main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions What is the one thing that you are most glad is no longer canon?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by beedubaya, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Sorry, Starkiller Base is still canon. [face_laugh]

2. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    The Yuuzhan Vong. I would much rather have seen more about the Unknown Regions and the Ssi Ruuvi Imperium.

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    If only 'one' thing... then the New Jedi Order series. God, how I loathe thee.

4. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    The Clone Wars-era bounty hunter Durge and the Vuzhaan Vong. Both feel wrong in Star Wars. Each would fit better in another universe.

TetsuAero and darklordoftech like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can't comment on the vong, since I have not read the NJO, but why do you think Durge is wron in SW?

6. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    The Revan book.

I was just thinking about that book today.

I remember reading the epilogue and remember how upset I was at that point when I got to it. And the epilogue itself didn't help matters either.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    The Vong, I have never liked them.

darklordoftech and twowolves like this.
  8. DARTHLARS

Mar 12, 2002
    Both with Vong and Durge, they are too weird, steering too hard into science fiction territory, away from the stuff that we are used to. Durge is too powerful. The use of poison gas, which is also un-Star Warsy. He also does not look cool or evil - he just looks like an a-hole (with or without armour), and not in the sense of Spaceballs.

TetsuAero likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It appears in TPM as well.

10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016

Poison gas was commonly used in the rough draft of Star Wars; It was one of the FIRST elements used in SW! That's about as Star Warsy as it gets.

Ewok Poet and Darth Dnej like this.
  11. DARTHLARS

Mar 12, 2002
    Sorry, I meant it as being used as a WMD in a terrorist attack. In Star Wars, the WMDs would be bombardments from space.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Whatttt? He's in the Top Three Sith for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  14. Darth Rozic

Darth Rozic Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    I agree with darklordoftech Vitiate is a character I'm not the biggest fan of!

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  15. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I also agree, he just wasn't all that interesting a character. The whole Valkorion thing just made it worse.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  16. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    The whole NJO arc. I hate the Vong and I hate that Chewie and Anakin Solo were killed.

17. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

While I think NJO is okay, I didn't like Chewie dying at all. (I will admit that I never clicked with the Solo kids, so I didn't really care that much about them, and the only one of them I liked at all lived, so yeah.) However, I really don't like the Legacy era of materials; it really sucked the enjoyment of Star Wars out for me. So, I'm really glad that the reboot did something else, esp. since the TFA era is becoming one of my favorites in the franchise.

18. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    Starkiller for me, not because I hated the character or TFU story, but because I felt that this era was already overcrowded (same for Ashoka in Clone Wars).

I haven't really read post RoTJ EU so I might not be objective but I always disliked the idea of Palpatine cloning himself.
    Could you explain?
    Could you elaborate? From what I have read and heard people (generally) think that Valkorion actually made Vitiate interesting.

19. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    So glad the NJO thing is out, and basically everything Jacen/Jaina and Mara Jade. Good riddance!

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  20. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Palpatine alive post-RotJ. It turned him into Freddy/Jason. More importantly, once you introduce something like that, it not only minimizes the RotJ victory, but any victory. Not a fan of people coming back from the dead or even the "you thought I was dead, but I wasn't" when a movie/book presents what is clearly meant to be a death of finality.

I never really considered everything put out under the SW banner "cannon". So I just played things like The Force Unleashed as a neat little parallel universe game. I'm not a fan of hero/villains that have powers that are borderline godlike. Yoda says "size matters not", but it wasn't supposed to be exponentially literal. I didn't expect him to take out a Death Star by simply force pushing it into a planet. So TFU Star Destroyer force pull/crash thing was always a bit much for me.

I guess if you combine the two, it is anything where the SW universe went into God (or even Titan) level powers. Power shouldn't be explored with one upsmanship. Life still needs to be delicate.

21. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    As disheartened I was that the EU I grew up with was no longer, I was kinda looking forward to getting away from all the super weapons. I agree with Darth Rozic, they really lessen the impact of the singular highest danger that is a Death Star. I laughed when I saw Starkiller Base following the EU old tradition. There's alway a bigger Sun Crusher.

22. Darth Rozic

Darth Rozic Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    What's wrong with the NJO?? Wait, never mind I see your point! I still don't get why the temple's on Yavin 4. In a ****ing Sith Temple!!!! Whhhhhyyyyyyyy??!! (well that's my little rant:))

Although I had no problem with Jaina and Anakin, Jacen I really disliked . Darth Caedus is just too far.
    At first to me it made no sense in my eyes. Sure he's charismatic and noble and what not but Bastilla's just a stuck up "British" Jedi. Now after replaying KotOR (and realising that there's a flirt option between Revan and Bastilla) they're my biggest ship (maybe second to Thane and Cienna[face_thinking])

Also about Palpatine cloning himself in TFU 2 it says it's impossible to clone a Force user (that's why the cloned Starkillers are such a big deal)

23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Regarding the cloned Force users, maybe it's impossible to clone them without them going crazy: Joruus C'baoth and the clones in the Paul Kemp duology that takes place before FOTJ.

24. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    I think that was the idea behind Palpatine. He was completely destroying/suppressing the host clone's consciousness/mind and supplanting it with his own.

25. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Well, in the Thrawn books, Leia comes to the conclusion that clone madness comes when clones are grown too quickly; that interacts badly with the Force. Which is why Thrawn put Force-empty fields around his cloning tanks.

I think that the can or can't Force users be cloned is just an inconsistency the franchise created and there's no "no-prizing" it; it's just a mistake, like happens when creating a large franchise.

PCCViking likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.