main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions What is the one thing that you are most glad is no longer canon?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by beedubaya, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    X1 and X2 did make a mess of the clone Force user problem.

But they're also the only slow grow Kaminoan clones we've seen of Jedi...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Unitomic

Unitomic Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    The ungodly and never ending redundancy of the Pre EU. It was the same story line done over and over. Sith rise up, War, Sith Die. Sith Rise up, War, Sith Die. Sith Rise up, War, Sith Die. Sprinkle in a few Great Purge- Rip Offs, a couple Sith Civil Wars, and a bunch of Wars that are so large and devastating that you almost wonder why anyone took the Clone Wars and Civil War serious, and one or two Sith-Jedi Alliances. Then They topped it off with a final war where I am pretty certain one side was fighting with Force Damned Medieval weaponry! Like seriously?!?! Of course in the end, nothing will annoy me more from this era then the Sith Emperor. A God who wouldn't die, lived millennia, and controlled the entire Sith Empire through the Force. Then entire army of thousands of Sith seemingly brainwashed. Seriously? Is that a joke? No. Sadly it isn't.

The Constant refusal to show us a stable Galaxy in the Post EU. I mean, did we really need to see the Galaxy constantly collapsing and such? I would have been very happy with a decade or so conflicts, followed by a New Republic (I was pissed to learn the New Republic didn't last long) where the Budding New Order dealt with Force threats, but with the Galaxy itself healing!

As for Intermediate EU (between the movies), I think my only complaint is when it so quickly conflicts with the movies. Such as Luke finding another Jedi Master or something. I also didn't like the constant broading of Vader. I get the point they wanted, but it just made him seem so annoyingly... whiny. It took from his bad @ssery. Then there is the Force Unleashed. Firstly, it contradicts so much of the Rebellion Origin mythos. Secondly, Force Sensitivity shouldn't be clonable. Why didn't Palpatine have Vader Killed on the Operating Table, then use his cells to create a new Clone Army from that? Why has there never been a Clone force of Sensitives? Thirdly, you cannot keep showing Vader get beat up, and then expect us to take him seriously? Disney Comics do better at making him look awesome! Even his fight with Maul made him look weak and in need of stabbing himself through just to take down someone that was honestly not on par with many sword fighters. And Lastly, Starkiller is too OP. Like honestly.

darklordoftech and twowolves like this.
  3. Unitomic

Unitomic Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    Oh, Also, Palpatine should have stayed dead. Palpatine returning just ruined everything. Him returning stronger was a massive F-U. No redeeming anything here. Anakin did NOT bring balance to the Force with Palpatine returning stronger then ever.

Lastly, yes, I also dislike the Yuuzhan Vong. They felt like an Author that tried way too hard. The Living Planet schtick was also way too Marvel/DC, and too pseudo Sci-Fi for Star Wars.

4. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    lol Bravo! Hear, hear! Still, the things I miss about the EU are the background stuff. Places like Denon, city-planets just ripe with potential for stories. And it would have been nice to see the chiss in some fashion. Honestly, the big, sweeping story lines for me were always secondary to the background characters and the nitty-gritty details, like which company designed what starship and why. It was always fascinating to see how the minor characters interacted with the larger events, and of course, I could never get enough of the cross-sections books and wanting to see the inside of a Banking Clan frigate...

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Every time:
    1. Jedi and Republic are complacent and believe the Sith to be extinct
    2. The Sith, who were defeated long ago, corrupt someone and take over
    3. The Sith are betrayed by a high-up apprentice, saving the day

6. YoungSmitty2

YoungSmitty2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2017
    Honestly, I like the idea of The Force Unleashed with Vader having a secret apprentice to overthrow Palpatine and root out the growing rebellion, but the way they executed left me dissatisfied. It would have made much more sense if the plot had revolved around Starkiller actually infiltrating the Rebel Alliance during its budding days that consisted mostly of hit-and-run tactics against the Empire, slowly gaining the respect of several rebel leaders like Rahm Kota and Bail Organa with the success of his missions. However, Starkiller's real objective is to draw out the remaining Jedi still in hiding from Order 66 so Vader can capture them to execute them publicly with the rebel leaders on Coruscant. Over time, Starkiller slowly starts to develop bonds with Juno Eclipse and other rebel soldiers that join your crew (similar to the Ebon Hawk crew in KOTOR) up to the point of where he actually starts rebelling against Vader. However, one of the Emperor's Hands leak out the location of the secret headquarters for the rebels and Vader goes there to put **** down quickly. He kills all the Jedi there, (Even Kota, who I consider a badass in his own right) before confronting Starkiller. He gives his apprentice one last chance to repent for his actions by revealing the whereabouts of the other rebel cells and helping the Dark Lord destroy them. Here, you can have the two paths; For the Light Side ending, Starkiller stands up to his former master and delays him long enough for Bail and the others to escape back to Yavin IV without being followed at the cost of Starkiller's life. And for the Dark Side ending, Starkiller actually relents and helps Vader stop the rebel leaders from escaping the secret base. They take the leaders back to the Imperial Center for a public execution, however, when they report to Palpatine of the success of their mission, Vader betrays Starkiller by stabbing him in the back and walking out of the room with a cackling Palpatine to put an end to the rebellion, leaving Starkiller alone in his final moments to lament his actions before dying.

But that's just my opinion of what it could have been like.

7. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Not sure if I've already replied yet, but The Force Unleashed.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060O using Tapatalk

8. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    To me The Force Unleashed is like the Zann Consortium faction from Empire at War: Ridiculous and over the top, obvious wish fulfillment, but I can't but love it anyways.

9. YeahOkayCool

YeahOkayCool Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2017
    I'm glad someone cleaned up the Clone Wars chronology. Dear god, that was a mess.

10. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Only because TCW series ignored, or took events and characters from the rest of the EU and changed them, thus forcing ridiculous retcons on the EU. It was fine before then, better than canon is now in fact with TCW and ROTS.

11. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Anakin Solo

Read one book with him in it and couldn't stand him.

SiouxFan likes this.
  12. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007
    The yevetha if I have to pick anything. Other than that I want my canon back

13. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    All of the stupid over the top Imperial sociopaths---not that NuCanon really fixed that either.

14. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    X1 and X2. ****ing awful concept. [face_sick] I wish Karen Traviss would have gotten a chance to **** on them in one of her books or somehow cleverly retcon or invalidate their entire character profiles.

Anything post-April 25th 2014 is more or less non-canon to me and I don't follow it, but the storyline of Elite Squadron is something I'd happily throw away. I personally label it as Infinities even within the EU.

15. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    While X1 and X2 fly in the face of the previously established lore about Jedi and cloning, I do like the idea they were going for where one clone joins the good Rebels/Jedi and the other stays with the Empire. Also speaking of Karren Travis, here's another thing I'm glad isn't canon: any Karren Travis book after the first Republic Commando book.

16. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    Hhhahahaaha, but really what bothered me about X1 and X2 is that it does not mesh at all with the GAR stuff in those books. It's like yeah accepting the idea of X1 and X2 on some level is one thing, but I cannot accept them being in a position to train other clone troopers. It's really outrageous, they shouldn't even be able to share a room with Fett clones. Let alone show their faces.

This was supposedly going to happen with Sev in the cancelled Imperial Commando game. He was to have a hand in rebel affairs while everyone thought he's been out of the picture long ago. And as you probably know, the rest of Delta Squad members along with other former SO BDE get transferred into Vader's Imperial Commando Special Unit within the 501st. A central part of the game would have likely been some kind of scenario featuring a run-in with Sev and the player character. The player character probably being Boss or Sev's replacement.

Blackhole E Snoke and JediBatman like this.
  17. YoungSmitty2

YoungSmitty2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2017

You know that could actually still work. By the time we get to Rebels, it's been established that the rebellion is mostly consisted of guerilla fighters and hit-and-run tactics, so it would be cool to see Sev escape from Kashyyyk and go on to meet up with one of the first rebel cells to help train them to fight against the Empire with his tactical knowledge of Republic tactics, troop formations, etc.

But that's just my idea.

JediBatman likes this.
  18. SWTOR and Legacy (I like this comics but I think canonically they are very confusing)
    Everything else i like it

PD: The Dark Empire comic was published in 1995 so nobody knew that Vader was going to be chosen one so Palpatine could be revived

The comic is well written and very entertaining and thanks to this comic Lucas had inspiration to make more movies

I say this for people to understand more about this comic because I have seen many critics of the EU thanks for this comic when they still do not understand that this comic came out in 1995 at a time when Star Wars was dead

Harlock999 and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  19. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Dark Empire was published in 1991 - 1992, not 1995.

Harlock999 likes this.
  20. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    The stories where Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc Pit. It's about time that the fans accept that he died there. Wookiepedia still refuses to accept he's dead until it is confirmed.

21. You're right i'm sorry for my mistake

Harlock999 and Nom von Anor like this.
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Galaxy of Fear. D'vouran, a Vader clone, etc.

SithOverlord101 likes this.
  23. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Hm... it's a tie between the Vong and TFU 2 for me.

24. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Dark Empire. Didn't like the idea of Luke turning dark or Clone Palpatine. Especially didn't like the idea of Clone Palpatine trying to become some sort of Dark Force God by trying to drain the whole life-force of the galaxy. His Dracula-esc outfit and the way he's bent over 'scheming,' makes him look like he's going 'Muhahaha, Mofference!' while his cronies go "We bid you dark greetings" and "By the Emperor's bodypart!' :rolleyes:

Honorable mentions go towards demi-god creatures like Waru and that other one (can't think of it's name, think it begins with an A) that was 'locked' behind a bunch of black holes, that used to be a woman or something? Also TFU II. First one was OK, (didn't mind the idea of Vader having a secret apprentice) but Starkiller's whinging in the second one about Juno, GAH. Get over her already.

CT1138 and JediBatman like this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Welllll.

X1 and X2 were grown by the Kaminon method, I.e. Slowly, over a decade. It was the Spaarti method that generated mad clones if they were grown too quickly. I took it that Vader used a cross of Kaminoan and Spaarti methods for the Starkiller clones, which is why they were very unstable.

So I have little doubt the two clones could have happened, but perhaps the Kaminoans kept them from the Mandalorians present and the Jedi of course stopped further clones after they took control of the project.

It's annoying but it's a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unironically likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.