main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What is your greatest fear about Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ponda_Baba, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    lol brace yourself - I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

Might be interesting, though. Ghost Anakin might have different ideas about how Luke should rebuid the Jedi Order than the sprits of Yoda & Obi-Wan. This conflict would create an interesting situation for our favorite farm boy.

Although I sorta think having the ghosts around muddles things, and am a fan of Zahn's choice to remove Obi-Wan from the equation in the second chapter of Heir to the Empire.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The only definition I could find on dictionary.com for "political" was "exercising or seeking power in the government or public affairs of a state, municipality, etc.--a political machine, a political boss". The definition for "politics" was the "science or art of political affairs."

How is this less met in the PT, when the PT is entirely about Palpatine seeking power and creating the Empire, and the OT is about the Empire exercising power?

The PT, and even more so TCW, had the political bull**** that one finds in RL from watching C-SPAN. The OT had Alliance leaders directing Alliance members how to rid themselves of an oppressive dictator, and Vader and Tarkin vying for power on the Death Star.

And

Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that the absence of war is chaos?

I'm expecting intragalactic or maybe intergalactic conflict in the ST, but I thought of something else that I don't want to see: a depiction of the Dave Filoni definition of a pacifist.

"We can't defend ourselves! We're pacifists!" Dry that one out and you could fertilize the forest moon of Endor.

3. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I don't wanna join this particular discussion but I feel I should point out a small error here. I believe Lee_ is saying the OT has politics but less than the PT, not the PT has less politics than the OT as anakinfansince1983 has appeared to have understood @Lee_'s post. [face_peace]

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah, OK, you're right...my bad. "Less than in the PT" vs "less so than in the PT".

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    OT politics were in the background where they belonged. PT politics were center stage. I like politics better in the background.
    I bought a ticket to see Star Wars, not Star Move for a Vote of No Confidence in the Chancellor.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I found the way Palpatine manipulated the existing system to elevate himself into absolute power, to be fascinating and disgusting at the same time.

And best relegated to the PT.

The ST could easily depict squabbling politicians trying to rebuild the Republic with a typical "mine mine mine!" attitude towards their home worlds, and if it does, I hope we only see 10 minutes or less.

Pro Scoundrel , Sarge and Immortiss like this.
  7. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, a seeming contradiction. Let me try to explain.

Politics is the way we work out our differences and conflicts without resulting to armed conflict, which is chaotic or destructive. If people stop working out their differences within political institutions, or if the rule of law fails, chaos ensues. An absence of politics results in chaos.

The threat of war, destruction, chaos is always part of politics and is often used for political gain. Waging war is an extension and expression of political power. The ability to repel or rebel, but also the ability to coerce or force others to comply with political ends. War is a political mean for a political end.

All of this reminds me...I hope the politics in the ST is there, but not front and center.

anakinfansince1983: Kudos for finding the contradiction.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I want POLITICS!!!!!! UNLIMITED POLITICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, you are correct. PT was really a story about corruption and politics (Lucas pointed this out himself), and where you draw the line- at what point does it become treason to go against a government that has a lot of corruption? When do you become a good guy for leaving a government and going against it, or when are you just a traitor? Watching the deleted scenes from ROTS gives some more insight into this part of the story (a subplot that was removed for the sake of the movie being too long); the novel gives a WHOLE LOT more insight. In Anakin's turn to the dark side, one of the things Palp uses to twist his mind is the actual fact that the Senate IS very corrupt (a fact, not something Palp is totally lying to him about, I am not talking about corruption brought on by Palp, but that which was already present in the Senate without Palp), and that the Jedi are in full support of these corrupt people (something Yoda actually expresses some regret about later in the book). Count Dooku left the Jedi order because he believed the Jedi were supporting a corrupt Senate, and a passage describes how he honestly believed the Sith were better for the galaxy in that they would wipe out the corrupt Senate and run the galaxy the way it should be run. This is FULL of earth parallels, in everything from the Nazis to Shakespeare stories (e.g. Julius Cesar).

The OT does have some politics. The opening scene of ANH contains a discussion of how capturing and holding Leia might "bring sympathy for the rebellion in the Senate;" the Senate is referenced in another scene also. But clearly, there way less than in the PT.

I think the ST will be somewhere in between.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    My fear comes from how J.J Abram's Star Trek:Into Darkness is a movie-length reference of a better movie (Wrath of Khan). It would be way too easy to do the same with Episode VII. Of course there will be parallels and call-backs but i don't want a climactic moment to be a line from the OT, the way Into Darkness handled Kirk's famous scream, and i don't want any pandering to fans in the same way. The parallel nature of the Star Trek Reboots is partially built into them by the whole Dimensional set-up, while Star Wars will have no such thing, so maybe i'll be spared this. Just please, don't have a moment where Han says 'i always shoot first' or the like.

I also hope we get a new Big Bad, because although Palpatine is fun i feel any more would cheapen Vader's final acts.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm afraid that the Sith will either:
    1. Will be made up of individuals who aren't a threat alone
    2. Will become "of the week" villains (Anybody remember when the Death Star was the ultimate evil in Star Wars?)

12. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    About that, I can't help wondering how much the Sith have been responsible for the spreading corruption of the galaxy and the Senate since Bane remade them. Sidious's rise to ultimate power has been described as a grand plan that's been in motion for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that, over the centuries, this plan included murdering/otherwise purging influent individuals, senators families, clans, corporations, etc., known for their honesty, honor and integrity.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    GL has said things that would confirm the Sith not to be responsible for the corruption in the Republic unless GL was only talking about planetary governments being corrupt.

14. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    My fear is that the sequels will rehash the same plot as the first 6 movies. If the next 3 movies are about one of the Solo kids growing up, turning to the dark side, and then getting redeemed, well, we have already seen that.

I recognize that certain themes can be the same, but other themes should be explored. I think Lucas mentioned that he envisioned the sequels exploring knighthood. I like that idea.

Sarge, Immortiss and darklordoftech like this.
  15. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Please no falls to the dark side and redemption stories. I totally agree with darthgator1217 here.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    As do I. I've been saying this for some time.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I wouldn't mind a turn to the dark side as long as the character comes to their senses before this trilogy ends and doesn't destroy their entire life like Anakin did. I think the rival sibling theme could be interesting if done right. It's not my favorite idea but I'd be open to it (I definitely wouldn't want it to play out like the EU.)

18. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That it will cancel the upcoming trilogy Sword of the Jedi.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That the EU will be retconned to the point of becoming a cancer on Star Wars.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Ah yes, knighthood.

The ST will be feature a member of the Old Jedi Order coming back to help Luke maintain his chastity and stop thinking naughty thoughts about his twin sister.

There will be a cameo by the girl with three boobs from Total Recall. Fans will nod their heads in approval.

The Old Jedi Master will rescue Luke from the peril of Castle Anthrax.

Sarge and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  21. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I just pray that this movie doesn't blow chunks.

22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Corruption that had nothing to do with Sidious was certainly a problem in the Senate before his rise to power; he would use his rise in power to infect it with more corruption that would benefit his own level of control.

23. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I agree, no re-hash of the plots from the first 6.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That it won't compare to the NJO in giving us an exciting next generation, a new exciting enemy, a successful conclusion to the Big 3's story and the galaxy at peace.

25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    You know, this reminds me of that t-shirt that GL used to wear, with all the film critics' critiques about what the original Star Wars sorely lacked, and one of them was politics. Now, all you hear is how the PT had too much politics. Go figure.

FRAGWAGON likes this.