main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What I do is not up to you." - Wonder Woman 1984

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Finally got to see it! In a movie theater. There were two people altogether & one was me. Really enjoyed it. I work in DC & we had a few months with the film trailers parked outside our offices. We kept looking out the window, but never caught a glimpse of anyone. Loved all the locations, and can't believe they got to film on the Metro! I don't think anyone's ever been allowed to film there? Also, I used to live next to the shopping mall where they did the filming. Man, did they dress up that set; it was practically abandoned when I moved in the 2000s. My only quibble: they repainted it with that yellow stripe color scheme. The original color scheme was the VERY 80s teal and burgundy. The only other more 80s colorscheme they could have gone with was seafoam green and peach (see: any Golden Girls episode).

Um, I thought it was pretty spot on. Members Only jackets, sleeves of the suitcoats pushed up, ponytails worn on the side, big hair, legwarmers, and yes, the fanny packs... my only quibble was that the ladies' shoulder pads could have been bigger. You don't remember fanny packs? I had one; so much better than a purse. Or women walking to work in business suits with sneakers and ankle socks? I remember this. Graduated HS & college in the 80s. The heels were wrong, though, those super-high spiky heels weren't the thing at all.

Thought I saw a quick photo of her with Etta & the Chief liberating a bunch of holocaust survivors? In a frame on a table, towards the beginning, when she's wandering around her apartment. It occurs to me that her career in the museum could have started through her work with the Monuments Men or the OSS. Could be something where she kept her participation on the down-low, and it was classified, so most people don't know about it.

And I did indulge in a fangirl squeal for the midcredits easter egg. Lynda! Loved seeing her. Almost made up for her not showing up as Hippolyta in the first one.

Barbara Minerva was an interesting character, and seems to have lost her powers when Max renounced his wish. But she never renounced her wish. Does that mean she gets to keep some of the power, even though she isn't an actual Cheetah anymore?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i remember fanny packs, but they were a 90s thing.

3. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I had one in college, so late 80s. I miss them. Wonder if they still make them? Since women's clothes don't have pockets [face_frustrated], it was a great way to carry crap & still have my hands free.

4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    They were definitely around in the 80’s, and this is how I know...

I’m British, and we call them bumbags. Fanny means lady front bottom here, so you can imagine the hilarity in finding out what they called them in America when you’re 12-years-old.

To be fair, Fanny Pack is still pretty funny.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yes, they still do make fanny packs but they're rebranded/marketed as "belt bags." My wife and I had a spirited discussions on whether or not these so called belt bags as truly different from fanny packs.

[​IMG]

Master_Lok and Mistress_Renata like this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    This is all kinds of shade. I haven’t seen it, but I’d be happy with Lynda Carter doing more.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ehehe. Fanny pack.

9. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I like the Fendi one, it has a neat logo, I don’t really know what I’m talking about, which one do you like?

10. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    80’s were Fila or GTFO

11. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I have no idea what Fila is

12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Fila were the height of British “Casuals” fashion in the 80’s
    [​IMG]

starfish likes this.
  13. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    ok, like a football jumpsuit

and I do mean, your football

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Darth Punk likes this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Me too! I was somewhat disappointed she did not make a cameo appearance in the first Wonder Woman film due to scheduling problems (according to Lynda Carter IIRC). A friend of mine was hoping that Lynda Carter would have been cast as Diana's mom. There's a couple of different ways of Lynda Carter having more to do with DC films, which may include the upcoming multiverse.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

EDIT: I definitely LOL'd a couple times.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Sarge, Mistress_Renata and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I haven't seen this movie yet, but I reeeeally like this clip lol

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Also. Eighties movie. Michael Jackson reference?

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I just saw it, and had the same reaction to Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull: it wasn't THAT bad. But it wasn't that good either. Which is pretty disappointing compared to the first one, which I love. My wish is that they had made WW44, set during World War II and digging deeper into the themes they touched on in the first one. 1984 was kind of a ridiculous time period; it was the year I graduated high school so I remember it clearly, and IMO there's no compelling reason to set this film in that era. I think they could have done a lot more in a WWII setting.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I mean, I liked the movie a lot more than most of the people (ALL of the people?) I've read reviews by and even I think it's absolutely absurd to even consider it for Best Picture. Shouldn't even come up in the conversation. I think there was a case to made for the first one, but not this one.

Was it just me or did they make a MUCH bigger deal about Steve's love of flying in this movie? I mean, he was a pilot in the first one, but I didn't really feel like he had a great passion for it or anything. I would have said he was a spy first and a pilot second, but, man, they leaned into his love of flying in this one. I may not be remembering correctly; it's been a couple years since I last watched the first one. I did love the invisible jet.

Mistress_Renata, Sarge and Master_Lok like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Rogue1-and-a-half , yeah, I had the same impression of Steve, in the first film he seemed like a spy who happened to know how to fly aeroplanes. I don't recall anything that really contradicted him loving to fly so much, but I don't think it was held up as a defining character trait like it was in 84.

As for the aviation scenes in 84, well, it's a comic book movie, I didn't expect a lot of realism, and I didn't get much.

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's not that bad, but having seen it also recently, Crystal Skull is better.

22. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    They did, but I was willing to forgive it, because there was such a HUUUUGE jump in aviation between WW1 and 1984. I mean, WW1 was the first war which involved airplanes, so those biplanes were cutting edge. And then Steve goes to the Air & Space Museum, and discovers that we've been to the Moon... the jump in tech and the possibilities must have blown him away (I loved Chris Pine's giggle as he was walking down the steps).

Sarge likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Steve's reaction to seeing a B-52 up close was priceless. Even I react like that to the BUFF; it's just an awe-inspiring airplane.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Hmm, I think I disagree. I don't think there's a scene as good as the fireworks scene or the opening sequence from WW84 in Crystal Skull. Crystal Skull is maybe more consistent start to finish without having any really awful scenes (yes, I'm an actual defender of the fridge-nuking), but it never gets anywhere near the highs of WW84 in my opinion. I mean, I'm not sure I'd say there are awful scenes in WW84 either; more filler than Crystal Skull, but not terrible. Okay, the clothes montage. That scene is terrible. There's probably nothing in Crystal Skull that bad. But that's just a couple of minutes.

Sarge and heels1785 like this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I at least get the clothing montage -- it's a reverse of the first film "fish out of water" (which is also a standard "woman trying on clothes" montage sequence), which I see them putting "make Chris Pine try on a bunch of clothes!" at the top of the sequel list... it definitely could be cut for time though.