main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the overall opinion of Darth Sidious now after watching ROTS?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by r8hitman, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    He fooled everyone. very smart. manipulated everyone in politics. Including padme, jar jar, bail and all the other senators of the republic. he is pure evil and he used the force to mask his evil.

he is the greatest and smartest sith that ever lived and he got revenge for them.

2. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    He?s a great manipulator. Simple as that. Ofcourse he?s got Jedi skills, which are nothing to sneeze at.

But above all, he made sure all his tracks were covered, just in time to turn Anakin. Give Anakin an offer he can?t refuse. But like the Jedi, he had no idea what love could do and probably felt that once a Sith, it would dominate one?s destiny..forever.

3. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    he started his plan very early if you noticed.

He knew that padme would be a problem for his future plans with anakin so he invaded naboo and wanted to make her sign the treaty to get her confused. eventually during AOTC he sent her with anakin to naboo (supposedly to protect her from the bounty hunter) so the vote to create a clone army could pass.

most people dont realize that he planned the attack on padme so she wouldnt be there during the vote.

he knew that padme was his greatest threat to succed.

and if you dont believe that. watch EP1 and EP2 again. once again, lucas is genius and great at writing.

4. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    I never thought of him as that powerful and smart when I used to watch ROTJ. I wasn't aware of his skills with a lightsaber. He just looked like an old man to me. But ROTS explained him very well. He is so Evvvvvvvvil

5. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I had respect for Darth Sidious before, but after ROTS my respect has increased a thousandfold. First, he gets a Jedi to get rid of his old apprentice, so that he can take another. Then, he destroys three Jedi in about five seconds, and gets a Jedi to kill the fourth, in the process getting a new apprentice. Moreover, it's all perfectly legal, because the Jedi are trying to kill him without the knowledge of the Senate or the Courts. So, he uses the Army he built in the last episode to destroy the Jedi, and uses his apprentice to kill the Coruscant Jedi _and_ the Separatists, and not only doesn't he lose any power, but he becomes Emperor in the process, receiving a standing ovation, _and_ he sends Yoda into exile, _and_ he gets his Death Star project going. Basically Sidious achieves _everything_ he wants to achieve, except for the maiming of Vader, for whom he had high hopes. But, even that is ultimately to his advantage, since Vader was plotting to unseat him.

6. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    darth sidious is awsome. sometimes I think he just made up his name "palpatine"

7. Kenobis_Babe

Kenobis_Babe Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    I never gave the Emperor much thought in the original trilogy because even when we see him you don't get the full picture of how truly evil he is.

Ironically, I always loved to hate Darth Vader because I thought he was such a bad a@@, but after the prequel, particularly ROTS Sidious really showed himself to be the true bad a@@ of the universe. Vader comes off as a whiney loser, but Palpatine was not only the mastermind behind everything but also proved he wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty in a brawl.

8. darthsith19

darthsith19 Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2004
    He is a total badass and an awesome Sith.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I had respect for Darth Sidious before, but after ROTS my respect has increased a thousandfold. First, he gets a Jedi to get rid of his old apprentice, so that he can take another. Then, he destroys three Jedi in about five seconds, and gets a Jedi to kill the fourth, in the process getting a new apprentice. Moreover, it's all perfectly legal, because the Jedi are trying to kill him without the knowledge of the Senate or the Courts. So, he uses the Army he built in the last episode to destroy the Jedi, and uses his apprentice to kill the Coruscant Jedi _and_ the Separatists, and not only doesn't he lose any power, but he becomes Emperor in the process, receiving a standing ovation, _and_ he sends Yoda into exile, _and_ he gets his Death Star project going. Basically Sidious achieves _everything_ he wants to achieve, except for the maiming of Vader, for whom he had high hopes.

Exactly. He's just an amazing character. He might not be as powerful a Force user as Yoda or those other guys, but he's incredibly talented at using everything at his disposal to maximum advantage. The senate chamber duel demonstrates so well how Palpy works. He knows Yoda is the better duelist, so he cleverly leads Yoda up into the Senate so he can stay far away from him and avoid getting impaled. He moves combat into his arena, and Yoda falls right into the trap.

Brilliant Palpy. Stupid Jedi. :p

10. LordBlack

LordBlack Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    He's still my fav character of all time. Super badasssssss!

11. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    As Palpatine, he seems so cool and level headed and then you realise......he's an absolute ******* lunatic!. As mad as a hatter, drunk on power, with quite a sense of humour!

12. BobaFett22

BobaFett22 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2005
    Sidious kicks a**... I thought he was great in ROTJ. He was so conniving and in control...well up to the last second of course.;)

In the PT, especially in ROTS he is truly great. He is very good with a lightsaber, he produces and uses force electricity like it's his job, and he uses his wit to destroy and trick like no other!!![face_devil]

13. darth_sic

darth_sic Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    the dark side of the force is strong with him. His lightsaber skills are superior than any jedi scum. he is the most powerful sith lord of all time. He still is the same to me.

14. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    He is to me, the ultimate character of all the SW movies. Pure genius, absolute manipulator. Total evil, played by an absoultely wonderful actor. No greater character could be created. I'll give Luca$($$$) credit for that much anyway.

15. Darth-Calamitous

Darth-Calamitous Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    Well after seeing him in Episode 6 beforehand I already knew he wasn't *all that* lol

But I liked how he was in the movie, apart from how easily the Jedi with Mace died.

16. electrobc1

electrobc1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 15, 2003
    After ROTS, he wasn't some super-villian anymore, he was just a bad guy.

He was intelligent and cunning, but hardly the all-powerful sith master I was expecting.

I'm not giving him any credit for the three useless jedi Mace brought with him. Really, every "minor" jedi master character has died like a punk. Yodas and Obi-Wans are hard to come by in the jedi order it seems.

So, he can fight, but nothing was so amazing about him that would make me think Mace didn't have him beat, or that Yoda was at all inferior to him somehow. Yoda couldn't finish Dooku either, but I don't think that many folks would say Dooku could beat Yoda.

17. Darth_Holgous

Darth_Holgous Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    And Sidious' remarks about Darth Plagueis ability to create live (by manipulating the Midichlorians) are a hint that the whole master plan has been in place even longer. Maybe Sidious created Anakin on his own, or maybe the master plan was already Plagueis' and Sidious carried it on.

18. Obi_Will_Kenobi

Obi_Will_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2004
    Gosh...he is one self confessed BADASS. Man, just watching episode one again makes me squirm in my seat....thinking what will happen to all who know him a few years on.

He IS the real baddie of the movie. You can quote me on that. Although he does seem pretty 'weak' and 'feeble' during the Windu duel, but it is unaminous that he was just faking it to further cement Anakin's downfall. Anyway...... the Yoda vs. Sidious....however epic it may be, Sidious was pretty lame in that fight.

Quote taken from Sidious hanging from the railing....

"Nyghhh...hyyyyraaaghhh. Hehehehehehe."

FREAK

19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Palpatine has always been my favorite character since ROTJ. I remember back when I was a kid and would have the conversations with my friends as to "why don't Palpatine and Yoda have lightsabers" and always coming up with answers like "they're so powerful in the force they don't need them." I mean back when you first saw lightning shoot from Sidious' (then only known as the "Emperor") you just knew it was something nobody else could do. Then AOTC rolls around and we see Dooku doing it as well, and between AOTC and ROTS the success rate of using force lightning becomes 50% (with half the time it being deflected back at Dooku, arched over into Palpatine's face, or pushed against Palpatine almost sending him to the floor of the senate chamber). Overall the prequels IMO completely undermined my ideas of Sidious' power. I mean he was the product of 1,000 years of Sith training in my eyes. For 1,000 years the Sith were being trained for one purpose, and the final product dissapointed me in that his prowess wasn't anything special. That Mace had him beat and that during his fight with Yoda it was more of happy chance that Sidious too didn't fall.

However, while I felt his strength was undermined in ROTS, his cunning was not. It seemed that even though Sidious was a child playing with a toy as far as his combat skills were concerned when compared to what the Sith and Jedi must have been like back when they were actively at war, he still managed to do what those Sith could not. He capitalized on the laxness of the Republic and the Jedi. Overconfidence led to the downfall of the jedi and the republic as well as later Sidious' empire (an irony I now feel adds to the story). Palpatine didn't overcome his enemies through military might but through manipulation. To compensate for his physical weakness he manipulated midichlorians (I felt that Anakin was indeed made by Sidious) to create the greatest force wielder the galaxy had ever seen to sit at his right hand. [The nature of Anakin as being Sidious's creation I feel adds greatly to the story and the idea of destiny vs. choice as he was created for the sole purpose of serving the will of Sidious and in the end he chose not to and in doing so fulfilled the prophecy, I mean Lucas has even stated that the OT was about going out and making your own destiny]. While I was dissapointed about Sidious' lack of strength, I think that only added to the idea of just how great of a manipulator he is and that even after 1,000 years of Sith preparation the Sith are only as strong as the leading jedi, their cunning allowed them to once again conquer the republic and all but destroy their sworn enemies completely, a feat no other Sith had done.

20. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    ^^^^^^

I agree with all but one.........I don't, and will not believe that Plagus or Sidious created Anakin. That's just too out there. The Force itself did, I believe, but not them.

21. yoda900

yoda900 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I do have an answer to one question about the faking it part and Palps being able to beat mace, or at least continue to fight him longer, even if Ani did not show.

2 things I noticed.

1. Mace got Palpatine to lose his saber so it appeared that he was lost, but let us not forget one very important fact; Palpatine ignighted a lightsaber against Yoda much later, and at that time He thought all the jedi were dead, indicating he had 2 lightsabers on his at all times. Thus he could have contintued a lightsaber duel against Mace any time he felt he needed to.

2. I very carefully watched Palpatine the entire time a few tiems. (sounds reduduntant, eh?) anyway, I kept noticing he always had his fingers in position for lightning usage, even while Anikin was trying to talk Mace down from killing him.
    He was ready at any moment to use the lightning again. Mace could not kill him as long as he shot the lightning cuz he would have to pretty much block.

Though I would say that Mace could have killed him here becasue I believe Palps knew anikin would save him, and put a lot of trust so he didn't try anything. He took a great risk , but he didn't have to.

He did indeed fear Yoda though, and I do believe had Yoda not fallen to the floor he was actaully taking control of the fight at that point. Yoda was hurt by falling all that way, he would have needed to walk it off, then climb all the way back up there , and at that point face sidious who is a near equal keeping him very busy enough that a few extra clone troopers could just shoot him down.

22. Darth_Holgous

Darth_Holgous Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    Not conclusive enough. May he didn't have 2 sabers with him all the time. He could have replaced the lost saber with a spare saber after the fight with Mace.

23. Lt_Murgen

Lt_Murgen Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    All great adventure movies have great villians. Without a villian, the movie flops. Just look at the Batman series. As the villians got campier, the movies got worse.

Sidious was a GREAT villian. Possibly the best.

24. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    He's the MOST powerful Force-Wielder in the Galaxy...

25. Darth_Takedown

Darth_Takedown Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2004
    My overall opinion of Sidious is still that he is one bad dude. I think that he has mastered the dark side as well as any Jedi has mastered the light side of the Force.

I agree with those that believe Sids was throwing the fight against Mace knowing that Anakin would be rushing to his aid. Ask yourselves this: Which Jedi would Anakin have loved to take a swing at more than any other? What more perfect choice of bait could the Dark Lord use to lure Anakin into finally crossing that line?

Sidious is not invincible, however. His battle with Yoda proved that a Jedi could create opportunities to defeat Sidious. Unfortunately, no PT era Jedi other than Yoda had the combination of dueling skills, force-using skills, and thinking skills needed to beat him. And poor Yoda, who was well past his prime by now, had the ability to dish it out but couldn't take it in return as well as he could have in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.