main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What is a weekend?" The Downton Abbey Adoration Thread (unhighlighted spoilers after UK eps. air)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Everton, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Do. It is worth it. Even if you're not a fan of the show, it's a pretty interesting place to visit. Doesn't break the bank, either. If you get a nice day (I didn't [face_frustrated] ) I'm sure walking in the grounds is fantastic. And beautiful.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i am a fan, i just got into it late and have never posted about it. :p

3. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. :D

epic likes this.
  4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Everton likes this.
  5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    i) Michelle Dockery. [face_love]
    ii) Sybbie is soooooo cute. I can absolutely believe she's the daughter of Tom and Lady Sybil... and I can even see a bit of Cora in her. Wonderful casting.

Although the Christmas special was not the best episode ever, seeing these pictures makes me desperate for the show to return. Somehow a picture of Mr. Carson in half-shadow is enough to restore my faith in all things Downton.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    sigh.

I can't get excited over it. I lost faith back during the last season when I realized I was falling behind on episodes and just didn't care.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    ... what. [face_plain]

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    More pics from a series four. The last three are, in order, jazz singer Jack Ross, Lord Gillingham and "dashing" Charles Blake. Odd seeing the cast shot without Matthew. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
  11. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
  12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I found this on Tumblr and I can't help but go "Awwww...." [face_love]

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I haven't really checked that tumblr since Matthew died. It's still pretty raw. They were just the best couple (well, second best)... and now... :( *sniff*

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    From the Radio Times:

Series four of Downton Abbey is coming soon and we can reveal a major key change in the title music. Gone is the upbeat violin and jaunty piano to be replaced by something much darker. It's all to mirror the continuing grief of Matthew's widow, Lady Mary. But we're assured the musical mourning doesn't last beyond the first episode later this month. Normal Downton-style service is resumed for episode two.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll just leave this trailer here:

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    First episode tonight. Downton isn't what it once was, I know, but I am still pretty excited! :D

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Very good, solid opening episode. Very realistic portrayal of how people cope with a loss in different ways. In Mary's case, pretty badly, shutting herself from the world, until Mr. Carson and the Dowager Countess bring her out. Especially Mr. Carson - kudos to him for being prepared to be on the receiving end of both Mary's anger and her grief. He's the best.

Some more thoughts:

- Robert, WTF? Your daughter doesn't need to be kept in bed, protected and pampered and shielded from everything, she needs to be shaken out of her stupor and do something! How dare you deny her responsibility?
    - The Dowager Countess continues to be a brilliant meddler for the greater good, even though it doesn't work (not by her fault, though).
    - The nanny of Sybbie and George was Dolores Umbridge in disguise.
    - Anna and Mr. Bates continue to be the Best Couple Ever. [face_love]
    - Mrs. Hughes makes a bold move, trying to bring Isobel back into life, and succeeds! Yay!
    - More dangerous new technology in the house (electric egg beater). Lulz. :p
    - Not sure what Rose's game is, but I don't trust her much.

Everton likes this.
  18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Agree with all of that, Mar (except one thing ;) ).

The episode did a very good job of showing just how much of an impact Matthew had had on the estate and its population. He was Mary's one and only, he was the only man capable of stopping Robert erring at every turn, he kept his mother going, he gave Tom a partner-in-crime, and so on. He would've been a wonderful Lord. It was great to see Mary come around (and Robert will now presumably be forced onto the back-foot - note I said "only man"), see Tom realise that he doesn't have to do it alone and Isolbel (despite the fact that she's a boring character) realise that she can still be a positive influence upon the world. Basically, I thought Matthew's legacy (good and bad) was dealt with extremely well. Yes, he's gone and that's tragic, but he's left behind a group of people empowered to make a difference. Robert may bluster and try to shut Mary down, but his power over her only really existed for as long as she would permit it.

I'm really encouraged for the rest of the series. Yes, it's not what it once was. That first series will always be an untouchable standard, but the pace of this episode was just right and the balance of time afforded to small scale plots (Valentine's Day, Carson's former stage partner) and the concerns over the future of the estate was just right.

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    What the ****, Downton Abbey?!

WHAT. THE. ****?!!!

:mad:

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Agreed. 100%. ****ing outrageous. :mad:

21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Haven't been watching though I plan on catching up.

What happened that's so outrageous, and in what episode?

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Not telling. Spoilers.

23. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    So finally got to the first episode. It was pretty alright.

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Um... Yeah... Agreed. :mad:

I can not believe they did that to Anna. I was so hoping someone would come to her rescue. Bates, a fuming Carson, James, Thomas, Alfred. Anyone. I never saw that coming and couldn't believe he got away with it.

Definitely looking forward to the Christmas episode to learn exactly what Bates did in York before Mr. Green's 'accident'

We know that Bates did it with the automobile in the street. Now I want a Downton Abbey CLUE. :p

25. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    So I've still got 3 episodes to watch of this series.

I don't like what they did to Anna. It's pure and simple just lazy writing. They don't know what to do with a female character, so they had her raped. It's terrible and weak.

It's still good drama though. It further defines Bates and HOPEFULLY Anna in that she'll move past it. And we got to see Bates at his best, comforting her, and soon hopefully at his worst, hunting down the perpetrator. I don't like it, but it is what it is. Thankfully the show is almost over.