main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social What is your first memory of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 23, 2012.

1. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    I was 8 and at a weird stage in my life where I imagined everything I saw walking into my bedroom at night... so C-3P0 terrified me. I watched until the garbage compactor scene before deciding it was too much ;) In a way, tho, it was better that I didn't watch the whole thing because I had no interest at the time, and because I was always the kid who hadn't seen Star Wars, there was this pressure to watch it... and... I fell in love... hopelessly ;) (My dad has been trying to make me pay 25 cents every time I mention Star Wars at dinner. Hypothetically, I'm broke by now)

2. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    I was 12 years old and read about The Phantom Menace in the TV Guide book, and was then allowed to stay up and watch it. The Boonta Eve Classic scenes really piqued my interest; I then wondered aloud if I could somehow get a pod-racer in real life and then become champion.

After a while, two blue Twi'leks appeared on screen wearing, to be honest, not much. This utterly blew my mind as a teenager and I thought that they were the most beautiful beings in the world at this point in my life, so that was where my deep interest for the species came from.

But, the lightsaber fights between Darth Maul and Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan were what really drew me into the franchise; I literally cheered in excitement when Maul was cleaved in half by Obi-Wan and plummeted down the shaft to an almost certain death.

3. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    I've got to admit that to start off with I wasn't interested in SW.
    My dad and my cousin decided to show ANH to me and my sister on Christmas. I had no interest at the time and was busily playing some game on some gaming console. After a little bit I got quite interested and went around to watch it. I was slightly confused because I had missed the first 20 minutes or so. I got hooked and ended up watching the rest. My dad made sure to show me the first part later on :p

DarthIshyZ, ThisIsMe1138 and Ava G. like this.
  4. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Okay, this isn't really my first memory but a kind of funny Star Wars first. After seeing only ANH and ESB and knowing the very vague plot of the other movies, the first Star Wars book I read was the Attack of the Clones Junior Novelization. I have 100% no idea why :p

5. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Age 3 watching luke take the helmet off Darth Vader.

I was not scared only fascinated at what caused him to look like that.

6. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    :)

When I was a small child, I did not understand that ROTJ, ESB, and ANH were part of the same series of movies. ANH is driven by dialogue that is too heavy for children. If children do not understand the concepts of rebellion, empire, plans, and deathstar, the film is too difficult to follow. Those are adult concepts.

I had to put together the scenes from ANH to figure out they are part of the same film. In my mind, all of the scenes were disconnected because I could not follow the film. A BIG However..................once I was able to follow ANH from start to finish, it became my favorite film of all-time in that moment.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    DarthIshyZ and Emperor Ferus like this.
  7. OzRadio

OzRadio Jedi Knight

Jul 2, 2018
    Loved the movies as a kid and, of course, you couldn't rewatch them whenever you wanted back in the early 1980s. I remember having a story book and accompanying record with a retelling of the first film narrated on it. It was a 45 size record, not a full length LP. It probably wasn't long, maybe 10 or 15 minutes, but I had that memorized from beginning to end and I'd recite along with the narrator. I should try and find it on eBay.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  8. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    A New Hope. I saw it at a friend's house when I was younger. I totally loved it, but at the age I was this was pretty much my comprehension of the movie.

Luke was a kid living with some random people, he was their slave and did all their chores. R2-D2 was saving Leia by showing Luke the holo-message. (I specifically remember being so proud of R2 for saving her) And the scene where Ben turns off the tractor beam, I didn't realize that the stormtroopers were a danger. I literally thought that the reason they couldn't leave the Death Star was because the place to turn the tractor beam off was really high up, and there was a danger of falling off. For me that was the most frightening scene in the entire movie, because I so thought he was going to fall off. :):):)

9. libraryMom1

libraryMom1 Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2019
    They’d always been on at my house since I was young so it’s hard to know my reaction to first seeing them. However I do remember the first time actually sitting down to watch a few of them.

TPM I remember watching with my mom and cousin during a sleep over. I remember it being really long and confusing. I loved it :)

ROTS I remember seeing in theaters but not my actual reaction.

ANH I liked it but was mad when Vader didn’t reveal himself to be Luke’s father bc I thought that happened in this one.

ROTJ I knew Vader’s mask would come off and I was deathly afraid of seeing his face.

10. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Welcome @libraryMom1 !! You're new around here. Great memories, probably the same or similar the the ones my kids had growing up!! Raised a SW Kid is always good Parenting!

11. KithuraVess

KithuraVess Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2008
    My first memory of Star Wars was a friend of mine who had a Star Wars poster in his room. I must have been around six or seven, but I remember my brother looked at the poster and said something like "Oh yes I know Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father". =P
    And then a few years later my brother rented the VHS for ANH (wow... renting VHS... those were the days) and I tried watching it with him, and was just so confused and kept asking him what was going on, until he told me to leave and watched it with headphones. xD

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  12. Poemander

Poemander Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2018
    I was maybe 5 or 6 when my parents started letting me rent ANH from the video store. I say ANH because the other two were always checked out. After a while, I got really tired of ANH because I had seen it so many times. However, since 90% of the time I was only able to get ANH...this made it so when I DID get to rent the other two, it was more of an event and something to really appreciate.

I also remember that for some odd reason I thought ROTJ was number two in the trilogy...not really sure why.

13. Calathar44

Calathar44 Jedi Padawan

Nov 13, 2018
    I remember watching the movies on VHS when I was about 5 years old.

I remember really liking the Death Star Battle in ANH and the climax in the throne room in RotJ. I was scared of Jabba's palace, in particular the Gonk droid having its feet burned.

I saw ROTS when it came out, and I loved it. The Battle of Coruscant was my favorite part, and I was really involved for the rest of the movie, and sad after Order 66. I also apparently thought that during the opera house scene Palpatine was telling Anakin about someone else named Darth Vader, which he later adopted the name of. I actually thought this for a few years afterword.

DarthIshyZ and Ananta Chetan like this.
  14. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    So newbies, tell us!

Mine was standing in a line outside a theater to see ANH in 1977!!! YES I AM THAT OLD!! Stood with a friend, (who is still a friend and a fan) and her mum for two hours to get in. In Australia we didn't get it till the September 1977 so we knew it was a smash hit by then and were desperate to see it! Saw it a further 5 times in the coming weeks. Changed my life.

15. Darth Fennell

Darth Fennell Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2020
    My first memory is from early 1999. My local movie theater showed the original trilogy over 3 days a week before Episode 1 came out. My dad wasn't a huge Star Wars fan or anything, but he had seen them when he was a kid and thought it would be neat to take me. One of the coolest experiences of my early childhood that started a livelong love. Thanks dad!

afterlight and Ananta Chetan like this.
  16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I strained my neck the first time I saw ANH. In May of 1977, my Aunt took me to see it the theaters and we arrived late. The only seats available where first row center.

17. Darrin Williams

Darrin Williams Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2020
    Standing in line to see ROTJ at the theater. I remember it taking forever to get inside and to some seats. I also remember running around pretending I was Luke for months afterward. The young mind is such a mysterious thing!

18. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    My mother had a soft spot for the films, and so I first watched them on TV as a kid — but I’m not sure how much of what I really remember from those earliest years; what’s memory and what’s only the afterimage of memory. I’m pretty sure I remember watching Empire, specifically, in the living room when I was still young enough to confuse “lightsaber” and “lifesaver.”

The 1997 rerelease was the first time I saw Star Wars in theaters. Funnily enough, I don’t remember much about the actual screening of the film, only sitting in my dad’s Miata in the parking lot before or after the film. It’s weird, the stuff your memory chooses to preserve.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Like many I first saw the original Star Wars films on VHS (the 1995 re-release). First time seeing the Stormtroopers and Vader entering Tantive IV in ANH I remember blowing my little mind at the time. I was really into robots and Transformers at the time so I was excited to see the Stormtroopers as I originally thought they were droids, it's kinda funny how looking back how many misconceptions I had as a kid.

My first Star Wars movie theater experience was seeing ROTS at a drive in movie theater (yes they were still around).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    afterlight and Darrin Williams like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I grew up on the 95 VHS's too. I think we may still have them.

Adalia-Durron and afterlight like this.
  21. Darrin Williams

Darrin Williams Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2020
    I remember watching the OT as a kid over and over and I loved those guys dressed in all red. Imperial guard maybe? They never really did anything but I just thought they looked so cool!

22. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I don't remember if I ever answered this question before, and I'm not sure what my earliest memory was, but I think it was waiting in line to see ESB. The line was the longest I think had ever seen at that time. And the movie theatre had a mural of SW characters painted on it, and one of the characters was Vader. I remember I was terrified of him at the time (I was 5 years old). I was also afraid of the wampa, and it made me jump the first time he just appeared and attacked Luke. So everytime after that for a while, I would hide my eyes when I knew it was going to happen.[face_tee_hee]

23. Director Krennic

Director Krennic Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2020
    I cannot remember the original screenings, or indeed anything like them, but my own first memories are of A New Hope and date to when I was about six or seven. We were living on the west coast of Scotland at the bridge over the River Albannach and had no television signals, but we did have the three Star Wars films on video tape.

I particularly remember the late Peter Cushing as Governor Tarkin - he had a remarkable face, very gaunt and austere, beautifully spoken and charming though a ruthless military man. Unlike many other antagonists he did not rant, cackle or shout - he was fascinating.

DarthIshyZ and Sarge like this.
  24. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    My father and I were driving past North Street Shopping Center on Padanaram Road in Danbury, CT. It was the summer of 1977. I was seven years old. I looked up at the giant sign in the parking lot that belonged to Cinema Theatre. The sign seemed to be bigger than the galaxy itself. It was a giant white sign with black capital letters spelling out the words STAR WARS.

“What is Star Wars?” I asked.

“It’s a movie about space,” he replied.

DarthIshyZ and Adalia-Durron like this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Well... he wasn't entirely wrong...