what battles cost us in terms of casualties. Wounded far outnumber the KIA.

I do not think Han is wrong. Luke approved Anakin's suicide mission to Myrkr, and told Jaina that she had to be the one to kill her brother.

One stylistic note: it makes it easier to read if you make each character's 'conversation' a new line.

Thanks for writing!

Anedon likes this.