main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Social What is your first memory of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Yeah, same here.

That line fits under the premise, "A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far, Far Away." The main thing is the early intention (in the 70s) to show a fictional time continuity between events on Earth and events in SW. The trailer suggests the events could be happening right now somewhere. The opening crawl with "A Long Time Ago...." suggests the events could be happening billions of years ago from our present Earth history. The trailer also has the line, "Star Wars, a billion years in the making, and it's coming to your galaxy this summer." This line again suggests the events in SW occurred on a scale billions of years ago.

These lines form a basic premise to SW that has yet to be followed through unless you look at abandoned universe material and peripheral material. I have been long fascinated by the idea of the droids reporting saga events into large mainframe computers that are able to withstand catastrophic events on a galactic-scale. This, to me, is the original premise of the Journal of the Whills. Also, I like to view the droids as inter-galactic emissaries capable of transmitting the saga to new galaxies. The message is this is how their high-technology galaxy with its united worlds went out and this could happen to you if you are not careful.

It's all fun and fantasy. But was it really intended from the beginning to be all fun and fantasy with no grounding of scientific realism? Why pay scientific consultants for a film series entrenched in fantasy? Concepts like Earth Day were new in the 1970s. The first Eearth Day was held in 1970. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Day SW has the wookies celebrating Life Day. See any parallels to Earth Day?

2. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 18, 2020
    1977, three year old me standing in the theater seat a few rows back from the front. Looking up at the star destroyer on screen and looking up above my own head to make sure it wasn't really above me and just on the screen.

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd The Mandalorian / Manager of WNU/CT/Saga star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I wasnt much older than you in 1977 (6 years old) but I also remember the crowd and how full the theater was.

4. Dirk Hagen

Dirk Hagen Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2020
    I was about 5 years old when me and my father bought a box set containing the first 6 movies. We first watched A New Hope. From then on I loved Star Wars. I espically liked the intro with its super cool music! :)

5. Princess_Tina

Princess_Tina Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Super cool music is right! [face_dancing]