main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What is your favorite prequel film

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Fatal_R_097, Nov 17, 2020.

1. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I feel the same way.

TPM looks great.

And ROTS’s art direction is whack.

CampOfSorgan and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    I have always loved the PT. The greatest is ROTS but my favourite will always be TPM. I have never understood the hatred TPM got back in the day despite being aimed at children (like all the Lucas films). However, Revenge of the Sith is the greatest Star Wars film though but it is of course so tragic that I don't watch it quite as often as TPM. All those PT films are brilliant.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  3. FlashDriver

FlashDriver Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2020
    ROTS. I have exactly one gripe, and that's Padme's manner of death, even though I think it was necessary to portray it onscreen. I am always amazed by the visuals, the soundtrack, the action scenes, and the story. Anakin's fall was the culmination of 2 and a half movies, as was the rise of the Empire.
    I used to fall for common internet criticisms of the PT, but it's easy to see the good in all three prequels. I also love the innocent charm of TPM in particular, and my thoughts on the often criticized slapstick have gone from bad to neutral.

4. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    My favorite movie is Revenge of the Sith. Not only it's my favorite movie of the Prequel Trilogy, but it’s my favorite movie of the whole Saga. I also like Attack of the Clones very much, I think it's an extremely underrated and misunderstood film, and I'm particularly annoyed by the attitude of some people who treat it as if it were an abomination. He obviously has his flaws, but all the Saga movies have them. People are always complaining about how annoying Anakin is in this movie, but no one want to remember that Luke behaved the exact same way in A New Hope. People are not objective.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I can't say I like how AOTC looks in some scenes, either. I like the chase scene, too. The way it began is a little strange. One would have thought that Anakin would have jumped out the window to get that droid, not Obi-Wan. Even so, the music and chase itself are awesome. I think Jango and Anakin are the most interesting characters in the film. Lucas directed the action better than the rest of it. He should put more thought into that film in general. I mean, he should have asked Natalie Portman to show more emotion on her face when Christensen is portraying Anakin's bloodlust, trauma, and hatred. The whole point is that Padme feels sorry for Anakin and wants to help him, since she believes he's a better person than that. But, yeah, that whole romance is problematic, given the codependency and all.

The good thing about ROTS is that Lucas put a lot of thought into it and changed his mind a few times.

But I can see why TPM is your favorite 'cause it's a great adventure film. I like how it begins and ends on Naboo, and the music is gorgeous and haunting.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't quite get annoyed as all opinions all valid, but AOTC's reputation among Star War fans has steered me towards being hesitant to identify as a Star Wars fan. Kind of like there's an expectation, how ESB has to be worshipped and AOTC has to be ranked as the worst, and if one disagrees it's not as simple as others just saying "your view is cool too." Just doesn't sit well with me as someone who was blown away by AOTC on day one and remains so to this day.

7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Attack of the Clones is, perhaps, Lucas operating at his most Lucasian. Just on a visual level alone, any given frame feels like it could some 50s pulp sci-fi novel cover, but filtered through his very distinct eye; he's really wearing all of his influences on his sleeve in this one and letting loose and just jamming one last time, before switching gears for the more directly mythic finale in Revenge of the Sith.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    TX-20, Samnz, CampOfSorgan and 5 others like this.
  8. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I had a professor once who was fond of saying "make the same mistake often enough and it becomes your style." And he didn't intend that as a warning. Attack of the Clones is Lucas doing the same thing. What others call "flaws" or view as "bad" parts, I see deliberate decisions which are thematically and tonally consistent with each other, and they are part of a whole that is put together in a way no one else can. I didn't try to arrive at this conclusion, I put my ego aside and watched a film. I love it.

TX-20, Samnz, CampOfSorgan and 3 others like this.
  9. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    Amen! =D=

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  10. Raya.the.Mediocre66

Raya.the.Mediocre66 Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2021
    It's really hard to say. I think ROTS is the "best" one of the PT, but ever since I was a kid, I've always watched AOTC. So right now, its AOTC.

11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I have answered this question before, but in reevaluating the PT, I think we need to define what we mean by favorite, i.e., most enjoyable, best story, best acting, best special effects, etc. Like everything the term "favorite" is relative.

TX-20 and CampOfSorgan like this.
  12. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    Well, if I really wanted to be honest, I'd have to say none of them, but I suppose the one I found least horrible was Revenge of the Sith.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  13. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    ROTS , not even close.Its the best Star Wars movie.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    In my view, ROTS is easily the worst Star Wars film.

15. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Yep, fantastic film. I still get excited to watch it to this day.

16. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    In my view, TFA is by far the worst SW movie.

CampOfSorgan and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I place TFA pretty low too. And TROS and TLJ, which are dismal. But we were talking prequels. ROTS just rubs me the wrong way. I quite like TPM (minus JJ), and parts of AOTC I like a lot.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  18. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Funny how that happened because when AOTC opened it got more love. Articles and fans were saying it was better than TPM. The shift happened and everyone started to turn on it.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  19. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Yes, at some point before/during ROTS the louder, vulgar group of people started bashing TPM and AOTC. The media recognized how to be more popular with the crowd and decided to do the same. The same is today. Even at the PT section here in a last several months some new names appeared openly stating how they don't like the PT and yet they mostly hang here.

I'm proud to say that I consider AOTC the best not only of the PT, but the whole franchise.

Count Yubnub and ezekiel22x like this.
  20. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, it's no coincidence I joined this forum during the summer of Clones. It was an exciting time and I definitely picked up a "Star Wars is really back this time" sentiment among fandom. Of course, not that I need group approval to validate my opinion, but honestly I probably wouldn't have joined if today's brand of mean spirited snark and baiting disguised as cool objectivity was a more common response to fans simply showing their appreciation of a Star Wars film in a Star War specific venue.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  21. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Why?

22. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Do you have any links to some original AOTC reviews that have this sentiment?

23. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    As a film, ignoring the story itself, ROTS feels like a Frankenstein's monster of hobbled together scenes. You can tell that, once Lucas decided to remove the scene's focusing on Padme and Obi-Wan, that he never went back and re-edited the scenes he was leaving in so that they now flowed into each other without the deleted scenes.

Also, you can tell when people are speaking to each other, but they are clearly different takes, or in some cases, not even filmed on the same day. Ewan and Hayden do not feel, to me, like they are actually speaking to one another doing the opening space fight. And sur enough, once the BTS stuff came out, it was revealed that their cockpit dialogue was filmed on different days.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Rewatched TPM today, but in Italian. I really enjoy this movie. The only nonsensical bit is way too many encounters with massive sea creatures in a tiny stretch of time as the protagonists submarine through an entire planet core in what seems like five minutes. And Jar Jar and Boss Nass, who I find easy to ignore. Otherwise it’s a fun, coherent movie that looks and feels closest to the realistic aesthetic of the OT.

And the politics in TPM are the most believable and true to life of the PT, despite it being the most “kid-friendly” of the trilogy. In AOTC and ROTS, the political plot gets way less convincing. Especially in ROTS with Palpatine faking his kidnapping in the most dangerous way possible. He could’ve died ten times in his escape from Grievous’ ship. That’s not the way you ensure your galactic takeover happens.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Glitterstimm and CampOfSorgan like this.
  25. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    It always cracks me up when people talk about how good the PT was received in non-english speaking countries. I'm like, yeah, because the performances were better.