main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is a Jedi?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit' , Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    AhHh! You all scream. I know the answer to that one! Maybe our mod has finally lost her marbles if she is asking that sort of question....I mean this is Star Wars isn't it? She has been here for four years hasn't she? She should know....

Yes. I know. Or at least I know what a Jedi is on the surface, I know what a Jedi is to me. However, as I've been discovering over the last couple of weeks many people have a different perception of Jedi. Some see them as police, others as guardians, others as watchers...

Not only that, but people have different ideas on the way that Jedi should interact both with themselves and with others. Many people's Jedi show emotion - while others would argue that a Jedi should not show any emotion at all.

So what do you think a Jedi should be? How should they act? Do many fics go over the top in terms of Jedi emotion - or should Jedi be allowed to show and feel as much emotion as they like?

Kithera

2. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    This is actually a great question. I think it really depends a lot on what era you subscribe to. Some people prefer the prequel style where Jedi follow the old order codes and others prefer Luke's new Jedi, which aren't bound by all of the old rules since he had to re-build the order from scratch.

I don't think there can be just one version of Jedi now. The characters philosophy must dictate which of those paths they should take. Even if you've never read the EU. The films show that Luke was going to take the word Jedi and make it something a little different from what it was before. Luke added the word love to what it means to be a Jedi. His "attachment" to his father is what saved the Galaxy. And he had only the knowledge that Yoda gave to him.

I couldn't quite warm up to GL's vision of emotionally detached protectors, so for myself I prefer to work in the OT and beyond.

Now saying they shouldn't be monks and writing them as hormonal are two different things. When acting in the role of a Jedi they should be able to maintain perspective on their emotions. They should have enough disipline to feel things but put that emotion aside when needed. I think the mistake that can be made is writing them as "Vulcans", or going to the other extreme and forgetting they have been trained to gain control of their negative feelings, and letting emotion rule the day.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I believe they should be able to think and feel as any human/scentient being would, when they are not using the Force. But when they are acting as Jedi then they should be held to the standards of their training and personal philosophy.

3. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    First, I guess the definition on what a Jedi is, lies partly "in the eye of the beholder" ;) , so to say. ;)

I mean - every definition is in the end subjective, because the means of defining something is different in each person. At least, unless a commitee created a norm-like definition.

Second, I'd say that my personal point of view changed over the time. My "core"-point of view still remains what Obi-Wan once said on Tatooine (sorry, if I misspelled the planet's name) to the young Luke Skywalker; this still is the "ultimate definition" to me.

Apart from that, my point of view changed around that core.

In the recent time, my POV shifted into the direction of personal experiences with esoterical things, namely with Reiki.

There is a kind of Energy out there, which some call Ki or Qi or Chi, and it often reminds me of the Force. Maybe GL knew about that, since he took some things from asian belief-systems into the GFFA.

Since I know it, my POV has changed a bit; I know see the Jedi more from the esoterical angle of the camera. ;)

Addition : My Point of View changed - for example - into the direction that Jedi should be allowed to have Emotions, but, according to the Jedi Code, that would be some sort of heresy, at least in the Old Republic.

Luke Skywalker is ihmo unlike any other Jedi; he is unique, like his father, and his sister in a way, too.

I think they use - because every trace of Jedi tradition has been totally erased - things like emotion totally naturally as being a Jedi (other things, too).

4. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    I think the mistake that can be made is writing them as "Vulcans"

That is very well put, Mariah. When people write Jedi as beings void of all emotion and feeling, they are doing something incredibly wrong. In my opinion, Jedi can feel and think like any other human being, but they learn to have more control over their emotions than most people. When they get mad, they don't punch the person in the eye and then go get a drink and make themselves feel good; they swallow their anger, smile briefly and walk away. (Personally, I think that Yoda was being cruel depriving people of "attatchment". Where would a person be without love?? But that to the side! :D) I think the world would be a better place if people learned to check their emotions more.

Mace Windu described Jedi as "keepers of the peace, not soldiers." I like to combine the two terms and think of them as "soldiers of peace". Their job is to attempt to keep some sort of order in the galaxy, and in the most peaceful way possible. But if they have to, they will resort to shedding of blood.

My $.02 :D

5. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    Do many fics go over the top in terms of Jedi emotion - or should Jedi be allowed to show and feel as much emotion as they like?

I'm gonna work backwards on this one. In PT, Jedi are supposed to have control over their emotions. Most Jedi, the Jedi we are familiar with, Luke, Anakin, they're human and therefore susceptible to human emotion.

Anakin's emotions in Attack of the Clones, show us the bad side of having emotions. But I don't think that necessarily means if you have emotions, you're susceptible to the Darkside. I believe it is possible for a Jedi to feel emotions and not let those emotions overwhelm them.

It's only when a Jedi wants to become all powerful, no matter the costs and how much it hurts those around him/her that having emotions is bad.

So what do you think a Jedi should be? How should they act?

The problem with having too much power, or any type of power, is the ego. We all know this to be true. As guardians of the light, ego, which I would consider as a strong emotion, is something that a Jedi should not have. Big ego is a 'no, no' - it leads to the mentality that he/she is invinceable, which is stupid and would probably get them killed or worse.

I have a new question: What type of emotion should a Jedi have?

They should care for others; unconditional love as Anakin said to Padme is important to a Jedi. I sort of believe this to be true. It's all right to love unconditionally, just as long as the love doesn't become dark. I believe it to be essential to Jedi to have some emotion.

How would it look if they were cold and elusive to everyone around them? They would be considered heartless.

~aeryn

6. Hydralisk

Hydralisk Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2000
    The Jedi of the Order I created are trained around the idea of peace through balance. One must acknowledge and express emotion to prevent it from becoming pent up and repressed, and thus, throwing off one's inner balance. That's why I feel love, fun, hobbies, or even healthy competition are good things for a Jedi. The key to balance is finding the proper outlet for emotions.

Then again, I suppose "what a Jedi is" varies from Jedi to Jedi. Species is a good example of a big variable. Wookiees (or at least I've always believed) can get a bit tempermental when those they are loyal to are threatened. Can training overcome nature? I guess it depends. I have a Colicoid Jedi who struggles constantly between his calm, compassionate Jedi side and his barbaric, carnivorous nature.

So, I guess my take on it is that nothing is static. Everything changes and evolves from situation to situation, person to person. Not much of a conclusion, huh?

7. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    First, let me say I really like this topic. I'm glad it's been posted.

I think there is some validity to just about all views of what a Jedi is or should be. In the Old Republic, Jedi innitiates were identified early and taken to the Jedi Temple. That way, there's little to no familial bond to have to deal with. It was demonstrated in TPM, when Anakin ran back to his mother. Without those bonds, the Jedi can focus specifically on their job.

In the post RotJ EU, a being can seemingly become a Jedi at anytime. We now have Jedi with families, siblings, etc... which I think make them more sympathetic characters. Speaking as a husband and a father, I can say I'd probably have quite a different view of what it means to be a Jedi than if I were single & had no other family. The thought of protecting something would make me fight harder and strive more to protect others. Example, before my daughter was born, I had a very indifferent view towards children. Not that I didn't care about kids, but I didn't have any, thus no frame of reference. Once my daughter came into this world, my view changed radically. I found there was a devotion and fierceness (even more intense than the feelings I have for my wife)inside me I didn't know was there. I would die to protect my daughter and my wife. Woe to anyone who even thought of harming them. Now suppose a Jedi had a spouse and children. How much harder would they try to protect others?

I don't know if that all makes any sense. I know what I'm trying to say, but it just doesn't want to come out the way I want it to.

8. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    If a Jedi had a spouse or child (I'm not talking Anakin), she/he would either focus his/her attention on his family or still pay attention to them but still be able to do their job. For Anakin, having a family is a big distraction for him, so he isn't focused and more vulnerable.

I guess it really depends on the person, their personality if they can handle having an extra responsibility, or able to handle their emotions.

~aeryn

9. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    That's kind of what i was trying to get at. Depending on the individual, family connections could either be a distraction or an incentive. Without those family connections, a Jedi that grew up in the Jedi Temple wouldn't be distracted by things like family. But at the same time, without those connections they may might not feel the same empathy towards those they are sworn to protect as someone with a family. There has to be a balance somewhere, at least regarding the EU Jedi. A Jedi in one of my WIP is trying to come to grips with not having a family. It's his own choice, but he sees how happy his friends and family are and he's trying to balance his own desires versus the greater good.

10. -JediKnight-

-JediKnight- Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2003
    Jedi are guardians and Keepers of the Peace.

Any questions?

-JK-

11. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I've always wondered at the psychological damage that the Jedi are doing to the child by taking it away from its parents at such an early age. I know when you do that to animals (dogs and cats) you get incredabley sooky, or overly aggressive animals who really do have attachment difficulties with both their own species and humans. However, that's a different topic...

I see Jedi as really the peacekeepers. They watch, wait and learn and then finally they act. They are the diplomatic side of the Bureacracy known as the Republic.

As for emotions, that's different. If you look at my sig. you'll see two different quotes about Jedi and emotions. I see Jedi as buddhist monks (or rather probably their holiwood equivelant)- not easy excited, more amused at others, not ones for a great deal of emtion showing - because they found that peace a long time ago.

I do think that many poeple's Jedi show too much emotion, get angry too easily. Sometimes I often wonder why these Jedi didn't fall, the amount of emotion that they go through (mostly anger/self loathing) would lead me to believe they would need serious help. I'm guilty of this too (in many ways) but I'm trying to rectify this.

I also think that there could easily be a streak of arrogance in the Jedi Order. Not a concious one, but one quietly cultivated by the fact that being a Jedi means that you are different. You are better then the average person because you can do more stuff.

How about outsider's reactions to Jedi? Should people be appreciative/hateful/fawning?

Kithera

12. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    How about outsider's reactions to Jedi? Should people be appreciative/hateful/fawning?

It seems to me, Kit, there are two different people. The person that is familiar with Jedi, what they stand for in the old republic and the other guy, who doesn't really too much about them and is therefore, hateful and spreads ugly rumors about them. The outsider is more likely to cause more damage to the Jedi's reputation, spreading seeds of doubt in people's minds.

If the Jedi lived in our world, there would still be that one guy who would fear them. People should appreciate the good that they do -- not look at the bad.

I mean, people shouldn't base some of the bad cases of Jedi crossing over to the darkside and overlook the good that many Jedi have done.

There's something else I wanted to add but I forgot what it was.

~~aeryn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.