main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What is your favorite scene from each of the Classic Trilogy movies?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by YodaMocha, Sep 10, 2017.

1. StarGuppy

StarGuppy Jedi Padawan

Jul 27, 2017
    ANH: Twin sunset.
    ESB: Obi-Wan's appearance to Luke on Hoth.
    ROTJ: The dual immediately leading up to Vader losing his hand.

2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Probably my favourite scene from TESB is during the duel in the Carbon Freezing chamber. Luke knocks Vader off the platform and jumps down. He then walks through the beautifully lit circular tunnel, then drops into that control room, the doors speed-slamming shut behind him. The control room is lit perfectly, and you can see the reactor shaft through the circular window, and there is that oscillating humming noise. Then you hear Vader’s breathing...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Toddy, StarYogi and whostheBossk like this.
  3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Updated:

ANH: Luke's run in the Death Star trenches (the stakes are high, Vader's on his tail, Obi-Wan gives him ghostly encouragement, reminding him to trust in his own feelings rather than technology, Han and Chewie return to help save the day)

TESB: Introduction of Vader (still probably my favorite scene in the series) "It's a good bet the Empire knows we're here." "We'd better start the evacuation." Cut to the fleet as the Imperial March begins

ROTJ: Luke lashes out in anger and defeats Vader (the soundtrack piece "A Jedi's Fury" contributes to this greatly, underscoring the raw emotion involved in the overall duel).

Iron_lord, AhsokaSolo and afterlight like this.
  4. immertreu

immertreu Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2012
    ANH: Binary sunset. My favorite movie scene of all times. I love the music, the lighting and the way you can feel Luke's longing to be somewhere...anywhere else, really; to go and live and have adventures and not be stuck on this dreary backwater planet with his aunt and uncle who love him (each in their own way) but are also smothering him because they are trying to protect him from the truth and his father's fate.

ESB: Yoda and the Force and the X-Wing. Just beautiful. (AND Artoo on Dagobah. Luke's exasperation always makes me laugh, when he tells Artoo "That way!" or has to clean him up after he fell into the swamp.)

ROTJ: 1. Luke telling the truth to Leia and saying goodbye in the Ewok village. It explains their deep connection (as siblings) to Leia but also emphasizes Luke's conviction that he has to try and save their father, that everyone deserves a second chance. Luke simply doesn't have it in him to just give up.
    2. Luke and Vader's fight and the moment Anakin saves Luke plus Anakin's death and funeral pyre (I know I'm cheating, but I can't chose just one scene ;) ).

Toddy, AhsokaSolo, afterlight and 2 others like this.
  5. Master Jos-Ra

Master Jos-Ra Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2019
    ANH: Binary sunset (close second, the destruction of the Death Star).

ESB: Yoda reveals his identity (close second the battle against Vader).

ROTJ: Vader redems himself and saves Luke by destroying the Emperor (close second the climax of the battle between the father and the son).

6. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    One of my favourite shots in ESB is this one. So awesome...

"Whoaa, that got him!!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  7. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Great choices

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  8. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    ANH: Binary Sunset. I grew up on a very rural farm, just related to that feeling of wanting to be somewhere else so much.

ESB: Yoda's Force lesson/speech after he lifts the X-Wing out of the swamp

ROTJ: Luke catching his lightsaber on the Skiff, Falcon flying out of DS2/Lando's "yee-haw" close second

Chancellor Yoda, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  9. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    The Battle of Hoth.
    So many good scenes from this movie it was hard to pick one.

10. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    It's pretty much impossible for me to choose a favourite (or even favourites) as those movies are just awesome. But I will try to choose three from each.

ANH.
    -Binary Sunset. A really simple and short scene, but with huge significance thanks to the beautiful photography and music.
    -Luke, Ben, Han, Chewie and the droids aboard the Falcon after they leave Tatooine. A scene with a lot of strange stuff happening (Luke training with a lightsaber using the Force, a droid playing chess with a "walking carpet") is treated as an everyday scene, with a lot of fun banter ("don't thank me all at once"). There are plenty of scenes like this in the movie, but I like this one very much.
    -Final trench run: it's soooo well put together, with very limited effects (that were not even altered in the SE), great tension and suspense. A masterful sequence.

TESB.
    -Luke and Han say goodbye before the Battle of Hoth. It's a simple moment, just wishing each other good luck, but the acting and the music are great and give so much meaning to this moment.
    -Luke has a vision of his friends. Amongst the scenes on Dagobah, this one works much better after the prequels. You can feel the tension in Yoda, with his "always in motion the future is" line, fearing that Luke will make he same mistake as his father.
    -Leia, Lando, Chewie and the droids escape in the Falcon. Cloud City during sunset is just gorgeous, the music is incredible, and the emotion and excitment of all the heroes running and succeeding provides a satisfying contrast to what's going on with Luke at the moment.

ROTJ
    -Yoda's death. It's a wonderful, lovely scene, the only time we see someone dying of old age. The way Yoda welcomes death as a natural part of life ("twilight is upon me, and soon night must fall") is a great lesson and Luke helping him while Yoda lies down is really powerful. It's incredible that it was done with a muppet!
    -Ewok village sequence. I love it. With all my heart. Straight out of a fantasy film. Small, cute, furry creatures going back to their village (I've always wanted to live in a village on top of the trees). That's Star Wars for me. A fantasy for kids that melts the heart of an adult.
    -Final confrontation of Luke/Vader/Emperor. That scene that mirrors the Palpatine/Anakin/Mace confrontation. The Emperor being so overconfident, talking to Luke, but indirectly to Anakin as well ("young fool.. only now... in the end... do you understand"). Luke asking for help to his father. And the ambiguity behind the mask. Vader has never felt so human, and still, we can only "see" the projection of our own feelings.

afterlight and Iron_lord like this.
  11. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Hmmmm . . . let me see.

"ANH" - Leia's rescue from the Death Star

"TESB" - Han, Leia, Chewie and Threepio's escape from Hoth

"ROTJ" - Luke's refusal to kill Vader

12. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    I have two favorite scenes from every OT film.

ANH
    - The classic opening scene.
    - Wedge comes to Luke's rescue.

ESB
    - Yoda revealing himself to Luke.
    - Wedge takes down the AT-AT.

ROTJ
    - Ackbar's "It's a trap!" followed by the assault from the Tie Fighters.
    - Wedge shooting down the power regulator and getting out alive.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    Great minds think alike. My favorite scenes too!

14. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    ANH: the Leia rescue scene through Obi-Wan/Vader duel
    ESB: Yoda lifting the x-wing out of the swamp
    RotJ: Anakin's Redemption

15. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    There is something very dreamlike about that scene. It feels like it is in a snow globe, a self-contained "scene". It is the sort of thing that Tim Burton does so well with his sets. The Dagobah set is obviously on a sound-stage, but that works in its favour to give it a kind of surreal quality. I don't think that Star Wars will ever be this beautiful again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  16. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    A McQuarrie painting brought to life. Amazing.

17. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    A New Hope: The scene where Obi-Wan was explaining to Luke about the Clone Wars and Anakin Skywalker.

The Empire Strikes Back: I'm torn between the Yoda/Luke training I g scenes and the Millinium Falcon flying through that asteroid field. That movie was so good it's hard to pick one scene.

Return of the Jedi: When Luke throws down his light saber and says "I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

Sarge and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  18. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    More a shot than a scene, but Luke's hooded silhouette coming down the entrance hall to Jabba's palace is pretty darn cool.

19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I greatly enjoy the sail barge battle in ROTJ, particularly at the start of the battle when Luke first ignites his lightsaber and that John Williams score blares triumphantly. Pure classic Star Wars.

20. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Wow, I don't know if I've ever carefully listened to this track on its own before. I must say, this six minute piece of music alone is more thrilling and epic than every Disney Star Wars film combined IMO. Especially that glorious finale at the end! This is pure Star Wars.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  21. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    ANH: The Death Star run. Need I say more? It’s just an incredibly tense and beautiful slice of action cinema. And I love Han’s sudden about-face.

ESB: Awkward kiss scene aside, I love the little sliver we see of Luke, Leia, and Han together on Hoth. Empire is actually my least favorite of the classic trilogy, but it establishes my favorite thing about the entire saga: three lonely humans, a walking carpet, and two bickering droids carve out a small, weird family against the backdrop of a vast and desperate war.

ROTJ: Luke tells Leia she’s his sister. There’s something really dreamy and of-its-time about the lighting in this sequence and the Ewok village; just watching it sends me back to being a kid and watching this movie on the floor of my grandparents’ living room. Luke and Leia’s sibling bond has always been my favorite relationship in Star Wars, and this is their big onscreen moment. I love how intense Luke is in this sequence, too, how his dedication to his cause seems to render him suddenly otherworldly, even to someone who knows him well.

22. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    So many scenes in the classic trilogy were simply amazing. I will think about this one!

christophero30 and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Volley

Volley Jedi Knight

Mar 4, 2017
    A New Hope - When the TIE Fighter is dogfighting Luke's X-Wing in the early portion of the Battle of Yavin, he went after that plot-armored character like an ace.

The Empire Strikes Back - When the three Imperial-class Star Destroyers almost crash into each other trying to capture the Millennium Falcon shortly after the escape from Hoth.

Return of the Jedi - When the Rebel Fleet emerges from hyperspace and Admiral Ackbar realizes it's a trap, the entire fleet pulls up, so many ships, so much chaos ensues shortly after.

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    it's hard to pick just one. the Asteroid scene in ESB is just stunning.

themoth likes this.
  25. DARTH FATHEAD

DARTH FATHEAD Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2013
    SW - Cantina Scene
    ESB - MF chase in the Asteroids
    ROTJ - Vader saving Luke.