main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What if the classic SW films were sold differently on DVD without the box set?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Voldemort, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    When I purchased the DVD box set of the original trilogy in 2005-2006 and watched the bonus disc, it got me thinking:
    What if Lucasfilms released all these films individually in 2 disc sets (like the prequel films were), with Empire of dreams divided into three documentaries instead of one?

Instead of getting the first 1977, 1980 and 1983 cuts on the second discs as bonus features, what if these discs contained the trailer for each films, The Empire of Dreams for each film and every other feature concerning each film individually.

If you watch the one for The Empire Strikes Back, it summarizes the popularity of A New Hope and how it prompted the courage to make a sequel. After that it goes into the entire making of Episode V and what the reaction to that was. All this could have fit into disc 2 (the bonus disc) of The Empire Strikes Back.

Same for the other 2 films. A New Hope. The Empire of Dreams documentary would start of with the origin for Star Wars and end up with the cinematic release of the films.

The bonus disc of episode six would start with how popular episode five was and the starting production of Return of the Jedi.

So to sum it up, let's pretend the three films were released in 2 disc sets each, with the bonus disc from the four disc box set divided into three sets. How would fans feel if it was released in this method?

What would your reaction be to that? I first thought that over twelve years ago, but want to know how other fans would feel about that.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Let me make it simpler: what if the OT films were released in 2 disc sets like the prequel films with the documentaries, trailers and other special features for each film found in the second disc. How would fans react to that as oppossed to the box set?

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    I prefer the box set. It’s big, beautiful, and I love it! The presentation is gorgeous! I love the artwork on the slipcase. Pulling the box out of the slipcase reveals more beautiful artwork. Then you get to the discs themselves, each film in its own case and the special features in a separate case. The release of this set was an event, and the presentation of this set was a reflection of the importance of that event.

I bought the gold, full screen box set in 2004. Like most people at the time, I had a CRTV, and I wasn’t buying into widescreen, black bars at the top and bottom of the screen nonsense. Then I noticed that Han was speaking offscreen in a scene in which I clearly remembered him being onscreen. It’s the scene in Empire in which Han says, “Not entirely stable. Well, I’m glad you’re here to tell us these things. Chewie, take the professor in the back, and plug him into the hyperdrive.” And I noticed that the second Death Star was initially offscreen when the camera pans down in the opening scene in Jedi. I’ve since joined the widescreen movement and now own the silver, widescreen box set.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  4. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    I suffered the same fate as you and bought the Golden disc set. I didn't like the cover art set in both the golden and silver ones. I gifted it to my mother's friend and former employee who's a Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Superhero buff and he liked them.

I preferred the 2 disc sets which i currently own. Although the portrayal of the characters is less serious than the box set, it's still more colorful artwork.

How would you have felt if the special features were loaded into disc 2 of these films? What if Empire of Dreams was divided into three documentaries (which it technically can be) into the second disc of these. Like the prequel films are released.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Encuentro likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    I have both the 2004 box set and the 2006 DVD releases. I bought the 2006 DVDs for the theatrical cut bonus discs. I guess I prefer Empire of Dreams as it is. It's an epic documentary that covers the entire original trilogy.

6. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    ^ True it does. But if it were to be divided into 3 sects, one covering the specific film and each section covering the second disc, I'd also think that would be cool.
    Back in the days of VHS, all three films were available in box set and individually. I honestly wouldn't have minded if they gave the OT DVDs the same treatment as the prequel films, with the second disc containing the documentary divided into the specific film. As they did with the prequels.

7. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Own them individually or in a box set on VHS:

8. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    There would need to be enough bonus material to put on each individual movie though. Remember, the prequel DVDs had multiple documentaries (besides ROTS, which only had one), multiple featurettes, web documentaries, and deleted scenes. And if I recall, Empire of Dreams initially aired on TV before the 2004 OT set came out, right? Or at least most of it did. So it wasn't even new material really. It doesn't seem like they had enough bonus material ready at the time to do individual bonus discs, even if they wanted to.

Still, if they managed to put the classic documentaries and some new ones with deleted scenes, then it might have been worth it. At the very least, it'd be cool to see more DVD menus designed by Van Ling.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    What needed to be included on the 04 DVD set, besides the deleted scenes, was the material from "From Star Wars To Jedi".

Lt. Hija and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    I don't know exactly what that is? Are you referring to the menu of the original cut of the of the films? If so, I'm obliged to agree with you. I did NOT like the DVD menus for any of the SW movies on DVD.
    But i loved the limited edition DVD menus on disc 2. That's how they should have made a SW film.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  11. theMaestro

Oct 16, 2015
    I was referring to the menu style on the 2004 OT DVD set and the prequel DVDs. I do like those, yes. But I also agree that the "bonus discs" with the theatrical cuts had cool menus with the animated posters.

12. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    I preferred those. The DVD menus of the prequels and 2004 cuts were awful. They were way too long and give away most of the films.

christophero30 likes this.
  13. theMaestro

Oct 16, 2015
    They were great. I like how they looped segments of the movie to give the menus an immersive feeling. They might give away the movie to newcomers, but that's not really a problem for me since I've seen them already.

christophero30 and Encuentro like this.
  14. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I thought they were awesome, It was like watching the movie in three minutes. I really enjoy that part.

15. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Is there really anyone watching these that doesn't already know the plot of the movie? :p

Bob the X-Winger likes this.
  16. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The 2004 DVD boxset release of the OT was a big deal. I was very excited and loved the content we received and the presentation. I've got the widescreen, silver and black box. Nice artwork in and out, the box material is rather thin, not nearly as protective and resistant to shelf wear like LOTR EE boxes.
    There is beautiful artwork on the discs themselves, and nice, brief paper inserts with chapters.
    Having Empire Of Dreams as one epic documentary is my preference. That's one of my favorite documentaries ever.

I would have liked more new special features on each film's disc though.

The SW: OT Limited Edition sets are fine. I yet again rebought Episodes IV and V to get the second discs with the original theatrical editions. I'm disappointed in these Limited Editions for several reasons, but mostly for making some fans double dip to get the OOT, which was merely an adequate transfer from the laserdisc or something. So that additional cost was approximately 45-50 dollars to purchase all three films.
    Now, for those who skipped the boxset, it was a good deal. You just didn't get Empire Of Dreams.

So you can see what was going on for the completist. And sure enough, the 2011 blu ray Saga box contained lots of great new special features, but not EOD or the PT bonus features.

Bummer. Better hang on to your DVDs everybody lol.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  17. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    I think you missed the point :) I'd prefer to see the movies directly rather than watch the menus which take so long to load. Somebody once even justified having the VHS just to skip these long menus. But the menus on the "bonus discs" were just fantastic. Awesome animation and brought you right the scenes nice & smooth.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I would have preferred something akin to what they did with the PT, with a bonus disc per movie. But I understand why they did the boxset that way.

Although I'm still baffled that they never re-released the Special Edition doc from the VHS and LD releases.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Making everything silver-colored in the widescreen boxsets results in the OT DVD packages and discs not matching those of the prequels. I'd think they'd want color consistency for all 6 movies.

20. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    One thing awesome about the VHS special editions, were in those days, just before the film started, you had that epic voiceover from trailers saying, "Now sit back and watch..." Does anyone remember that? It had a rousing piece of Star Wars music playing and then a pause, and then the fanfare starts. It was awesome.

I do wonder whether to go for the Star Wars saga boxset on Blu ray. Since I like the DVD version (2004) Special Edition and the PT's. It's the rumour of the "Noo" that worries me. Otherwise, I really like the additional detail and want the maximum quality to watch the best saga there is.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I had a VHS set with a Leonard Maltin interview with George Lucas, and another set with the making of the SE doc.

As far as best quality goes, that the Blu-ray boxset, no contest.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  22. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Yep, the blu ray boxset looks the best. Much more clarity and detail.

And the three discs of special features are excellent. Especially the third disc which has documentaries and SW spoofs.

23. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Never owned the Blu-Rays, but saw them online. They look okay. I never bothered to buy a Blu-Ray player. We just switched from VHS to DVD in like 19 years and then comes along Blu-Ray. I think we need to slow down a little.

But if I buy a large Del laptop, who knows. Those can play Blu-Rays right? I'll only probably buy it for the special features i've already watched the blu-ray versions online.

24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I prefer it when films come out individually with an additional bonus disc, especially ones as extensive as the those with the PT. I tend to think that when franchises put out box sets that the bonus features on the extra disc aren't always as indepth as we'd like them to be.Howeve thats probably down to them not wanting to completely clear the vaults in one go.

But I've bought a load of SW boxsets over the years and yet i still think my favourite is the Exectuor video boxset from the early 1990's. Much like the first DVD release, the Executor box set had all 3 films plus a bonus tape with a lot of special features on it .All the making of documentaries, trailers, interviews, artwork features..... over 5hrs of bonus material.

Someone will have to refresh my memory, but how do the first DVD and the more recent blur ray boxsets compare to the special features on the Exectuor box set? I know Empire of Dreams was new for the DVD set but aside from that I'm not sure if the later boxsets omitted stuff from the Executor set.

25. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    I totally agree. I would have liked to have the original films released individually on DVD with the bonus material on disc 2.

There have been four DVD boxsets of the original SW trilogy and I think two boxsets of the blu-ray

2004: All three films are released on DVD with the bonus disc containing Empire of Dreams and hours of other special features. About four hours bonus footage.

2005: All three films are released again in a single boxset without the bonus disc with different art on the box. No differences on the discs or their cases from the 2004 versions.

2006: All three films are released individually in 2 disc sets like the prequels. Disc 2 contains the original cuts of the movies copied from blu-ray and the disc cases have different cover art.

2007: All three films are released in the 2 disc cases compiled in a special tin box set, known as the "30th anniversary edition".

2008: All three films are released again in slim cases in another cardboard box set with different cover art.

I've owned the 2004 and 2005 boxsets, bootlegs from the 1997 SE laserdiscs and currently own the individual 2 disc sets lined up along my prequel discs, all in golden widescreen. I consider the Ewok Adventure films part of that DVD collection, even though it's both films in a single disc (one each flip side) and in full screen.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018