main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What I do is not up to you." - Wonder Woman 1984

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    This movie is so bad..... and Im so bummed because Im a huge fan of the first one. My expectations were sky high. And then, this happened. OMG. It doesnt exist for me. Im praying that the 3rd entry gets back on track and then Ill watch the first one and the 3rd one while completely skipping this entry. I cant find anything good about it. Sorry to say. :(

Rylo Ken likes this.
  2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Lynda Carter. Loved seeing her.

Yodaminch and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The first one was already overrated: a truly mediocre film with carboard characters, poorly written dialogue, a stupid plot and the most boring villain in the last 2 decades of big budget comic book superhero movies, with the whole project draped in emperor's new clothes style feminism in a wildly successful con job to make it critic-proof.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    BlueYogurt likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    have you seen thor 2
    or antman 2
    or iron man 2

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm not sure which one is Thor 2, is that the one with Jeff Golblum? Agree it's pretty terrible, but I definitely didn't see Antman 2. Wonder Woman and Iron Man 2 is a fair comparison. Two movies that don't distinguish themselves in any way from anything else in the genre that also doesn't stand out. An unseasoned superhero porridge with nothing on the side.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    heels1785 likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    no that's thor 3. its not great, but its about 900 times better than thor 2, mainly bc of jeff goldblum and rocks guy.

Yodaminch and Rylo Ken like this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Meltstick? But those aren't meltstick worthy posts.

Yodaminch and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Can someone get Patty Jenkins to explain to Zack Snyder how to do an action scene.

10. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I disagree - yes, David Thewlis and the final battle scene felt out of place. Otherwise, the movie is pretty well done. Great action scenes: Filmed right, not too long or hectic like you get in the MCU where every final battle is a ball-numbing 30 minutes of stuff flying around the screen. Gadot and Pine work beautifully together. Its a great origin film, IMO.

PymParticles and Sarge like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While I'm far more positive about it (Gal is still fully engaging in the role [though the fast-running/gliding execution looks strange in a few scenes], the story has merit [even if it is executed with mixed results], Pedro's performance is fun [if over the top] and Barbara has both great scenes and a pretty interesting arc [if sidelined for the rest of the film]), at first impression- and having just watched the Snyder Cut of JL, I'm in the same boat of hoping that whatever WW3 ends up being, we'll be able to skip over 84 in the grand scheme of things and let WW1 & WW3 lead into BVS & JL (unless WW3 ends up being a post-JL story, of course).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guillermo Alejandro Grispo choreographed the fights scenes in Wonder Woman and Snyder's DC films.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The truck chase in WW84 was almost as good as anything in the first Wonder Woman (but the no man's land scene is still like one of the best DCEU action scenes ever) I like the opening Mall scene brawl because it as a very wry funny campy tone to it. The Cheeta/Wonder Woman finale battle was a bit of a letdown, I liked the Aries fight in WW84 that everyone rags on better.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  14. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    And did he choreograph the CGI ?

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Guillermo Alejandro Grispo did not choreograph the CGI. One of the biggest complaints of the 2017 Wonder Woman film was the CGI in the final battle of the film.

[​IMG]

The CGI in Wonder Woman 1984 doesn't look like an improvement.

[​IMG]

At least Wonder Woman didn't have to fight a smoke cloud monster at the end of the film of Wonder Woman 1984, but the wind broke by Maxwell Lord knocked her down. No fight choreography needed for the climatic ending of Wonder Woman 1984.

[​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  16. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    My point is that a lot of people are involved in an action scene but ultimately it's orchestrated by the director , and I much prefer Patty Jenkins results . Snyder overdoes everything, too much slow-mo , and the CG dynamics just look phony .
    For me the Mall fight, Whitehouse fight and the truck chase in WW84 are all way better than any of the action in JL.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The slo-mo is just Snyder's style, though. 300 used it much more, as did Sin City- but in both cases they were trying to capture or evoke a still panel from the actual comics they were adapting.

JL probably had the same aim, but JL at least has an actual narrative excuse in that 70% of the slo-mo is needed for scenes involving The Flash, while another 20% was needed for Wonder Woman's "bullet time" deflections and super-speed (something even Patty needed to use a few times). It's really just that last 10% where it's done for either cool flair for the heck of it or emotional moments.

When taken together (and across 4+ hours of film), it can come across as overdone- but, when half of your main cast (and an ok portion of bit-players) are capable of super-speed, I don't think Snyder could have avoided having so much slo-mo in the film even if were inclined to reign it in (which he obviously isn't).

Jedi Merkurian and PCCViking like this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I was surprised they didn't end the film with a close up shot of Lex's feet going up the steps of his yacht in super slo-mo. Cuz that would add drama and make the critics take a comic book movie srsly, yo.

19. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Now WB have publicly acknowledged the "Snyderverse" is dead. OK
    But to everyone who got surprised about the end of Snyder run with DC i personelly believe that this movie, WonderWoman84, was a very early indication they ere moving in a diferent direction.
    Heck, this movie, in the end when Diana adresses the world about the danger of the wishes, contradicts directly Batman's quote in Justice League that WW was in hiding since the 1910's.
    In the end i take this movie now as an early eulogy to the Snyderverse.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was actually thinking about this this past weekend when I watched BVS and ZSJL. I don't think they're disregarding what BVS implied about WW- but they are retconning, fudging what exactly that meant. Because they definitely are changing what was originally planned (with WW1 being the only WW film before the Snyderverse & Suicide Squad, with all the solo films they announced being post-JL movies- so, too, would I assume a WW sequel to have originally been, as the WW1 frame story implies).

However, you can see her taking steps in WW84 to keep herself somewhat hidden, even as she's actively helping people. So they weren't completely abandoning the concept. Obviously, the end of the film raises questions about what level her unwishing address has on that.

I believe what we're meant to take is that Diana retreated from the world, for the most part, over the past several decades- as we saw her "day life" and hang-ups about Steve in WW84. But she was no longer in the implied self-isolation constantly for the entire period of time and was speaking from the end of several decades since her last efforts to reach out in 84 (which itself followed several decades of the same). And all of that was still caused by the loss of Steve (twice, now) that was implied to be one of the original reasons for her isolation, so it still mostly aligns- just with some wiggle room for sequels.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I think if you're a person living in the world of WW84 and you made a wish that your child was no longer in a wheelchair and you took that wish back for the betterment of society because a person on TV told you, then the last thing you're worrying about is some lady dressed up in red, blue, and yellow.

At this point, making the DCEU to connect and make any sense would be as futile as doing that exercise with all the current X-men movies.

Sarge likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it's X-Men-bad. WW84's internal plot logic is the main issue, not so much how well it fits into the DCEU. The latter is more or less fine, needing only to take a single line less literally.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the film establishes that even benevolent wishes have a serious downside. Not too firmly though because wishing a wheelchair bound child could walk again would probably have some horrible side effect that leads to renouncing that wish. Steve is basically the representation of what a "good" wish would do although not quite as harsh as what it could be.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The film is good but it could be better.

It's a flawed sequel but it wasn't as bad as the internet suggests.

That they go with a reality re-write to handwave away the biggest problems, like that bedroom sequence that raises all kinds of seriously problematic questions, is its buggest flaw. The other defence that they were following 80s culture? Whatever PR person signed that off should resign.

Outside of that it had some well-executed sequences. I liked how Lord became more and more a demonic monkey as he descended into greater acts of villainy. Cheetah tends to embody the outlook Lord advocates, of it being her "turn" and screw everyone else.

That said, this is a superhero movie. Don't expect it to be that interested in looking at where that thinking comes from or what would be required to change it for the better.

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    One thing I thought it did well was to show the motivations of the 'bad guys.' They didn't set out to be villains, but their own fears led them to craving more and more power. Lord got to the brink and realized where he was going and what he stood to lose before he pulled back. Barbara became addicted to the power, not realizing she didn't need it to have what she wanted. That is her tragedy, I think.

darthcaedus1138 and Jedi Ben like this.