main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One What if Rogue One was released before Force Awakens?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DarthAlgar, Dec 23, 2016.

1. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    One thing I know for sure is we would've seen a lot less of those dumb "Where's Rey? Where's Kylo? Why is Darth Vader back?" YouTube comments on the Rogue One trailers. Haha

I, for one, would probably have loved it all the same. I was one of those people who was disappointed with The Force Awakens. I didn't hate it, but it just didn't resonate with me the way I hoped it would. I was even underwhelmed by the death of my favorite fictional character ever! Rogue One rekindled my love of Star Wars. It just struck all the right chords. Tense drama throughout with just the right amount of comic relief, I fell in love with Jyn Erso and the last half hour is now my favorite battle in all of Star Wars. Oddly enough, it actually made me more excited for The Last Jedi than TFA did.

2. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    It would have been even more frustrating to see TFA in the theater, knowing that Disney is actually capable of effort.

In general I feel that TFA would accompany TLJ's reputation tbh.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I actually wish RO (with some story tweaks) was the kick off for the ST! Yes - I am serious.

Taylore likes this.
  4. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I can't blame you tbh..and it could have worked, focusing more on what happens when an Empire falls rather than the repackaged black and white lens of TFA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ezekiel22x likes this.
  5. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    Yeah, I'd never thought of it that way but now I'm sad that Rogue One wasn't Episode VII. It is a bit dark for a mainline saga film, but I find it fascinating how even though it takes place at virtually the same time as A New Hope, is directly tied to the plot of that film and even uses a lot of the exact same design elements (stormtroopers, etc) Rogue One is the most original of the three new films in terms of story and character.

Move the time period, maybe change the superweapon to something other than a literal Death Star, and lighten the tone just a bit...and you could have a film that takes Star Wars someplace exciting. If it's not the actual Death Star, then we wouldn't even know what to expect in the end. I don't mind that the film as it is leads to a sort of known ending because I find the how/why really rewarding, but it really could be adjusted into an unpredictable forward-looking sequel.

Avnar likes this.