main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorite lightsaber duel? :)

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Logan La Marco, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Logan La Marco

Logan La Marco Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2016
    Mine is Anakin vs Obi-Wan in Episode III

2. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The music for the duel? (since this is in the music board)

1. ROTJ
    2. TFA
    3. ESB
    4. ROTS
    5. TPM
    6. AOTC

ANH doesn't have any music for the duel, hence its absence.

3. Larsonator

Larsonator Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2016
    If we're talking music:

1. ROTS
    2. TPM
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    5. TESB
    6. AOTC

4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    If we're talking music, then Obi-Wan VS Anakin definitely. The horns of Battle of the Heroes interlaced with the chorus of Duel of the Fates was absolutely fantastic and powerful. Truly spoke to the epic scale that was this duel.

5. Sebulba's Vendetta

Sebulba's Vendetta Jedi Padawan

Jan 2, 2016
    Obi-Wan vs Anakin hands down. The best music and the best duel.

6. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Music wise, my favourite is actually from the duel between Mace Windu and Palpatine. Anakin vs Obi-Wan is certainly fantastic, but in the context of the film I love how the darker themes merge with the newer themes, and it all fits the changes in scene throughout the battle.The cues are right on, quiet in the perfect sections and ominous in the perfect sections.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  7. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Oh yeah, forgot about Windu vs. Palpatine. That one's really cool, especially the fanfare that plays when Anakin intervenes and Palpatine kills Windu.

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Music wise, this would be my ranking:

1. The Duel with Count Dooku - I adore the subtle use of percussion in AOTC to indicate villainy, and the duel theme takes this to a great conlcusion.
    2. Sidious Vs. Mace - I love the use of the Emperor's theme, and the music during the first part of the duel, though it's a shame it was cut down in the film a bit.
    3. The Death of Dooku - I like the build-up, and the frantic nature of the duel, before the very good ending stinger.
    4. Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan/Battle of the Heroes - I prefer the first half of the track, minus the chanting, more, and the track has a great pace to it.
    5. Duel of the Fates - A classic choral theme, showing the grandeur and ferocity of the duel.
    6. Qui-Gon and Darth Maul Meet - I love the action variation of Qui-Gon's underused theme.
    7. The Luke/Vader ROTJ theme - The part where Luke angrily attacks Vader has very mournful chanting, nicely underling how Luke is giving in to his anger
    8. Grievous Vs. Obi-Wan - I like Grievous' theme, and this is the most action filled variant. I am slightly sad that the theme is lacking in the chase and fist-fight segment, though the track there is really nice as well.
    9. The Luke/Vader ESB theme - Not really that memorable to me, besides the unused action section of Yoda's theme and the slow unused build-up.
    10. The TFA duel - I don't remember any of the music during the actual duel, and I really dislike the reuse of the Burning Homestead track without the Imperial climax, as it makes the end of the track feel really muted.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  10. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Music wise that's my favorite too.

Howard Hand likes this.
  11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Obi Wan/Vader duel in ANH.

Just kidding.

I'd say for me it's between the Obi Wan vs. Anakin/Vader duel in ROTS, some of my favorite bit of SW score-very dramatic, and really encompasses what a pivotal turning point this is in the saga.

or

The score during the final part of the Luke vs. Darth Vader duel in ROTJ. I love the emotional tone of that score after "NEVERRRR!" Really represents what a crucial moment in the saga it is. Father vs. son, in a final fight. After all these years, right here, right now the time of Darth Vader and the rule of the Sith must come to an end.

I do like duel of the fates, but IMO compared to these it's just a little "too perfect," if you get what I mean by that.

12. NightWalker1138

NightWalker1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    We are talking about the music in the duels, right? If that is the case... mmm... I think my favorite is Battle of Heroes, the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan. I think the music is superb. Williams' chords create a tense ambient which grows up to an epic feeling more a more every second. The other day I was listening the movie in audio, with headphones, and, even without the images, I got chills over my back.

It's like that music tells us all the sentiments accumulated along the prequels are exploiting at the last moment. While you're watching the duel and listening the background music, you can sense the destiny of the galaxy is at stake, walking by a thin string. You can feel how two friends have to divide their ways and confront between them like they was isolated in the farther place of the universe (they are, indeed!). You can feel that is an unique and special moment in the entire story of Star Wars. And you can feel many things which are difficult to explain.

Yes, definitively, without despise the other musics (all of them are amazing), I think there is something which connect with our inner feelings in the music of Battle of Heroes. I can't listen that song without feel a tremble withing.

13. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    ROTS too many to list but the most unforgettable is Battle of Heroes.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Duel of the Fates
    The Dark Side Beckons

Favourite music and favourite duels as well.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Since we are focusing on the music in the duels here, I would say A Jedi's Fury (aka The Dark Side Beckons) is the best. It's just so haunting and well-done. I think the earlier section of that duel has some great music as well even if it is mostly a medley of The Emperor's Throne Room and The Force Theme.
    Anakin vs. Obi-Wan (aka Heroes Collide) is truly amazing and tense while being fast-paced and exciting (plus it has one of my favorite uses of The Force Theme ever when Obi-Wan and Vader come to a standstill with their force pushes). Battle of the Heroes is channeling a lot of what Duel of the Fates accomplished while being much more tragic in tone and amazing at that.
    Duel of the Fates is amazing, I think we can all agree on that. The choir really makes this track for me, and the melody feels extremely frantic and unpredictable at times.

16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Battle of the Heroes.