main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga What is your favourite Lightsaber Duel?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by wian, Jan 7, 2016.

?

What is your favourite Lightsaber Duel?

1. Luke Skywalker v Darth Vader Empire Strikes Back

20.8%
  2. Luke Skywalker v Darth Vader Return Of The Jedi

14.1%
  3. Obi-Wan Kenobi & Qui-Gon Jinn v Darth Maul The Phantom Menace

18.8%
  4. Obi-Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker v Count Dooku Attack Of The Clones

1.3%
  5. Yoda v Count Dooku Attack Of The Clones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Anakin Skywalker & Obi-Wan v Count Dooku Revenge Of The Sith

2.7%
  7. Mace Windu v Palpatine Revenge Of The Sith

1.3%
  8. Yoda v Palpatine Revenge Of The Sith

8.7%
  9. Obi-Wan v Anakin Skywalker Revenge Of The Sith

28.9%
  10. Rey v Kylo Ren The Force Awakens

3.4%
  1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Ray Park: the ultimate badass.

Honestly, I think that TPM's duel is rather underrated. I like that they actually show Jedi using their weapons in unconventional ways rather than just bashing each other with the blades. For example, Maul's final strike on Qui-Gon when he bashed him in the face with the hilt of his saberstaff to create an opening. Those small touches really make the fight for me.

2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    That dude in the lower right corner looks like he is relaxing at a beach! [face_laugh]

HevyDevy likes this.
  3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Definitely Obi-Wan vs Anakin in RotS.

Harbour and Alienware like this.
  4. Feologild

Feologild Jedi Knight

Nov 9, 2016
    Obi-Wan Kenobi v Anakin Skywalker Revenge Of The Sith

5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Obi-wan vs Anakin, then Luke vs Vader in RotJ not far behind.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 ST/Anthology/Fan Films Manager and Ewok Enthusiast star 5 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, missed this reply all those months back :p
    Oh well, I'll answer it now. The shot I was refering to is when Maul jumps off his speeder, flips over Qui-Gon and ignites his lightsaber. In that particular shot, Maul is CG.

Or at least I read that he was in a magazine some time shortly after the film was released :p

7. Mark Pierre

Mark Pierre Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2016
    Darth Vader vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi in ROTS.

I wish the full, uncut version of it was released.

Unmasked Vader was the first version of that character that actually scared me.

8. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    1.Obi-Wan VS Darth Vader - Revenge of the Sith 10/10
    -I like the speed, the paces of fighting, especially the first part. The part where they twirl the singer aboard was also silly, however, the whole fight was good. Also, You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you" carried a lot of emotion and You underestimate my powerful was fun to be heard. TFW *You underestimate my power*gets all legs and one arm chopped.
    2.Luke Skywalker VS Darth Vader - Return of the Jedi 9.9/10
    -That part after "Then perhaps she will" 'nuff said. Also, Vader's redemption
    3.Mace Windu VS Darth Sidious - Revenge of the Sith 9.5/10
    -Three Masters killed initially was silly, but after that, the part of Vaapad was magnificent. Hey, Sidious helped the environment by generating trillions of watts of electricity by "UNLIMITED POWER."
    Anakin's struggle was right, Hayden didn't suck, it was Lucas and Hayden is the scapegoat. Also the weight of the duel, the galaxy's fate on Windu's shoulder.
    4.Anakin and Obi-Wan VS Darth Tyrannus - Revenge of the Sith 9/10
    -Seriously underrated. The part when Anakin was hate fueled is amazing.
    5.Luke Skywalker VS Darth Vader - The Empire Strikes back. 8.999999/10
    -Good, also it is very dark, but I dislike it because of the old techniques, not their fault, though. NO, I AM YOUR FATHER.
    6.Obi-Wan VS Darth Vader - A New Hope 8.7/10
    -Classic. Also very mysterious

Oh and the hate?
    Obi-Wan Grievous - 0/10

Finland Skywalker and Alienware like this.
  9. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Wow, i managed to **** it up and vote for Dooku RotS. It's an underrated duel, but far from my favorite
    Obi vs Anakin is pure perfection, followed closely by TPM duel. I also really like TESB and ROTJ duels. TFA one is also not bad. The least favorite ones are ANH and AOTC duels. The rest of them are pretty decent and entertaining.

10. BillyDgenious

BillyDgenious Jedi Padawan

Oct 17, 2014
    hard for me to pick between Luke v Vader in ESB or ROTJ.... had to go with ESB though

11. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    TPM edges it out simply for Duel Of The Fates. One of my all time favourite pieces of music in general, let alone movie-wise. Plus the double-blade vs. two single blades and Park's own skill and improvisation mean it still says pretty fresh even now compared to the myriad ''two people hacking at each other'' duels (most of which were extremely well done to be fair, but still more variations on a single theme. Even Dooku ended up taking on Anakin and Kenobi separately pretty quickly.)

I also actually quite like how the final duel of TFA is NOT ''obviously'' choreographed. It really does look like two angry amateurs going at it with more passion than talent.

12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2003
    I went with the ROTJ duel. So much at stake there emotionally, and I love the colors and the choreography, and the music, and the setting and the characters, all of it.

I almost chose the Obi-Wan Vader duel in ROTS, but for all the great parts there were also some silly parts that edged it out for me. Otherwise, very pivotal.

I loved the ROTS duel with Dooku, and also the TPM duel. But mainly it was just for the choreography-that's it.

ESB was alright, but just...alright-mainly a lot like TFA's duel. Didn't like Rey vs. Ren much either, but it wasn't bad.

I still have a soft spot for Yoda vs. Dooku in AOTC. Still remember my amazement and awe at seeing Yoda duel for the first time. I'll never forget the feeling I got as Dooku ignited his lightsaber, just to see Yoda do the same.

Bottom of the list for me is probz ANH. Just cos of the overall way it was choreographed and shot. EVERY other duel in the saga outdoes it.

13. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    Yeah, both Yoda duels deserve an honorable mention. I don't care what the haters say, Yoda is a Jedi, and seeing him in action was amazing.

14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 6

Oct 3, 2016
    Yoda vs. Palpatine hands down. The two biggest badasses in the universe go at it and while both survive, Yoda gets the rest he deserves while Palpatine is electrocuted by his now-redeemed apprentice.

15. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    1- Obi vs Anakin
    2- Duel of the Fates
    3- TESB
    4- ROTJ
    5- Yoda vs Sheev
    6- Obi & Anakin vs Dooku
    7- Yoda vs Dooku
    8- Finn vs Kylo
    9- Rey vs Kylo
    10- Qui-Gon vs Maul (Tatooine)
    11- Mace vs Sheev
    12- Obi vs Grievous
    13- Obi vs Vader
    14- Obi Wan vs Dooku
    15- Anakin vs Dooku
    Something like that, i think.
    I also never understood why most people count Obi and Anakin duels with Dooku in AotC as 1 duel, only in RotS they take him together, they even say it, lol.

16. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    Gotta say Rey v. Kylo is definitely last for me, only moment of it that did much of anything for me was when she pulls the lightsaber from the snow. That moment was incredible but the rest was just kinda meh.

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
  17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 5

Jan 10, 2015
    I can't decide between Vader vs. Luke in TESB, the Duel of the Fates in TPM, or Ren vs. Rey in TFA.

Sarge and HevyDevy like this.
  18. Finland Skywalker

Finland Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 13, 2016
    That's a hard one. Rey vs Kylo?

19. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    The Bespin duel. The atmosphere, sound effects, saber strikes, music, and emotion were all on point. Plus, we had the huge reveal at the end of the fight.

20. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2020
    Update is needed, I guess...

For me the ranking would be:

01. Obi-Wan Kenobi & Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul
    (TPM) (10/10)

02. Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader
    (TESB) (9/10)

03. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader
    (ROTS) (8/10)

04. Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader
    (ROTJ) (8/10)

05. Rey Palpatine & FN-2187 vs. Kylo Ren
    (TFA) (8/10)

06. Yoda vs. Darth Sidious
    (ROTS) (7/10)

07. Rey Palpatine vs. Kylo Ren
    (TROS/Kef-Bir) (7/10)

08. Rey Palpatine vs. Kylo Ren
    (TROS/Kijimi) (7/10)

09. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. General Grievous
    (ROTS) (6,5/10)

10. Mace Windu vs. Darth Sidious
    (ROTS) (6,5/10)

11. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader
    (ANH) (6/10)

12. Obi-Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker vs. Darth Tyranus
    (ROTS) (5,5/10)

13. Obi-Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker vs. Darth Tyranus
    (AOTC) (5/10)

14. Yoda vs. Darth Tyranus
    (AOTC) (4/10)

15. Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul
    (TPM) (4/10)

(I did not count Luke's and Rey's visions on Dagobah and Kef-Bir. Also the praetorian guards had no lightsabers. Luke on Crait wasn't an actual duel aswell. Luke vs. Leia on Ajan Kloss was super nice but a bit too less to be counted I think. Qui-Gon vs. Maul on Tatooine was more of a teaser but I put it on last place because in my opinion it is an honour to be counted as a lightsaber duel. Is there any other duel I forgot to rank?)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  21. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Padawan star 1

May 30, 2020
    Duel of Fates in TPM gets my vote. I just love every single thing about it.

The music
    The 2 on 1 scenario
    The double bladed lightsaber
    Choreography
    Just seeing a red, blue and green lightsaber engaged in battle all in one shot
    Actually seeing a Jedi being killed and physically struck down unlike ANH
    The part of the battle when it’s just Obi-Wan v Maul
    When Maul is pacing back and forth like a caged animal while Qui Gon contemplates quietly
    The emotional side of Obi Wan

It really does just tick every single box for me and will always be a couple of notches above Obi Wan - Vader ROTS and Vader - Luke ROTJ

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  22. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Luke vs Vader in ROTJ is peak Cinema. The actual lightsaber fighting isn’t what makes the fight, it’s the meaning and story behind it that shapes it. ROTS Anakin ana Obi is also fantastic, but I’ll give the slight edge to the ROTJ fight.

I’ll never understand how people get most excited about the fight itself lol. I could care less if it looks flashy and epic. It’s the dialogue and story around the fight that make it memorable.

23. Drac39

Drac39 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    From a storytelling and technical standpoint nothing will beat the Bespin duel. If we are only judging based on fight choreography and spectacle nothing will beat the Naboo duel

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  24. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC 100 Day Star Wars Challenge Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Sep 30, 2012
    Ahsoka Tano vs. Darth Maul (The Clone Wars - Siege of Mandalore)

As epic as a lot of the duels were in the films, this duel destroyed everything we've seen. It wasn't like any other animated duel either, as motion capture was used, giving us realistic movements. It was absolutely insane, and something I've been craving to see for many, many years.

If we just include duels from the films, then probably Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Maul, followed by Rey vs. Kylo on the Death Star ruins.

darkspine10 likes this.
  25. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Anakin/Vader vs Obi-Wan by far. The environmental danger mixed with the superhuman choreography. An emotional climax between two people who had actual history together, and a pre-confrontation with Padme realizing the horror of Anakin's fall and being attacked mixed with the post-confrontation of Obi-Wan breaking down and Anakin growling in pain and you have the emotional climax of the Lucas hexology. "You were the Chosen One!"

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    darkspine10 likes this.