main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What makes a Character that Character; Reboots, Reimagines and Recanonization

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AusStig, Apr 18, 2021.

1. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    This in turn makes me think of Zsinj. He's got the Thrawn style white uniform, but he's heavyset with with an old fashioned bushy mustache that fits his boisterous and theatrical personality.

If I've learned anything from this thread, it's that a unique appearance can do wonders to elevate a villain and show they're somehow atypical from the standard baddies.

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean it's funny right.

Thrawn, Isard, Zsinj, all kinda te same thing of the Post Endor Leader....and yet I think Thrawn because he just got lucky in having all the right traits and characteristics and aestics need was able to break out of the three and reach a level of mainstream popularity that the other two I don't think have.

I mean Isard comes second I would say but that may be due to the fact that the X-Wing novels are popular and not the character herself.

And Zsinj I think only fans who go more in depth of these things would know about.

Sinrebirth and JediBatman like this.
  3. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    There's also the fact that Thrawn was kept being written about by Zahn in Legends, using him as some sort of Anti-Hero protagonist, while Stackpole stopped writing, wasn't that focused on Isard, more on Corran Horn, and Isard was always just an evil bastard, no Anti-Heroism or moral ambiguity at all even from Stackpole.

Still, i like her better, i find her just as smart as Thrawn, too, she made some of the best plans against the NR.

Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    yes it is interesting.

If I have learned anything it is how visual design can help tell a characters story. Thanks @Irredeemable Fanboy

Speaking of I think another reason Thrawn stuck is that he got more stories and they kept going. Xizor got more stories but he was more a side character.

Can you not tell the difference between and Orc and an Urk? wow. (this is a joke btw)

But it does speak to how different views affect things.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  5. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Daala appeared quite a lot as well, yet I don't really think of her as 'iconic' at all. I'm sure lack of a distinct look is part of it, but the stories she appeared in weren't the most well-received either. She's one of those EU characters that has now been made a bit redundant by new characters like Zahra.

AusStig likes this.
  6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I think you have a point. But I think it is more than that, Daala isn't a lead in any of her stories. She isn't even the main threat for most the Jedi Academy books.

If she doesn't get much focus in any of the books,

Who is Zahra?

7. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    An Imperial commander in the current run of the main comic. The main thing she has in common with Daala is that she's Tarkin's protegé, so not quite a 1:1 comparison.

8. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Ok, so she isn't a red head?

What does make Daala, Daala? The things I remember about her is being in charge of the Maw, die hard Imp and then CoS.

9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Daalas red hair was often drawn brownish so Zahra could easily have dyed her hair black only!

10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Any other similarities? Does she hate Jedi and Like Bothans?

Oh are their Iconic bothans?

11. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Just wait for War of the Bounty Hunters... maybe she dates Boba Fett?

12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Did Daala date Fett? I know they had some history.

13. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Less history, more a horizontal work dinner.

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  14. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    that is not an image I needed.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Lady Belligerent likes this.
  16. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Would a retcon putting her in command of the Kessel Star Destroyer in Solo (a re-canonised Gorgon?) be enough, or would you need her to have an actual role with more substance?

I personally feel that she's had her time as a full fledged character, and while canonising her through a reference would be cool, I would prefer to see newer villains fleshed out than have Daala rehashed.

Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I mean unless they end up running the Resistance is it really a rehash?

Also Dash Rendar has been mentioned in some stuff.

What do people think makes Dash, Dash. Since he is knockoff of Han, what makes him unique?

18. I think Mara Jade Xizor, Revan Malak, Galen Marek, Exar Kun, Naga Sadow, Sith species can fit well with the new canon i also want characters like Sate Pestage ,Darth Plagueis or Delta Squad to be relevant like they did in Legends

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  19. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    It wouldn't be a complete rehash of her storyline, so much as a rehash of her personality and backstory, if that makes sense. Is there any canon storyline which would be improved by putting Daala specifically in there? I don't believe there is.

To me, Daala has earned a mention in a visual guide and that's about it. Much like what Dash Rendar has gotten so far, being canonised by Jason Fry's Tales from Vandor.

What would you like to see done with Exar Kun and Naga Sadow? Just references to them as part of galactic history, or actual content starring them?

Riv_Shiel and AusStig like this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Honestly I see Dash Rendar getting more stuff to his name in Canon then Daala at this point.

21. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Absolutely. I'm surprised he hasn't been in one of the Certain Point of View books or mentioned in a comic yet.

AusStig likes this.
  22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Which Sith species? Massassi or the more human looking Sith?

Delta DO exist in canon, do you want Republic Commando back?

23. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    oh, gosh! Yes!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Both species and Massasi

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Given the way Canon is going I don't know if their is room for a Sith Species. I am curious what @Sauron_18 thoughts on this are...I know you've done a lot on Sith background? Does a Sith species still work in the context of Lucas and what NuCanon is going for with the Sith?

I feel like they are doing new characters/squads for them. Bad Batch has taken Delta Squad's place, Plagueis...Well they may use him ...and Pestage...I feel like Mass Amedda is Canon Pestage.

Riv_Shiel likes this.