main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What I do is not up to you." - Wonder Woman 1984

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The old school bondage just wouldn't work with today's audiences, who aren't aware of Diana's real world origins and why it was ever an issue. Jenkins was wise to leave that out.

Jedi Merkurian , wobbits and Sarge like this.
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well it would've been an excellent opportunity for kids to learn how to tie knots .

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Just show them "Jaws" and they'll learn how to tie a sheepshank knot.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and TX-20 like this.
  5. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think the supposed casting news is overshadowing an indirect confirmation of the villain for Wonder Woman 2; which according the reports are that Kristen Wiig is being sought after to play the role of Dr. Barbara Minerva aka Cheetah.

So, I think it's an interesting choice to go with Cheetah as the villain for the second Wonder Woman film as the early rumor was the villain would be Circe. Which still could happen if there would be two villains in the film like Nolan's Dark Knight with the Joker and Two-Face. It's also interesting because Dr. Minerva is an archaeologist, much like June Moone/Enchantress from Suicide Squad. However, it's very doubtful that Patty Jenkins would make Minerva as bad as an archaeologist as Moone. Anyway, I'm sure the archaeologist angle will be a key element to the plot of the film and kind of gives me an idea of how the movie may go.

The potential casting of Wiig is also interesting to me, as she more of a comedic actor. That's not to say that she can't do something remarkable in the role like Heath Ledger did as the Joker or what Michael Keaton was able to do with the role of Batman, but it makes me wonder if Dr. Minerva will be a more comedic character rather than serious. Additionally, I wonder if Wiig will have a British accent as Dr. Minerva is British.

I heard Emma Stone turned down the role as Cheetah. Maybe she had her fill of super hero flicks with her Amazing Spider-Man experience. I think she would have made a great Cheetah as she's pretty much great in everything and she has big catlike eyes.

Anyway, it's good to see Wonder Woman 2 going forward as some of the DC films are still struggling to get off the ground, much less find and keeping a director.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Wiig has done dramatic roles, which would help her in something like this.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, as I pointed out, Michael Keaton was well received as Batman. I'm also reminded of Robin Williams in One Hour Photo and alot of his other more dramatic roles. I'm just wondering if Minerva will have a humorous tone to her. I'm wondering this because of the tone shift message that WB/DC has been trying to get into the media the past couple of years.

I like Wiig and she's an accomplished actor, but I'm curious to know what Jenkins sees in Wiig specifically that would make Jenkins want her for the role.

Whoever is cast as Cheetah, I'm sure will do well and the character will be more of a focal point than Ares.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The first film was lighter in tone, while Ares and Dr. Poison were still deadly serious. I wager that Jenkins would want to keep that consistency and not have the villains being humorous.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I can't find the Attack of the Show vid of Wonder Woman(Munn) vs Cheetah(Butler).

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    probably for the better. olivia munn is dreadful

there's a good ww/cheetah fight in the dc animated film justice league doom:

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm a fan of Munn. Asian representation, homie. Munn actually gave Brett Butler a conclusion during that fight.

Here's the video. At the 40 second mark is the fight between Munnder Woman and Brett Cheetah.

Yeah, that's a pretty awesome fight. Wonder Woman fight choreography in the animated films are been solid. My favorite is Wonder Woman vs. the Furies in Superman/Batman Apocalypse. Too bad Justice League Doom was a poor adaptation of Tower of Babel.

Hopefully, Jenkins will get a better handle on the fight choreography and filming as I felt that was some of the weaker points of Wonder Woman.

Another question for me, which is, how will Cheetah be depicted. Meaning, in the traditional manner where she's the mirror opposite of women (basic bad guy) or the "Rebirth" version of the character as written by Greg Rucka where Minerva was inspired by Wonder Woman in her archaeological pursuits and befalls an unfortunate finding that turns her into Cheetah and makes her a more sympathetic character.

Ahsoka's Tano and VadersLaMent like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I liked that WW too. That movie as a whole is among my favorites in the DC animated universe 'cause it features a likeable cast of characters and you really get to see them dealing with a range of emotions.

I always manage to choke up a little at that scene where Superman finds the body of Kara's friend in the water and realizes she tried to save her from Darkseid. He clenches his fists, and you know Darkseid will be in for a world of hurt.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  16. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Hopefully, Agent Whiskey ERRRR Oberyan Martell character won't have a mustache issue. Moreover, I wonder if his character will steal Diana's magic lasso.
    [​IMG]

Even though I has no idea of what character that Pedro Pascal might play, I like the addition of the actor. Hopefully he won't be a love interest for Diana as I feel more often than not, the inclusion of a love interest in a comic book film hurts the plot and pace of the movie. Moreover, I don't think Diana needs a love interest for the sequel; especially if the sequel is like Rucka's Wonder Woman: Rebirth story.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Perhaps he'll face Diane in one-on-one combat, be winning, but then start grandstanding, allowing her to pop his skull.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Whatever happened to the rumor that Chris Pine was going to somehow return into a WW movie? I remember there were guesses anywhere from Trevor surviving the crash to Diana actually having a son with him.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I remember the rumors of Chris Pine's return to the Wonder Woman sequel. My guess would be some sort of flashbacks, unless the explosion sent Steve Trevor through time.

What I'm curious about the sequel is the continuity with the proclamations made in the Zack Snyder films where Wonder Woman disappeared/went into hiding for about a hundred years because of the horrors of man. Will Wonder Woman be a public figure or not? At the end of the original Wonder Woman film, it was clear by present day time that Wonder Woman will answer the call to a crisis, but will that be in the case in the years between the original film and Batman v. Superman?

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Remember, this Batman is dumb and a terrible detective; he didn't even know Clark is Superman. She's probably been around, doing all sorts, he just wasn't aware. She was nice and didn't want to break his heart, so just said she hadn't been around.

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well I haven't seen it yet, but Justice League takes place after the events of the WW prologue, right? I know many of the later comics were about her dealing with gods and monsters (and maybe aliens); but I liked her more when she was dealing with real world enemies like the Nazis in WWII.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Diana didn't exactly say that she quit being Wonder Woman. She said that she turned her back on man's world. She didn't say how long she stopped being Wonder Woman. We already know that she's living in man's world again when Lex finds out about her. We know that she has her gear with her and brought it to Metropolis, instead of having to return home for it. There's enough wiggle room to say that she did help out as Wonder Woman, but her actions weren't as widely known.

You know, I see that and think, why would he suspect Superman of having a dual identity? In the comics, he doesn't think Clark has one until he's given a reason to believe there would be such a scenario. Lois never published her second story on Kal-El, describing that he used different aliases and that she followed the various stories back to Smallville. The film paints a picture of Bruce concentrating on luring Clark out into the open, rather than hunting him down.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Why did Lois suspect him of having a dual identity? Because she's an excellent investigative journalist who followed a lead. Bruce is supposed to be the world's greatest detective.

That, along with the WW thing are just plot holes. No big deal, it happens.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Lois didn't suspect him of having a dual identity. She wanted to know who this man was, who saved her life and displayed fantastic abilities. And when the military discovered that the identity was fake, she followed up on it, looking for him. Far different from Batman, who chooses to light a Bat Signal and wait for Superman to come to him. That doesn't make him a lousy detective.

Juliet316 likes this.