main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What havn't you read yet and why?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Nov 5, 2022.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Ok, this is not about stuff we will start soon anyway but rather what have you not yet read and postponed for longer and why? Unable to get it? No time?

This topic is intended to comfort whoever is behind in his/her reading and to encourage each other why one should start this or that sooner rather than later. For most there is some obscure, hard to get or older stuff that they have not yet read I bet. Not everyone is a completist, some only read characters they favor and ignore other works. You are welcome to tell about that as well and how your reading experience lacking other works is different from a completists that struggles to read it all asap or over time.

For me, my kids (14years, 8 years and almost 1 year) take quite some time away recently but I try to keep up and am behind with merely "Stories of Jedi and Sith", "Padawan" unread and currently in the middle of "Path of Deceit" with "Quest for the Hidden City" already arrived yesterday and waiting to be started. So I can say I am quite up to date almost and caught up recently.
    But there is some from Legends I have yet to deepdive into. Owning it all as a completist (or trying to) is one thing, reading it all another. I was lucky to start early and catch most as it first released over the years. But still some WEG pieces (not many though as I got almost all now and read most) or even the Missions books are waiting on my shelf to be read. But there is a lot needing a reread and deepdive that I only rushed through back then.

Oh and this topic is not just about novels, comics but also short stories, magazine articles, sourcebooks, rpg, guidebooks, etc. anything counts really. Even games, of which I still lack some too due to not being much of a gamer ever since I had kids but at least watching the entire game as a vid if availeable, or playing them slower than most would if gaming systems allow (which they usually don't).

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Difficulty settings are your friend Cole for games. Especially now - accessibility has had a massive boost in recent years.

3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Oh difficulty is not the issue, it's more that one can not own all systems needed to play them all. I prefer them on a computer over any gaming system, and even if I have some of those by now, time is more an issue than difficulty.

Also most modern games are no fun to me. Graphics and screenshoting for lore more so than any good story or gaming experience. My standards are too high ever since Tie-Fighter and the Katarn games I guess! Not even Episode 1 Racer or the PT era Battlefronts came close to them and those were good, too. But modern Battlefront? Graphics yay, fun nay.

And when they introduced a game that at least had great original character art (Force Arena), it was only a cellphone game and already defunct and discarded again now, unplayable ever after. Fallen Order looked interesting and was great story and lore-wise, but felt a bit like running in circles even though it gets bonus points for realism instead of rushed levels.

Ok there ever was only one game that I despaired over... The Episode 1 TPM game... that cursed Gungan jumping columns that descend as soon as you are on them killed me! Every time!

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    PC is probably one of the safest options.

Fallen Order got a lot right, but desperately needed both fast travel and a better map.

5. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    I haven't read the entirety of the original Clone Wars 2003 comics; my only issues that have been read are the ones that feature Durge or Grievous.

6. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Haven't read most of the EU's output between 1997 and 2014 , with a handful of exceptions - Darth Plagueis, the Revan novel, and I've circled back and read a few of the Dark Horse comic series I missed. I did play some of the video games from that era, including KOTOR, N64 Rogue Squadron, and the "original" Battlefront II.

On the canon side, I'm currently reading Path of Deceit, and don't have Quest for the Hidden City yet. I believe there's a short story in the current Star Wars Insider I still need to read. Otherwise I'm pretty well caught up on that front, as far as I'm aware.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I still haven't read the Jedi Prince series despite owning all six books, idk how they can ever live up to my expectations.

Reepicheep775 likes this.
  8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Trying to get my hands on anything first and second hand is one issue. Time is another as I'm half-way through another book from a different series atm. Also, in between houses so most of it has been packed away into storage.

9. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I've read almost everything from Legends, including most WEG RPG supplements and some WotC ones, but I only got about halfway through LotF and still haven't read FotJ. I'll definitely close that gap at some point (I've read Millennium Falcon, Mercy Kill and Crucible, so I'm not a complete stranger to the era), but it's not a priority right now, because I'm writing a rather involved fanfic set around 7ABY and so I'm rereading all Legends material relevant to that time period.

I stopped reading Canon fiction entirely after the Aftermath trilogy, not because I didn't like it but again because I felt like it would be more fun to dive back into Legends now that it was complete and write some stories I always wanted to write but didn't dare to while the Legends universe was still evolving. Once I am done, I absolutely plan to read my way through the entire Canon timeline, books and comics and everything. I'm looking forward to this, because I just love diving into narrative universes that already have lots and lots of material to dig through, instead of waiting for the next bit to come out all the time.

Trust me, they will. I had heard so much about this series before I ever got my hands on the books, and they were still, um... beyond anything I could have imagined [face_skull]

Xammer likes this.
  10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    For me, between work and college, time is always an issue. Luckily I've found audiobooks to be a great antidote. There are even YouTube channels that provide fan audiobooks for books that never got a proper audio release. I'm probably a bit younger than the average user of this site, so I haven't read the majority of EU literature yet, unfortunately. I definitely want to read most of it eventually, since Star Wars is one of my few true passions in life. I'm finally getting around to finishing the Jedi Academy trilogy, which has been a lot of fun.

Nom von Anor, Xammer and Golbolco like this.
  11. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I haven't read Fallen Star, Volume 3 of the High Republic comics, Trail of Shadows, Midnight Horizon, the two new High Republic books, and Padawan, along with most of the 2020 run of comics, and Lesser Evil. I haven't been able to collect the comics for a while, and I'm waiting on getting the rest of Wave 3 of Phase 1 before I read Fallen Star. I'm currently reading Princess and the Scoundrel. I just haven't had enough to time read as I used to.

12. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    There are a few books from the old EU that I've always been surprised I never read. Namely A.C. Crispin's The Han Solo Trilogy, especially because I had the SFBC hardcover omnibus, that my brother originally ordered and then gave to me when he fell out of the EU.

Ditto Tatooine Ghost --- I bought the paperback but only read A Forest Apart.

Tales from the Empire and Tales from the New Republic I'm not quite as surprised about. I knew they existed, but they were always off my radar for some reason. Never bought them. Kind of a shame that I never read Simple Tricks, given its stellar reputation.

Also kinda Emissary of the Void, which was originally very hard to find but eventually not so much (these days you really just need... well, Google). It's probably the one old EU story that I still tell myself I'll read some day. Maybe Crisis of Faith, too.

Golbolco and Nom von Anor like this.
  13. Pius Dea Crusader

Pius Dea Crusader Jedi Master

Nov 26, 2013
    I still haven't read any of the rpg guides because they never arrived to my country, so I only learned of their existence thanks to Wookiepedia, when I was much older. Now, I could start ordering them online, and I would really like to, but making my way through the books and comics is enough for my budget for a while.

Because of this, the rpg stuff feels like this huge and mysterious background behind all the stories in all the other formats, full of strange seeds for stories that really activate my imagination.

Also I find incredible the influence that the rpg guides have had for the overall narrative. Just recently I read that the Inquisitorius was first mentioned in 1994, and was blown away.

Nom von Anor and Sinrebirth like this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I've not read the latest High Republic YA novel... and that's it?

chuckles

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    High Republic: Path of Deceit. Amazon UK didn't have it til the beginning of Nov and it's now in my current book order.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Haven't read DNT or FOTJ. At first it was just due to a lack of interest...now I'm kinda curious to see what went down, but I still have to find the books themselves as well as the time to read them. And to that list I think I'll add the JAT, Corellian trilogy, Han Solo Adventures, and Han Solo trilogy. So yeah, plenty of Legends stuff to keep me going for a while.

I've been meaning to read the Darth Bane trilogy for a while now, but again, haven't found the time. I did get around to reading the Medstar duology and Outbound Flight after having those on my backlog for a loooonnnggg time...so maybe there's hope yet.

Video games...haven't played Empire at War, or the first three X-wing games. I bought this big discounted Star Wars pack on Steam a while ago, so there's a bunch of stuff there I might get around to eventually.

Haven't watched the Mandalorian yet, or Book of Boba Fett...though I'll get right on those once I'm through with Tales of the Jedi. Haven't seen Resistance, or Bad Batch yet. I also see that the old Droids and Ewoks cartoons are conveniently on Disney+, so I'll add those to the backlog.

17. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I haven't read very much of anything EU past the NJO. I started the DNT and didn't really get into it. Skipped ahead to LotF and couldn't really get into that either. Ultimately I just decided I wasn't a fan of how things were going and end my own Legends head canon at NJO.

Same, really, with anything that takes place earlier but came out after. A lot of that stuff started feeling like they were just finding holes to plug in order to sell a book rather than telling a story that needed to be told. I'm sure there's good stuff in there; I just didn't (and don't) have the inclination to go through it all. I would like sometime, though, to revisit a lot of my old favorites.

New stuff, I wasn't a huge fan of how phase I of the High Republic turned out, so I think I'm check out for the future phases. I'm disappointed as I was really excited for it and really enjoyed the first couple of books, but its just not my jam. And in general I think I have to be more selective of which books I read. I was getting burnt out trying to "keep up" with everything including the shows and all and I just don't have the time for it.