main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What happens post Rise of Skywalker?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedibloom, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I bet a reboot would be the most divisive thing that ever happened to SW.

2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I don't need a reboot. That would be dumb. I just want a sweep-boot. Just let all the new creators to sweep it under the rug like it never happened, or never directly reference it if it gets in the way of the story they want to tell.

It's a big galaxy out there.

2Cleva and ChildOfWinds like this.
  3. Trepis

Trepis Jedi Padawan

Aug 26, 2019
    I always thought there was two interesting story possibilities as a result of the ST that could be explored, this is based strictly on the movie content , I haven't read any of the expanded material ; I appreciate that my interpretation of the universe as presented on screen might be contradicted by the new EU , but I think Star Wars has proven time and again when they want to make a new movie they wont restrict themselves to details in books.

1) Spontaneous force abilities ; As long as it was only Rey there was the possibility that she was unique in some way but as soon as we met Broom Boy we knew force users were developing abilities spontaneously. This was the biggest change and I think it allows for some really exciting stories; this would be a great way to explore new force traditions outside of the Jedi and Sith; I think it would also be a great opportunity to take Finn from a Rey support character and give him his own identity ; Rey could be the traditional Jedi Order while others traditions rose to prominence. Heck, you could even have a future where the Jedi aren't the dominate force users

2) The Lando Maneuver or Why-Bother-With-A-Republic ; I see many assumptions that a new new republic would be inevitable but to me the opposite is true. The New Republic as presented on screen failed completely ; After TFA I assumed the 5 planets we saw destroyed was the entire New Republic, after all if you blew up Moscow you wouldn't deal a crippling blow the Russian Military , but if you blew up Russia you would. Either way , once that attack occurred the new republic was done on screen. I felt the lines at the end of TLJ about how everyone heard the message but weren't coming to help was explict in telling us the galaxy did not support the resistance of the republic.
    In light of the recent failure of the Republic , What would motivate independent planets to think this was a good idea ? One of the primary motivations is usually mutual defense but the utter worthlessness of the Republic military combined with the incredible power of the Lando Maneuver shows that the galaxy can crush a massive enemy with absolutely no planning or coordination on 30minuts notice. That scene made me laugh :) its like if the US told its allies on the morning of June 6th 'FYI, we are landing at the beaches of Normandy, hope to see there ! ' AND IT WORKED rofl.
    That all being said, this creates a wonderful opportunity to imagine a galaxy without a central government; you could take any planet in a new direction, related to my first idea, you could see planets that develop their own force related theocracies. Canto Blight was an interesting slice of the galaxy, I'd love to see more.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "He can see things before they happen, it's a Jedi trait." Spontaneous Force abilities clearly go back to TPM. I'd make the case that it goes back even to the OT: "I'm sure Luke wasn't on that thing when it blew." "He wasn't. I can feel it."

K2771991, darthfettus2015 and Trepis like this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I feel like when ever we go forwards we will always have ties and reffrences to the past. PT, OT and ST movies.

K2771991 and darthfettus2015 like this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    If I had my way, I would really hope they completely leave behind any talk about Snoke, Palpatine, the First Order, even the Skywalkers perhaps. Start fresh-perhaps a decade later-with Rey and Finn, both as Jedi. Maybe other returning characters as well. Rey would've been training Finn and by this time he's just as skilled as any other Jedi after 10 years of training. Perhaps the two of them are even in love (I've always hoped for this), although that's not as important to me now-but I would still love it if they were. Together, they picked up where Luke left off in building a new Jedi order-and currently they are training a small population (perhaps 100 or so) new Jedi students. The galaxy would be in a state of fragmentation; not necessarily disarray, but many systems currently at odds with each other about how best to move forward and create a peaceful new republic, as things (presumably) were centuries before the events of the Clone Wars.

THEN

We are introduced to some sort of evil force, or army or beings or something originating from another galaxy. Ultimately they plunder the main characters' galaxy bit by bit until their actions force the bickering systems to more or less set aside their "petty differences" and band together to fight for their very exsistence in a massive conflict against these extragalactic enemies, a war even more widespread and tragic than the Clone Wars.

Perhaps something on this epic of a scale would best be portrayed over the course of a trilogy. If they did this kind of storyline, I would be a happy fan.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    K2771991 and Trepis like this.
  7. Trepis

Trepis Jedi Padawan

Aug 26, 2019
    Great points; I guess I saw those as subconscious uses rather then broom boy force pulling the broom.
    With regards to Anakin in TPM ; Initially the Jedi refused to train him because of him being to old. They didn't seem concerned he would go off and learn to use the force on his own, even though he has every reason to think he can. I always interpreted that to mean without training it was not possible to achieve meaningful control of the force. Even for the most powerful force user ever discovered in Yoda (800 years ) time. totally recognize that this is my own read of the scene but I think it fits what we saw.

K2771991 likes this.
  8. Trepis

Trepis Jedi Padawan

Aug 26, 2019
    I really like this idea for a new type of Jedi ; its different as it runs counter to the no attachments rule , so this could help set the new Jedi apart from the past. Rey has had a closer brush with the dark side then most Jedi that we have seen on screen , she has used the dark side and came back. That could give her some unique insight into how to incorporate attachment without succumbing to the dark side

K2771991, DARTH_BELO and Sarge like this.
  9. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    After TROS, the New Republic/citizens army drove the FO back to the Unknown Regions where it was eventually quashed, a bit like the final months of the 3rd Reich. There could be some great stories there! Rey eventually went on the start a new Jedi Order which kept the peace forever, the threat of the Sith having been vanquished forever on Exegol.

K2771991 likes this.
  10. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    From wookieepedia

A lightsaber duel,[1] also known as a lightsaber clash,[2] occurred when two or more combatants, at least one of whom was armed with a lightsaber, engaged in lightsaber combat.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Lightsaber_duel

So according to the vernculer of the universe you don't need it to be a one-on-one fight (sorry @sarge:p, but for what it's worth the phrasing annoys me too) and you only need ONE person to be equipped with a saber.

You say that, but I've played so many hours of KOTOR and the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games were I keep forgetting sabers are a thing as I gun people down with my blasters that I can't say I agree:p
    [​IMG]

Eh, Star Trek survived it. As long as they keep the original universe intact I don't see it being an issue outside of a few hardcore purists.

[​IMG]

11. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    To what end? The only benefit of a reboot would be to drag Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher back for another go around just to satisfy those who didn’t like what the Sequel Trilogy did with their respective characters. Seeing as how Ford almost certainly wouldn’t and Fisher is dead, a reboot is pretty pointless. Time to let those characters go and establish new ones. They have managed well enough with The Mandalorian, even if there was the obligatory Luke callback at the end.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    ^They can get new actors to play the OT 3. I'd be fine with that if they got decent actors and it meant erasing the ST and getting better portrayals for these characters, and just a better continuation/ end to the Skywalker Saga overall. Not like it doesn't have a big draw and benefit for Disney; they get to make more money off of OT characters and nostalgia while also attempting to appease the people who were disappointed in the ST. And they can even use established SW lore as an excuse to do it.

They already made money off of the OT actors with the ST. If OT nostalgia factor still goes strong, which I'm guessing it will, why not just do what they did to the Legends canon and start over? No reason they couldn't really.

Like I said though, probably wishful thinking on my part. But I definitely wouldn't put it past Disney.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    If in 6 or 7 years - and all the new slate of SW projects have fallen flat - I wouldn't doubt that the LFL would try to do another Saga trilogy. They will never redo the ST, but another trilogy wouldn't surprise me.

Best they could do is do what they always should have done with the ST. Move the story actually forward and not just copy the OT. All they would really need is Hamill to show up as a Force Ghost, and have the story take place a couple of hundred years down the line. Rey passed on the books to someone else, and they passed on the books to another, and another, and another. Until finally they're passed on to someone with the Force, and they show up on Ahch-to and Luke trains them, and they create a New Order. Etc etc.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  14. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    The real question is if F&F take what they are working on and incorporate it with the ST results or not. I doubt their SW projects fail - too much experience and success in the SW and blockbuster making world.

15. Justin Lee McFarland

Justin Lee McFarland Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2021
    I would like to see Rey take up Luke's mantle and train a new generation of Jedi. I feel like that is one area of the Star Wars universe that was totally ignored in the new era. Hopefully we'll eventually get Episodes 10-12 to fill in that glaring gulf in the stories.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think dinsey plus show with rey and the ST cast, wether live action of animation, it will happen.

17. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    That would be just as bad really. If you are going to recast Han, Luke and Leia to that extent, you may as well just create new characters and move on. That is where Disney / Lucasfilm's success longevity will be, i.e. being able to forge their own iconic characters instead of relying on those three from the Original Trilogy.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  18. Starith

Apr 5, 2020
    ^I don't get how ''recasting characters'' equates to ''might as well make new characters'' -- it's just different actors playing the roles -- but no, I disagree. There can be a mix of both old and new stuff. I think Disney knows that very well.

19. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Because the effect will still be as jarring as for those who claim that the characterizations in the sequel trilogy portrayed by the original actors wasn't up to scratch. They came as a whole package and unfortunately, I think that the opportunity has come and gone. It's time to move forward from the sequel trilogy and do something else.

What happens if a remade trilogy fails to satisfy those who like this sequel trilogy? Should those fans demand that Disney keep remaking it until everybody is happy?

20. Starith

Apr 5, 2020
    Why assume it would be just as jarring? Different actors and different characterizations are very, very different things.

I don't think the opportunity has come and gone, or only new stuff should be made. I'm not saying "Do it until you get it right" so much as "They can do it, they've done it before, so why not". I mean there's like 20 SW projects in the works; not like Disney's being super picky and keeping it sacred here. And, again, I think there's plenty of room for both old and new.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think recasts works fine, just get someon who resembles both of them.

22. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    To what end though? Why would you remake the sequels? They are what they are, and there are people who do like them.

23. Starith

Apr 5, 2020
    ^No offense, but you already asked that and I already answered. I don't really want to keep repeating myself. If you disagree, you disagree.

24. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Oh sorry, you did indeed. Yeah, it isn't going to happen. The sequel trilogy may be ignored or forgotten about, maybe even retconned in parts, but it isn't going to be remade anytime soon I would say.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  25. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I sure hope Luke told Rey about the seeing stones. She’ll return to Tatooine to retrieve the lightsabers after identifying a couple of Jedi recruits. That moment will mark the beginning of the New Jedi Academy. A sympathetic New Republic government will give her the support she needs (repairs to the temple, library and other sites). In essence, Rey’s entire life will be devoted to training legions of Jedi.

I hope Gorgu is alive to assist!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    whostheBossk likes this.