main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What happened to Ancanar?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Nub, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Sorry if this has popped up before, but I don't dare post such a question on the Sydney FC football forums I usually hang around on daily (not that anyone there would know).

Does anyone remember the Tolkien-inspired low-budget film called 'Ancanar' being made back in about 2002 that got loads of attention at the height of LOTR mania? It had a couple of trailers online, some web docos, a complete scene available online, then it disappeared. Some of the online content is still around, but the film itself seemed to have died. From a couple of vague mentions on random forums, it sounds like it was abandoned, but from what was released, a lot of work clearly went into it.

What happened? The Facebook group reads like an automated response to deflect any real questions.

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Never heard of it.

Probably got a cease and desist. You don't want to mess with Tolkien rights.

3. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    What are you talking about?

4. Sven_Starcrown

Sven_Starcrown Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 10, 2009
    Give a link. Imdb if you can.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's not on IMDB, but here's a couple of links:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Ancanar
    http://www.lordotrings.com/movies/ancanar.asp

This is what remains of the official site:

http://www.ancanar.com/armoury/

All the links at the left are effectively dead. It was basically a Tolkien-inspired low-budget fantasy film that was not directly adapted from any Tolkien works. It started production around 1999, & a trailer was released online in 2002 - due to LOTR mania their server crashed, & it received much wider attention than a normal fan-type film would have. Over the next year or two the website would be updated regularly - some web docos, a full scene & a new trailer came out, then it just seemed to disappear.
    Last I heard was that they had suspended it because more money had been poured in & they wanted to make it a bit more upmarket & re-shoot some of it, but that would have been about 5 years ago.

I was just curious as to what happened. From the trailers, it looked a bit student-film, & some of the acting was a bit naff, but I was interested to see how a fantasy film shot low-budget on DV might have turned out if it was being taken seriously. It certainly looked like it was made by fans who had actually read the Silmarillion & wanted to capture that mood, as opposed to a mob who saw Fellowship of the Ring & tried to make some crappy Dungeons & Dragons type thing.

6. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    I remember this! Every so often I'd think of this movie again and try to find the site but I could never remember the name correctly. Hmm. I do remember the site originally mentioning Tolkien before; I think the director had wanted it to be set in Middle Earth, but with original characters. Hopefully they'll start on the film again. It did look interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.