main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What is your greatest hope about Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jul 3, 2013.

1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Here's my list of things that give me hope:

1. The casting directors. I mean anybody who cast Game of Thrones and the Star Trek Reboot has a lot of respect from me and I dont doubt that they will give us a new cast that we can all love......and grow incredibly protective over to the point that we harass anybody who says any critisism about them ;)
    2. JJ Abrams cause he has the wonderful ability to create new ships (fangirl term for two characters relationships whether it be canon or not. Example: Spirk) and give me sooo many feels that I get depressed (like what his damn Star Trek movies do to me. Soo many feels...so little time). I both love and hate him for the things his movies do to me
    3. Arndt because he wrote Toy Story 3 which is like the bestest movie ever. Also I still hope that Disney someday releases him from "The Disney Vault" cause I want to hear from him. I really hope Disney didn't kill him right after finishing the script just to avoid the possibility of a script leak or him revealing details in an interview or something. Also my nickname for him and Abrams is "Double A", we just need a third A so we can call them "The Triple A Team" :D
    4. The idea of not knowing everything. One of the problems with prequels in general is that in the end we all know what is going to happen. We know who will live, who will die and the outcome of events. Here we legit know nothing so that will make the speculation a LOT more interesting
    5. New cast because hey...I always like seeing new people....especially the pretty ones *JJ you better not fail me cause your Star Trek cast is beautiful, your Star Wars cast better be too*. Also I want the cast to actually be good actors and good people in general *I hate hearing stories about how some actors are just these mean people who dont care about the fans and only show up to events if they are paid*. I say we should find a new Star Wars cast that both good actors, and like huge Star Wars fans who will go to these conventions not cause they are being paid but because they generally want to be there. Yes I know its probably none of our business what an actors real life is like but...you know I like hearing nice things about actors.
    6. "The Comparison Factor" which is basicly the idea that "Well it can't be worse than the last films". It helps a lot when you have something to compare your current film to *whether it be good or bad*
    7. While this hope technicly isn't from somebody involved in the making of the film, I just want to add in the whole new generation of Star Wars fans we will get. My little sis is a HUGE star wars fan and I can't wait to actually watch the films in theatres with her *even though she is a very big skeptic of the new films and has a bad tendancy to get mad at me whenever I say there is a new cast. Oh kids today*
    8. The glorious fan fic and fan art that will no doubt arise from this film. Now I'm a big tumblr user so I always enjoy seeing fan art, manips, ect about movies and I REALLY hope that SW7 brings us some good fics/art to entertain me while I wait for episode 8
    9. *waits for inevitable bad backlash* Lack of George Lucas. Sorry but I dont trust that guy anymore. I sometimes even worry about the quality of his outline *speaking of which I do wonder this: When it was said that Arndt was writing the movie it said he wrote a 30+ page outline for the film and sequels. Were those his own original outline or just an expanded and more indepth version of Lucas's notes. I'm confused*
    10. The possibility of a female protagonist. That really excites me and I hope its done well *also I like the idea of some Star Wars femslash cause I have too many normal slash couples* ;)

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Gentle, soothing reminder: This is not a PT (or OT) bashing thread. It is a thread that is optimistic by nature. It has "hope" in the title. PT (or OT) bashing will result in people "hoping" that they can log back in.

3. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    As many have stated the hope of the unknown. It will be pretty cool to walk into SW movie for the first time since 1983 and not know what will happen & who will survive? I'm trying to figure out at what point do I start staying away from SW sites in fear of any spoilers as I really want to go spoiler free with the exception of the trailers and promotional in interviews.

4. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    I'm hoping for a movie that will captivate all ages, but on different levels -- so far it appears we are on track to get this with Arntd.
    Toy Story 3 is a great example of a movie that engages all audiences; there was humor that was over the head of my children but still funny to them, and although it was targeted to children, I could relate - having seen the previous movies when I was much younger.

I remember seeing Star Wars with my whole family in the theater when I was 7 years old. Each of us got something different out of the film than the rest of us, but everyone enjoyed it just the same.

5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    1. $2 billion worldwide
    2. 96% on Rottentomatoes.com
    3. 8.9 on IMDB
    4. A+ on cinemascore.com
    5. Massive love & respect all over the Internet........

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    My greatest hope was realized when they announced Episode VII!

7. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    My greatest hope is that Luke finally gets his Power Converters. That plot line needs closure like nobody's business. I mean, are we really supposed to think that Luke lost interest in the scene at Anchorhead just because he had to confront Vader? He is a Tosche Station guy and always will be. Wait til he gets back on his Skyhopper with new Power Converters--he'll really be able to bullseye womprats in Beggar's Canyon now--he's a friggin' Jedi. Between his mastery of the Force and the Power Converters he will be unstoppable. I almost pity the womprats in Beggar's Canyon at this point!

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    My greatest hope is that VII will be so bad, and do so poorly at the box office that it is the last Star Wars movie ever made and leads to the complete end of the entire franchise. If that happens I will be so happy.

Ganger likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Wow. Way to stay positive there. :p

10. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    That it might actually be better than even the Original Trilogy.

I love those movies but I don't think a Star Wars film has ever had a writer quite like Arndt behind it before. Man is bonafide oscar worthy.

11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope it's a movie I want to watch all the time, like the others...well, some of the others.

12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Put simply, my greatest hope is that Episode VII kick starts a new trilogy of well made, adventurous films which retain the very best of what Star Wars has to offer.

Less generally, my biggest thrill is that I could actually get to see Luke Skywalker back on the big screen again (something I've been waiting 30 years to see, and frankly, I had figured we would never actually see it happen)! The fact that Leia and Han look as though they will be there, too, only adds to the joy.

And since this is a "biggest hope" thread, I suppose one of my bigger hopes is something I don't really expect to see happen, and this is for Luke to survive all three films of the ST (though in a sense, with the opportunity for Luke to appear as a Force ghost, I guess I do expect it in some form).

As far as straight-up fun and delight, I can't wait for the first time we see Luke ignite his trusty, old green lightsaber from ROTJ, and when the Millennium Falcon comes on the screen, I'm sure to be beaming from ear-to-ear.

Though I feel a bit silly admitting it, I'm also excited for the new action figures which will accompany the film.

Story-wise, I'm really quite excited about the possibilities the new characters will bring to us and I look forward to a whole new group of heroes and villains to fall in love with.

Specifically, I'm very interested in the family dynamic between the Big3 and their children. I heard it put this, way: in Anakin, we witnessed a child with no father (save the Force) and a mother who he was removed from, then we were shown Luke and Leia, who had loving parental-figures, but who were also not raised by their birth-parents, and now, with the children of the OT heroes, for the first time, we could be in store for an intact, traditional family unit.

The dynamic I most look forward to seeing at play is Luke and a son, in an actual healthy Skywalker father and son relationship (which is something I've wondered about for a very long time, indeed), but I'm also very interested in seeing the effects of a whole family, with Han, Leia and their child/children. These would be things we've not yet seen addressed in the Star Wars films, and especially with Luke and Leia (assuming she is a Jedi), seeing how family relationships come in to play against the Old Jedi Order's no attachments mandate could be fascinating.

Like everyone, I'm curious who's child/children will play the role of the protagonist/hero(es), and though I'm personally pulling for Luke's son, if the writers are feeling adventurous, what I'd really like to see is Han and Leia's daughter join Luke's son in a dual-lead, with each undergoing a hero's journey of their own. I don't know that they will dare attempt something like this, but I think that would really be something new for the franchise, and a challenge for the filmmakers to pull off. Boy, could something like this be great.

But you know what? I know that I'm not the one making these films, and even if there are things I hope to see, I'm committed to keeping myself as wide open as possible to whatever they give us. As long as Episode VII feels like a Star Wars movie (and not just another forgettable summer blockbuster), I'm ready to be taken along for the ride.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Ching Dai will be appeased, my curse will be lifted! :)

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  14. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Great thread! It's easier to be a downer than an optimist these days.

Without giving it that much thought I would love to have the following:

- Luke as the leader of a new jedi order where jedis can love and have families. They are no longer the prequel weird monks/detectives with no soul.
    - Han as a retired veteran who doesn't have that much to do in his life because there is finally peace in the galaxy (for a little while). I'd love to see him involved in clandestine racing with Chewie on the falcon at the beggining. Reliving his roguish days as an old rehabilitated pirate.
    - Leia is force sensitive but uses her powers not as a jedi but as a political leader.
    - No force ghosts.
    - 3po and R2 carrying this film like they did in A New Hope. No R2 rockets please.
    - New planets.
    - No Sith. Bad guys should be corrupt and powerful groups, not force sensitive. In order for this trilogy to work, there can be good vs evil but not necessary jedi vs sith.
    - New side characters could be classic species. You don't have to invent a new species for a new character, the universe is rich as it is in this particular subject. I would love to see some rodian minor character with dialogue, mon calamarian, etc.
    - I would love to see classic imperial ships like the star destroyers used for other purposes in an empire free galaxy. Maybe as cargo or something like that.
    - No mentions of midi chlorians.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I really hope this happens!

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    -A plot that turns all of our expectations on its head
    -Memorable lines that will enter pop culture
    -Great twists along the way that none of us see coming
    -Just one moment where Han calls Luke "Kid"
    -The great visual symbolism to remain
    -A villain we won't see coming but somehow still connects the three trilogies in a way none of us could guess
    -Luke with a three film arc that sees him fully rebuild the Jedi Order and dying in a way he chooses
    -Leia putting the Republic on the right track and not dying at all
    -Han coming full circle and now being that "old fossil" the new heroes rely on at the beginning
    -Chewbacca not crushed by a moon and still riding shotgun in the Falcon

17. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    HOW DID YOU GET INSIDE MY BRAIN?!?!

Seriously, very good way to put it.

18. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i hope for the far far away .... the crawl....the pan.....just like it feels like it belongs with the others

19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Another thing I'm very pleased with is the collaborative way the writers are working. Arndt, Kasdan, Kinberg all spitballing ideas together, to make sure that the separate movies and the universe as a whole has cohesion.

VMeran and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Greatest hope? That they get good actors, keep the cgi to a minimum (use real locations) and that they bring back the elements that made star Wars awesome!

In other words do the new films the complete opposite of the prequels...

21. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    My greatest hope is that episode VII will open doors to new corners while still preserving the integrity of the old established mythos. And to have a good ensemble cast who will all get equal screen time ala The Avengers.

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    The OP's list is hard to top. Framing everything in a positive way, I would say:
    1. That GL utilises other talented people at his disposal in key roles.
    2. That special effects are used in order to promote the story, rather than in reverse.
    3. That characters and their development drive the story to a large extent.
    4. That casting is based on acting ability rather than 'looking the part' or celebrity names.
    5. That familiar elements are used only when necessary to the story.
    6. That feels like Star Wars.
    7. That it is steeped in spectacular awesomeness!

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Earlier yesterday, in another forum, Darth Chiznuk wrote this "It could live up to the hype and bring all fans together in harmony once more. You know bring balance back to the Fandom." I thought this was a good sentiment that belonged on the "Hope" thread.

24. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    My only hope is that it doesn't Suck!!!

25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Loving the optimism!

Since I don't really have any major worries, I'd say most of what I feel for E7 is hope and anticipation.
    The things I'm currently most excited for are:
    Michael Arndt
    John Williams
    Michael Kaplan (I loved the costume design in Into Darkness)
    New costumes
    The excitement that comes with getting the first Poster, teaser, trailer, etc.

Things I'm most hopeful for:
    Seeing Luke, Han and Leia again
    A few throwback lines to the OT
    Some nod -even if it's very small- to the EU. It doesn't have to be a character, I'd be happy with just a species or a planet.