main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What is your favorite type of fanfic to read?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SatineNaberrie, Nov 25, 2014.

?

what is your favorite type of fanfic to read?

1. "Obidala"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Anakin doesn't turn sith AU

5.0%
  3. Mara/Luke romance

30.0%
  4. Luke and Vader father and son AUs

10.0%
  5. OC fanfiction

30.0%
  6. Anakin/Padme romance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Han/leia romance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jedi Leia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Dark Luke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other(please list)

25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    What type of SW is your favorite to read? I tried to list some of the major ones ,but can't list them all so there is the other option.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I voted Other. My preferred type are redemption tales thoughtfully planned and presented for misguided characters besides Anakin Skywalker. I've seen a few for Dooku. Still waiting for one about Tarkin.

Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  3. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Is there any way to change the poll so we can select more than one? I've a primary preference, but I'd like to choose more than one thing. :)

4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I picked OC fanfiction because really, out of millions of planets with a twenty-five millennia history, there's an almost infinite variety of stuff out there to write a Star Wars story about.

5. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I can't edit the poll, I was asking for overall favorite if you had to choose one, which can be hard especially if your favorite changes.

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm especially fond of OC-based stories, too, under which I include stories about obscure or otherwise-little-written-about canon characters. In particular, I love it when stories of that type develop the culture or history of the characters in question. But I'm willing to give almost anything a chance if it's well written and interesting. :)

7. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I had to give some L/V love, 'cuz it looked lonely up there. :p

Yes, I'm biased... [face_whistling]

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    This -- which is also the reason I hate the Sith Jacen arc in profic: they had the whole GFFA to work in and all they could come up with was a Skywalker turning to the Dark Side??? :mad:

I also agree with Cushing's Admirer that redemption tales are a central SW theme, but one doesn't preclude the other :)

It would be interesting to have a "what is your fav type of fanfic to write" poll after this -- I suspect the results would be quite different.

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I picked Other.

I like a good psychothriller, or something actiony, or something just plain weird.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I love L/M romance the mostest but I am also developing a keen fondness for Oc-based stories. I've "met" some amazing original characters whose stories are fantabulous.

11. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    Gave my vote to OC Fanfiction.

I like seeing the GFFA fleshed out beyond the point of view of established characters from the movies and Legends continuity.

12. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    OC fanfiction, but it was just barely chosen over Luke and Vader father and son AU's. Those are often fantastic, though I don't see many of them anymore. Ones that focus on Leia and Vader as well are particularly intriguing and even rarer. Family-based stories in general are appealing.

Pretty much any romance pair is a draw if well-written and not abusive, incestuous, or creepy due to ages (this last one normally only applies if a character is underage; if everyone is an adult then I assume they're fine unless the writing seems to tell me otherwise -- in which case we go back to objection #1.) I read a lot of OC romance, L/M, and also things with other Legends/EU characters. Han and Leia are seldom seen, but they're my favorite romance from the movies (not that we have a lot of others to choose from!) From the "if wishes were banthas" department, I wish there was more 'ship fanfic of Zayne Carrick and Jarael from the KOTOR comics.

I love Rebellion/New Republic squadron stories that focus on the Rogues and Wraiths, or on invented OC groups. Stories that focus on the survivors of the Jedi purge are also something that I seem to read frequently. Variety is good and there's a greater chance that I'll try something if my first thought is that this is an unusual character/genre, or else a unique variation on a common theme.

13. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I voted L/M, although I equally love character introspection fics.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Picked other. I do love stories where Anakin never fell, Luke and Vader stories, Luke and Mara, Han and Leia etc though.
    Favorite stories include Anakin Solo doesn't die in SBS, other NJO AU's in general, or stories following EU characters, time travel etc.
    AU ROTS stories are so much fun.
    Stories where Vader returns to the Light with help from Luke are good too imo. Pre ANH and Post ESB stories. Even started a story or two with Leia doing it.
    Also like stories where Anakin lives past ROTJ.

Anyone know any good stories with Zayne Carrick and his friends from KOTOR comics?

Kahara and NightWatcher91 like this.
  15. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    I enjoy the Alternate Universes where just a small change occurred from the normal story. I like to see where writers lead the characters into new territory, and how it impacts what we knew.

Kahara and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    One such series of stories (One Missed Strike) that I liked began with Anakin vs. Obi-Wan and the outcome of the duel was different. Obi-Wan missed the finishing strike on Mustafar and eventually Obi-Wan had to run. Changed the OT movies quite a bit.

17. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I like those also. I like writing those type of stories.

I am pretty much into romance. I rarely read action fics. Anything the profics do well, I don't feel the need to read in fanfiction. I have a tendency to read fics that fix the horrible stuff I read in the profics or have some much needed romance. Romance in Star Wars profics suck. Even the Courtship of Princess Leia wasn't very romantic. This is where fanfiction shines.

18. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    I will give that one a read Force Smuggler. Sounds like one I would enjoy.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    NightWatcher91 likes this.
  20. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014

Same. Those are just about my favorite to read, and basically the only kind of AU that I've written. With the caveat that the small change has to make sense in-context, of course - there are a few I've read which have a change based on a character making a completely different decision from canon for no justifiable reason. Which are still fun to read, of course, but I enjoy seeing the writer lay out a logical progression of changes.

One of my current favorite fics involves an AU that diverges when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon never encounter Anakin on Tatooine. As a result, Anakin isn't there to destroy the droid control ship and the Blockade of Naboo lasts for over a year. By the time the story picks up over ten years later, Padme is still Queen of Naboo and leader of the Separatists, Dooku is Supreme Chancellor, and Obi-Wan is no longer a Jedi.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What? What story is this?

22. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    It's the second in the Ouroboros series by bedlamsbard on AO3. The first one, Wake the Storm, involves Clone-Wars era Anakin accidentally touching a Sith artifact and being thrown forward in time to the OT era, switching places with Vader who is sent to his place in the past. In the second one, Queen's Gambit, the same artifact sends Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme to the universe I just mentioned. It's currently in-progress.

Ewok Poet and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank you. Going to read this now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.