main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the overall opinion of Darth Sidious now after watching ROTS?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by r8hitman, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dagobah_Dweller

Dagobah_Dweller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    he had just let out a silent but deadly fart [face_laugh]

but seriously, I thinkit was because he could feel Anakin's anger, and it made him happy because he has control of Anakin now.

look at the way he smiles to Luke when he says "good...I can feel your anger.." in RotJ, he loves that he can piss Jedi off so bad

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The most evil guy in Cinema! [face_laugh]

3. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    look at the way he smiles to Luke when he says "good...I can feel your anger.." in RotJ, he loves that he can piss Jedi off so bad

Sounds to me like he just busted a n**.
    [face_laugh]

4. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    Before watching RotS, I really didn't care of Palpatine. After I saw, I got so much respect for Palpatine and Ian McDirmand.

5. Dagobah_Dweller

Dagobah_Dweller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Sounds to me like he just busted a n**

lol...well, that too...Jedi anger can be very arousing to a Sith [face_laugh]

6. GeneralDooku

GeneralDooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    In 2002, I would have never guessed Sidious would be battling it out with Mace and Yoda! And I am very impressed! He's just soooooo evil! And has a great presence and physical abilitis on top of that! And when you think about it, Sidious must have known Anakin was comming the whole time. And as Anikan got closer, Sidious knew he had to fake a lose in order for Anikan to save him. That's why, after killing three of the top council members without breaking a sweat, he just leaves Windu in order for his plan to work.

7. MasterMak55

MasterMak55 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2005
    I was dissapointed with Sidious Saber skills. Apart from that he rocked.

Yes, GL showed him own 3 Jedi Masters in seconds... but should have showed him doing special moves like that spin thing killing them, not simple slow motion Jab/Stab thing. And yes, I agree, he fried maces sorry little a..

8. 808Jedi

808Jedi Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    I really think AOTC really showed how strong Darth Sidious was. That whole movie was about his master plan. But he kept himself hidden, watching things unfold. So in ROTS, he steps in and runs the show. He is very powerful Sith. Beating you with mental and physical force...

9. angus_r

angus_r Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    As many have said, his greatest strength following RotS was, as it was before we saw RotS, his ability to manipulate situations and to take advantage of this manipulation. The fact that he was shown not to be all-powerful in his RotS duels combined with his power of/dependence on manipulation at the climax of RotJ, where the situation ran beyond his control: when Vader turned against him, he had no-one to manipulate to his advantage and he was ousted in a manner that, while unbelievable if one prescribes to the "Sidious is invincible" view (a god wouldn't let himself get thrown a hole!), fitted perfectly with the view that he was very powerful but vulnerable if/when events went against him.

Despite his ingenuity and previous run of form (shown to great effect in RotS), he WAS mortal, he HAD weaknesses and, once the force was no longer with him, he met his destiny :)

A

10. angus_r

angus_r Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    As many have said, his greatest strength following RotS was, as it was before we saw RotS, his ability to manipulate situations and to take advantage of this manipulation. The fact that he was shown not to be all-powerful in his RotS duels combined with his power of/dependence on manipulation at the climax of RotJ, where the situation ran beyond his control: when Vader turned against him, he had no-one to manipulate to his advantage and he was ousted in a manner that, while unbelievable if one prescribes to the "Sidious is invincible" view (a god wouldn't let himself get thrown a hole!), fitted perfectly with the view that he was very powerful but vulnerable if/when events went against him.

Despite his ingenuity and previous run of form (shown to great effect in RotS), he WAS mortal, he HAD weaknesses and, once the force was no longer with him, he met his destiny :)

A

11. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Impressive. Most impressive.

12. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    "What is the overall opinion of Darth Sidious now after watching ROTS?"

He did a good job in getting what he wanted accomplished.

13. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    as i already posted, Sideous is [face_devil] need i say more?

14. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

I don't why people think Sidious is weaker now. At the very least he battled Yoda, the greatest Jedi of the past 1000 years, to a draw. At best you can say he defeated Yoda. I don't count the Mace duel because it was too ambiguous.

15. padawan-yoda

padawan-yoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    I was very impressed especially when he killed 3 jedi in less than a minute

16. Darth_Sidious_1983

Darth_Sidious_1983 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    THE most powerful Force user ever, this apprentice of Darth Plagueis was and is. :)

17. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    When I saw ROTJ I hated Sids. Which is unusual--as I usually love villains. It wasn't Ian's fault. In retrospect, he did a great job. But Vader was my man and I could not believe anyone was more powerful or more evil than Vader. And then, to see Vader become a good guy. Bleh!!! But I was young and foolish.

But with Dark Empire, I became more interested in Palps. After TPM, I became a believer in Palps. AOTC furthered my admiration for Palps/Sids/Ian.

Now after ROTS, I admire Sids even more. The kidnapping/rescue, the theater, the revelation to Anakin, his killing the 3 Jedi masters. Then, he is so brilliant, even after he loses the swordfight to Mace and then loses his ability to shield his true appearance, he still wins the battle by seducing Anakin. That scene was great. Afterwards, his screwing over the Separatists, his proclamation of the Empire, his fight with Yoda.

I admire him more. His swordsmanship, even if he cannot beat Mace or Yoda in this art. In fact, that he is more fallible--as is everyone in the SW universe--only makes him more interesting. If he were all-powerful, he would be less interesting.

18. PalpatineRocks

PalpatineRocks Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2005
    My opinion of Sidious now is like.. WHOA.. he is now my absolute.. no question about it.. favorite character out of the enitre Star Wars saga...Sorry to say, but he makes Vader look like a whimp. Vader just does what Palpatine tells him to do. Palpatine is the blackest of the black....he is EVIL no room for the "still good left in him" stuff. Just pure evil. And btw took down one of the most annoying characters in star wars history .. Mace Windu. And even beat Yoda... and turned the republic into an empire on the side... all in his own little time. What other Star Wars character has done anything like that?

19. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Vader is still my favorite. Esp after the PT. But the handsome devil in my icon is up there. And my fear that he would still the show, like the Joker did in Tim Burton's Batman, was fortunately not realized. GL pulled it off. He made Palps the most evil mofo in the universe and it did not take away from Anakin/Vader.

20. DarthBizzle

DarthBizzle Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    Sidious basically showed Mace who the real BMF is when he killed those Jedi like they were battle droids in front of Mace.

21. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    sidious, like anakin, is more real to me now than ever before. lucas did a decent job of fleshing his character out more in ep 3 showing us that the man that rules a galaxy for 40 years is not beyond fear,losing,and luck. and i like sidious MORE now than ever because he finally seems real to me, like if i were in his shoes things could go similiar. i think it would have been a mistake for lucas to make sidious all powerful instead of all arrogant....the movie works much better on all angles now. sidious setting up dooku to lose to anakin to boost anakin's ego was a classic move....sidious getting bailed out by anakin at the last second against master windu was a very good move also as it made sidious appear human and not god-like.
    a human villian with all the flaws that go with it, is more attractive than some demi-god that is untouchable.

22. forceonline

forceonline Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2003
    I liked Sidious, his manipulative style, his voice and his arrogance. One thing I thought was a big letdown: his lightsaberskills. Nick Gillard said a lot about his fighting style. Supposedly it was going to be something new. Nothing of this his true. He is just another fighter who tries a stabbing motion a lot. Apart from that, nothing new. Somewhat a disappointment I think.

23. JediMasterGaraceDane

JediMasterGaraceDane Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Now after watching the movie and seeing how Mace disarms him...

Well after seeing the movie for the 5th time, it seems to me that Palps was far more poweful then i had imagined him to be. When i was little i didnt even think Palps was a force user. Now i think he rivals Master Yoda in force powers. He really didnt tear through MAce like i thought GL might have him do. But considering Mace was a powered lightsaber user and much younger it made sense. Not to mention Palps destroying Mace in a split second force test( after anakin cuts his hand off, lightning started and Mace quickly tries to stop it with his good hand but fails horrible), because Palps is FAR MORE stronger in the force then Mace.

Yoda basically wasnt "owned" by Sidious like everyone kept saying he would be...

During the Yoda/Sidious fight it was dead even. Yoda didnt get owned like everyone is still saying he did(i guess there are alot of Sith fans here lol). Palps was weak with a lightsaber thats why he kept Yoda away and using his force powers. In this fight he was on par or slightly better/worse then Yoda. It can go either way. He DID try to exit the office...why we will never know...maybe he was afraid of Yoda and his lightsaber or maybe just playing possum not sure. The fight was way awesome either way. Yoda's quick and sleakness helped him out as Sidious's Force powers and slightly more powered attacks helped him. Id say my impression of Sidious with this was that he was still Stronger then i thought he was.

Ae you disappointed in how he was portrayed?, did you expect him to show more darkside power?, was he everything you knew he would be or what?

I was but i wasnt dissappointed by how he was portrayed. He was a masterful puppetmaster, sly devil, masterful politician, and a surprisingly agile fighter. I did expect him to be even more darker then he was more emotion then what Ian gave Palps would of been great. Like with he was talking about Plaigus(spelling?)the wise, he could have smiled and been proud of what he possibly have done which was the killing of Plaigus. More anger and feeling when he killed Mace, and turned Anakin. And again he was much more surprising in the movie then what i thought he'd be. Which is a good thing. Makes for a great movie that way...not knowing what is to come.....

24. Lixsta

Lixsta Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I didnt like Sidious using a lightsaber at all. Killed my image of him from the old trilogies.

Overall I see him as less powerful as he was in the OT, but he was surely a wise man and great manipulator

25. Darth_Revan___

Darth_Revan___ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    "What is the overall opinion of Darth Sidious now after watching ROTS?"

he is powerful, a great manipulater and looks very stupid after his encounter with mace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.