main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What makes a Character that Character; Reboots, Reimagines and Recanonization

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AusStig, Apr 18, 2021.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Oh, I see. It could be about that, but I think such an important event should be a movie.

2. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    In that case, it could be a long wait. Not every major galactic event will have a movie from now on, I don't think. Some may be revisited multiple times in different mediums from new perspectives, like the Battle of Jakku has been.

JediBatman likes this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Maybe but they are probably waiting to start ancient past stuff in a movie given just fan outcry for it

4. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Taika, you think?

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

My gut tells me yes! If anyone was gonna do it I think it will most likely be him

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Whilst its not entirely on-topic, I though here was as good a time as any to ask it. Why do Lucasfilm apparently refuse to allow anything to be done with Bothan's in the new canon? There's absolutely nothing about them. It reminds me of how they were very reluctant to touch Boba Fett when the new EU first started because he was originally supposed to get his own film. Could it be a similar scenario with Bothan's? Are they planning something? Has anyone at Lucasfilm ever mentioned this? I just find it curious.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean it's possible, that seems very likely for say Rogue Squadron which has barley been seen in comics or other material but is soon about to get it's own movie none the less.

8. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    Bane could still start the rule of 2 + the grand plan while delaying their “extinction” a few generations. It wouldn’t be all that hard to figure out, especially when faking their extinction was always part of the plan anyway.

AusStig and Sauron_18 like this.
  9. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I definitely hope that’s what canon does, since it’s what makes the most sense. The rule of two is described as an essential part of Sith doctrine from the beginning. And sources closest to Lucas have the Sith emerging from the Jedi Order 2,000 years BBY, conquering and warring for a century or so, and eventually destroying themselves so that only Bane and his apprentice remained. Then the Sith are believed extinct at some point 1,000 years BBY, allowing the Republic to be formed.

I’m not sure whether canon should have a Grand Plan. I like the idea that the Sith tried many different things over the course of a millennium, rather than having one long, gradual plan.

VexedAtVohai and Riv_Shiel like this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

In TCW Maul does mention something about there being only "One Plan-One Design" of course he could just be mentioning Palpatine (And maybe Plagueis by some extension) machinations.

So there may be a Grand Plan, just not a thousand year one and maybe it goes back to Plagueis.

11. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    I like to think the “grand plan” being more of an idea to play dead than reveal themselves shortly before killing all the Jedi. Beyond that, the execution of it all would be left up to the current Sith Master to do however they saw fit.

Riv_Shiel and AusStig like this.
  12. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah I think the "Grand Plan", is just kill the Jedi quietly rather than with armies. Not a step by step guide.

I don't think that at all. I also like the 'joke' that people judge him by his appearance, expect him to be dumb when he has a decent brain, is more cunning than people think.
    @Jid123Sheeve

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Riv_Shiel likes this.
  13. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Maybe it was the DC character that influenced me, but I’ve learnt to not underestimate the intelligence of muscular guys named “Bane”.

JediBatman likes this.
  14. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Indeed, I think Ban might have been an influence on, um Bane.

He will break the Jedi.

15. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    The Propaganda book may have been the first to say that the Sith used to control Coruscant, but I believe the seeds were planted in the Tarkin novel, which said the Jedi Temple was built over an old Sith temple. Personally I'm not too big a fan of this development. IMO this pre Republic era around a thousand years before the films should be its own thing. But these changes from Legends make it seem like pretty much the same status quo as the OT. (An evil empire controlled by Sith rules the galaxy from Coruscant. Possibly with only 2 Sith Lords if they do indeed change Bane's backstory).

Huh? In the first book alone he schemes at the academy to get around the rules and then tricks Khan into causing his own destruction.

IIRC in the Rebel Files thread Dan Wallace said it's basically this. Lucasfilm requested he cut some material he wrote about Bothans, and he speculated this was because it was the kind of plot point they might want to explore more in the future. (That doesn't mean they have a Bothan spin off film lined up or anything of course, just that they're keeping their options open).

AusStig and Krueger like this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This is why I feel if we ever get a series of films about this story...This is the era to set it. You get your evil Empire vs Rebels feel but have it set a few thousand years in the past.

17. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    We've now had 2 out of 3 movie trilogies center around an evil Empire vs underdog Rebels. The Clone Wars had a more evenly matched civil war. The Legacy comics and many Legends books had conflicts with warlords or multiple factions. Many stories deal with crime lords. Even things like KOTOR and TOR, which gave the Sith officers grey uniforms and had ships that looked suspiciously similar to Star Destroyers, didn't have the exact same galactic status quo as the OT. Star Wars can tell more types of stories than evil Empire vs underdog Rebels.

I'm not asking for something out there and weird like the Vong, I just want them to change up formula a bit so it doesn't become stale. The Death Stars stop being special when they're just a few of several planet destroying super weapons. Likewise the Rebellion against the Empire becomes less special if it's just the latest in a line of similar conflicts.

18. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Unless we ignore RotS, there really shouldn't be any more empires ruling the galaxy ("... into the first Galactic Empire!"). That doesn't preclude the Sith ruling Coruscant though.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    JediBatman likes this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

"Once more the Sith shall rule the galaxy....and....we shall have...peace"

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2021
  20. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Damn it! In the same movie, from the same character, too!

Maybe the Sith ruled, but not over an empire?

AusStig likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well it's the FIRST GALACTIC Empire....In that techinally it's not a Empire that people think is a Sith Empire.

Since a Sith Empire is very associated with well the Sith

The Galactic Empire techinally DOES NOT have to be considered part of the Sith and is just considered the Republic now in the form of the Empire

In theory.

AusStig likes this.
  22. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    To me, "Galactic" refers to scale, otherwise why use that word. So either the Sith didn't literally rule the whole galaxy, they did but it wasn't in the form of an empire, or Sidious told one truth and one lie.

Another "certain point of view" moment to add to the pile.

Back to the topic of this thread, has Corran Horn been discussed yet? I doubt he'll be in Rogue Squadron, but he may be referenced in some tie-in material, directly or not.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think a few "Words" isn't gonna stop anyone from having the Sith Empire rule the whole galaxy if they want too.

Story over lore and never let a few "technicalities' get in a way of telling a good story.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2021
  24. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Yep. Hence "a certain point of view".

25. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Even the "Galactic" Empire didn't rule the whole galaxy because regions like Hutt Space and the Unknown Regions weren't fully under control. So much like Obi-wan's "a thousand generations" could be literal (25,000 years) or just mean a really long time, Palpatine's "Once more the Sith shall rule the galaxy" could be interpreted different ways.

As far as Corran Horn, I feel like an easter egg would be the most we would get. Theoretically most of Luke's New Jedi Order (Horn, Katarn, Jade) could be brought into canon with their character pretty unchanged, just like Thrawn was. Kyp Durron would be harder because his story is tied into the Sun Crusher. But just like Thrawn was changed from ruling the whole Empire to hiding in the Unknown Regions, you could do stories about the others joining Luke's academy and then fighting minor warlords. The bad part is that they'd either have to be killed by Kylo, or somehow avoid the events of the ST.

Theoretically possible, but I think it's unlikely. Much like the Bothans, I think Luke's academy is one of those things they're purposely leaving unexplored for possible future stories. Also they'd probably want to make new characters instead of being accused of being unoriginal.

AusStig likes this.