main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What I do is not up to you." - Wonder Woman 1984

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    WW: Yes, Cheetah's a Good Guy Now and Still Has Her Cheetah Powers For Some Reason Look Just Go With It

Master_Lok and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    WW: Rogue Squadron

Diana: Are you a pilot?
    Rogue 2: Why yes, yes I am.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    WW: Diana Palpatine (or Somehow Steve Returned)

Ghost likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So I heard they actually confirmed Steve Trevor will be back in the third film too?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Patty Jenkins had a podcast interview where she stated something about not wanting to see Diana chopping off heads when she came on about the script in development and Zack Synder just released some Wonder Woman art that was temp in BvS until Jenkins came on (I'm assuming that is when it changed to the WWI photo cuz everyone had just been cast).

[​IMG]

Jeebus Christ! That Snyder cut is going to be crazy, hahah, he'll probably work this in somehow (even though it clearly contradicts Wonder Woman).

Imagine how different a tone Wonder Woman the movie would have had if it was about Bruce returning this nostalgia beheaded warriors photo to Diana and the whole movie is a fuzzy flashback of her reminiscing about those times.

Y'know as problematic as Wonder Woman 1984 is with Not Steve's Body, it could have been, y'know, this. So let's just all thank Rao that it wasn't.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Hell I thank Rao every time a DC movie not directed by Zack Snyder gets made regardless of whether or not it's any good.

Yodaminch and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Remember that brief time when you were 15, and thought it would be really cool if all your favorite superheroes were fist-clenching, gritted-teeth, borderline-psychotic authoritarians? But then you turned 16, and realized that this conceit was not only misguided but irretrievably stupid, and thus found yourself one step closer to reaching emotional maturity?

Well...Zach Snyder never made it to 16.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I guess I skipped age 15, then :p

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, there's a vast difference between "Hey, Rorshach is the best character in this story" and "Hey, Rorshach is the coolest character in this story" -- Snyder loves his Objectivism...

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    To be fair that mindset does make him an excellent fit for the broader DC editorial policy for the last... oh, decade.

Master_Lok and dp4m like this.
  11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    GHOSTBURN
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    Absolutely. I remember sitting through Watchmen a decade ago, getting a third of the way through, and thinking, "Oh wait, this idiot actually idolizes Rorschach."

Which is kinda like claiming that the Ahab of Moby Dick is an "intrepid adventurer"...

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I don’t think politics is necessarily the problem, Steve Ditko knew you weren’t supposed to agree with Rorschach and he was literally the creator of the character(s) Rorschach was based on. And a good director could sympathize with Rorschach and still make a compelling film, in theory.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, the whole point was he was based on... The Question (? -- no pun intended)... who was explicitly an Objectivist superhero and all of the terrible terrible things that implied.

15. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    The difference is that Alan Moore looked upon Rorschach with both a critical eye and, just as importantly, pity, whereas Snyder held him up to be some sort of righteous martyr. And it's one of the many misinterpretations/miscalculations that marred his literalist adaptation.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    By Alan Moore’s own admission Rorschach is kind of a blend of The Question and Mr. A (Mr. A is basically The Question but because he’s strictly in self-published independent material he’s even more extreme in his espousal of objectivist viewpoints - literal half black half white calling cards because there’s no grey area, leaving people to die because they were bad once or whatever, the works). Allegedly - because this is second-hand owing to Steve Ditko being a notorious recluse - Ditko thought he was “Mr. A, only insane.”

darthcaedus1138, BigAl6ft6 and dp4m like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Watchmen TV show basically spit Rorschach's legacy in two characters as both hero and villain, the Seventh Kavalry is the bad guy, Looking Glass/Mirrorball as the good guy. But like Rorschach, he has a bunch of past trauma.

Watchmen was actually on TV last night, bit that is actually funnier in the movie is "excuse me, have to use the rest room." Very subtle in the comic as he calmly walks away but it the movie he smacks the door open which is freaking hilarious. Jackie Earl Haley is absolute gold in the role.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Rented Wonder Woman 1984 again, this time from Google Play movies. For some reason Amazon charged me an extra 3.50 in tax when Google Youtube didn't. (aside, much easier to rent on Google movies which defaults to UHD, my first attempt at rental was Amazon and on my phone it defaulted to SD which looked terrible so I had to call Amazon Video Help at like 2 AM Boxing Day but they got me sorted out. Still props to Google for not defaulting to the crappy quality version when ordering on my phone like Amazon did, which is infuriating since they're all the exact same price) But at two rentals for 30 bucks a pop at 60 dollars total I'm probably up there with viewers who spent the most on it :p Unless someone saw it theatrically and bought like 5 tickets.

Still like the movie, it is an ambitious mess, which isn't bad. Probably the biggest problem is sequel bloat,which tends to happen on 2nd installments in franchises.

Also I was thinking I guess this is now DCEU canon

"Hey, Pa Kent, remember when we wished and then took it back?"

Of course, the Kents are too goodly to actually wish for something greedily. And they probably didn't have TV reception in 1984 on the Kent farm. I wonder what Thomas and Martha Wayne's wishes were. Or Lionel Luthor! Amanda Waller! Slipknot! (We he probably wished to not have his head blown up)

It's supposed to hit UK rental in about a week, probably should have been sooner considering the UK lockdown but the ink was already dried on the contracts to wait for that date.

EDIT: so Diana's

wish did it have two bad consequences? Her losing her powers and Steve taking over the Handsome Gentleman's body? I mean I think Handsome Gentleman being sock puppeted by Steve seems to be bad but Diana didn't get the point, she said she wanted something for herself, so losing her powers were what kicked her into renouncing her wish. I guess.

Anyway on 2nd viewing I can see the moment when Diana clearly wishes for Steve even if she doesn't verbalize it but there's wind and everything when she's holding it. And also on 2nd viewing the first wish in the movie is actually pretty funny. "I wish I had a coffee" *guy gets coffee takes a sip, overheard in the background* "Ow! Hot!"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Yodaminch and heels1785 like this.
  19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Isn’t Rorschach just a poor mans Batman?

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That’s more Nite Owl just by virtue of being based on the second Blue Beetle, who was already basically Batman with the serial numbers filed off.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and Darth Punk like this.
  21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Isn’t Nite Owl just another 1%er who likes to dress up and hurt the mentality ill?

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I mean they literally depict him admitting that he has to beat people up while dressed like a horned owl to get his rocks off, so...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "I wish to save the children from the impending nuclear holocaust. Unless that makes things worse for somebody else, in which case let them die."

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "Oh Jonathan, I wish everyone would remember my first name is Martha and not 'Ma Kent!'"

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Monkey paws!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.