Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by wian, Jan 7, 2016.
ESB Luke vs Vader.
Though Rey and Finn vs Kylo Ren is close.
Yes. I love it.
1. Luke vs Vader from TESB - Could go on and on about how great this fight is.
2. Luke vs Vader from ROTJ - Round two between father and son is filled with weight and drama that builds up to the ultimate end of a saga and Anakin's arc.
3. Rey (and Finn) vs Kylo from TFA - Rough and unrefined. Every swing has weight to it and there is a real sense of danger. Loved the way the trees got chopped down around them.
4. Obi-Wan vs Anakin (Vader) from ROTS - A duel that has much more emotional weight than many other fights in the prequels, however a bit too long and over the top.
5. Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul from TPM - A fun fight. Lacks much depth or meaning but is at least enjoyable to watch.
6. Yoda vs Sidious from ROTS - Would have preferred if there were no lightsabers at all since the best parts of this duel are when they unleash their force powers.
7. Obi-Wan vs Vader from ANH - Hasn't aged too well but still carries a lot of weight, perhaps more so after seeing the prequels. This duel is enjoyable more for the meaning than the actual fight itself.
8. Mace vs Sidious from ROTS - The other masters getting killed so easily felt a little lame but I didn't mind the duel that much. It was ok.
9. Obi-Wan & Anakin vs Dooku from ROTS - Nice to see how Anakin has grown since the last duel, but otherwise a forgettable fight. Also how was Obi-Wan not paralyzed after that?
10. Obi-Wan & Anakin vs Dooku from AOTC - Just bored me honestly. Just a way to showcase how powerful Dooku was before the real fight with Yoda began.
11. Yoda vs Dooku from AOTC - Once the novelty of seeing Yoda in action wears off, this duel becomes kinda lame. The choreography looks goofy too. Zero weight or tension.
12. Obi-Wan vs Grievous - Goofy, over the top, cgi-filled, tensionless filler.
Honorable Mention: (Obi-Wan vs Jango Fett) - May not really be a lightsaber duel but still a fairly fun little fight.
I'm just going to respond to point 11: so you think you know Yoda and Sidious better than George, who created them and refined them over a period of decades into the cultural icons they are today?
1) AOTC: totally artistic and choreography was great, as I'm quite fond of Ballet, I saw it quite in that way, "lightsabers glowing in the dark" what more could you want
2) TFA: woods, snow, ancient looking lightsabers? what's NOT to love?
3) Sidious Vs Mace: yes Sidious looks uncomfortable with a blade, but that adds to the character for me, not everyone who wields a saber should act like they are masters at it. Plus Sidious' style was different, loved the stabbing motions.
those are my top three, will probably do the rest later.
1) Yoda vs Darth Sidious
2) Mace Windu vs Darth Sidious
3) Yoda vs Count Dooku
4) Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul
5) Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Anakin Skywalker
6) Obi-Wan Kenobi vs General Grievous
7) Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker vs Count Dooku (ROTS)
8) Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker vs Count Dooku (AOTC)
9) Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader
10) Rey and Finn vs Kylo Ren
11) Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader (ROTJ)
12) Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader (ESB)
All are 10/10 sword fights
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My ranking is:
1. TPM Kenobi & Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul - It has speed and energy, but is not too energetic, and thus it has realistic moves, and is not hard to follow. I just love it.
2. ESB Luke vs Vader - Again, contrary to the Kenobi-Vader duel in ANH, this one is dramatic and has speed, and it is also just classic. Realistic moves that could acctually be done, still exciting and in an awesome environment.
3. TFA Rey vs Kylo - This one is also very well done, as you might have noticed I am not a huge fan of the speedy, ROTS battles, I prefer to watch the ones where you can follow the moves of the lightsabers, and understand what they are doing. This is great because both Rey and Kylo are unrefined in combat, and, well, it makes it an even battle, fun to watch.
4. ROTS Kenobi vs Anakin - Alright, yeah, I lied a little bit, however again, this battle is just awesome. The Mustafar environment is just made for dueling, and I just like seeing the master vs apprentice battle. I like it more than the Anakin-Dooku battle, the Yoda-Sidious battle, and the Windu-Sidious battle, just because of the master-apprentice thing. BTW I love seeing a blue lightsaber dueling another blue one.
5. AOTC Kenobi & Anakin & Yoda vs Dooku - I'm running out of choices, eh? Well, this is also just great. Yoda gets speedy and shows his great powers of the force, Dooku shows his dueling skills, and Kenobi also duels bravely. Although I don't like Anakin's part in this duel, and Kenobi's helplessness, it's just great.
Not favorite, but severely underrated:
Throughout the entire duel, Dooku clearly has the upper arm. He's a far far superior duelist than either Obi-Wan or Anakin. Even when Anakin is unleashing his Dark Side, Dooku parries his attacks easily, simply moving between each parry and waiting for Anakin to catch up. Really, it's quite a lucky shot that Anakin was able to disarm Dooku.
The part between Anakin and Dooku is awesome.. and actually I don't really think Anakin got lucky.... you can see how he's fueling himself with anger and striking harder and harder
For me: Luke vs. his father in Return of the Jedi, followed by the two Jedi vs. Maul in The Phantom Menace.
I agree with Darkslayer's comments above: I really wish Yoda and the Emperor did not have lightsabers. I think they should've been above the use of them, their battle should have been a battle of wills.
As to the thread's question, I voted for Luke vs. Vader in ESB but I really wanted to vote for Kenobi vs. Vader in ANH. That duel is really misunderstood by some IMO.
I absolutely loved this duel. As you said, severely underrated also... i Loved the part when they were locked together and Dooku says You have hate, you have anger... But you dont use them...
I loved the part when Dooku does that back kick on Anakin, and then uses the force to throat choke Obi - Wan and throw him over the other side of the room.
Palpatines little "Yeah" during the battle was funny also....
No he was not. When Anakin locked in, it took everything Dooku had to keep him off. The book talks about his force power and stamina were too much for Dooku. Awesome ending move too.
I agree. Sometimes I rewatch the scene just to see Palpatine having fun while boys do their job.
Nothing beats seeing Vader in full flight in ESB for me.
I have a love-hate thing with the fight between Darth Maul and co in TPM. But the BEST moment in the entire movie actually does occur during that fight. Ironically it has no fighting at all. It's the part when Maul and Qui-Gon are temporarily separated behind the force shields and face each other off. Qui-Gon kneels and closes his eyes. Maul paces like a caged animal. Light vs Dark. Best bit of visual story telling in the whole damn movie and arguably in the whole PT!
Too many to rate here, so I'll go for a top 3 instead:
1. Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader (ESB)
2. Obi-Wan Kenobi & Qui Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul (TPM)
3. Anakin Skywalker vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS)
Dooku's simply standing there, waiting for every attack to come to his blade. His technique is superior in every way. Anakin uses raw power to his advantage, that's always how he's dueled. When they're locked, Anakin is giving it his all, and Dooku is able to kick back and taunt him. Look at the beginning of the fight. Dooku easily ducks one of Anakin's swings, then immediately takes to the high ground, using the terrain to his advantage. He then kicks Anakin away like some lame puppy while force choking Obi-Wan at the same time. Then, after Anakin kicks him, Dooku is ahead of Anakin in every strike except one: the one where he gets his hands chopped off.
These 3 seem to be getting the most votes and for good reason. I think most of us can agree these are the 3 best duels in the saga.
I know not the films but probably Savage and Maul vs Sidious in The Clone Wars, I loved that fight.
I also loved the fight between the two sith and two jedi in the The Old Republic Cinematic.
My favorite is Luke vs. Vader in ROTJ, I just love the way it is shot, the music, and the emotional impact of it.
The emotional and the story was great. Just didn't like the choreography. Looked like Mark Hamill was randomly hacking around.
Well at the end he pretty much was as his anger was guiding him but I like that....and it looked especially good in the early 80's when the film was released, to me anyways, and there is certainly a nostalgic reason for me liking it as well.