main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What is your favorite prequel film

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Fatal_R_097, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith. It’s a really solid film, both for the Star Wars saga and cinema in general. The emotion, the drama, the action, the romance, the science fiction... it has it all and does it all masterfully. It’s also looks and sounds incredible.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Exactly! I rework my Star Wars preferences a lot, but AOTC has been a constant favorite since that very first viewing.

3. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    This is a hard question. They all have been my favourite at some time and they work best as a trilogy.

TPM is a beautiful film on its own, it's got a family mood that's unique in the series. I especially love Liam Neeson and Pernills August together, they brought a great sense of maturity to their character's relationship. The movie also says a lot of good things and both Naboo societies coming together and overcoming the prejudice on both sides is a good message to young viewers in particular. The self-contained nature of TPM works well; it stops it from reaching the depth of the following two though, I think.

ROTS is the culmination of everything that started in TPM. It is a great tragedy that is both emotionally and intellectually engrossing. That movie really shines in its editing. Anyone who claims ANH was "saved" in the editing by everyone but not Lucas should watch ROTS again. There are plenty of great juxtapositions... the Order 66, the finals battles on Coruscant and Mustafar, the birth/rebirth/death scene at the end, but also self-contained gems like the rumination scene. They all develop their strongest impact from the editorial However, I think ROTS works so well (not only, but to a large part) because AOTC paved the way so well.

That leads us to my heart's favourite: Episode II. This is the closest Star Wars ever gets to being a character study and I think Lucas really got to the soul of a brooding teenager. There is an authencity to Anakin that's both fascination and unsettling. For all its eccentrities, AOTC feels the deepest and most human of the six and that in a large part due to Anakin. But not exclusively, what's interesting is that all three lead characters struggle with similar things. Anakin is mostly challenged on a micro level, when his personal needs come at odds with Jedi duties and it's mostly played on the emotional spectrum. Padmè's struggle is similar, one of political responsibility vs. a longing for intimacy, but it is explored from a more rational stance. She tries to solve the situation with her brain, not her heart. Ironically, both approaches came to the same conclusion when confronted with their seeming death. Obi-Wan is challenged a bit more on a macro side, with his investigation and finally Dooku questioning the functionality of and his allegiance to the Jedi. It's not as deep as Anakin's arc but he also moves much of the plot along, which is great on its own. The staged crises of a master puppeteer what will ultimately kill liberty.

I also love the unique blending of location shooting, miniature work and digital cinema. Apart from some minor shortcomings, the movie stills looks beautiful - both feeling alien and strangely familiar. It is almost like a surreal dream that somehow develops into some kind of a nightmare for the characters that they haven't even quite realized themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I love it.

4. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    That's the key. It's really a three-part story -yet each chapter is uniquely different.

Always a pleasure to read your posts, btw!

5. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Grew up with the OT. Was 13 when I saw "Star Wars". Loved the prequel Films even more. ROTS is my favorite SW film out of all the GL movies.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    ROTS, no question. Classic SW.

themoth and Count Yubnub like this.
  7. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Revenge of the Sith is my favorite of the trilogy and perhaps my favorite film of all time. It’s amazing how well Lucas is able to capture the emotion and intensity of both Anakin’s fall to the Dark Side and the transition from the Republic to the Empire. Order 66 is probably my favorite scene in the whole saga and ROTS also has my favorite opening and score (closely followed by TPM) of the saga. For some reason, the musical transitions between the Coruscant scenes has always stood out to me. I think they have a sense of foreboding to them. The movie is sort of like watching a car crash in slow motion. It’s so hard to look away. I can’t sing its praises enough.

The tougher question is which of the films I’d rank second and third. Recently, I’ve been enjoying Clones more than Menace on my rewatches but I admire TPM’s...authenticity? I don’t know if that’s the right word. Someone else in this thread said it was uncompromising, which I agree with. No matter how I’d rank the films, all three of the films are beautiful and enriched the Star Wars universe (and made the OT retroactively better imo).

8. screamsinthevoid

screamsinthevoid Jedi Knight

Nov 26, 2017
    My favorite has to be The Imax cut of Attack Of The Clones , I saw it at Navy Pier in Chicago in November of 2002 and it was an awesome experience . Biggest screen I have ever seen a movie on and when the Silver starship came overhead at the start , it shook the whole auditorium .

9. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
  10. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
  11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think Revenge of the Sith is my favorite. But a huge part of its success is how the prequel trilogy works as one story and builds over three movies to create the tragic drama of Revenge of the Sith.

Attack of the Clones went from least favorite Star Wars movie to one of the films I enjoy most.

12. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    AOTC is beautifully filmed. I know it’ll probably be dismissed as hyperbole but Lucas’ frames resembled paintings, he really is a breathtaking visual filmmaker. Also, Natalie Portman is hotter than the surface of the sun in that movie.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
  14. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Me too - The trilogy really feels like one long film. Its like 3 parts but feels like one movie. AOTC as someone mentioned above is a great character study and has SO much going on. Phantom Menace is always a blast. Sith is of course the finale and has the biggest scenes taking place in it. Ugh. So hard to pick one out. I really cant. The prequels are one long movie to me. Love them all. :)

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This.

It really took all the things from the rest of the PT and "turned it up five notches." IMO one of the most epic films ever made, in terms of its grand scale, the scope, emotion and pivotal contribution to the overall story of the saga. In this one you really feel the weight of the impact all the events have on the rest of the saga. And yes-visually it's great, like nothing else out there. And of course JW's score does it all justice!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  16. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Revenge of the Sith. It still has problems but it’s the only prequel I would say is actually a good movie. I appreciate the darker tone, and it’s the most emotionally moving episode in the sequel trilogy. I usually consider this to be my fourth favorite Star Wars film.

17. Ash_Skywalker

Ash_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 7, 2021
    I like all the three movies, but if I compare it, it would be The Revenge of the Sith :).

18. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Definitely Revenge of the Sith. It's the film that cemented my love for Star Wars and it elevates all of the other films in the saga. The raw emotion and visceral action make it one of the most entertaining Star Wars movies.

It's in my top three Star Wars movies, along with Empire and Return of the Jedi.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    ROTS easily, but all 3 are masterpieces.

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I am actually in the middle of watching ROTS right now...and I once again am reminded at how this film (despite some people's grievances) really stands out as one of not only the best in the saga, but also one of the most important (from a story standpoint). I said it before and I'll say it again: when watching Anakin make his decision to stop the Jedi from arresting Palpatine, when Palpatine give Order 66 thru that whole sequence, Padme's funeral, and even the iris out scene, you really get the sense that things in the GFFA are changing-not for the better-and will never again go back to the way they were. We see that in the story, and we feel that as fans.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    DarthKreVass and Luna2112 like this.
  21. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    The phantom menace!

Wheres the poll?

Aah Fisto and Subtext Mining like this.
  22. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I love all three of them, but ROTS is my favorite.

23. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Aotc ,Rots,TPM but i love all 3 films and are a true continuation of the george lucas saga with one mans vision and genius, sequels arent cannon to me so unlike some folks i still love star wars lol

24. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Uhm...what? What do you try to say?

25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Its close, but despite its flaws I like TPM the best because it was the first new movie in a generation, and the story of the beginnings of Darth Vadar always fascinated me.

Aah Fisto and Guidman like this.