main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the overall opinion of Darth Sidious now after watching ROTS?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by r8hitman, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilBastardAnakin

LilBastardAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2004
    He's a big weasel and one on one is not near as powerfull as I expected him to be. He's a notch below Mace and Yoda in fair one on one combat with no time limits, clones and so on around. They had to make him show some weakness otherwise if wouldnt be believable that a 40 something year old cripple in a suit missing one of his mechanical arms could simply dispose of him so easily after just getting his butt kicked by his own son.

Sidious is a great liar and manipulator, he should work in stock market telemarketing scams or amway.

2. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    Darth Sidious was not as powerful as I always thought he was. I admit, I always knew Yoda was more powerful then him but I didn't think Mace was. Mace beat him in their duel and would of won if it wasn't for Anakin. Yoda owned Sidious the whole duel and Sidious even tried to flee. Sidious was lucky he had ground beneath him after that last lightning backfired on them both, wheras Yoda didn't and fell to the bottom. If it wasn't for that, Yoda would of killed Sidious, that simple. George even said Anakin could beat him before the suit, so that's another person that could beat him. Sidious is definetely one of the most arrogant character in the SW universe, as he thinks he's so powerful, when really, he's nothing more than a cloaked stooge with nasty dentures. I will take even more pleasure when seeing that wicked man plunge down that reactor shaft to his ultimate doom. (I know about DE, but I no longer accept that as it goes against everything George has done with the six films)

3. Han_Solo_Fan_03

Han_Solo_Fan_03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    After ROTJ, I've always thoguht that Palpatine was a cooler character then Darth Vader. ROTS has definitely proved this for me. I look at him as the definition of badass. He is my favorite villain, and my fourth favorite Star Wars chracter.

4. Yoda_he_is

Yoda_he_is Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2005
    He is more human. He is defeated by Mace and Yoda could beat him too, but his main powers are manipulation.

5. Lord_Diesel

Lord_Diesel Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    After playing a lot of KOTOR 1 and 2, I think Palpatine would kick the crap out of Malak, Traya, Sion, and Revan!

Palpatine/Sidious knew what he was doing. Every move he made was meticulously planned. I applaud the intelligent villain!

6. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    After ROTJ, I've always thoguht that Palpatine was a cooler character then Darth Vader. ROTS has definitely proved this for me. I look at him as the definition of badass. He is my favorite villain, and my fourth favorite Star Wars chracter.

who are the other 3 ??

and could someone please change that " before u kill me i want you to know" line up there ?? Nat looks so inocent in that pic and it sounds so cruel ¡¡ :_| :_| :_|

7. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    I?ve known it for a while but this movie makes it very clear that Palpatine/Sidious is a master manipulator and in my opinion, the best villain in any film. I?m amazed by some of the things he can orchestrate and the way they work out almost flawlessly. From the Invisible Hand sequence all the way to tricking Anakin into believing that the Jedi are no good and turning him into a twisted Darth Vader, he was an amazing, manipulative, and cocky guy. Palpatine/Sidious was fantastic in the PT. He couldn?t have been any better.

8. Charth_Maul

Charth_Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2001
    Palpatine in ROTS and ESB doesn't look like he did in ROTJ...they could have done a little better with the makeup I think. His teeth are weird and his face too pudgy.

9. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Here ya go;)

10. Texas_Jedi

Texas_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 1999
    Darth Sidious is a great force user, cunning manipulator & he's deadly as hell with a lightsaber.

That being said, the dark side is not stronger. He lost the duel to Mace & ran from Yoda the entire time.

Deadly & a powerful Sith he is.

Invincible he is NOT.

11. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    -I'm sick of this "he faked it" crap. Just face it, Palps underestimated Mace! You really think Palps intended to have his lightsaber knocked outta his hands? No. (And don't even start w/ that whacked out thoery that Palps sensed Anakin and therefore threw the fight...Anakin was no where near Palps office when he got knocked on his a**) He faked it AFTER Anakin arrived, but beforehand Palps was trying to kill Mace.

-Yeah Yoda did MOVE to escape the Senate Pods, but what would you have him do?! Palps had the "high ground" and thus was able to hurl more pods coming from the top to bottom...whereas the great Master Yoda was able to STOP a pods momentium (in mid-air) and hurl it back up AGAINST THE FORCE OF GRAVITY. In addition, Yoda dodged 3 or 4 pods successfully whereas Palps barely survives avoiding just the one Yoda throws back as he found himself dangling with his legs flailing about.

-I liked the portrayal of Palpatine...it showed that even the most powerful have flaws. And yes Mace didn't win (per se) but he certainly didn't lose...he got screwed (ala Anakin) which is the Sith way...

12. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    When I saw the film, I was very impressed by his force powers and lightsaber skills (which we had never seen before). But after hearing how some people saw the Emperor as less powerful, I'm not certain that I'm entirely satisfied with how he was portrayed in the film. He's my favorite character, but I never thought he was a god or all-powerful since he was killed in ROTJ. The cast and crew have all said the Emperor is incredibly powerful. I don't know if some people had exaggerated or unrealistic ideas of his abilities. Before the film came out, someone I knew said the Emperor's death in ROTJ is going to seem completely ridiculous after seeing how powerful he is in ROTS (The person's opinion was based on spoiler information). Maybe the fact that lightning does not seem to work all the time diminishes the Emperor's mystique in some people's eyes. Some people may have seen ROTJ and thought no Jedi could stop force lightning. I really enjoyed seeing how good the Emperor is with a lightsaber, but I'm not sure that I like the idea of force lightning not being 100% effective.

13. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    He stills an awesome villain IMO.

I don't think he's the best with a lightsaber but his manipulation skills are great. He managed to become Chancellor then later on Emperor, gained all of the Senator's trust, had almost all of (Not counting the "surviving Jedi" in the EU of course.) the Jedi Knights murdered, got the Chosen One over to his side, etc. Plus all this time he was a Sith Lord and his enemies the Jedi Knights didn't fully know he was one until it was pretty much too late.

I prefer his manipulation skills to his saber skills. I still enjoyed watching Sidious fight with a lightsaber though and it was still very cool. Yoda vs. Sids was one of my favorite ROTS scenes.

He's not invincible, but he sure is a genius.

I always thought he was creepier in ROTJ (Although the Opera scene and the scene were Palps reveals himself were pretty creepy.)But most of my favorite Sidious/Palpatine scenes are in ROTS.

So my verdict is: Not 100% all-powerful, but he's still a very intelligent bad guy.

14. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    My opinion is that he is brilliant. He made the Jedi pay for their actions a thousand years ago. How? He made them fight in a war that was just a big setup, he clouded the Jedi's vision. He was their biggest enemy and he was right in front of them. He bull****ed Anikan to think the Jedi were the real bad guys and made him think he would help him save Pame.
    It's a shame the Jedi didn't have a mind like that on their side.

Good Stuff

15. DroidGeneral

DroidGeneral Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    I really didn't consider him evil in the first two, but now I really look at his as an evil S.O.B.

16. poker

poker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2005
    George even said Anakin could beat him before the suit, so that's another person that could beat him.

He never said that. He said Anakin had the potential to beat him later (to become 2 times more powerful), but someone called Obi Wan got in the way.

17. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I think we have enough of this discussion happening in other threads.

18. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Let's try to keep this discussion about the mystique/image surrounding the emperor and how this has changed from when we first see him in ROTJ to now after seeing him in ROTS.

Mentioning fights is one thing, but lets not make Sidious vs. ________ the focal point of this thread.
    It's about him and his image.

[face_peace]

(Thanks RebelScum ;) )

19. Luke_Kenobi1

Luke_Kenobi1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2005
    He's a geniuss , he deserves to be Emperor after all he did for it.

20. MacetheCouncillor

MacetheCouncillor Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    A well-played and well thought out character who serves his function in the story great.

He is not the godlike and invincible character that some people make him out to be (no Star Wars character is), but he doesn't need to be in order to make a good villain.

21. MacetheCouncillor

MacetheCouncillor Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Yes, I bet some people think that, but to believe that lightning was impossible to stop was always a huge assumption on their part (in fact, we learned that it wasn't already in Episode II), and an incorrect one, at that.

22. Darth001

Darth001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2005
    Seeing him in ROTS, showed what a mockery his defeat in ROTJ was. With his Ligtsaber skills, force powers and Sith Lightning, he's arguably the most powerful character in the entire saga but now to rewatch him so easily killed in ROTJ, helplessly lifted off his feet and thrown down a reactor shaft in a few seconds seem so ridiculous.

23. Grievous_Unleashed

Grievous_Unleashed Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    Well we see is the arch-manipulator and totally outwits the jedi. We see he is very good at acting, especially in his fight with mace where it becomes apparant he faked the whole thing after zapping the old jedi. However, this apparant invincibility is nicely contrasted when we see Yoda beating him for most of the fight and it becomes clear why Sidious hides in the shadows.

I always thought it was kind of similar to Voldemort and Dumbledore in HP- Yoda is The Only One Sidious ever Feared.

24. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    At first I was going to flame the harry potter comparison, but you are right except that dumbledor knows of Valdemort, while yoda just finds out about Sidious when it's too late.

25. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Sidious is probably the smartest evil villian character in the history of cinema. He was patient, a supreme actor, successfully played both sides against each other, utilized his enemies weaknesses, took advantage of his apprentices strengths, and generally played galactic tennis like a pro.

Sidious was serious, he wasn't playing around. He was on a mission.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.