main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

CT What is your favorite scene from each of the Classic Trilogy movies?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by YodaMocha, Sep 10, 2017.

1. themoth

themoth Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Han at his best, and with such a spectacular cue from John Williams.

christophero30 likes this.
  2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    It's really great. Like a frantic but elegant ballet in space. The four of them in the cockpit are great, both in dialogue and physically, how they are jumping in and out of seats, squeezing past one another, C-3PO falls on top of Chewie etc. Really well made scene. My favourite shot though is when the Falcon enters the canyon on the Asteroid with the two TIE fighters behind it. The Falcon's engine noise, the TIE engine noise, the music....ah. So good.

You're right though, it is hard to pick a scene, especially from TESB, which I have never made any secret of the fact that I consider it the Gold Standard, and perfect from start to finish.

This scene though transcends TESB from the best Star Wars installment, to one of the best movies ever though in my opinion. I think that it is oddly profound (for a children's space fantasy) beautifully shot and absolutely timeless.

"Luminous beings are we..." I mean, that borders on being poetry. It's actually quite moving.

Luke's failure, and Yoda's awesome power revealed...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  3. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I find it truly impossible to choose, but I do want to call out one scene, for its impact on me at the time....

I just rewatched ESB, and the surreal scene where the door opens and there is Darth Vader, seated in that all white room, at a dinner table, Chewie roars, Han unhesitatingly draws his blaster and fires, only to have Vader block the shots and Force-grab the gun...wow. I was completely unspoiled when I saw that in the theater and had no clue at all it was coming. It was stunning, and it still is pretty remarkable...

4. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Luke pulling back from the edge of the darkside,tossing his lightsaber away, and telling the Emperor "i'll never turn to the darkside, You failed your highness, I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

How that man could go from being ready to sacrifice himself for a multiple time mass murderer whi just happened who was alos his father to someone ready to kill his own nephew over a bad dream/vision especially since " always in motion, the future is" baffles the seven Corellian hells out of me.

5. C1611076

C1611076 Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2019
    Trench Run
    Escape from Cloud City
    Luke Defeats Vader

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Trench Run.

Luke vs. Vader in Bespin.

Final scene on Endor.

7. Starwarsisover

Starwarsisover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2017
    Obi wan Kenobi, Obi wan now that’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time, a long time.

I can’t shake him

I’m on the leader

Remember the force will be with you always

Luke you will go to the Dagobah system there you will learn from Yoda the Jedi master who Instructed me

Strong is Vader mind what you have learned save you it can, I will and I return, I promise.

Yoda will always be with you

I love these shots lines and sequences but I think my favourite is when Luke is lying on the ground in the snow in ESB and Obi wan appears to him. The music cues and the fantasy around it transport you somewhere else as a viewer, you are completely drawn into this world and what is capable within it to the characters, it is so subtle and yet believable. Your disbelief is suspended to such a great level here and it is the first time force ghosts are ever seen in the trilogy. Whenever they are shown in the OT it’s utterly spell binding for an audience.

I also love Alec Guinness shock at hearing his former name Obi Wan Kenobi. Again listen to the music cue, his reaction, the way the camera moves as he moves reacting to his former identity as he has to take a seat from the weight of his past on his shoulders. It’s genius.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Saturn830

Saturn830 Jedi Padawan

Nov 8, 2019
    ANH: Toss-up between the attack on the Tantive IV and the trench run. There's no choosing between those two.

ESB: The AT-AT attack, although in recent years I've come to appreciate the Bespin duel more and more.

RotJ: Not really a single continuous scene, but everytime the Emperor opens his mouth in the throne room.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Chosen One star 9

Nov 20, 2012
    Star Wars: Death Star run

ESB: Luke vs Vader

ROTJ: Luke vs Vader

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2012
    -trench run
    -Vader vs Luke
    -throne room

11. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    ANH - maybe Ben and Luke's talk where Luke first learns about the force

ESB - easy "The force is with you young skywalker... but you are a not a jedi yet". One of the best scenes in a movie ever for my money. The cinematography is amazing.

ROTJ - easy - Luke/Vader/Emperor (although "the emperor is not as forgiving as I am" is a great quick Vader scene too)

12. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    ANH - "Use the Force, Luke!" [Luke hesitates]. "Let go!"

ESB - Yoda raises the X-wing (with the Asteroid Field a very close second).

ROTJ - "Father, please!"

An honorable mention in ROTJ goes to Han's line after he's saved from Jabba, and the team splits up, with Luke going to visit Yoda: "Hey Luke, thanks. Thanks for coming after me. Now I owe you one." It's almost a throwaway, blink-and-you-miss-it line. But it perfectly encapsulates so much - how each of them has grown, and everything they've been through together since they first met in Mos Eisley.

13. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    A New Hope - The Binary Sunset scene
    The Empire Strikes Back - The final scene of Luke, Leia and the droids gazing out into the universe
    Return of the Jedi - Pyre for Anakin after the destruction of the Death Star

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Chosen One star 9

Nov 20, 2012
    Some good examples!

15. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm gonna post before reading just so I'm not influenced. I'm totally sure once I read my opinion will change because I'm probably forgetting stuff. But off hand:

ANH: Luke and the twin suns. I don't care if it's a cliche at this point. It encapsulates the entirety of the Tatooine stuff, which is collectively my favorite movie sci-fi of all time, plus it feels so intimately revealing of Luke's character and his motives. He's pulled in so many directions. He yearns for more, but he is also anchored to that world and his family. It's very human.

ESB: Basically, Bespin. It's hard to distinguish which specific, but the combination of Han getting frozen and then Luke showing up in that same room to face Vader and then the following duel. That whole scenario was so epic and it stayed with me from childhood into adulthood. The emotion of Han getting frozen and then the setting for the duel above the gas giant above the endless void after leaving the carbon freezing chamber. The design of all of this was top notch, and the writing pitch perfect. I get wholly immersed in it.

RotJ: 100% the throne room scene. This is another bit that I think is one of the greatest of all time (though not the greatest, that's Tatooine in ANH :p). The psychology of Luke tackling this impossible challenge is so relatable and emotional. The characterization all around just works. I have never criticized that retcon of Luke and Leia being twins because I think it adds so much to this scene. Sheev is such a terrifying villain, or at least he was when I was a kid, and it was quite a feat that the film made me pity Vader in the end. Superb stuff.

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'll go 3 each:

SW - Luke twin suns, I'm Luke Skywalker I'm here to rescue you, medal ceremony

TESB - Luke seeing his friends in danger, the Emperor's conversation (original version), Vader vs. Luke

RotJ - Sarlaac pit rescue, Luke vs. Vader, Ewok celebration with original Force Ghosts

17. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    SW - Obi-Wan gives Luke his father's lightsaber.
    TESB - Yoda lifts the X-Wing from the swamp.
    ROTJ - Luke turns himself in to Vader on Endor.

christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  18. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 14, 2017
    SW (ANH): Star Destroyer rumbles over Tatooine after the Tantive IV (you know the shot I mean!)
    ESB: I know
    ROTJ: The end of the duel between Vader and Luke after Vader threatens Leia (that soundtrack!)

19. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    SW/ANH: Trench run. One of the best climaxes ever
    ESB: Yoda teaches Luke about the force
    RoTJ: "I am a jedi like my father before me"

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  20. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 8

May 18, 2017
    ANH Use the Force Luke
    ESB When Vader is hurling things at Luke without moving. That music. Really that entire fight.
    ROTJ: throne room scene

someoneinpassing likes this.
  21. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    You're right. That entire Bespin fight is terrifying. The way Vader very slowly ignites his lightsaber, and the camera pans to Luke's face right in front of the tip of the lightsaber. Vader hurling things at Luke. Luke cowering in front of Vader with Vader literally towering over him. Ironically, in a way the "reveal" is actually the most "tender" moment of the whole thing. Vader is almost pleading with Luke that it doesn't have to be this way.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Toddy and christophero30 like this.
  22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    yes that was an intense and scary fight. Most people in 80 were not expecting Luke to have his lunch handed to him and lose his hand.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  23. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    SW: Binary Sunset
    tESB: The entire duel between Luke and Vader.
    RotJ: Pretty much the entire Emperor/Luke/Vader sequence. If that's cheating, Anakin killing Palpatine (Return of the Jedi)

24. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I love it when they come out onto the walkway above that beautiful matte painted reactor shaft. The sound design is great. There is an ominous “clang” at one point as their lightsabers hit the walkway handrailing together. I so love TESB

25. christophero30

May 18, 2017