main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social What is your first memory of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Yeah, same here.

That line fits under the premise, "A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far, Far Away." The main thing is the early intention (in the 70s) to show a fictional time continuity between events on Earth and events in SW. The trailer suggests the events could be happening right now somewhere. The opening crawl with "A Long Time Ago...." suggests the events could be happening billions of years ago from our present Earth history. The trailer also has the line, "Star Wars, a billion years in the making, and it's coming to your galaxy this summer." This line again suggests the events in SW occurred on a scale billions of years ago.

These lines form a basic premise to SW that has yet to be followed through unless you look at abandoned universe material and peripheral material. I have been long fascinated by the idea of the droids reporting saga events into large mainframe computers that are able to withstand catastrophic events on a galactic-scale. This, to me, is the original premise of the Journal of the Whills. Also, I like to view the droids as inter-galactic emissaries capable of transmitting the saga to new galaxies. The message is this is how their high-technology galaxy with its united worlds went out and this could happen to you if you are not careful.

It's all fun and fantasy. But was it really intended from the beginning to be all fun and fantasy with no grounding of scientific realism? Why pay scientific consultants for a film series entrenched in fantasy? Concepts like Earth Day were new in the 1970s. The first Eearth Day was held in 1970. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Day SW has the wookies celebrating Life Day. See any parallels to Earth Day?

2. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    1977, three year old me standing in the theater seat a few rows back from the front. Looking up at the star destroyer on screen and looking up above my own head to make sure it wasn't really above me and just on the screen.

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I wasnt much older than you in 1977 (6 years old) but I also remember the crowd and how full the theater was.

4. Darth Langes

Darth Langes Jedi Padawan

Apr 26, 2020
    I was about 5 years old when me and my father bought a box set containing the first 6 movies. We first watched A New Hope. From then on I loved Star Wars. I espically liked the intro with its super cool music! :)

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Super cool music is right! [face_dancing]

6. Ihsan997

Ihsan997 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2021
    It’s honestly hard for me to remember because my father was a huge Star Wars fan, as were his friends, so I was surrounded by the merchandise from birth (I was born in the 80s). I can vaguely remember a stuffed Ewok that creeped me out as a toddler.

BONUS CREEP FACTOR: while writing this post, I opened another window for a Google image search. As soon as I typed in “stuffed,” Google suggestions filled in “Ewok from the 80s” for me. I didn’t even make this post yet. The Imperial Intelligence Bureau is watching...

7. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    I read about Star Wars in a magazine in May, 1977, went and bought the novelization and read it about a week before I saw the movie. There are quite a few differences between the movie and the book, I noticed that right away. I was 26 years old.

8. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    You were raised like my son Luke. He had no hope, and is a massive fan too at 21.

As for the Imperial Intelligence Bureau...........join the Rebellion ;) :p

9. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    My first exposure to Star Wars was a bit nontraditional. I was born in 1979 so my formative years occurred after the OT. I grew up in a strict, very conservative home, where we didn’t watch many mainstream movies. I had never heard of Star Wars through the early 80s. I was, however, a voracious reader. One day, in 4th grade (1989ish), I was in my elementary school library during recess. I saw a kids novel called Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. "Jedi"...never heard of that word but it sounded cool. Even better was the cover. Loved the artwork. I checked out the book and could not put it down. It’s funny because it wasn't until years later did I realize the droids were called C-3PO and R2-D2. The book always spelled them out phonetically. SEE-THREE-PEE-O and ARTOO-DEETO. [face_laugh]

For some reason it didn’t dawn on me that I was reading a conclusion to a trilogy of movies. I didn’t care, I LOVED this story. Then something shocking happened. About midway through, there was a section with several images from the movies. *shock* That was the first time I realized these books were adapted from movies that had already come out!
    I asked my mother if she would rent the VHS tapes from the local video store for me. I showed her the book then opened up to the picture section. She took one look at Salacious Crumb and said no way. hahaha.

I never forgot that book and its story. I found out there were two prequels (but never found the books for those). Eventually I discovered the movies on my own, about two years later. By this time I was 12. There was a Star Wars marathon on the USA channel I believe. I watched them all and loved EVERYTHING about the movies (Yoda, Han/Leia, Palpatine, Mon Mothma..haha, everything) and I am as passionate about them now as I was then.

10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I love that story @dolphin !!! Its brilliant and so awesome that its still so clear in your memory.

11. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I wanted to say, "What is this Star Wars you people keep talking about?!?" But, naaahhh...

My dad took me. 1977. Sitting in the Showcase Cinema and seeing it in all it's glory. Others have said it 1000 times better than I ever could. Still, every time I pop in the movie, the Star Destroyer comes on the screen... and keeps coming on... and KEEPS COMING ON... WHEN WILL THIS DAMN THING END?!? So good. So good.

Then I read Splinter of the Minds Eye and could've sworn that was the next movie coming out. Even did a poster for it for a school project. In hindsight, I'm glad that was not meant to be.

I fell out of it for a long while, but got back into it when the prequels came out and been a big fan ever since!

12. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    I already have given out my first memory but to be honest there are so many more memories to add such as every trip to see each new film to the present day and back in the day all the various re-releases at the cinema collecting all the VHS back in the day to the present time of DVD and Blu Ray releases and as said earlier trying as a kid to get as many of the toys to the present day of trying to pick up merchandise.
    I have just bought my three year old nephew his first lightsabre and he is trying to copy the lightsabre fights while watching the films and my brother is teaching him phrases like "use the force Luke" so hopefully he will have some SW memories in the future

Adalia-Durron and DarthIshyZ like this.
  13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    You are a Legend @bb8isno1 - this is how it's generational! My son is 21 (Luke) and still a massive fan and now my nephew, who I gave a lightsaber for his 8th and he had no idea what it was has been influenced by his big cousin, my boy. Now 14 year old Kane is a huge fan and even wanted to show his friends my house (I said no) because he was in awe of my collection. I adore that is gone on [face_love]

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My first memory has to do with Lego or Star Wars battlefront II. I don’t know which came first, but I know I played both before I ever watched a movie

The Senate and Adalia-Durron like this.
  15. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I agree that it's wonderful how generational SW is! All of my children grew up with it (thanks to me) and my 22 year old son has quite a bit of memorabilia that he's bought, including Legos. I even bought him the Lego Death Star when he was about 11 years old. And now my 5 year old Grandson and 8 year old Granddaughter are fans. I love sharing my love for SW with them.

DarthIshyZ and Adalia-Durron like this.
  16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Beautiful_Disaster likes this.
  17. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    I was born in the early 2000s so I remember first playing the Lego Star Wars the complete saga game. I understood who the characters and the story a bit from the cutscenes in the game. I also remember watching a few Clone Wars episodes from season one and learning a bit from my friends. Then when I was around 7 or 8 my Dad finally let me watch the movies but sadly I already knew a lot about the story and was shown the prequels first.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  18. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    * Sitting here thinking that, by the time @The Senate was born, I was already over 30 *

@Sarge, I need to borrow your walker.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sorry, @DarthIshyZ , I loaned it to my old buddy Veers and he just phoned me here at the rest home to tell me it tripped and fell over on some ice planet. Don't you hate it when that happens? Now how am I supposed to get from my bed to the john in the middle of the night. My prostate just ain't what it used to be. Darned kids have no respect for other people's things. If I'd let that happen my friend's walker, you can bet your last guinea I'd be going out to replace it before the cock crowed, but this younger generation, no, they don't ever take responsibility. Whole world's going to heck in a handbasket, I'm telling you. Shut up now. Matlock is on.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  20. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    [face_rofl]
    I love you, man.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Will you pipe down!! I'm trying to watch The Golden Girls here!!

Shoves walker away from her bed

Borrow mine you winging pain in the .........glances at @Bardan_Jusik .........SHEBS!!! Ignore the purple diamantes all over it :p

Bardan_Jusik, Sarge and DarthIshyZ like this.
  22. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I was about 4/5, which puts it at 2000/2001. I'd seen the originals, and I was either waiting for the VHS of Phantom Menace to come out or I'd already seen it.

My nan used to listen to the radio as she went to sleep, and one morning she woke up and heard them talking about a competition giveaway of loads of Star Wars figures. Apparently, I was a big fan of SW (though I can't actually remember that part since this is my first memory of it) so she entered the competition and won.

All I can remember is I had loads of figures, the Rancor pit, and the Rancor itself. I got rid of them when I was around 9/10, Nan did try to convince me to keep them in case they'd be worth something when I was older but I was a stubborn kid. Not entirely sure which collectibles I had but I'm pretty sure they'd fetch a good price on eBay if I still had them.

Not my first memory, but sharing this because it's wholesome - once I was out shopping with my Nan when I was around 9, and I really wanted the Revenge of the Sith PS2 game. She told me I couldn't have it today but she'd get it soon. Then, on the bus home, she told me to peek into her handbag - and there was Revenge of the Sith. Such a great moment and I still remember how excited I was on the bus ride home.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  23. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    I must ask did you play as Obi Wan or Anakin?

Adalia-Durron and DarthIshyZ like this.
  24. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    Sitting in the theater and watching the ship move overhead covering the whole screen. Then the blaster fire, and then Vader coming through that door. The most exciting intro to any movie I have ever seen! I was mesmerized the whole time, back then they didn't make you leave the theater after your show was finished. I proceeded in the 3 weeks that followed to spend my entire Saturday going to the theater and rewatching the movie all day long.

25. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Seeing Attack of the Clones in the cinema. I was seven years old at the time. Apparently, my mum says she did take me to see The Phantom Menace, but I guess I must have been too little to remember it.

I remember liking Attack of the Clones. But it was Revenge of the Sith which fully cemented my love for Star Wars.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    DarthIshyZ likes this.