main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT what is yoda good for?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by texjrwillerjr, Jul 12, 2017.

1. texjrwillerjr

texjrwillerjr Jedi Knight

Dec 13, 2015
    yes at first glance it look silly question but is it really? let's see what have he done; he trained jedis for 600 year, he was the cause of two brilliant jedis become powerfull sit lords, so he was the real reason breaking the balance. if he efforted about anakin as much as palpi may be he would keep the peace and balance but no he just talked and not trust to boy. please tell me what is yoda really good for? and my second questions, being trainer or teacher makes one leader automatically?

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Yoda is a good source of animal protein plus other dairy nutrients. But crucially it is full of probiotics. Little micro-organisms that live in your body.

Disclaimer - the makers of Yoda, Greek Yoda, Froda etc have never even heard of midiclorians.

DrDre, heels1785 , Seagoat and 2 others like this.
  3. texjrwillerjr

Dec 13, 2015
    ha ha. your are so funny!

4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    No offense but this thread, because of all its references to the PT should be moved to the Saga section, IMHO.

Short answer: He brought valuable and easy-to-understand philosophy and spirituality to the Original Trilogy that otherwise would have remained rather mundane without him.

Sith Lord 2015 and Avnar like this.
  5. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    1. Is this in English?

2. He talks funny, and that in and of itself is enough to keep him around.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  6. texjrwillerjr

Dec 13, 2015
    what part is wrong about english? are you shakespeare? is this forum part of hamlet? and do you have any answer about my questions?

7. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Yoda was 900 years old when he passed on, which made him an amazing source of knowledge and wisdom for all Jedi. And what's more, he was very good at his role in helping teach the future Jedi. But that doesn't make him any more omnipotent than the rest of the Order; he is still going to make mistakes. As for those who have fallen, you can't put that squarely on the shoulders of Yoda. Sentient beings make choices throughout their lives and it is those choices that lead them on the paths they ultimately wind up on. Dooku was Yoda's apprentice but it was his choices that resulted in him becoming a Sith, not anything Yoda personally did. Yes part of those choices was Dooku's disagreement with the way things were going in the Jedi Order, but Yoda is only one member of the Council; there are many other Jedi Masters also making policy in the order, not just Yoda. As for Anakin, it was his attachment and needs for Padme that resulted in him becoming Darth Vader. This attachment is contrary to the Jedi Code and Palpatine used this to his advantage to "mentor" the boy through it by getting close and offering his support. Playing the long game so Anakin would be receptive to Sith teachings once Palpatine thought he was powerful enough. Did the Jedi Council keep Anakin at arms length? Yes they did, Yoda included. But again it was Anakin's choices even with the manipulation of Palpatine that lead to the path Anakin ended up on.

theraphos and Resic like this.
  8. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Making Dooku his padawan was probably the most damaging to Yoda's resume.

Which leads to the larger question. Why is it that when a Jedi notices the flaws in the Jedi Order, the answer is to become a Sith. If Dooku had just started his own cult, I mean order, the likes of Qui Gon and Anakin might have followed. Dooku, Qui Gon, Anakin. That's a pretty strong start to a new order.

Yoda tried to throw out some advice to get the Order back on track. Unfortunately, there is no try.

9. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

If you want people to answer your questions, you could at least take a minute to read your own post though before sending it. Sentences and names start with capitals letters. Sit Lords? No matter what your native language is, you should get those things right. As it is your post is painful to read.

10. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Not trying to be nitpicking, but Blackhole E Snoke is right. Rechecking your text before posting does make things easier for the reader to understand. It's not asking too much to spend those extra few seconds for the sake of legibility.
    What is Yoda good for? As a Jedi master and teacher I guess his role is pretty significant, even though he did make mistakes and misjudged some of his students. Neither teachers nor masters are ever 100% perfect.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  11. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Why are we nitpicking Yoda's sentence structure?

12. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Inappropriate.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Communication is a two-way street, guys. To hear, one must listen. It's not that hard to understand the message of the OP, as you've already proven.
    That said, I think it's alright to give fellow posters advice now and then. Would it hurt to not be snarky about it, though?

On topic, I think Yoda is good for about three million.

:p

Seriously, he is a very knowledgeable and wise Jedi Master and a great asset to the light side of the conflict. Noone is above making mistakes. Everyone fails now and then. Yoda never stops fighting the good fight, though. That pays off in the end.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  14. Binary sunset hermit

Binary sunset hermit Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2017
    Patience is what Yoda was good for. Without it he would not have been able to train Luke when things were all but lost.

Yoda was also good at taking care of Palpatine's Guards in ROTS and of course getting x wings out of slimy mudholes. :)

15. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Yoda was also very good at getting what he wanted from R2D2, Luke showed great patience in putting up with Yoda while he was alone, desperate need of help in a dangerous jungle and a small being was rummaging through his little droid. Patience great he has.

16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Good question.

Nothing in the movies says this but after becoming a spirit was Yoda able to cloud the Emperor's ability to see the future? Or more precisely cloud what was going to happen to with Luke and Vader to make the final duel on the Death Star 2 fair?

The Sith cloud the Jedi's use of the force in the prequels.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It shows that no Jedi Master is perfect. It is the failing of the student to adhere to the principles of the Jedi Order, not the Master who teaches.

Dooku joined the Sith because they had the answers and the means to fix the problems of the Republic. Same with Anakin.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  18. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I'm pretty sure this is a bait thread but I'm going to reply anyway, because I want to give a fair chance.

How was Yoda responsible for either Anakin or Dooku's turn, assuming those are the Jedi turned Sith that you mean? Dooku became dissatisfied with the Republic on his own and chose to seek the Sith out. He'd been a Jedi Master for decades long before he turned evil, Yoda had nothing to do with that.
    As for Anakin, if you want to blame someone else for his fall, Palpatine is a better choice. It was his efforts to seduce Anakin that helped him fall, not to mention Anakin's own choices. Yoda may have been blind to what was happening, but he is much less to blame than many others. He certainly didn't break the balance. If anything, Palpatine and Vader did that.

Since your questions mostly apply to the PT, I'm not sure why you put it here, except for the reason I mentioned at the top of my post. texjrwillerjr

19. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Yoda's main contribution to the Saga is he has really strong faith and commitment to the Force and serving it with dedication and therefore largely abstaining from worldly goods and considerations. His main, understandable flaw is that he has trouble convincingly expressing his sincere but rather extreme views to his students.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yoda is a tragic figure in my opinion. He spends the remainder of his life on a swamp planet knowing his Jedi Order has been decimated. The Jedi made mistakes and he has to live with that irreversible regret. He became jaded because of this, namely his reluctance to train Luke given what happened with Anakin. But deep down, he holds onto his faith in the Force. It's that faith that saw him become a Force ghost.

21. texjrwillerjr

Dec 13, 2015
    I belive you are wrong. Who is the leader of Jedi order? Who is the real responsible what ever any jedi does? And, as I read Yoda blamed hisself about Dooku. These are facts. And if the Dooku lost his belive to Republic why didnt Yoda convince him, why didnot relieve him? If Yoda can not protect one of his masters from Sith aproac what can he do? Faith is enough for being leader of Jedi Order?

Palpi is not guilty as much as Mace Windu and Master Yoda. If those two belived Anakin at first and supported him at least Yoda supported Luke, may be Palpi would not find have a chance to approaching and manipulating Anakin. So, in my belive Master Yoda is guilty of loosing Dooku and Anakin.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda isn't the leader of the Jedi Order. He's a senior member, same with Mace and the other Council members.

Yoda didn't know that Dooku fell to the dark side. When he left, he was pretending to be a Jedi and claimed that he was a political idealist. That's why they don't believe that he's behind the assassination attempts. Much less will go to war.

Yoda didn't entirely support Luke either. Remember that whole speech about not being able to train him and pointing out his short commings to Obi-wan and Luke. The thing with Palpatine wasn't the fault of the Jedi, but in the Sith Lord's choosing to covet him and Anakin being loyal to people.

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Agreed

Gettin' extraterritorial and doin' dat

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    As the elected Grand Master and leader of the council, Yoda is in charge of the Jedi Order. But like you said, who is responsible for what any Jedi does? The answer is that very same Jedi. Even if Yoda blamed himself for Dooku's fall, Dooku is ultimately responsible for making the choices that he made. He wanted power elsewhere and I don't see what Yoda could have done to change that. As for Anakin, how did Yoda treat him unfairly? He didn't promote Anakin to master, but Anakin surely wasn't the first Jedi to be denied the rank. He hadn't earned it and that wasn't Yoda's fault. Maybe Mace and Yoda were a bit harsh, but they had to be for the sake of the overall Jedi Order, not just Anakin.